Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist?

+24
RealGunner
Adit
Ganso
McLewis
BarrileteCosmico
che
Luca
Le Samourai
Arquitecto
stevieg8
Senor Penguin
kiranr
ELO
Great Leader Sprucenuce
zizzle
Zealous
free_cat
7amood11
Gil
Onyx
rwo power
Vibe
The Messiah
sportsczy
28 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist? Empty Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist?

Post by sportsczy Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:24 am

I don't think that you can allow such blatant and extreme discrimination on a team that plays in an elite league. It's a slippery slope... what if another team decides to take on a similar policy for their region?
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist? Empty Re: Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist?

Post by The Messiah Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:27 am

They need to make a reasonable adjustment to that policy, football is evolving and they need to evolve along with other clubs, it will also help them get more fans and make more money.

They could make adjustment by allowing 5 non Basque player under 21 or so, at a time.

Last edited by The Messiah on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist? Empty Re: Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist?

Post by sportsczy Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:29 am

Could you imagine what would happen if Bayern had an all-Bavarian policy?!
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:30 am

Not at all.

In fact all of football should be like this...All about knowledge,no politics,no business,only the beauty of talent and ability of those who nurture it.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:34 am

sportsczy wrote:Could you imagine what would happen if Bayern had an all-Bavarian policy?!

it will be absurd, we are smart enough not to apply such insane policy, otherwise we won't be a dominant club and the landmark of European football.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:39 am

IMO it is not racist, but not really clever as they cut into their own flesh as they only have a much smaller player pool to choose from.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:41 am

rwo power wrote:IMO it is not racist, but not really clever as they cut into their own flesh as they only have a much smaller player pool to choose from.

add to that, small fan base.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 am

What's the policy?

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 am

They've never been relegated so I don't see how the policy has hindered them.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 am

Vibe wrote:Not at all.

In fact all of football should be like this...All about knowledge,no politics,no business,only the beauty of talent and ability of those who nurture it.

That's just like international football.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:51 am

"Basque" is not a race, so it can't be racist.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:53 am

free_cat wrote:"Basque" is not a race, so it can't be racist.

Yeah.

Xenophobic maybe but definitely not racist.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:55 am

Vibe wrote:Not at all.

This is a thread about Athletic Bilbao lol
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:00 am

When race/nationality is the primary factor in signing players it is racist. I dont even know how they're not being sued for it.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am

So now we have a problem with a club with only purchasing local talent....

For starters it's not racist but who cares if it was, i wish more clubs were like Bilbao and not just throwing money around everywhere.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by ELO Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am

there are no human races, the term racism today is used for any (ethnic, geographic, phenotype,etc..) discrimantion

on topic: i like the fact they use local talent, although yes it can be called racist to a degree.
ELO
ELO
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 am

EPL teams using local talent. Do you guys consider Bilbao's player policy racist? 123n7r

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:04 am

Racism is when you discriminate against a race. As far as i can see, Bilbao are not discriminating against any one particular race. They are just promoting their own local talent.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:06 am

I guess this is only shocking to Americans or people who spent a lot of time there. In the US, this is illegal constitutionally. All employers must allow for equal opportunity or they get shut down...

It may not be racist technically. But it's blatant discrimination.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am

ELO wrote:

there are no human races, the term racism today is used for any (ethnic, geographic, phenotype,etc..) discrimantion

on topic: i like the fact they use local talent, although yes it can be called racist to a degree.
Beat me to it. Was about to say that there is no such thing as human races.

And I agree. You could consider it "racist" but I don't really think it applies that much to football. If it was anything but a sports institution it would seem very out of place to have such a policy.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am

When you do it by region, it's no longer racist imo. Bayern sticking with Bavarians does not discriminate against any group, it simply requires residence - like running for office in the US. I would have a problem if they said "no Catholics" or "no Black players," but they're not saying anything along those lines.

Unless I'm way off base and one has to be of Basque descent as well as from the area to play for them?
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 am

There's no problem in promoting local talent, matter of fact i encourage that, but when your official policy is to sign only local players, which is restricting other equality talented outsiders from an equal apportunity, then it is racism. I understand that their policy is not intended to be racist but that's what it really is, its like an american corporation not hiring me because i wasnt born there. That's racist
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 am

It is not like they are targeting a particular group. They are only promoting from within. I just can't get my head around how you guys are terming this racist.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 am

stevieg8 wrote:When you do it by region, it's no longer racist imo. Bayern sticking with Bavarians does not discriminate against any group, it simply requires residence - like running for office in the US. I would have a problem if they said "no Catholics" or "no Black players," but they're not saying anything along those lines.

Unless I'm way off base and one has to be of Basque descent as well as from the area to play for them?

what's the difference betwen discriminating by region and discriminating by nationality ?
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 am

stevieg8 wrote:When you do it by region, it's no longer racist imo. Bayern sticking with Bavarians does not discriminate against any group, it simply requires residence - like running for office in the US. I would have a problem if they said "no Catholics" or "no Black players," but they're not saying anything along those lines.

Not necessarily, for example Higuian is qualified to play for Bilbao through his grandfather.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next