BarrileteCosmico
Lex
Yuri Yukuv
12 posters

Go down

Barca's bait and switch Empty Barca's bait and switch

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:57 am

Sorry if this was posted before, if it was mods can delete

The Qatar Foundation gave the Barcelona shirt sponsorship rights to Qatar Airways

The shirt sponsorship bait and switch pulled by the Qatar Sports Investment and FC Barcelona is finally complete as Qatar Airways becomes the new shirt sponsor of the club that used to famously shun corporate shirt sponsors to benefit charitable organizations.

When Barcelona signed the richest shirt sponsorship deal of all-time (five years, €150 million) with the non-profit Qatar Foundation last year, the was considerable outrage that the UNICEF logo, which the club has paid to wear for many years, would be relegated to the back of the shirt. This was compounded by concern over Qatar's human rights record and the mystery as to why a foundation that aims to improve education, science and community development within Qatar would sponsor a Spanish club. But the sponsor on the shirt would still have the word "foundation" in it, so surely it must be something of a good cause, it was reasoned.

Well, now the "Qatar" is being kept, but the "Foundation" is being replaced with "Airways" as it seems weening Barcelona fans off the concept of shirt sponsorship do-goodery was the plan all along.

From Reuters:

"Qatar Foundation has been the beneficiary of the contract (signed with QSI) for the last two years and starting from July 1 it is going to become Qatar Airways," Barca vice president Javier Faus told the club's television channel.

"QSI has given the rights of our main sponsorship to Qatar Airways. We are happy to accept the change. They are a global company and we share many of the values they have.
"Beyond that, they have expressed their intentions to increase their investment in Catalunya."

But how can QSI give away these rights? Barcelona's official website explains that it was a part of the deal from the start:

The contract signed with QSI permits the possibility of including a new logo on the shirt from the third season of the agreement, as we reported to the Assembly of Representatives in September 2011.

And that's how you do that.

Barca's bait and switch 688134296
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Barca's bait and switch Empty Re: Barca's bait and switch

Post by Lex Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:06 am

Yuri Yukuv wrote:Barca vice president Javier Faus told the club's television channel

"we share many of the values they have"
Oh i bet you do Laughing
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:40 am

The deal is almost unanimously rejected at the barca section.

We should've elected a Cruyffist as the next president, but they were divided and so they lost Sad
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by andiii Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:57 am

embarrassing
andiii
andiii
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:53 am

Money makes the world go 'round, people. We know this.
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:56 pm

Everyone knew this was gonna happend the second it was confirmed that Barca would be showing Qatar foundation on the shirt...

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperMAG Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:27 pm

So whats the problem, its a freaking sponsor, sponsors are meant to generate funds for the club, unless that sponsor company is evil, there is no problem.

There is nothing wrong with qatar airways, stop bitching about everything, be gratefull that you guys got the best paying sponsorship FFS.

SuperMAG
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:28 pm

What's wrong with a bit of text changing on a shirt?

It's still the same sponsor.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:42 pm

I have been firmly against the Rosell administration from the beginning and this is just one more example.

I will fully admit Barca has lost some of there "soul" for lack of a better word since this clown took over for Laporta whom I loved.

Our shirts now have 2 sponsors on them like were a Mexican league team and we kicked one of the most respected charitable organizations in the world to the back of our jerseys under the number.

When he took over I was trying to take bets because I knew it was the end of Pep.

Once Rosell took over all he did was blast Laporta and his time at Barca which was some of the best years any team in Europe had ever had.

He acted like Barca were a complete mess and every time a reporter was around he would run over to tell them. Even if it was a mess which it wasn't by the way you keep that stuff in house. The guy is the biggest snake in the world.

He should have been kissing Laporta's ass for the well oiled Machine and youth system he took over but instead he acted like he was given a Pinto when he was actually given a Ferrari.

I usually hate when people take shots at Barca on this forum as there is an air of hate on the board for Barca for what ever reason and I usually try to defend them but IMO this is fair game.

It's ugly, it's wrong and it does cheapen the Barca brand and name IMO.

I mean keeping the UNICEF logo on the shirt is just Rosell acting like he has the same values as the presidents before him. IMO it should be removed.

I hope we keep supporting UNICEF but either have them as the sponsor or don't. A charitable organization like that doesn't deserve to be kicked to the bottom of the back of the shirt for an Airlines. I don't know who Rosell thinks he's fooling.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Lol take the money and shut it!! Barca need to get out of debt and this is a good way. How will a top team survive without big sponsors? You guys seem to know jack about how a club should be ran!
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:26 pm

i did find it a bit odd that barca went with the qatar foundation in the first place.

and this is just down right wrong on behalf of qatar airways/foundation.

how is it legal that they can drastically change it like that? surely barca have to approve?

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:24 pm

I'm not complaining o,o more money? okay.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down