7amood11
TalkingReckless
white_star
18 posters

Go down

Platini pushing for winter world cup Empty Platini pushing for winter world cup

Post by white_star Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:28 pm

This board needs more discussions!!!

What do you think about World Cup in the winter? How do you think it will effect the leagues and clubs?

UEFA president Michel Platini is determined to stage the World Cup during the European winter for the first time at the 2022 tournament in Qatar.

The move would require all major European Leagues to take a month-long winter break, including England's Premier League which has no mid-season break at all.

"I hope it will be held in winter," the Frenchman told the Evening Standard on Tuesday. "We have to go to Qatar when it is good for everybody to participate. What is better for the fans?"

Platini believes there is enough time to work out how to organise the domestic leagues around a winter World Cup.

"In 10 years we can manage to decide how we can postpone the season for one month," he said.

"January is difficult for the World Cup because you have the Winter Olympic Games. If we stop from November 2 to December 20, it means, instead of finishing in May, we stop in June. It is not a big problem. It is for the good of the World Cup, the most important competition in the world."

Platini voted for Qatar to get the 2022 World Cup in preference to England and was also in favour of Russia being awarded the 2018 tournament.

"I voted for Qatar because it was time to go to a country in that part of the world," he said. "They bid five times."

He also denied voting for Qatar after being told to do so by former France president Nicolas Sarkozy.

"I tell you one thing immediately," Platini said. "One day I was invited to dinner by Sarkozy where there was the Prime Minister of Qatar. Mr Sarkozy never asked me during the dinner to vote for Qatar. They invited me to the dinner but they know I will be independent, that I will vote for who I want."

Reuters - 9/25/12 10:13 AM
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Platini pushing for winter world cup Empty Re: Platini pushing for winter world cup

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:43 pm

if they can do it during the Christmas/new year break i have no problem, most leagues are off during that time expect english and some others.
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Platini pushing for winter world cup Empty Re: Platini pushing for winter world cup

Post by white_star Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Ya that's what I think. There are a lot of leagues in Europe that are off during that time.

white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:56 pm

I wouldn't mind that. But if the 2022 WC stays in the summer, I'm sure Qatar will have some air-conditioned stadiums or whatever to cool the temperature inside the stadium.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 pm

^ do you think they will be able to cool a stadium full of people and players? Your talking about a minimum of 40,000 people releasing hot air in an already heated stadium. I think it would be really hot an unbearable in that heat. These stadiums would have to be with a roof and crazy ventilation systems.
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Would be interesting to see how it would work out in winter.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15 pm

it have been in winter if Aussies had won it Smile
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:49 am

Well it's not the end of the world if the Cup is held in winter, although I don't like altering its traditions and messing up the club season. Clubs must be really reluctant to send their best players to a World Cup in the middle of a season.

So it begs the question, again, why the hell give Qatar the World Cup??

What's also laughable is that Platini said "Before the vote I told Qatar's bid team that I'll vote for them, but I want the tournament in winter. They told me 'yes, of course', but now it has changed". Now that's a very, very professional way to go about your duties...
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:46 am

Get out of here Platini, first you and your little buddies are bought off and now you want to move the tournament because it's a stupid to have it in a country so hot? :facepalm:
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by eltractor Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:12 am

it will be also very hot in Brazil in 2014, with a higher humidity level. and im sure quatar will make some conditionning to the stadiums. quatar (like many other countries) are working really hard to have some quality stadiums and facilities, and they should be rewarded for these efforts
eltractor
eltractor
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:11 am

no way. I am 100% against this

First of all it will disrupt the Football Season. A month with non stop football will kill the players if they are to play for another 5 months after the WC. This will also give advantage to the clubs who have no players playing in the WC.

Furthermore if PL has to finish a Month later, that would mean that the next season will come just after a month of the end of the season. For example if it finishes in June, then you get July to give the players their vacation, plus Run the Pre Season. It can't all happen in such a short amount of time.

Have it in the summer or give it to England
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Daniels Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:14 am

RealGunner wrote:
Have it in the summer or give it to England
I see what you did there.
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 am

I wouldn't mind England hosting the World Cup. By then we'll have goal line technology and there won't be a new Wembley goal incident Razz
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbackwriter Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:25 pm

eltractor wrote:it will be also very hot in Brazil in 2014, with a higher humidity level. and im sure quatar will make some conditionning to the stadiums. quatar (like many other countries) are working really hard to have some quality stadiums and facilities, and they should be rewarded for these efforts

No, because the European summer is the Brazilian winter. In Rio, for example, the average temperature in june-july is around 22-23 degrees Celsius. Even in the northern part, take Salvador, it is around 24 degrees in average.

Compare this to Qatar where the average during june-july is around 35 degrees.
paperbackwriter
paperbackwriter
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:05 pm

The problem is that you usually have a 3-4 week NT camp preparation and some friendlies between the end of the season and the start of WC/Euro. This wouldn't work unless you actually allowed for 2 full months by moving schedules.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by _LMG_10_ Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:18 pm

:facepalm:

I'm surprised you guys are even discussing this.

I thought this would turn into a Platini hate thread.

What a dumb idea to hold the world cup in winter. It will never happen.

_LMG_10_
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Barcelona

http://www.eurofootballweb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Start the season earlier/later? :coffee:

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by eltractor Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:35 am

paperbackwriter wrote:
eltractor wrote:it will be also very hot in Brazil in 2014, with a higher humidity level. and im sure quatar will make some conditionning to the stadiums. quatar (like many other countries) are working really hard to have some quality stadiums and facilities, and they should be rewarded for these efforts

No, because the European summer is the Brazilian winter. In Rio, for example, the average temperature in june-july is around 22-23 degrees Celsius. Even in the northern part, take Salvador, it is around 24 degrees in average.

Compare this to Qatar where the average during june-july is around 35 degrees.

mmm good to know this hmm
but i think its a very bad idea to make the WC in winter
eltractor
eltractor
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:17 pm

white_star wrote:^ do you think they will be able to cool a stadium full of people and players? Your talking about a minimum of 40,000 people releasing hot air in an already heated stadium. I think it would be really hot an unbearable in that heat. These stadiums would have to be with a roof and crazy ventilation systems.

It's actually not that hard - I go to a technical uni and I know some architects who are working on a similar problem but with heating - A few based their solutions on convection so it should be easy to convert their designs to something base don cooling.

Having a WC in Winter is extremely disruptive... they'll have to find some solutions for that because it's not about the WC itself - there's the prep period etc.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Man this would make Winter even better. Yeah I am all for it, going on holidays in the summer and staying in watching the world cup in the winter.

Plus during summer in Qatar football would be pretty much unplayable in those conditions.

White_star had a good point about the heat in the stadiums and the difficulty in keeping it cool.

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm

You guys are over-dramatizing the summers in the middle east. Yes, they are very hot. But it is actually better than the conditions we had for Japan/Korea WC because of the insane humidity and the extreme heat. It is super dry in the middle east.

Having lived in both CA and NY, I can tell you that I can handle 40 degrees with no humidity much better than 35 degrees and 80 percent humidity.

THe dry weather makes closed stadiums much easier to air condition btw.

When you think about it, we have closed stadiums in very cold places and they work just fine. WHy would it be any different for very hot places?
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:10 pm

sportsczy wrote:You guys are over-dramatizing the summers in the middle east. Yes, they are very hot. But it is actually better than the conditions we had for Japan/Korea WC because of the insane humidity and the extreme heat. It is super dry in the middle east.

Having lived in both CA and NY, I can tell you that I can handle 40 degrees with no humidity much better than 35 degrees and 80 percent humidity.

THe dry weather makes closed stadiums much easier to air condition btw.

When you think about it, we have closed stadiums in very cold places and they work just fine. WHy would it be any different for very hot places?

actually the gulf countries are very humid.... dubai reaches 85% humidity quite frequently.
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:29 pm

you guys might not be familier with this but the building below, in Saudi *bleep* Arabia, holds a few hundred thousand people and its air conditioned

Platini pushing for winter world cup Mekka%20at%20Night

if they can cool this, a stadium is not a big deal really
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:21 pm

zizzle wrote:you guys might not be familier with this but the building below, in Saudi *bleep* Arabia, holds a few hundred thousand people and its air conditioned

Platini pushing for winter world cup Mekka%20at%20Night

if they can cool this, a stadium is not a big deal really

more like a million but it cool because they have cold water circulating underneath the marble
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:48 pm

It seriously isn't that hot at night guys. Sure it's warm but grown ass professional athletes will be more than able to handle it if most amateurs in the region can.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down