Wrestling dropped from the 2020 Olympics

+3
FalcaoPunch
Eman
ELO
7 posters

Go down

Wrestling dropped from the 2020 Olympics Empty Wrestling dropped from the 2020 Olympics

Post by ELO Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:56 pm

This is a disgrace...
They cut one of the original olympic disciplins in favour of something like softball or modern pentathlon...
IOC & FIFA should be overthrown...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/wrestling/9864610/Wrestling-dropped-from-2020-Olympics-and-will-vie-with-softball-and-squash-for-place-when-IOC-reconvene.html
ELO
ELO
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Wrestling dropped from the 2020 Olympics Empty Re: Wrestling dropped from the 2020 Olympics

Post by Eman Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 pm

:facepalm:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Wrestling dropped from the 2020 Olympics Empty Re: Wrestling dropped from the 2020 Olympics

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Eman wrote::facepalm:

Cannot claim to be a big fan of wrestling, but I have the utmost respect for athletes and find this news to be sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by ELO Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 pm

It's not the Most popular spectator sport, but you can find different forms of wrestling in every culture around the globe. It's just ridiculous to drop it when you look at the disciplines they include in the olympics... rhythmic gymnastics? dressage? bmx?
ELO
ELO
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 pm

You can't try supporting one sport by bashing another sport though.

Because spandex and lets say guys hugging,rolling, and grunting over one another is kind of gay.

See what I did there?
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:06 pm

I don't think he was actually bashing those other sports; he just said that it was ridiculous to drop wrestling when they will continue to hold other events (keep in mind wrestling is one of the original olympic disciplines, hence ELO's outrage).

See what I did there?

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:18 pm

I can see where he's coming from.
It's fine if you question other inclusion of certain sports in the Olympics. And I'd honestly favor wrestling than the ones he mentioned.

Even if wrestling is one of the original disciplines, times change. Is that enough merit to remove the sport? I'm not one to say yes or no.

But just because there's rhythmic gymnastics, dressage, bmx, softball, and modern pentathlon. I can't say if one is better than the other or if one should stay over another.

Same case with wrestling.

FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:32 pm

I agree with your notion of not saying one should stay over the other, but I am inclined to side with one of the original disciplines (I understand that we cannot live in the past, but I think wrestling still has a place in the olympics).

I am mostly thinking about the Wrestlers/athletes that will suffer and not get a chance to represent their Country on the biggest stage (?). I would prefer that they choose not to remove any sports, but that is just not the way life works.

Apparently this is not a final decision: British Wrestling chief executive Colin Nicholson said the decision was very disappointing but was hopeful the IOC would change its mind later in the year.

''It is very disappointing, however it's not a final decision and we would hope to be added back in September,'' he said.

Back to top Go down

Post by ELO Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:00 pm

FalcaoPunch wrote:I can see where he's coming from.
It's fine if you question other inclusion of certain sports in the Olympics. And I'd honestly favor wrestling than the ones he mentioned.

Even if wrestling is one of the original disciplines, times change. Is that enough merit to remove the sport? I'm not one to say yes or no.

But just because there's rhythmic gymnastics, dressage, bmx, softball, and modern pentathlon. I can't say if one is better than the other or if one should stay over another.

Same case with wrestling.

First of all, i have nothing against the sports i mentioned at all. Smile

And it's ok if you don't have an opinion about the topic either, but don't fault me because i have one.

Bottomline is that they want to drop wrestling, one of the oldest, most natural and most widespread sports in the world, one of the original olympic disciplines, just to potentially make more profit.
ELO
ELO
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Take out the incentive for wrestlers, and the quality will decrease. It's a very competitive sport with a lot of great athletes that train from the time they are children, and it's practiced in some way, shape or form in pretty much any country. Taking away a competitive sport like that where the best lock horns and truly determine the best while leaving more subjective sports still in there (example: BMX, synchronized swimming, etc.) just seems wrong to me. A gold medal in wrestling means something, IMO more than in many of the other competitions.

I wrestled in high school for a year, yet I never enjoyed watching it and preferred other martial disciplines. Regardless, I respect those who succeed in it a lot due to the extremely high level of devotion necessary to succeed in it, and it is actually a practical sport (see: MMA), so I am very much against this decision.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:12 pm

I wrestled for two years about 6 years ago, and I have a lot of respect for wrestling, it's a hard, tough sport and I have only admiration for wrestlers. It doesn't help that my brother was actually high school state champion of wrestling for his weight bracket, too. Not the greatest spectator sport, I can agree with Eman there, or at least my view agrees with him.

I think this is a bit ridiculous though. I certainly can think you can classify some 'sports' as better than others (and when I say better I mean...more athletic, more true to what a sport really is)- why? Because it's hard for me to even classify something like rhythmic gymnastics as a sport- it's really more of an art form...it's much less of a sport than wrestling is- wrestling is pure sport, it's raw strength/technique and athleticism at its best ffs.

I mean one might argue if you're including rhythmic gymnastics in there then you might as well throw dancing in there too.

But wrestling?

Wrestling is as much a sport as swimming or football is. It's probably more deserving of being in a sporting event like the Olympics than something like-for the sake of continuity in my post- rhythmic gymnastics.

If they're taking wrestling out, I'm expecting football to be taken out next...
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:52 am

Yeah, this really pisses me off. Wrestling was part of the reason I was able to go to college for free, and I admittedly always had aspirations of making the Olympic team. I think it's crazy that they are going to pull wrestling during the Olympics in Russia, which is another wrestling powerhouse.

Not sure what the IOA is trying to accomplish, but I feel fairly confident that it will be awarded the final spot available in 2020 just due to it being Russia.

Admittedly, who watches the Olympics anymore?
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 am

And the sports they're looking at to replace it makes this look even more like a joke.

What a farce.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:21 am

Disgraceful.

It's one of the oldest sports in human history ffs. That said, I don't see it being gone forever.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:21 am

ELO wrote:It's not the Most popular spectator sport, but you can find different forms of wrestling in every culture around the globe. It's just ridiculous to drop it when you look at the disciplines they include in the olympics... rhythmic gymnastics? dressage? bmx?

Dressage. People riding around in a bare paddock. They don't even jump over anything. There's no objective - just look good while riding around on a horse. I can't believe people hand out medals for that. Chess is more of a sport than dressage.

Rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming, etc. all that song and dance stuff isn't sport either. At least BMX is a race with a start and a finish. Not a huge fan of wrestling, but it's more of a sport than dressage and the like will ever be.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down