Penn State severely punished by NCAA for Sandusky sex abuse scandal

+4
Blue Barrett
Le Samourai
dmize
McLewis
8 posters

Go down

Penn State severely punished by NCAA for Sandusky sex abuse scandal Empty Penn State severely punished by NCAA for Sandusky sex abuse scandal

Post by McLewis Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Penn State Punishments:

- $60 million fine, representing approximately one year of football revenues. These funds will go to child sex abuse awareness programs.

- 4-year bowl game ban.

- Scholarship reduction, cap lasting four years.

- Any entering, returning football student athlete can transfer immediately. Presuming academic requirements are met, these potential transfers can play immediately.

- PSU vacates all wins from 1998-2011. The loss of 111 career wins drops Joe Paterno from atop the all-time wins list to 12th.

- PSU begins a five-year probationary period, with the NCAA reserving the right to implement further punishments.

-------------------------------

The right punishment for those who allowed Sandusky to do what he did, but incredibly harsh on everyone else at that school who had nothing to do with this, athletes included. That said, the school was spared the NCAA "Death Penalty" which would meant suspension from all competitions so they can at least be grateful for that.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Penn State severely punished by NCAA for Sandusky sex abuse scandal Empty Re: Penn State severely punished by NCAA for Sandusky sex abuse scandal

Post by dmize Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 pm

This was worse than the Death Penalty for them

It does punish students and those who didn't have anything to do with it, but there was no other way to punish Penn St and not do that.

Truth is Penn State let their students down when they decided that their college football program was more important than the welfare of children.

Oh and props to Bobby Bowden, now the all-time wins leader for college coaches.

Edit: full list of sanctions: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/20120723/21207232
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Penn State severely punished by NCAA for Sandusky sex abuse scandal Empty Re: Penn State severely punished by NCAA for Sandusky sex abuse scandal

Post by Le Samourai Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Scholarship reduction strictly for football or other sports as well?

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 pm

I don't watch college football(or even NFL) but I've been following this story. I don't think the school deserved the ban.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Barrettinator wrote:I don't watch college football(or even NFL) but I've been following this story. I don't think the school deserved the ban.

What did you think they deserved?

and Le Sam just for football
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:37 pm

dmize wrote:
Barrettinator wrote:I don't watch college football(or even NFL) but I've been following this story. I don't think the school deserved the ban.

What did you think they deserved?

and Le Sam just for football
I think they deserved everything BUT the ban and the scholarship reduction. I mean consider the scholarship reduction, its going to make sure they don't have top players AND make sure they don't have enough depth.....while playing against other top tier teams. I don't think that's fair.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:39 am

Fair? Was covering up the molestations of young lads fair to those that suffered?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:44 am

I think Scolarships is sketchy, they probably deserve the punishment, but it does mean less scholarship money for prospects out there, and even if they find another school , people will lose out...some student athletes will miss out on a chance to go to college because of this.

Don't think it's unfair, just think it's sad.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:55 am

RedOranje wrote:Fair? Was covering up the molestations of young lads fair to those that suffered?
Despite the fact that I think they deserved most of those penalties, I do think its a criminal case and should have been left for the court alone to handle. By doing this, the NCAA have put themselves in a position where they have to take action whenever a case involving a school program goes to court. Not the best position to be in imo.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:45 am

Very good punishment imo.

The best part is the fact that they took away Paterno's wins basically killing his legacy.

His family has been utterly disgraceful and have said they will conduct their own "investigation" even though there is clear evidence that Paterno knew everything Sandusky was upto. They just can't admit to themselves their great father, husband or whatever could have stopped the disgusting abuse of childern

Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:58 am

Barrettinator wrote:
RedOranje wrote:Fair? Was covering up the molestations of young lads fair to those that suffered?
Despite the fact that I think they deserved most of those penalties, I do think its a criminal case and should have been left for the court alone to handle. By doing this, the NCAA have put themselves in a position where they have to take action whenever a case involving a school program goes to court. Not the best position to be in imo.

It became a case against the school when the Freeh report came out that showed all the high ranking members of PSU authority either looked the other way, or made a conscience effort to cover it all up. It's Lack of Institutional Control, maybe not by it's textbook definition by the NCAA, but it was. While normally the NCAA won't interfere with criminal cases these were unprecedented circumstances, something had to be done.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:10 am

What does this have to do with wins on the football field? I don't see a point in vacating wins.. Everyone will still look at Paterno as the winning-est coach
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:05 am

Fully deserved.

I always support for punishments to be as extreme as possible; that'll teach them a lesson, comfort the victims to an extent, and be a good warning for other possible offenders
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down