Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist?

+24
RealGunner
Adit
Ganso
McLewis
BarrileteCosmico
che
Luca
Le Samourai
Arquitecto
stevieg8
Senor Penguin
kiranr
ELO
Great Leader Sprucenuce
zizzle
Zealous
free_cat
7amood11
Gil
Onyx
rwo power
Vibe
The Messiah
sportsczy
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:10 pm

stevieg8 wrote:When you do it by region, it's no longer racist imo. Bayern sticking with Bavarians does not discriminate against any group, it simply requires residence - like running for office in the US. I would have a problem if they said "no Catholics" or "no Black players," but they're not saying anything along those lines.

Unless I'm way off base and one has to be of Basque descent as well as from the area to play for them?

Not necessarily, for example Higuian is qualified to play for Bilbao through his grandfather.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist?

Post by stevieg8 Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:13 pm

zizzle wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:When you do it by region, it's no longer racist imo. Bayern sticking with Bavarians does not discriminate against any group, it simply requires residence - like running for office in the US. I would have a problem if they said "no Catholics" or "no Black players," but they're not saying anything along those lines.

Unless I'm way off base and one has to be of Basque descent as well as from the area to play for them?

what's the difference betwen discriminating by region and discriminating by nationality ?

Region is malleable. Nationality is not.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:14 pm

zizzle wrote:There's no problem in promoting local talent, matter of fact i encourage that, but when your official policy is to sign only local players, which is restricting other equality talented outsiders from an equal apportunity, then it is racism. I understand that their policy is not intended to be racist but that's what it really is, its like an american corporation not hiring me because i wasnt born there. That's racist
Hm.. So the USA are racist because they require their president to be a born US American?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:14 pm

7amood11 wrote:
Vibe wrote:Not at all.

In fact all of football should be like this...All about knowledge,no politics,no business,only the beauty of talent and ability of those who nurture it.

That's just like international football.

Not even close.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:18 pm

rwo power wrote:
zizzle wrote:There's no problem in promoting local talent, matter of fact i encourage that, but when your official policy is to sign only local players, which is restricting other equality talented outsiders from an equal apportunity, then it is racism. I understand that their policy is not intended to be racist but that's what it really is, its like an american corporation not hiring me because i wasnt born there. That's racist
Hm.. So the USA are racist because they require their president to be a born US American?

denying a qualified man an apportunity to run for a public position for reasons other than merit is racist.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:19 pm

You guys are getting into a different discussion and are sort of missing the point. Racist or not Bilbao's policy is a form of discrimination (I think we can all agree on that) which is what op wants to discuss.

Last edited by Zealous on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:20 pm

stevieg8 wrote:
zizzle wrote:

what's the difference betwen discriminating by region and discriminating by nationality ?

Region is malleable. Nationality is not.

Region is even worse, you can acquire a nationality but you cant "belong" to a region.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:21 pm

rwo power wrote:

Actually, there's a lot of controversy about this. There's growing momentum to change this because it's contrary to the different anti-descrimination acts that are part of the constitution. In the end, this will be changed to allow for any citizen to run for office. The only one being excluded now is President... you can already run for everything else.

edit: i quoted the wrong act lol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anti-discrimination_acts#United_States

Last edited by sportsczy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:24 pm

sportsczy wrote:
rwo power wrote:
Actually, there's a lot of controversy about this. There's growing momentum to change this because it's contrary to the Anti-Descrimination Act of 1977 that's part of the constitution. In the end, this will be changed to allow for any citizen to run for office. The only one being excluded now is President... you can already run for everything else.
*nod* I thought this might be challenged one day.

But I guess we'd better go back to topic. ^^

I wonder what the Spanish constitution has to say about this. Is Bilbao's policy really legal in Spain? *curious*
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Spanish sport is a complicated political minefield. I think people just let the clubs do what they want provided it's not blatantly illegal.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Racist? On what basis? There is a complete difference from Bavarians and Basque's considering Bavarians are closely linked with Germany while the Euskadi have their own language and their own identification of descent. If you closely study the history of Espana and the Basque motive for autonomy then you would understand the reasons behind it.

Athletic Club's mission is simply to provide the growth, spread and progress of Basque football and players. So far the mission has been a resounding success. Discrimination? Never heard of Jonas Ramalho? Athletic Club's black player or Fernando Amorebieta, a Venezuelan of Basque descent. Higuain, Casillas and many of close Basque lineage can also join so this is far away from even discrimination. Athletic Club has a close relationship with its roots and fans which is something you rarely see in clubs. Whats wrong in embracing Basque talent? Doesn't anyone know another reason behind it is because Basque players are also trained in the ways of Basque Futbol? Do you think only the club is behind this decision? If the club dissolved this policy the fans would completely turn against the club. Athletic Club aren't like Madrid or Barca who spend absurd amounts of money and ignore most of their Cantera. Need I remind the success Atheltic Club have had with this policy? Or that Real,Barca and Athletic Club are the only clubs who haven't been relegated?

Simply put its the promotion of Basque culture, football and youth. And thats the only way to place it.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Higuain and Iker at Bilbao hmm

For the record I don't consider Bilbao's policy racist. Simply put the intent of the policy itself is pure. However it is discrimination, that's not even up for debate imo.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Exactly as Arq said. I just don't see how preferring your own talent can be considered discrimination.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Arq I have a question.

How heavily is the policy linked with the separatist politics of the region, are they still aggressively pursuing autonomy or is it more to do with a celebration of Basque national pride more than anything?
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:36 pm

rwo power wrote:
sportsczy wrote:
rwo power wrote:
Actually, there's a lot of controversy about this. There's growing momentum to change this because it's contrary to the Anti-Descrimination Act of 1977 that's part of the constitution. In the end, this will be changed to allow for any citizen to run for office. The only one being excluded now is President... you can already run for everything else.
*nod* I thought this might be challenged one day.

But I guess we'd better go back to topic. ^^

I wonder what the Spanish constitution has to say about this. Is Bilbao's policy really legal in Spain? *curious*

Spanish constitution has no right to even touch the Basque Autonomous Policy considering they are run by their own government. If they do find a loophole it means they are loosing by far what is their biggest source of income for the country. (Basque Country)

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:38 pm

@Arqui

Bavarians have their own language, too. Ask any German (or as the Bavarians would say "Prussian") outside of Bavaria Razz
(And it might surprise you, but there is actually a political party in Bavaria that works on trying to turn Bavaria into a sovereign country...)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:41 pm

Selecting Basque players for differential treatment based on that characteristic can certainly be dubbed as racism.

But, as a football club Bilbao can sign and reject any players for any reason they would like so it really is a non-factor. If this was any other sort of business then it wouldn't be acceptable.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:41 pm

Le Samourai wrote:Arq I have a question.

How heavily is the policy linked with the separatist politics of the region, are they still aggressively pursuing autonomy or is it more to do with a celebration of Basque national pride more than anything?

Autonomy has already been reached long ago as only some groups reach for complete independence.

As for your question it is a heterogeneous mix of both which has essentially combined as a sole identity for foundation of Basque policy. The Euskadi respect their Spanish neighbour regions yet in some way display a sense of snobbery (which is too much at times) and conclusively want to maintain their own identity.

Even your Andalucian group to some extent strive for their further bond and strengthening of their own identity. In the end this is why the call our homeland "the land of countries within a countries"

Aside from you and I people don't seem to understand the Spanish mentality as a whole
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by che Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:41 pm

barcelona playing a lot of local players = amazing, genius, every club should promote local talent

bilbao playing only local players = ZOMG RACIST!!!111!

:facepalm:

sure it would get boring if all clubs did it but seriously...

why aren't we questioning the only-3-non-eu-players rule by the way? or serie a's 2 non-eu per transfer period? or the entire system of work permits, not just in football?

stop the politically correct bullshit please
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:43 pm

How could it be racist if they have black players? Rolling Eyes

Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist? - Page 2 31575

Clearly they don't discriminate against races.

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:45 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:How could it be racist if they have black players? Rolling Eyes

Hopefully this isn't serious

che wrote:barcelona playing a lot of local players = amazing, genius, every club should promote local talent

why aren't we questioning the only-3-non-eu-players rule by the way? or serie a's 2 non-eu per transfer period? or the entire system of work permits, not just in football?

Why are you getting so defensive arq?
It really could be considered racism, but it shouldn't be

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:45 pm

rwo power wrote:@Arqui

Bavarians have their own language, too. Ask any German (or as the Bavarians would say "Prussian") outside of Bavaria Razz
(And it might surprise you, but there is actually a political party in Bavaria that works on trying to turn Bavaria into a sovereign country...)

No no RWO you have misunderstood me here.

You must understand Euskera (Basque native language) has absolutely no relation to Espanol in any sort of way. Prussian is still a part of the Germanic language (Austro-German) as it doesn't have such disparities as compared to Euskera. So in that sense it is harder to justify Bavarian independence.

And I'm also aware of the Bavarian movement for separation yet that is a relatively small group similar to Canada's Quebec group (who also aim for independence)
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:46 pm

che wrote:barcelona playing a lot of local players = amazing, genius, every club should promote local talent

Che my man. You have my respect :bow:
Luca wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:How could it be racist if they have black players? Rolling Eyes

Hopefully this isn't serious

Why are you getting so defensive arq?
It really could be considered racism, but it shouldn't be

Its not me Luca Very Happy
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:48 pm

so just because its football clubs can be racist...okay
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Sorry arq, I guess I was looking at your username but quoted che Laughing

zizzle wrote:so just because its football clubs can be racist...okay

Football clubs are like a private business, they're allowed to sign and release players without hesitation under their own governance

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Where's the +1 when you need it ffs.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next