McAgger
fatman123
Red Alert
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Eto'o vs Drogba - Page 2 Empty Re: Eto'o vs Drogba

Post by CrazyBoy Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:34 am

Eto is better and it would not even been close if it was not for Drogba's super games in CL last season.
And lol at Drogba being complete, wank passing, wank dribbling, wank finishing but still more complete than Eto.
This complete player thing is the most ridiculous thing going on football, and ofcourse whoelse but Pele the great man started it.

CrazyBoy
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Are we actually comparing Drogs to E'to? Laughing
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:17 am

Arquitecto wrote:Are we actually comparing Drogs to E'to? Laughing

Drogba and Eto'o are two of the best strikers Africa have had in recent years. Both are CL champions and lead the line of some of the best clubs in the world.

Both were very complete players and while Eto'o is arguably better it is still a fair comparison.

Also, I take offence to this comment, we are in the clean debate section. There is no need for it here Arq.

Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:22 am

there's no denying both are great players. I don't see why shouldn't we?
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:38 am

Firstly, I don't think there's a huge gap, if any at all in finishing. Eto was perhaps better at playing slightly off the shoulder of defenders , getting behind them and creating space to get his shot but in the finishing department they were relatively equal.

Drogba was not a good passer , but the thing is , he was one of the best I have ever seen at creating a pivot point, holding up the ball and releasing others particularly with his head. Eto was better at dropping back and linking play, but once again there's only a marginal absolute advantage here.

I would pick Eto , because my teams if I was allowed to set them up exactly as I like would flow better with Eto , but if I were handed a team heavily reliant on wing play or was looking for a target man who needs to operate in isolation I''d take Drogba.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Le Samourai wrote:Firstly, I don't think there's a huge gap, if any at all in finishing. Eto was perhaps better at playing slightly off the shoulder of defenders , getting behind them and creating space to get his shot but in the finishing department they were relatively equal.

Drogba was not a good passer , but the thing is , he was one of the best I have ever seen at creating a pivot point, holding up the ball and releasing others particularly with his head. Eto was better at dropping back and linking play, but once again there's only a marginal absolute advantage here.

I would pick Eto , because my teams if I was allowed to set them up exactly as I like would flow better with Eto , but if I were handed a team heavily reliant on wing play or was looking for a target man who needs to operate in isolation I''d take Drogba.

For a team which had fast players like Robbery I would certainly Choose Drogba, he showed that in CL last season he can create goals with no one near him.

For basically everything else I would choose Eto'o.

I also think you are underrating Drogba as a passer, he showed throughout his career he could be quite a decent playmaker, his passing was superb at times.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:46 pm

Kick wrote:

Drogba and Eto'o are two of the best strikers Africa have had in recent years. Both are CL champions and lead the line of some of the best clubs in the world.

Both were very complete players and while Eto'o is arguably better it is still a fair comparison.

Also, I take offence to this comment, we are in the clean debate section. There is no need for it here Arq.

Kick my man, I apologize as I had the idea that this is the right back section. Its easy to get mixed up and since you have taken offence I will provide a more clean response.

Yes E'to is the more established and accomplished player but lets also see Drogba's requisites in comparison. There is no doubt to who is the more technically astute player yet these days does that mean as much as it did back then?

Believe it or not while I rate E'to higher I'd take Drogba in my team over him. Why? E'to while his pace, skill and finishing is arguably above Drogs, he cannot perform the things he can in many aspects. I rarely have seen anyone else like Drogba who can lead the line so incredibly well. Its a rare and under appreciated trait. Drogba also takes it in Aerial threat, bullying the opposition with his hold up play and provide a lone striking option to which is increasingly important in the midfield heavy line-ups of Modern football. In essence you will see Drogba have far more of an influence on the game then E'to will. As for clutch mentality, E'to can be marked out of games as Ignazio Abate and Gamberini have shown. Drogba is tricky due to not only his physicality but his intelligent movement.

Its established E'to is superior footballing wise and has accomplished more and while Drogba has soared to new heights after just waking up in the latter stages of the comps. Its a testament to his leadership (leading the line) and his clutch ability to clinch it for his team. Even without service he still is a threat. Only guys like Ibra, Llorente and Vucinic (and more) have that ability.

As for International? Here is the only place I will rate Drogba higher in.

Sorry about earlier.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:20 am

Arquitecto wrote:
Kick wrote:

Kick my man, I apologize as I had the idea that this is the right back section. Its easy to get mixed up and since you have taken offence I will provide a more clean response.

Yes E'to is the more established and accomplished player but lets also see Drogba's requisites in comparison. There is no doubt to who is the more technically astute player yet these days does that mean as much as it did back then?

Believe it or not while I rate E'to higher I'd take Drogba in my team over him. Why? E'to while his pace, skill and finishing is arguably above Drogs, he cannot perform the things he can in many aspects. I rarely have seen anyone else like Drogba who can lead the line so incredibly well. Its a rare and under appreciated trait. Drogba also takes it in Aerial threat, bullying the opposition with his hold up play and provide a lone striking option to which is increasingly important in the midfield heavy line-ups of Modern football. In essence you will see Drogba have far more of an influence on the game then E'to will. As for clutch mentality, E'to can be marked out of games as Ignazio Abate and Gamberini have shown. Drogba is tricky due to not only his physicality but his intelligent movement.

Its established E'to is superior footballing wise and has accomplished more and while Drogba has soared to new heights after just waking up in the latter stages of the comps. Its a testament to his leadership (leading the line) and his clutch ability to clinch it for his team. Even without service he still is a threat. Only guys like Ibra, Llorente and Vucinic (and more) have that ability.

Sorry about earlier.
That is quite alright Arq, you are certainly one of the better posters on here so I didn't want to see you end up with a silly ban.

I see what you are saying, I do disagree that Eto'o was the better finisher though, I think they were largely equal in that respect.

Drogba's ability to lead the line is one trait that for me, sticks out about Eto'os and also his ability to show up in basically every final he has played.
While Eto'o was a big game player, Drogba took big game player to a whole other level. He had something even Messi doesn't have in that respect.

I think Drogba could be marked out of a game just like Eto'o, however, if it was a big match, that task becomes next to impossible.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Kick wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:
Kick wrote:

Sorry about earlier.
That is quite alright Arq, you are certainly one of the better posters on here so I didn't want to see you end up with a silly ban.

I see what you are saying, I do disagree that Eto'o was the better finisher though, I think they were largely equal in that respect.

Drogba's ability to lead the line is one trait that for me, sticks out about Eto'os and also his ability to show up in basically every final he has played.
While Eto'o was a big game player, Drogba took big game player to a whole other level. He had something even Messi doesn't have in that respect.

I think Drogba could be marked out of a game just like Eto'o, however, if it was a big match, that task becomes next to impossible.

Thanks for understanding Kick.

In terms of finishing, I mean it by how clinical one is. For example despite the obvious difference in goal records I always rated a prime Torres a more clinical finisher then a Prime Ibra for example. E'to for me is a better as a one chance one finish type of CF while Drogba is better creating something out of nothing. Both are excellent in this area but E'to has to take it.

I agree about leading the line. Others who have it are players like Holt, Carroll, or Peter Osgood formerly of Chelsea for example. Its a highly unappreciated trait that hold high impact on a team.

Of course, both of them can be marked out yet I rarely and I mean rarely have seen Didier marked out. He is on those ranks of players of Ibra, Falcao, Messi etc who are almost next to impossible to mark out.

On a whole I agree on his big game presence as funnily enough I just became a huge Drogba fan after his exploits late into last year.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:45 pm

A prime Drogba was the ultimate striker for me, and arguably the best striker I've ever witnessed. However I think Eto'o was the perfect fit for a great Barcelona team. Both were big match players, in fact the two can't be separated in this department.

I would perhaps pick Drogba over Eto'o. I don't care who had the best goal ratio out of the two, Drogba brought so much more than goals to his teams with his dominant strength and unique hold up play.

As a goalscorer, regardless who had the superior ratio Eto'o is probably more natural and also got most of his goals from open play. Drogba scored a lot from set pieces. As a striker Drogba was any defender's nightmare, the most impressive thing with him wasn't just his physical presence, it was his footballing intelligence enabling him to use his strength to it's fullest.

Eto'o: pace, agility, dribbling, clinical, technical and movement. Drogba: power, accuracy, selfless, strength, stamina (he scored a lot of late goals), leadership and aggression. I also think Drogba is more adaptable, he played the same way for Marseille, Chelsea and Ivory Coast, while I felt Eto'o didn't ever recapture his Barcelona form with other teams he played for.

Gemini
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupi Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:16 am

Very Happy Drogba
why?
screamers
Lupi
Lupi