Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

AC Milan 1989 vs FC Barcelona 2011 Empty Re: AC Milan 1989 vs FC Barcelona 2011

Post by jibers Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:23 am

TO different to compare both teams directly. AC Milan utilised the offside trap and that was a big part of their game. The rules have changed. Barcelona are more consistent and have won more. In terms of Greatness, Barcelona easily. in a direct vs to vs, too hard to compare tbh
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:32 pm

what team was it that won serie a in 1989?
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:32 pm

the one that won champions league and serie a arrigo sacchi was the coach
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:15 am

i think its quite obv that this barca team is the best in history
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:26 am

REWB wrote:i think its quite obv that this barca team is the best in history

Based on?
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie Monster Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:38 am

jibers wrote:

Based on?

It's just obvious, okay? Geez

Seriously though, it's too difficult to compare teams from completely different eras. However, it's safe to say that this Barca will join that Milan in history as one the best teams of all time.
Cookie Monster
Cookie Monster
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:42 am

Cookie Monster wrote:
jibers wrote:

Based on?

Seriously though, it's too difficult to compare teams from completely different eras. However, it's safe to say that this Barca will join that Milan in history as one the best teams of all time.

BArcelona are the best based on what exactly?
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:19 am

jibers wrote:TO different to compare both teams directly. AC Milan utilised the offside trap and that was a big part of their game. The rules have changed. Barcelona are more consistent and have won more. In terms of Greatness, Barcelona easily. in a direct vs to vs, too hard to compare tbh
I don't know how you can attempt to quantify greatness, let alone write that one is easily greater than the other. AC Milan won the CL two years in a row in 89 and 90 and then again in 93-94. In 91-92, the team went 58 games unbeaten in Serie A. This is a Serie A record as well as the third longest unbeaten run in top flight European football, coming in behind Steaua Bucureşti's record of 104 unbeaten games and Celtic's 68 game unbeaten run. In addition to three consecutive scudetti from 1992 to 1994, Milan reached the Champions League final for three consecutive years. This team included Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard, Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini, Roberto Donadoni, Carlo Ancelotti, Giovanni Galli, Mauro Tassotti, Alessandro Costacurta, Demetrio Albertini, Angelo Colombo and in 94 Marcel Desailly, Dejan Savićević, Zvonimir Boban, Daniele Massaro as well. This team, or teams if you like, were coached by none other than Arrigo Sacchi, followed by Fabio Capello. Even by the 1995-96 our Serie A winning team hadn't changed that much. The starting XI for most of the season was Sebastiano Rossi; Christian Panucci, Alessandro Costacurta, Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini; Roberto Donadoni, Demetrio Albertini, Marcel Desailly; Zvonimir Boban; George Weah, Roberto Baggio.

I don't mind if you compare the teams, but to say that one is definitely better than the other is not as straightforward as you make it sound, and it is definitely not something that you can work out easily!
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:40 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:
jibers wrote:TO different to compare both teams directly. AC Milan utilised the offside trap and that was a big part of their game. The rules have changed. Barcelona are more consistent and have won more. In terms of Greatness, Barcelona easily. in a direct vs to vs, too hard to compare tbh
I don't know how you can attempt to quantify greatness, let alone write that one is easily greater than the other. AC Milan won the CL two years in a row in 89 and 90 and then again in 93-94. In 91-92, the team went 58 games unbeaten in Serie A. This is a Serie A record as well as the third longest unbeaten run in top flight European football, coming in behind Steaua Bucureşti's record of 104 unbeaten games and Celtic's 68 game unbeaten run. In addition to three consecutive scudetti from 1992 to 1994, Milan reached the Champions League final for three consecutive years. This team included Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard, Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini, Roberto Donadoni, Carlo Ancelotti, Giovanni Galli, Mauro Tassotti, Alessandro Costacurta, Demetrio Albertini, Angelo Colombo and in 94 Marcel Desailly, Dejan Savićević, Zvonimir Boban, Daniele Massaro as well. This team, or teams if you like, were coached by none other than Arrigo Sacchi, followed by Fabio Capello. Even by the 1995-96 our Serie A winning team hadn't changed that much. The starting XI for most of the season was Sebastiano Rossi; Christian Panucci, Alessandro Costacurta, Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini; Roberto Donadoni, Demetrio Albertini, Marcel Desailly; Zvonimir Boban; George Weah, Roberto Baggio.

I don't mind if you compare the teams, but to say that one is definitely better than the other is not as straightforward as you make it sound, and it is definitely not something that you can work out easily!

two different teams, with different managers and philosophies. I'm not comparing them man for man, tactically or in an imagionatry match. I am comparing them in terms of greatness, consistency and trophies. Barcelona with Pep did better things than Milan with Saachi. Pepe actually won the league 3 times in a row and 2 cls. Saachi won 2 cls and won league. Barcelona are more consistent.

It's there for all too see. milan's playing styel was too taxing for them to ever do wel consistentluy in a league.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:36 am

jibers wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:

two different teams, with different managers and philosophies. I'm not comparing them man for man, tactically or in an imagionatry match. I am comparing them in terms of greatness, consistency and trophies. Barcelona with Pep did better things than Milan with Saachi. Pepe actually won the league 3 times in a row and 2 cls. Saachi won 2 cls and won league. Barcelona are more consistent.

It's there for all too see. milan's playing styel was too taxing for them to ever do wel consistentluy in a league.
Over 4 seasons, Barca won 3 leagues and 2 CLs.
Over 7 seasons, Milan won 4 leagues (3 of them consecutively) and 3 CLs (two of them consecutively - the last team to do that). They were runners up twice in both Serie A (the most competitive league at the time) and the CL during that time as well.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the team was quite stable during that 7 yr. period, whereas Guardiola purged his team when he took charge from Rijkaard; Ronaldinho, Deco, Zambrotta, Gio Dos Santos, Edmilson, Thuram, etc. and then Eto'o in the following season.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:58 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:
jibers wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:

Over 7 seasons, Milan won 4 leagues (3 of them consecutively) and 3 CLs (two of them consecutively - the last team to do that). They were runners up twice in both Serie A (the most competitive league at the time) and the CL during that time as well.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the team was quite stable during that 7 yr. period, whereas Guardiola purged his team when he took charge from Rijkaard; Ronaldinho, Deco, Zambrotta, Gio Dos Santos, Edmilson, Thuram, etc. and then Eto'o in the following season.

As I said, many people consider Saachi's team separeate from Caps team. Go and wathc them play and it is easy to see why. Saachis team was more of a dutch team if anything, Capellos team was atypical italian team with great players. Different sytems. Saachuis team isnt GREATER than Peps. I am splitting the eras because it was a new cycle. That is why people talk about Saachi's Milan and not Milan as a whole when comparing teams. The whole competetiveness thing is again subjective, the measurement I am using here is trophies and coonsistency, whicjh Peps team outdid that of Saachi's. In fact the second year they only qualified for the cl becaue they won it the previosu year, they were wank in the league. No competetion really.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 am

jibers wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:
jibers wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:

As I said, many people consider Saachi's team separeate from Caps team. Go and wathc them play and it is easy to see why. Saachis team was more of a dutch team if anything, Capellos team was atypical italian team with great players. Different sytems. Saachuis team isnt GREATER than Peps. I am splitting the eras because it was a new cycle. That is why people talk about Saachi's Milan and not Milan as a whole when comparing teams. The whole competetiveness thing is again subjective, the measurement I am using here is trophies and coonsistency, whicjh Peps team outdid that of Saachi's. In fact the second year they only qualified for the cl becaue they won it the previosu year, they were wank in the league. No competetion really.
So you would say that Capello's Milan was more "competitive" than Guardiola's Barca?

The sentence in red is not true at all. You are maybe referring to Sacchi's second term at Milan which was 97-98? Although they did not qualify for the CL at all in that year. In the 7 seasons I am talking about, Milan finished 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st in Serie A.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:15 am

Finishing in 3rd or 2nd place didn't qualify you for the European Cup back in the day. Qualification was the winner of the every league plus the defending champion.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:21 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Finishing in 3rd or 2nd place didn't qualify you for the European Cup back in the day. Qualification was the winner of the every league plus the defending champion.
I was just looking that up now. Winning Serie A at that time was super hard, with Lazio, Napoli, Juve, Inter, Samp and Roma all having top notch squads.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:50 am

Forza Rossoneri wrote:
jibers wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:
jibers wrote:
Forza Rossoneri wrote:

So you would say that Capello's Milan was more "competitive" than Guardiola's Barca?

The sentence in red is not true at all. You are maybe referring to Sacchi's second term at Milan which was 97-98? Although they did not qualify for the CL at all in that year. In the 7 seasons I am talking about, Milan finished 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st in Serie A.

it's the third I'm talking about. To qualify for the European ciup uyou had to win your oleague. So they were only there beause they were winners beforehand. They werent even the best team in Italy.

The word I'm using is greater. Barcelona still have more trophy density over a 3 year period or howeever myou want to quantify it. Look, I am not comparing teams vs teams, I am comparing their achievements given the sshort space of time in their cycle. Maybe had capellos Milan won one of thos, but Peps Barcelona went deep in every compettion, that hoilds in his favour. At the end of the day it's opinion. I feel the two greatest teams are Ajax and Madrid. The 'best' is far more difficult to measure due to things i measured in my post. Barcelona are certainly the best team in the last decade. please...stay safe..
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie Monster Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:16 am

jibers wrote:
Cookie Monster wrote:
jibers wrote:

Based on?

My first comment was meant to be sarcastic. I was just taking a jab at REWB's ridiculous comment.

Based on what this Barca has accomplished, I think they deserve their place in history, but to label them the absolute best or to compare them to teams of different eras to determine which team is 'better' is a complete waste of time.
Cookie Monster
Cookie Monster
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:33 am

Cookie Monster wrote:
jibers wrote:
Cookie Monster wrote:
jibers wrote:

Based on?

My first comment was meant to be sarcastic. I was just taking a jab at REWB's ridiculous comment.

Based on what this Barca has accomplished, I think they deserve their place in history, but to label them the absolute best or to compare them to teams of different eras to determine which team is 'better' is a complete waste of time.

its like saying federer is the greatest, that is is pretty much fact based on his accomplishments, but he is not THE best. NAdal at his best is better. Great = best. Barcelona are greater than Milan. Which team is better? personally I think Barcelona have dominatred their opponents more consistently than Milan did. I actually watched Milan play so I think I am in a good position to judge. Milan some games looked flat because of the intensity their style required. The offside trap nwas so damn good, but when it didnt work they were screwed. They messed up a few times agaiunst Napoli if i remember. Timing that stuff was hard as hell. Ajax did it to perfection. Ajax for me are the greatest. Followed by Madrid.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:15 pm

jibers wrote:its like saying federer is the greatest, that is is pretty much fact based on his accomplishments, but he is not THE best. NAdal at his best is better. Great = best. Barcelona are greater than Milan. Which team is better? personally I think Barcelona have dominatred their opponents more consistently than Milan did. I actually watched Milan play so I think I am in a good position to judge. Milan some games looked flat because of the intensity their style required. The offside trap nwas so damn good, but when it didnt work they were screwed. They messed up a few times agaiunst Napoli if i remember. Timing that stuff was hard as hell. Ajax did it to perfection. Ajax for me are the greatest. Followed by Madrid.
How is Nadal at his best better?
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:42 pm

It's always appealing to compare teams from different eras, however I believe that the fundamental nature of a team game, particularly as one as tactically subtle as the beautiful game sadly renders such hypothetical situations beyond reasonable discussion when we consider the elements which truly separate great teams from the rest.

It is one thing to consider how teams might fare when first meeting each other and treading through unchartered territory when they face an unfamiliar opponent. Such contests are often 'aided' by evaluations of their respective strengths, with people stating that Team A might win seven of these contests, Team B just three. However I believe that this deeply underestimates the dynamics of a club that can dominate an era. An evaluation of this sort might be able to account for matches in which each is a separate encounter, ten games played as one, in which no foreknowledge or memory is retained. However ten consecutive matches, in which the teams respond to each other, evolving both tactically and mentally to the challenge of such a formidable rival.

Within their respective eras, none of these teams were allowed to be static in nature. The market, their competition, willingness to innovate and simply the passage of time continually alter the make-up of a team, even one with what might be seen as a stable, homogenous style. Comparisons of Barcelona from 2009 to 2011 and to the present reveal a team that evolved to stay ahead of their competition as Pep's use of Messi and Busquets altered the team dynamic as Eto'o and Yaya departed, whilst the return of the Lost Lamb has again caused a shift. Throughout this time, their rivalry with Real Madrid, always an intense one but driven further by an intense schedule of competitive meetings across many competitions is a wonderful example of how an opposition can repond in so many different ways, both tactically and mentally to a challenge.

The shifting dynamic between two such teams as the AC Milan of Sacchi or Capello and Guardiola's Barcelona would be even more intriguing, particularly on a tactical level as I would expect more subtlety and innovation from the Italian managers than we have seen from Mourinho. The unknown factor is that of escalation however and it is one that remains out of my grasp as a speculator on the matter. I highly respect Guardiola's ability to alter his team in attempts to not simply remain ahead of his competition but to pre-empt changes, and such a task would no doubt bring out the best in both teams. The ability of great teams to push each other to higher limits is a fundamental tenet of a team game which can so easily be tipped by chemistry, dedication and motivation on the pitch.

It is a fascinating question, however I believe it is one that is often approached in the wrong manner. Unfortunately, I believe it is one that can only give joy as a theoretical exercise. Predicting how the teams may respond in kind to a first encounter may well be a fascinating exercise, and indeed worthy of discussion in this thread. By the seventh tie however, each of our tactical suggestions might bear as much resemblance to an actual simulation of the game as Barcelona do to Stoke. We had a thread with a link to some classic games which prompted some discussion some time ago, allowing a greater audience to watch the AC Milan team of old over time, to see how they changed over the years would potentially lead to some great discussion.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by steve_smith Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:09 am

It is important to note that Serie A back then was the best league of all time. Most of the world's top players were concentrated in this league. There is nothing like that today. The PL of today is the strongest and wealthiest but it doesn't come close to that Serie A.

Serie A back then was 6 or 7 good clubs deep. It completely DESTROYED the UEFA cup back when it met something. The joke back then was theat the UEFA CUP was the second Coppa Italia. Italian clubs won it almost every year for at least a decade or so (several years having all Italian finals).

Winning Serie A back then was an F'n accomplishment. Going 58 games unbeaten is just incredible. Barcelona hasn't done anything like this.

In terms of accomplishments, Milan wins this one.

Now, in terms of match-ups, it's not even close. Milan wins big.
barca's weakness is counter-attack. Milan's defense would hold the tiki -taki style, shoot the ball up field where Gullit (one of the fastest motherf'rs to ever play) would orchestrate a couple of goals.

3-0 Milan wins.

steve_smith
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Carlo Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:34 pm

I`d go with Milan, they were stronger defensively & were just as strong on offence.
Don Carlo
Don Carlo
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:31 pm

steve_smith wrote:It is important to note that Serie A back then was the best league of all time. Most of the world's top players were concentrated in this league. There is nothing like that today. The PL of today is the strongest and wealthiest but it doesn't come close to that Serie A.

Serie A back then was 6 or 7 good clubs deep. It completely DESTROYED the UEFA cup back when it met something. The joke back then was theat the UEFA CUP was the second Coppa Italia. Italian clubs won it almost every year for at least a decade or so (several years having all Italian finals).

Winning Serie A back then was an F'n accomplishment. Going 58 games unbeaten is just incredible. Barcelona hasn't done anything like this.

In terms of accomplishments, Milan wins this one.

Now, in terms of match-ups, it's not even close. Milan wins big.
barca's weakness is counter-attack. Milan's defense would hold the tiki -taki style, shoot the ball up field where Gullit (one of the fastest motherf'rs to ever play) would orchestrate a couple of goals.

3-0 Milan wins.

Laughing Nice touch with the imaginary scoreline. Barcelona has won more trophies than bot Saachi's Milan and Capellos iteration. Barcelona are easily greater. Better team is just silly as we will never see them play.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommaso Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:00 am

Sacchi's Milan is the greatest team in history.

I base that on the fact that the modern La Liga would be considered a cakewalk to the late 1980s Serie A... Maradona's Napoli, Trappatoni's Inter,etc.
Tommaso
Tommaso
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:08 am

Can't comment really. Got to watch Barca in the simply stunning season though I wasn't even born in 1989 and youtube highlights ain't gonna help...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next