donttreadonred
Chumlum
RealGunner
RedOranje
Art Morte
92 posters

Page 5 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21 ... 37  Next

Go down

Barclay's Premier League discussion '13-'14 V3 - Page 5 Empty Re: Barclay's Premier League discussion '13-'14 V3

Post by Chumlum Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Spurs spent so much money on a couple of those bench players. Dembele, Eriksen, and Lamela all on the bench.

:bow: :bow: :bow: 

rofl

Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Barclay's Premier League discussion '13-'14 V3 - Page 5 Empty Re: Barclay's Premier League discussion '13-'14 V3

Post by CBarca Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Chumlum wrote:Spurs spent so much money on a couple of those bench players. Dembele, Eriksen, and Lamela all on the bench.

rofl
Not sure if serious or just jealous of Spurs depth.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:54 pm

CBarca wrote:
Chumlum wrote:Spurs spent so much money on a couple of those bench players. Dembele, Eriksen, and Lamela all on the bench.

rofl
I'm not sure it can truly be considered depth when the players have (in general) failed to live up to expectations. Unless you are one of the super-rich clubs, you simply don't pay 57 mil (30 for Lamela + 15 for Dembele + 12 for Eriksen) for "depth". Moreover, it isn't as if these transactions occured over 5-10 seasons. Two were this previous summer, and the other the summer before that. I think it's safe to call them qualified disappointments.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Far too early to call Lamela or Eriksen disappointments and you know that as well as I do.

And Dembele hasn't been a disappointment and indeed has played most games for Spurs both this season and last when not injured.

So I fail to see how any are qualified disappointments. Yes, I certainly fail to see it.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:12 pm

CBarca wrote:

rofl
Third option, mainly - just joking around. No harm meant. That is an expensive attacking midfield bench though. Does AVB think he's still at Chelsea?

(Also: Arsenal fans will be jealous of Spurs' depth when Spurs actually start competing in the CL and finishing above Arsenal in the league. Any day now.)

But yes, in seriousness, I do admit Spurs have mostly bought fairly well the last few seasons. Many of the recent signings are individuals I would have welcomed at Arsenal at the moment Tottenham signed them. A few cases though it's been over the odds - e.g. Soldado, who's quite a good player of course but £26m good? Don't know about that. But anyway it's just weird that so much money has been spent on what are effectively bench/rotation players for a non-CL club. With Chelsea and Man City you can see it, but those are teams that have won the league recently, play regularly in the CL, and have virtually unlimited funds. Even then it looks weird to me to have e.g. Mata or Jovetic sitting bench so much.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Spurs are incredibly boring.

With the players they have they shouldn't be like this.

AVB learning from Mou Proud
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:19 pm

HT

Dominant first half by Spurs they just need to score. Lennon is shit on that left hand side. Vertonghen >>>>>>> Lennon
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Spurs actually have pretty decently today. I'd give you boring every other game but today Spurs have been OK. Everton has been a boring side, but Spurs haven't let them in it. Spurs - 10 attempts, 4 on target. Everton - 2 attempts, 0 on target. That being said yeah like always, Spurs have had trouble getting in behind and creating anything really clear cut.

But yes, in seriousness, I do admit Spurs have mostly bought fairly well the last few seasons. Many of the recent signings are individuals I would have welcomed at Arsenal at the moment Tottenham signed them. A few cases though it's been over the odds - e.g. Soldado, who's quite a good player of course but £26m good? Don't know about that. But anyway it's just weird that so much money has been spent on what are effectively bench/rotation players for a non-CL club. With Chelsea and Man City you can see it, but those are teams that have won the league recently, play regularly in the CL, and have virtually unlimited funds. Even then it looks weird to me to have e.g. Mata or Jovetic sitting bench so much.
Spurs want to compete in all 4 competitions and need the quality to do it. Spurs aren't going to go out there and buy Mata because well quite frankly they'll never attract that kind of talent without CL football, so Spurs are building the best team they can without the lure of CL football IMO. What better way to get INTO CL positions than strength in depth over the course of an entire season? Right now everybody is getting games.

Especially when key injuries to players like Sandro and Dembele at times last year had Tottenham screwed.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:22 pm

IMO verts should have got a penalty by the way. But then people would have complained about Spurs and penalties...
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Barclay's Premier League discussion '13-'14 V3 - Page 5 YFNaOHG
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Anddd hear we go with the choppy stream. Having a nice stream was fun while it lasted.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:37 pm

The Franchise wrote:
vivabarca38 wrote:
The Franchise wrote:Very telling.

I am more critical of the lack of good adjustment from Rodgers rather than the starting line up.

They had a plan to play to their strengths I can only assume, but it became pretty clear early they were coming off second best.

Arsenal had little width or depth, to me, Liverpool should of quickly  dropped off into their own half, midfield and backline close together and no space in between the lines. Pack the middle completely.

The fear of 5 man backline is often 2 v 1 on the wings, Arsenal would of rarely of done that because their front 4 dont spend much time on the wings, they could of had a straight battle between fullback and wingbacks and completely pack the middle.

Would of left Saurez and Sturridge isolated yes, but if Arsenal are going to try and break Pool down the fullbacks would of had to come up and this space is what Suarez thrives on because he loves to run into channels and drag the centerbacks from the middle.

Again, not totally critical of the starting line up or even the plan, but the adjustments were not good. Changing to 4 at the back and then to 3 really didnt solve what the situation was.
This would have bever worked lol.Arsenal would have managed to score with all that possession and tpthey have so many guys to create chances and score and even Liverpool were playing with no playmaker so the build up play  would have moved so slowly from the back and since Arsenal apply little to no pressure the Liverpool players would have eventually had to push up a little bit to be able to play short passes to  pthe strikers.p or Gerrard would have been forced to play long balls to Suarez and Sturridge all game against Kos and Mert and that never would have worked unless it's on the break and it's almost impossible to counter attack Arsenal anyways and it would be way mire harder with no Playmaker.

Liverpool's problems lied in Midfield basically.Henderson was playing on the right alot for some reason and that eft them with two in the middle.The two were outnumbered so they did as in normal situations and were like right infront of the defence to protect the backline but they shouldn't have done that.Basically Gerrard,Lucas and Skrtel and sometimes even TOure were all markingg the same player in Giroud whilst Arsenal dominated possession easily.The two in midfield should have applied some pressure on Arsenaal even by fake ressing to allow them to move the ball a little quicker ande ventually lose the ball.But being two static allowed Arsenal to dominate and one or 2 of the 5 in midfield would make a run that would not be followed and he'd be on goal.Also,Pressing of Suarez and Sturridge was almost non-existent.Arsenal should not have been that relaxed.Johnson was crucial as well as Flanagan was playing as more of a full back then a wing back.
What good is possession if there is no space to create chances?

You just assume they will create chances, why? What type of chances?

And what playmaker do Liverpool need if you are playing on the counter attack? As I said, if you force the Arsenal forwards up, Suarez spins into that space and Gerrard is easily capable of playing direct balls into space.

Having your gameplan be relying on a 35 year old DLP for counters and one of the most error prone defences in the premier league is an extremely risky plan esp in such an important game.Also,Arsenal players make more runs than probs any team in the world.It's not easy at all to defend that,you see guys like Ozil and Cazorla and Ramsey all over the field.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Chiriches

Barclay's Premier League discussion '13-'14 V3 - Page 5 753434d1341273164-andre-villas-boas-watch-andre-villas-boas-007

honestly I think Spurs have the best backline in the league
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Forenze that's hardly science lol.Their defence looks so mich better though with ze Sandro infront of it.what a player he is.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:42 pm

vivabarca38 wrote:
The Franchise wrote:
vivabarca38 wrote:
The Franchise wrote:Very telling.

I am more critical of the lack of good adjustment from Rodgers rather than the starting line up.

They had a plan to play to their strengths I can only assume, but it became pretty clear early they were coming off second best.

Arsenal had little width or depth, to me, Liverpool should of quickly  dropped off into their own half, midfield and backline close together and no space in between the lines. Pack the middle completely.

The fear of 5 man backline is often 2 v 1 on the wings, Arsenal would of rarely of done that because their front 4 dont spend much time on the wings, they could of had a straight battle between fullback and wingbacks and completely pack the middle.

Would of left Saurez and Sturridge isolated yes, but if Arsenal are going to try and break Pool down the fullbacks would of had to come up and this space is what Suarez thrives on because he loves to run into channels and drag the centerbacks from the middle.

Again, not totally critical of the starting line up or even the plan, but the adjustments were not good. Changing to 4 at the back and then to 3 really didnt solve what the situation was.
This would have bever worked lol.Arsenal would have managed to score with all that possession and tpthey have so many guys to create chances and score and even Liverpool were playing with no playmaker so the build up play  would have moved so slowly from the back and since Arsenal apply little to no pressure the Liverpool players would have eventually had to push up a little bit to be able to play short passes to  pthe strikers.p or Gerrard would have been forced to play long balls to Suarez and Sturridge all game against Kos and Mert and that never would have worked unless it's on the break and it's almost impossible to counter attack Arsenal anyways and it would be way mire harder with no Playmaker.

Liverpool's problems lied in Midfield basically.Henderson was playing on the right alot for some reason and that eft them with two in the middle.The two were outnumbered so they did as in normal situations and were like right infront of the defence to protect the backline but they shouldn't have done that.Basically Gerrard,Lucas and Skrtel and sometimes even TOure were all markingg the same player in Giroud whilst Arsenal dominated possession easily.The two in midfield should have applied some pressure on Arsenaal even by fake ressing to allow them to move the ball a little quicker ande ventually lose the ball.But being two static allowed Arsenal to dominate and one or 2 of the 5 in midfield would make a run that would not be followed and he'd be on goal.Also,Pressing of Suarez and Sturridge was almost non-existent.Arsenal should not have been that relaxed.Johnson was crucial as well as Flanagan was playing as more of a full back then a wing back.
What good is possession if there is no space to create chances?

And what playmaker do Liverpool need if you are playing on the counter attack? As I said, if you force the Arsenal forwards up, Suarez spins into that space and Gerrard is easily capable of playing direct balls into space.

Having your gameplan be relying on a 35 year old DLP for counters and one of the most error prone defences in the premier league is an extremely risky plan esp in such an important game.Also,Arsenal players make more runs than probs any team in the world.It's not easy at all to defend that,you see guys like Ozil and Cazorla and Ramsey all over the field.
What does his age have to do with him playing direct balls? I dont even....

And who cares what runs they make if you defend the middle? They dont run wide or behind the defence, so it makes no difference. If you clog the middle space, their runs wont do anything because they would be moving from defensive midfielder to the other. Their off ball running was most devasting with the exact same plan they had yesterday (the opposite of what im suggesting), leaving Lucas alone to deal with the space they play in.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Walker and Dawson are shite, don't be deceived. Spurs have a pretty good backline and Paulinho/Sandro in front of them. That with the pressing and possession Spurs have is why Spurs have been so solid at the back, not because the backline is one of the best.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Deulo coming on!

Damn now I want him to do well but I also don't Sad
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Oh my...Lloris taking a blow to the head from Lukaku's knee.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Lloris staying on?

I'm all for playing tough, but damn, there's no shame in going off after you take a sprinting Lukaku knee to the head IMO. Lloris has to be seeing double.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:19 pm

9 mins added on! Holy cow.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:20 pm

The Franchise wrote:
vivabarca38 wrote:
The Franchise wrote:What good is possession if there is no space to create chances?

What does his age have to do with him playing direct balls? I dont even....

And who cares what runs they make if you defend the middle? They dont run wide or behind the defence, so it makes no difference. If you clog the middle space, their runs wont do anything because they would be moving from defensive midfielder to the other. Their off ball running was most devasting with the exact same plan they had yesterday (the opposite of what im suggesting), leaving Lucas alone to deal with the space they play in.
Age as he'd probably be tired as hell from defending he wouldnt play at top level.And Arsenal dont run behind the defence?!?!!?You wut mate.

What about all those chances they had yesterday.....And they don't even have to run behind the defence.Just behind the midfield line which is how most of their goals have been ths season anyways.And then they'd have to face a defence which contains Sakho,Cissokho and Flanagan.Error prone as *bleep*
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MaraVilla Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:30 pm

what a crap game, draw was a fair result.
MaraVilla
MaraVilla
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:35 pm

How in he'll Dawson still plays for spurs?
Deulofeu with a wonderful play almost scored. Spurs is so boring.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:40 pm

free_cat wrote:How in he'll Dawson still plays for spurs?
Deulofeu with a wonderful play almost scored. Spurs is so boring.
He is their captain.

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:42 pm

I'll be surprised if he starts by the end of the year. Chiriches and Kaboul are both better. He is the longest serving Spurs player in the squad though and is the captain, which is why he plays IMO.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Chiriches is amazing. Another great performance from him today.

Won't be too long until he's being talked about as one of the best CB's in the Prem.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21 ... 37  Next