Abramovich
Shed
Kick
10 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Assessing our Defence Empty Assessing our Defence

Post by Kick Sat 6 Apr - 2:13:35

You would be lying if you said Chelsea's defence had been anywhere near a typical solid Chelsea defence this season. The decline and injuries of key players and inconsistencies have made it difficult to get any sort of solid back four. The addition of many matches due to our hectic schedule has meant rotation was a must and this has not helped our cause. I figured I'd take a moment to take a look at our defence and assess what is needed to improve ahead of next season.

First and foremost, Cech. Take a bow son. You have been brilliant once again.  :wub:

Next, Right back, which, in my opinion, has been the most solid of any of our back four. Branislav Ivanovic has been solid when deployed there and Cesar Azpilicueta has proven to be a worthy back up and in recent weeks, has looked good enough to be a starter going forward. I have no issues here unless Ivanovic moves to a more permanent spot at CB in which case a back up to Azpilicueta might be needed.

Left Back, I don't know about you but I have been very disappointed with Ashley Cole this season. He is no where near his form of 09/10 and the steady regression since then has continued this season. While he is still a top class LB, he is clearly on the way out and I imagine it will be sooner rather than later that he will have to be replaced. Ryan Bertrand has tried his best to fill Ash's boots but has been unable to, while he looks to be a decent Squad player, I am having my doubts as to whether Berty can be a starter for us. Patrick Van Aanholt has had a decent season on loan and could look to try for the first team next season. Luke Shaw has been linked with us time and time again and could prove to be the long term LB we are looking for. a buy + loan back could prove to be a good move for us. Beyond that, I don't see many changes in this position.

Now for the real shambles, Centre back. I shall start with our Captain, Leader, Legend, John Terry. John has had a clear Decline this season and it has not been helped by his injuries. It has gotten to the point where the management has not seen him as a starter, and myself, I am not sure he warrants a starting spot automatically either. While Terry still brings the same things to the table that he always has, his lack of speed and injury problems have been worrying. A change to the system next season and steering clear of injuries could be the way to get JT's form back.

Gary Cahill, I know many of you don't Rate Gary but I feel with some positioning training and a proper defensive structure he could be a starter for us. This season he has proved to be very good at last ditch tackles but often gets in these positions due to his lack of positioning. He has shown he is 100% committed to Chelsea and gives his all for the club. I think if he was paired with a Centre back with great positioning, the Defence would be very solid. However, having David Luiz as a centre back partner for most of this season, Gary has struggled at times due to Daivd Luiz's David Luizness.

Which brings me to David Luiz, The love of many Chelsea faithful's lives. At the end of last season things were looking up for Luiz, who was looking very solid in defence and had cut out many of his flaws. Almost a year on and he looks like the problematic CB we bought in 2011. His move to the midfield did not help with controlling his attacking tendencies and his eagerness to get the ball. Perhaps a permanent move to Midfield is on the cards with Chelsea looking to acquire a CB to replace him instead of buying a CM.

Branislav Ivanovic, Again. At CB I never felt he was that good until his showings recently. His flaws are not as prominent as the rest but having said that, his strengths are not as prominent either. He quietly goes about his business at CB and does a decent job of it. I still prefer him at RB but on current form, He should be starting at CB with Azpilicueta at RB. That being said, I feel he is still the weakest CB when everyone is on form.

Resolution: With the right manager I feel our defence will pick up next season however, a few things must be done to ensure our defence does improve, First: pick a starting back four early and stick with it! Second: play a system that suits our defence! Third: decide on David Luiz' role in the future, CM or CB? and stick with it.  Fourth: Learn from the mistakes of this season and try to rectify them.
I also feel that Mikel should be included in this as at times I have seen him wildly out of position and this needs to be corrected for increased stability in defence.

The other option is to buy someone such as Dede or a CB with great positioning. If this happens, David Luiz should be moved to midfield full time as I feel we will have too many CB's otherwise.

Now for the customary formation should we buy a CB such as Dede:
Cech
Ivanovic Dede Terry Cole
Mikel Luiz
Mata Oscar Hazard
Ba

thoughts?
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Assessing our Defence Empty Re: Assessing our Defence

Post by Shed Sat 6 Apr - 2:29:30

Not much more to say, is there Kicky? Smile
You've pretty much outlined everything and there's little there I personally disagree with. Azpi looks the part for RB; JT, Cahill, Brana and what's looking like another addition will make up the numbers at CB; Luiz possibly as well as soon as the club make a necessary decision on his position going forward; and Ash Cole will finish out his Chelsea career with Bertie continuing to develop and eventually Super Lukey Shaw coming in Proud
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat 6 Apr - 2:40:50

ShedEnd1905 wrote:Not much more to say, is there Kicky? Smile
You've pretty much outlined everything and there's little there I personally disagree with. Azpi looks the part for RB; JT, Cahill, Brana and what's looking like another addition will make up the numbers at CB; Luiz possibly as well as soon as the club make a necessary decision on his position going forward; and Ash Cole will finish out his Chelsea career with Bertie continuing to develop and eventually Super Lukey Shaw coming in Proud

I could write more. It would take up more time and I would probably have to re watch some matches though. Razz

I wasn't sure of Azpilicueta when we first signed him, I knew he'd be better than Bosingwa but didn't think he would be this good. he has really impressed me, to a point where I'd be quite happy with him starting next season. I feel our best CB pairing is very much based on opinion as I feel currently Cahill-Ivanovic is the best. I also know I rate Cahill a lot higher than many other do. I think if we bring in a CB with great positioning, a back four of Azp-Cahill-CB-Cole would be very solid indeed. Many will disagree though. Laughing
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun 7 Apr - 18:05:03

If you guys want, I could do a few threads for the rest of the team' just let me know. I don't want to waste my time if no one reads it.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun 7 Apr - 18:08:49

Kick wrote:If you guys want, I could do a few threads for the rest of the team' just let me know. I don't want to waste my time if no one reads it.
I read it Kicky :wub:
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Sun 7 Apr - 22:35:55

I like these kind of posts too, so keep doing it. Although I can't be bothered doing posts like these myself, I do like replying to them. Like to view other peoples viewpoints even if I don't agree with some of them myself, it's still good to have a healthy friendly debate amongst fellow blues.

First point totally agreed on Cech, he's at least got 1 more season after this as our 100% undisputed #1.

Right back I always had faith in Dave after seeing him shut out Ribery them 2 games, when Ribery was absolutely flying. Note he also shut out our own boy Eden Twisted Evil.

Left back if I'm honest I was more disappointed with Cole last season then this season, I feel he's picked up a little compared with last season, however I agree and don't think Ryan will ever be a starter for Chelsea. I'm totally on the good lad Luke Shaw train, riding that til Man Utd or Arsenal bid for him although can't see him turning us down for any of those teams being a Chelsea fan and all.

Center backs is not the strongest this season for reals, I'd personally like to give JT a bit more time to see how he's doing. I don't think hes regressed as much as some people like to point out especially the media, he hasn't been really given a run of games under Rafa for me and us personally to give a full judgement on how he is actually doing.

For me Luiz is the best CB we have and I don't want him at CM, I believe we as a club need a ball playing CB and with the way football is going it's also important. Sure he has his moments of madness, but on form he is hands down for me the best CB we have. In footballing terms I feel he is very immature and rash, but personally I believe he will improve as he gets more experience and he's relatively young for a CB.

Some of you may be aware about my thoughts of Cahill in which I have bashed him occasionally, that doesn't mean to say I don't rate him, because I do but I don't think he's starter quality for us. However he is a great squad CB, he is great in the air I mean he's completely awesome at both ends (although I think Bran trumps him for me but we'll get onto that later) but as I've pointed out many times and also kick has in this thread that his positioning really leaves a lot to be desired. Saying that he can only improve in that aspect by playing games and getting more experience and hopefully he will do so, as he has a lot of passion and I really do hope for the best for him. Also forgot to add his sexy striking of the ball <3.

Now on to Bran, this guy I love he is a mean bastard who is surprisingly quicker than he looks. Currently on form I believe he's our best CB and he's also a very capable RB which is a huge bonus. I believe he's the best in the air for our team, especially the timing of his jumps and the funny thing is I actually somewhat think he's a better finisher than the unmasked Chelsea Torres eco smile . He is a true lion heart and I really do hope he stays for a long time, as his versatility will be key for us going further in the future.

Don't think I need to add any more paragraphs/can't be bothered to do so eco smile or so but to summarise in case I left out a few things my thoughts:

• Luiz please no CM and stay CB

• If we get Dede I'd be very happy (That being said CM priority for me)

• Mikel although I hate on him often, is pretty important for the line up and formation we play

Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Mon 8 Apr - 3:47:12

I did read it, but I'm quite thoughtless these days Razz keep it coming mate.
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

http://twitter.com/iNFINITY9910

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon 8 Apr - 5:24:46

Alright, I'll do 2 for the midfield and 1 for attack.

I'll also reply to your post soon Ade.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sat 7 Dec - 22:24:14

José Mourinho says Chelsea defence is 'a big concern' following shock 3-2 loss to Stoke City:
José Mourinho admitted Chelsea's porous defence is "a big concern" after his side lost 3-2 at the Britannia on Saturday
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/9062462/premier-league-jose-mourinho-admits-chelsea-defence-is-a-big-concern

"The big problem for me is the way we play. The other day at Sunderland, we conceded goals at set pieces and today we had another one - but don't speak to me about organisation, because it's not about that."
"We don't score enough goals for the football we play."
When asked what the differences were between his previous Chelsea team and the current squad, he said: "A few! A few very important differences."

"But I have to try and get the best out of the squad I have. I see a big evolution in some players - pressing high, recovering balls, playing fast, mobility in the three players behind the striker. In my opinion, we are playing some very good football... and we concede some goals that we shouldn't."
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Sat 7 Dec - 22:56:34

We conceded a goal similar to those conceded in the last match (the set piece one). Clearly it is a problem with defensive organization despite what Jose says.
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sat 7 Dec - 23:03:25

Yea, not sure what he's on about there.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Nedved Sun 8 Dec - 0:03:56

I don't like Iva on the right putting meaningless crosses, he should go back to center and Azi to right. Cole/Bert to take care left.
Nedved
Nedved
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun 8 Dec - 0:41:25

Assessing our Defence Tumblr_mxgkboQqbs1ruhh4yo1_1280

Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun 8 Dec - 2:12:39

Honestly, I want DL4 back, yes he makes mistakes but he is also very good when he doesn't. we're conceding more without him than we did with him. Too bad we can't get T. Silva, those two are GOAT's in the Brazil NT.

I'd also like to see Cole back at LB and Azpilicueta at RB.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nedved Sun 8 Dec - 2:35:21

I don't think DL will be any better, just that Terry & Cahill need rest and rotation and he can give that. Mou again is not making good use of resources. Adamant old pr**k.
Nedved
Nedved
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun 8 Dec - 2:39:24

An on form DL4 is world class, who says he won't come back and hit great form and sure up our defence?

Even an Average DL4 is better than our defence currently.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun 8 Dec - 2:53:51

Kick wrote:Honestly, I want DL4 back, yes he makes mistakes but he is also very good when he doesn't.

That's like saying, 'Torres may be shit, but when he's not missing sitters, breaking down every promising attack we work up, and having the general usefulness of a crippled horse, he's quite good'.

Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun 8 Dec - 3:00:42

No it isn't, DL4 has shown form for us while Torres hasn't.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun 8 Dec - 3:05:27

His poorness is more covered up than Torres' by the fact that he has multiple people doing the same job as him so his numerable messes are often cleaned up by others and are thus less obvious (and also means the blame for the our cock-ups at the back are spread around/assigned collectively to the back-line). Torres' are more glaring as he's the only striker on the pitch and the only one with his particular task, with nowhere or nothing to hide behind/share blame with after the fact.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Nedved Sun 8 Dec - 3:59:01

Well said Shed.
Nedved
Nedved
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun 12 Jan - 0:52:56

Assessing our Defence Tumblr_mz9e47EiGr1ruhh4yo1_1280

Seeing alot of people making this point today. Coincidence, or something to it?

Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun 12 Jan - 1:01:53

I honestly believe Azpilicueta is better than Ivanovic, I don't think our clean sheets are solely down to Lampard and Ivanovic being out as Jose has altered tactics slightly in recent times.

However, I really want to see Azpilicueta play even when Ivanovic is fit.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun 12 Jan - 1:06:33

On the right you mean, yes?
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun 12 Jan - 1:14:29

Yes.

Although, Not overly happy with how Cole is playing on the left.

Buy Shaw Pls.

Cech
Azpilicueta Cahill Terry Shaw
Ramires Matic
Willian Oscar Hazard
Rooney

Next season ffs Proud
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin