Who was the last high profile player who left Serie A for another league and was a success?

+23
S
nichabr
M99
fatman123
Brigate Rossonere
gkamtu
Dnmac4
Guiltybystander
Arquitecto
Ganso
cyberman
The Messiah
Swanhends
Jack Daniels
Batigoal
Vibe
valencia_1990
Gil
soccer_ball
EarlyPrototype
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Giggslegend
JuvenelCuore
27 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who was the last high profile player who left Serie A for another league and was a success? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who was the last high profile player who left Serie A for another league and was a success?

Post by Gil Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Zarate?

Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Who was the last high profile player who left Serie A for another league and was a success? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who was the last high profile player who left Serie A for another league and was a success?

Post by cyberman Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:06 pm

[quote="bhends"][quote="cyberman"]no it doesnt bhends

ronaldo, alonso, carbalho, mascherano, pique, henry, ruud, robben etc were all sucess in foreign leagues while moving from england[/quote]

And every one of them went to Spain..

Boateng and Robinho were good, can't argue with that[/quote]Italy not having the glamour nor the money to attract these players isnt really a counter point...

cyberman
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:25 pm

Sepi wrote:Recent Serie A OUT transfers I could think of:

Dossena- FAIL
Ibra- FAIL (though some would argue with the verdict)
Aquilani- FAIL (Extra ordinary circumstances, and could still turn it around Cool )
Balotelli- JURY OUT, Not a SUCCESS yet for sure
Kolarov- JURY OUT (Fail IMO, no wonder they bought Clichy, AK has been a disappointment so far)
Veron- FAIL
Shevchenko- FAIL
Quaresma to Chelsea (Loan)- FAIL
Kjaer- FAIL
Kaka- FAIL

I didn't include lesser transfers like Trez to Hercules which was a success, since it was more like a retirement package for him, and not a big transfer.

Interesting, isn't it ?

-Dossena: Never was a good player or had any success
-Aquilani: Rafa never played him and when he did, Alberto was great. Plus lets not forget injuries.
-Kolarov was always average yet city was stupid enough as usual to buy him for a super price
-Veron: Always had been part of the old fashioned breed who have trouble adapting to pace and physicality along with the pressure of the price tag on him resulted in his demise.
Sheva: Him? Imagine if your wife forces you into a place you don't want to go leaving a team you do not want to leave onto a coach who shows you zero faith. He was miserable when he stepped foot in england. Lets not forget his flop when he came back to the serie a on loan. Sheva hasn't been the same since he left.
Quaresma- When was he ever a success at any league? He flopped at Inter.
Kjaer- Once again, was always overrated by Palermo fans and never was even above average.
- Kaka? He has had modest success when on the pitch even when he hasn't been ever played properly. Also, constant injuries have destroyed his years. He hasn't had time to prove himself.
Boateng- His performances for Ghana ring a bell along with being coached by nutjobs in Portsmouth
-Robinho? Who doesn't flop at City with all the chaos there?

The logic here is preposterous as I don't see the reason for this.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:39 am

Bergkamp?

But more recently maybe ... Maxwell? He wasn't a huuuge fail. Rossi sort of played in Italy etc... Zambrotta...
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:41 am

"Last player be successful in La Liga and Serie A

Eto'o and......"

wesley sneijder comes to mind. Van Bommel as well.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:44 am

"Last player from La Liga to make it in EPL

Silva and ....."

Van der Vaart, Yaya Toure
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by gkamtu Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 am

so u mean a sanchez will fail also thats why he doesnt want to agree positively fast..
gkamtu
gkamtu
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigate Rossonere Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 am

When Sanchez, Pastore fail, then I will believe voodoo.
Brigate Rossonere
Brigate Rossonere
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Napoli

http://acmilan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:46 am

i do disagree with some of the ones put forward by the OP but looking back Gianfrnaco Zola was one of the best players of the premier league era after leaving parma for chelsea in '96
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:55 pm

Zidane
Ronaldo
Zola
Toni
Henry
Bergkamp
Gourcuff
Milito
Zambrotta
Roberto Carlos
Viera
Vieri
Trezeguet

Who was the last high profile player who left Serie A for another league and was a success? - Page 2 2859867778
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:57 pm

milanista99 wrote:Zidane
Ronaldo
Zola
Toni
Henry
Bergkamp
Gourcuff
Milito
Zambrotta
Roberto Carlos
Viera
Vieri
Trezeguet

Who was the last high profile player who left Serie A for another league and was a success? - Page 2 2859867778

Most aren't really recent transfers and Gourcuff is a fail.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:07 pm

the only recent high profile player to leave italy was kaka and he didnt exactly leave in the best of shape....i can't think of anyone else...
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Guiltybystander wrote:
milanista99 wrote:Zidane
Ronaldo
Zola
Toni
Henry
Bergkamp
Gourcuff
Milito
Zambrotta
Roberto Carlos
Viera
Vieri
Trezeguet

Most aren't really recent transfers and Gourcuff is a fail.

He was Bordeaux's best player when they won Ligue 1 and this year he was under Puel. Let's see what he does this season.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigate Rossonere Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Giuseppe Rossi :coffee:
Brigate Rossonere
Brigate Rossonere
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:22 pm

Zambrotta was a flop, just sayin.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigate Rossonere Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:Zambrotta was a flop, just sayin.

I wouldn't say flop. Underperformer yes, but flop? No.
Brigate Rossonere
Brigate Rossonere
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm

luca toni transferred to bayern at the age of 30 and i think he had a fair share of success at bayern until age started to take a toll on him..

even though barzagli is by no means a high profile player ,i think he did quite ok at wolfsburg..he did win a buli title infact..

but in recent memory ,i cant think of any high profile serie a player who was a success in pl and la liga
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigate Rossonere Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:03 am

Once again, Giuseppe Rossi.
Brigate Rossonere
Brigate Rossonere
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:29 am

I think it's about the player's ability (to shine in different situation) and (to a lesser extent) the age that dictates if a player will shine in a different league, not the league.

Zidane (Italy-Spain), Eto (Spain-Italy), C Ronaldo (England-Spain), Alonso (Spain-England-Spain) and many more players have made the switch to a different league and became a success.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:43 am

Rossi wasn't really a high profile player when he left though; Henry similarly falls into this category. Luca Toni was brilliant at Bayern however and Ibrahimovic didn't flop, he simply wasn't a good fit for Barcelona in the end, but his talent still led to an incredible start to his career there before things became unmanagable. Vital goals against Stuttgart and Arsenal on your way to a narrow semi-final exit, whilst taking the league title is pretty good for a 'lack of success.'

Who has actually left in their peak though, recently? Kaka and Shevchenko were both sold above their value given their age or injury record.

Gourcuff should definitely be counted as a success and he left from Milan to Bordeaux and was the best player in the league. His impact in his second season was reduced, however he was only a flop when he transferred from Bordeaux to Lyon. We can't be held responsible for inter-league transfers.

Also I believe this is the first time in history that Dossena has been called a high profile player.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:21 am

Giuseppe Rossi was the first name that came to mind. Ok he wasn't a high profile player yet, but many had high hopes for him given his huge potential. Luca Toni had a great first season at Bayern, then came age and the problems with Van Gaal. Grosso and Barzagli kind of flopped outside of Italy.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 am

Sorry Mike but I got to disagree. How is Rossi not living up to expectations?

In 56 apps he has 32 goals.
In his last 4 apps he has 3 goals and 2 assists for Italy

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:32 am

He's living up to if not exceeding expectations, however it's not like his move to Villarreal - from a footballing perspective going from Parma - was comparable to Kaka or Ibrahimovic leaving for Spain. He's a definite success, but he's been made a high profile player after the fact.

Note: I spelt Villarreal correctly for once, just for you Rg.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:33 am

sciacca wrote:Sorry Mike but I got to disagree. How is Rossi not living up to expectations?

When the hell did I say he wasnt living up to expectations?
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:35 am

ErPupone wrote:
sciacca wrote:Sorry Mike but I got to disagree. How is Rossi not living up to expectations?

Just show's how my English is so bad. When I read it, I thought you said he didn't live up to his potential, but I completely misunderstood that.

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:41 am

sciacca wrote:
ErPupone wrote:

Just show's how my English is so bad. When I read it, I thought you said he didn't live up to his potential, but I completely misunderstood that.

K it's all good. I meant that it wasn't really a high profile transfer at the time, but he did have a lot of promise and potential (which he is now reaching). He's been a great success so far.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next