aford92
Great Leader Sprucenuce
The_Badger
Lex
DeletedUser#1
redsnoopy
11 posters

Go down

Check Tiote says Newcastle will be in top 6 this new season Empty Check Tiote says Newcastle will be in top 6 this new season

Post by redsnoopy Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 pm

His reasoning is that two seasons ago, Newcastle got 5th with virtually the same team as now.

I second his opinion.

redsnoopy
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Check Tiote says Newcastle will be in top 6 this new season Empty Re: Check Tiote says Newcastle will be in top 6 this new season

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:57 pm

more chance of Natalie Portman eating out Mila Kunis again

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Check Tiote says Newcastle will be in top 6 this new season Empty Re: Check Tiote says Newcastle will be in top 6 this new season

Post by redsnoopy Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:01 pm

I didn't made this up, here's the link:

http://sg.soccerway.com/news/2013/August/13/tiote-backs-newcastle-for-top-six-finish/n236981/

redsnoopy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:03 pm

Check "1-2, 1-2" Tiote said that?
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:07 pm

They certainly have the players capable of that, but not the manager.

He's rode his luck, Ashley needs to get rid and bring someone in that isn't a disaster like Pardew.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by redsnoopy Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Pardew looks blur

Arsene Wenger might cross over to Newcastle with his whole bunch of assistants if Arsenal runs out of patience with him

redsnoopy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Not a chance.

We will be lucky to get top 10 and most NUFC fans i know share that opinion.

Tiote isn't the smartest tool in the box though as his play shows so this isn't surprising.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by aford92 Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Not happening unfortunately. The squad is good, we could do with another striker, a left winger and possibly a right back but other than that it's decent. We aren't in Europe this season so the players won't be so fatigued because they don't have to do the Sunday-Thursday-Sunday routine. So we should be better than last season. But the biggest problem still remains the manager. Until we get rid of Pardew we won't consistently be a top 8 team, even if the squad is of that quality.
aford92
aford92
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by redsnoopy Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Last season Newcastle started out well actually and everyone was blabbing about a top six, but slides down after about 1/3 through the season,  hit by numerous injuries.

If they can remain relatively injury free and add one more quality striker,  they'll maintain consistency and go far, with or without Pardew

Injuries are the scourge of teams, example if Man U's 5 key players eg van Persie and Rio Ferdinand and Rooney, etc pick up long term injuries, they'll be done for

redsnoopy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:28 pm

NUFC have a better team (if gelled together) than the likes of Everton, Swans, or Liverpool imo. What they need to do is get rid of the manager. Get Roberto Di Matteo asap!
(there I said it)
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Liverpool have much better forwards than we do, even if you think we are better in other areas it all means little when Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge are comfortably better what we can muster.

Even with a good manager it would still be difficult to finish above them.

Everton and Swansea i agree with however, if you gave me Micheal Laudrup i can almost guarantee us and Swansea would swap places.

But alas its all a pipe dream.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Forwards cant single handedly win you games (Yes, RVP i know :facepalm: ). Overall I think Newcastle are a better team than LFC.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Well maybe but until we get a manager which allows us to play our natural game and get the most from the players we have Liverpool will always be better.

Even if we have better individuals ( i happen to think we don't but i can see the argument)
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:Forwards cant single handedly  win you games (Yes, RVP i know :facepalm: ). Overall I think Newcastle are a better team than LFC.
I know Arsenal fans these days look at everything to belittle LFC over Suarez saga, but pleas stamp Laughing

brb 6-0
brb 3-1
brb conceded 25 goals less than NUFC last season
brb 2nd most number of clean sheets in the league

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:05 pm

It's interesting, we had a brief spell as "ooh I like them, they play pretty football now and are on their way up" team among neutrals for the last 6 months of the season, and three months later - with no major losses - all of a sudden everyone's forgotten about that. Sure, we haven't strengthened as much as hoped for, but I'm not sure how we're back to being slated just a few months after the dominant run we had to end the season.

It's even by our own fans, in some ways; somehow all the optimism from January-May went out the window.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:16 pm

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:Forwards cant single handedly  win you games (Yes, RVP i know :facepalm: ). Overall I think Newcastle are a better team than LFC.
dat butthurt is evident
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:18 pm

"No significant losses"

Well, we did lose our vice-captain and all-around leader as well as longest serving player in Carragher. AND we lost the third-longest serving player and major personality in the dressing room in Reina. You could (and I'm sure will) argue that they've been replaced by equal/better players on the pitch, but their leadership and personalities will still be missed, and we did still lose a lot of LFC experience.

That said, I think Liverpool's starting XI is superior to Newcastle's in most areas and our squad depth is currently (slightly) better at least. Then there's the management team for both clubs...
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Butthurt for what? I am merely giving you an honest objective feedback. You s think that me saying NUFC are a better team than LFC is because I am bitter about Suarez not being able to join us? FFs lol it is you who is delusional.

LFC finishing where they did vs New Castle Uniteds position in the pl chart-

Tell me which one of it was more of a fluke?
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:Butthurt for what? I am merely giving you an honest objective feedback. You s think that me saying  NUFC are a better team than LFC is  because I am bitter about Suarez not being able to join us? FFs lol it is you who is delusional.

LFC finishing where they did vs New Castle Uniteds  position in the pl chart-

The biggest fluke was Newcastle's finish two seasons ago... which is what you appear to be basing your entire analysis around.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:25 pm

I was gonna say except Carra, and somehow Pepe slipped my mind. Regardless of your opinion on Mignolet, Pepe has been replaced at least adequately; I think we all agree that if there is a dropoff in quality due to distribution/leadership, it won't be a drastic difference, and it's debatable whether or not one will occur at all.

As for Carra, I personally don't feel that he was the exciting part of those last 6 months. He definitely improved our defense - the stats alone will support that - but it wasn't too long ago that he was getting skinned under Kenny and many LFC fans were praying for Agger to get back from injury so he wouldn't be on the pitch anymore. I think the emotion and adrenaline of the approaching retirement raised his game, and he wouldn't be able to continue that into this year if he had kept playing.

But that point is speculation, and I'll move past it for now - my point is that the loss of one player, even one as influential and as much of a leader as Jamie Carragher, does not end the progress we were looking at. I'm not satisfied with how our defense looks at the moment, but our defense was not the exciting part at the end of last season. The attacking movement of Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge was, along with the resurgence of Lucas and the continued great play of Gerrard - and you'll note, all of those players are still with the team. The optimism, at least for me, came from seeing our front line have incisiveness and creativity we had lacked in recent years, and the fact that we were winning games because of it. So I'm not sure what's changed so drastically to see everyone, both neutrals and our own fans, writing off Liverpool as no longer progressing (or even regressing).
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:27 pm

RedOranje wrote:
Arsenalfaithfull wrote:Butthurt for what? I am merely giving you an honest objective feedback. You s think that me saying  NUFC are a better team than LFC is  because I am bitter about Suarez not being able to join us? FFs lol it is you who is delusional.

LFC finishing where they did vs New Castle Uniteds  position in the pl chart-

The biggest fluke was Newcastle's finish two seasons ago... which is what you appear to be basing your entire analysis around.
I actually read an interesting grantland article the other day about advanced metrics in football, (and yes it acknowledges that they're difficult to use and problematic etc. etc.), but the one they've seen any moderate success with so far says that Newcastle far overshot their abilities two years ago, but actually slightly underperformed this past year.  They regressed even beyond what was expected from the statistical regression.

Regardless, though, the point was that their great finish two years ago should never have happened, and that they benefitted from a lot of luck to get there.

Edit: The article, for anyone wondering: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/70829/what-is-total-shots-ratio-and-how-can-it-improve-your-understanding-of-soccer

And before it starts a stats vs. eye test argument, yes, we all know there are massive issues with metrics like this.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Tbf even if we did fluke two years ago the team is miles better now and its not even close tbh.

Its not like you are comparing identical teams to when we finished 5th.

We have only really lost Ba but gained Anita, Sissoko, Remy, Yanga-Mbiwa, Gouffran, Haidara and Debuchy.

Not to mention Ben Arfa hardly kicked a ball till February that year and Cisse didn't kick a ball till then.

Our team for the majority of that season was....

Krul
Simpson Williamson Coloccini R.Taylor
Obertan Cabaye Tiote Jonas
Best Ba

The quality between the teams is astronomical, but sadly Pardew could get more from that team than he can from a quite clearly vastly superior talent wise squad we have now.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Which really only supports my point, Mole. He's basing his claim that Newcastle are in a better position to finish in the top 5/6 than Liverpool off of a fluke season from a squad that no longer exists.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Fair enough, i'm of the believe these comparisons are a waste of time into we get a manager who can get the most from the players we have.

Which most likely will be never, or they will leave before we do.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 am

The forehead has spoken. :bow:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down