McAgger
fatman123
Red Alert
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Eto'o vs Drogba Empty Eto'o vs Drogba

Post by Red Alert Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:32 am

Two of the greatest players in the last decade.
For me, the two best players to ever come out of Africa.
They are both very successful and have done so much for their respected teams.
They've definitely left an imprint in the game of football.

Who will go down as the better player?

EDIT:

Their goal tally's.
Source: wiki.

Eto'o: Played for Castilla, Mallorca, Barcelona and is currently playing for Anzhi

At club level:
515 games in all competitions. 280 goals.

Broken down:
League - 381 league games with 214 goals.
Europe - 92 games and 42 goals.
Cups - 39 games and 22 goals.

International:
109 games and 53 goals.

Drogba: Played for Le Mans, Guincamp, Marseille, Chelsea and is currently playing for Shanghai Shenhua.

At club level:
528 games in all competitions. 236 goals.

Broken down:
League - 380 games and 159 goals.
Europe - 85 games and 45 goals.
Cups - 59 games and 30 goals.
"Other" (not sure what this is?) - 4 games and 2 goals.

International:
89 games and 58 goals.
__

Both amazing careers and amazing stats. affraid
Who is the better player and why? Every opinion counts. Smile

Last edited by ynwa on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Eto'o vs Drogba Empty Re: Eto'o vs Drogba

Post by fatman123 Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:46 am

in 20yrs from now one will be remebered for single handedly winning Chelseas first ever CL, and the other will be remebered for chasing big money in Russia when theres was still good footbal left in him

so you tell me
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 am

Come on fatman, that is so not true.

Whilst Drogba will be remembered as a Chelsea legend, there is no doubt Eto'o will be go down for a Barcelona one. After all, he did win 2 champions leagues with them and the league 4 times with them too.

On a whole, people really seem to underestimate the Russian league. Drogba could of moved back to France yet moved to China for money. Eto'o moved to the Russian league - he still plays in the Europa and will play Champions League next year. The Russian League IS on the way up, and whilst money did most likely persusade him to move to Russia, he was pushed out of an Inter side that was struggling with their wage bill. Eto'o is still playing in the Europa and has 7 goals next to his name in the competition.

He has the team built around him (something he didn't have at Barcelona nor at Inter; was more around 'Dinho and Messi than Eto'o and Sneijder/Milito for Inter) and is set to win another domestic title.

Regarding your "he chased big money" comment... you could make the same point for any player in the world. After all, Drogba also left Marseille to an extent for a pay rise. Hazard also would of been persuased with money, and you just need to look at City's side to say half the players left their for money too. I could go on and on and on. Football at the end of the day is a job, and if someone is set to offer you a MASSIVE pay rise you're going to move. Russian sides such as Anzhi are simply trying to adopt the same sort of method that has made Chelsea, Manc City and to an extent Real Madrid the better sides in the world.

Whilst you may gloat around Drogba's CL and how influential he was in winning it, Eto'o was absolutely key in winning the competition on 3 different occassions. Not so much with Inter, although he did have a part to play in them getting to the final - and also got an assist against Bayern in 2010, Eto'o single handedly beat Arsenal in 2006 and scored against United in 2009.

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:00 am

fatman please that comment was bogus. Eto'o won every thing he could have possible won multiple times so the money cant be hold against him. For me Eto'o was the better goalscorer and the better and more consistent player. For a WC striker Drogba only twice scored over 20 goals in all comps in 8 years for Chelsea. That's piss poor return if you are a WC ST in a top side.

Nothing against Drogba, he's still a legend in his own right, but tbh Eto'o was just better.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:09 am

fatman123 wrote:in 20yrs from now one will be remebered for single handedly winning Chelseas first ever CL, and the other will be remebered for chasing big money in Russia when theres was still good footbal left in him

so you tell me

etoo has been amazing in the champions league, scoring in two finals.

Last edited by Lord Hades on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:10 am

both are great strikers but i think etoo was the superior striker has done more , achieved more, and is right up there with the greatest strikers of the generation while drogba doesnt quite reach that level
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:16 am

Lord Hades wrote: so lay of that meth

There's no need for that...
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Come on fatman your a better poster than that, they are both legends for sure.
Role models, will both be known as 2 of the greatest strikers of all time and 2 of the best players to come out of Africa. To be honest with you I personally see them as different type of strikers with Drogba being more complete and Eto'o more of a goal scoring last man type but being said he can also play football too, as evidenced by him playing center mid vs Liverpool the other day lol.

Lord hades on the other hand no comment, but you can see what is infront of you i.e. profile which is all that needs to be said on that.

For me I love Drogba but I think Eto'o JUST shades it like be a margin of percentages you would say 53% Eto'o - 47% Drogba (had no real other way of quantifying it albino ).
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:29 pm

drogba was a tank. eto'o was an arrow.
it depends on what style of play you prefer.
As a Barca fan I personally pick Eto'o by a slight argin.

P.S. as everyone mentioned fatman's comment was over the top
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Both are/were top players.

However I prefer Eto'o's style of play.

He's quicker, better dribbler and more versatile.

Depends on what style you prefer.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:46 pm

i may have been a bit harsh on drogba, i do think he is a fantastic player , world class but i think etoo has achieved more and had a longer peak and though he has suffered from problems with management just like drogba, for me has been more consistent overall in his career
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Eto'o was a complete beast of a player. Not that Drogba wasn't and yes, he was key in Chelsea's CL run, but I feel overall Eto'o was just more complete.

Eto'o won you 2 CL's in 2 teams of very different philosophies, yet without him in there that wouldn't have been possible, so that's why I pick him.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Sushi Master wrote:Eto'o was a complete beast of a player. Not that Drogba wasn't and yes, he was key in Chelsea's CL run, but I feel overall Eto'o was just more complete.

Eto'o won you 2 CL's in 2 teams of very different philosophies, yet without him in there that wouldn't have been possible, so that's why I pick him.

He won 3 champions league titles. I think Drogba is a Chelsea legend for sure, but between the two I would have to choose Eto'o as well

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:49 am

At his peak I'd take Drogba any day of the week. I don't see how Eto'o is more complete? Drogba had everything and was a truly amazing CF.

Eto'o was probably a better goalscorer but Drogba brought alot more to the team for me.
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Eto'o for me. He achieved more, and I also think he's better overall player.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:45 pm

etoo wasnt just a goal scorer, he could offer endless industry thanks to his pace and work rate and performed a complete different role at inter in their treble winning season as well. drogba isnt a complete cf, he wont succeed in a tiki taka system or something imo that relies heavily on technical play. chelsea's physical style suited his game play
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Etoo for me, both clutch, both won things and so on and so on but Etoo was the more explosive goalscorer and the most consistent goalscorer.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:02 am

Eto'o deo

This have been a debate back in 2006 when they faced each other in AFCON and DD won the 1/4 finals

Before that they were in the same group for WC qualification and Ivory coast went to Germany

Still Eto'o is the better player, he was at the top even more longer than DD

i love them both
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:41 am

Lord Hades wrote:[drogba] wont succeed in a tiki taka system or something imo that relies heavily on technical play.
This is one of my pet peeves. I think that whether Drogba could've succeeded in a tiki-taka system is completely irrelevant to this conversation. Drogba never played in a tiki-taka system. Rather than looking at hypothetical scenarios, it makes much more sense to judge Drogba on what he actually did - which was dominate the game in systems where a physical striker was the focal point.

That being said, Eto'o was more refined, consistent, and successful in his career than Drogba was.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:09 am

I hate to say it but Eto'o was better.

Drogba is still amazing and a true legend a player I will never forget but Eto'o was always half a step ahead of him.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:
Lord Hades wrote:[drogba] wont succeed in a tiki taka system or something imo that relies heavily on technical play.
This is one of my pet peeves. I think that whether Drogba could've succeeded in a tiki-taka system is completely irrelevant to this conversation. Drogba never played in a tiki-taka system. Rather than looking at hypothetical scenarios, it makes much more sense to judge Drogba on what he actually did - which was dominate the game in systems where a physical striker was the focal point.

That being said, Eto'o was more refined, consistent, and successful in his career than Drogba was.

this is only a response to drogba being a complete striker. i dont think he wouldve fit into teams that didnt suit his skill set, relied on the striker being extremely pacy, technically outstanding rather than being great physically.
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 pm

It really depends on what you want from your number 9. Both really achieved everything they realistically could have.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Im a huge Eto'o fan and would probably pick him but it really depends they both have different styles its not like comparing Eto'o and Tevez or Drogba and Klose.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:35 am

Eto'o and Tevez aren't similiar to each other nor are Drogba or Klose...

Zealous wrote:It really depends on what you want from your number 9. Both really achieved everything they realistically could have.

Who will go down as the better player? I'm not asking who would you personally rather have on your team or build a side around.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyBoy Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:34 am

Eto is better and it would not even been close if it was not for Drogba's super games in CL last season.
And lol at Drogba being complete, wank passing, wank dribbling, wank finishing but still more complete than Eto.
This complete player thing is the most ridiculous thing going on football, and ofcourse whoelse but Pele the great man started it.

CrazyBoy
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next