10 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Official Socceroos Thread Empty Official Socceroos Thread

Post by Forza Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:15 am

Official Socceroos Thread 1711webstory_socceroos,0

Zealous wrote:Australia parking the bus and stealing a 0-0 draw hmm
[v Oman]
To be honest, the current crop of Socceroos are a bunch of washed-up hacks compared to the ones who got one minute away from forcing Italy into extra-time in the 2006 WC Round of 16.

Forwards
Thompson (Melbourne Vicotry) - absolute shit (82'nd minute  :facepalm: )
Vidosic (Adelaide United) - not NT quality
Kruse (Fortuna Düsseldorf II) - one of the younger generation coming through, not in a good-enough club though
Brosque (Shimizu S-Pulse) - ok
N. Burns (Incheon United) - looked promising when he was younger, dropped off the radar since then
Cahill - past it, but still a good squad player
Holman (Aston Villa, just moved from AZ) - our best and most in-form striker (missed the game due to birth of his 2nd child)
Kewell - golden boy of the team for years, well past it now. old and slow.
McDonald (Middlesbrough) - ok at club level, absolutely useless for the NT
Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus) - a useful player, especially against Asian teams with no height in defence
Rukavytsya (Hertha BSC) - alright
Leckie (BMG) - at a good team, but gets little game-time

Midfielders
Kilkenny (Bristol City) - meh
Oar (FC Utrecht) - young talent coming through
Herd (Aston Villa) - good
Carle (Sydney FC) - not NT quality
Emerton (Sydney FC) - over the hill
Jedinak (Crystal Palace) - meh
McKay (Busan IPark) - i have my doubts over him, he was promoted on good form, but I suspect that he's not NT quality either
Breciano (Al Nasr) - old, but sadly still one of our better players
Valeri (Sassuolo) - meh
Paartalu (Brisbane Roar) - not NT quality
Troisi (Kayserispor) - alright
Sarota (FC Utrecht) - youth coming through

Defenders
North (Consadole Sapporo) - past it
Carney (Bunyodkor) - ok, but not really NT quality
McKain (Adelaide United) - not NT quality
Marrone (Melbourne Heart) - a younger player, but not NT quality
Zullo (FC Utrecht) - youth coming through
DeVere (Gyeongnam) - youth coming through
Spiranovic (Urawa Red Diamonds) - good
Williams (Middlesbrough) - alright
Milligan (JEF United Chiba) - not NT quality
Ogenovski (Seongnam Ilhwa) - old, but good
Neill (Al Jazira) - well past it
Thwaite (Perth Glory) - not NT quality
Wilkshire (Dynamo Moscow) - good

Goalkeepers
Galekovic (Adelaide United) - good, but part of the older generation
Federici (Reading) - ok
Coe (SønderjyskE) - i have no idea how good/bad he is. needs to be at a bigger team.
Langerak (Dortmund) - future 1st choice gk, gets little game time
Schwarzer - still ok, time to step aside for langerak though
Jones (Liverpool) - good, gets little game-time
Matt Ryan (Central Coast Mariners) - young but not NT quality, considering that Jones and Langerak are far better

My starting XI: (4-4-1-1)
Kennedy
----- Holman
Troisi - Jedinak - Herd - Bresciano  
Zullo - Ogenovski - Spiranovic - Wilshire
Langerak
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Official Socceroos Thread Empty Re: Official Socceroos Thread

Post by BarcaKizz Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:09 am

Tbh we've shown we aren't a team capable of going on the road and flogging a team. We can do it at home, but not on the road in Asia. Meanwhile, we are capable of holding very high quality teams off. I wouldn't read too much into the result.

What I was disappointed in was Holger's selection. I can't understand why North started ahead of Williams. Willliams was one of the best in the Championship, while North is old, washed up and never good enough anyway. Very disappointed and the balance of the team was poor. We missed our best player Holman too.

Holger appears to continue wanting to play a sort of 4-2-2-2 or what Forza has above.

I think there are a few options. I don't know why all the doom and gloom. Before this round we were looking very good. Much better than anything since the 2006 WC.

My opinions on players:

GK:
Galekovic (Adelaide United) - Wouldn't have him in the running.
Federici (Reading) - Good, should be our second choice.
Coe (SønderjyskE) - Also seen him few times, looks alright, but I don't see why he's preferred to Langerak.
Langerak (Dortmund) - Promising, should be 3rd choice and if he progresses future #1.
Schwarzer - Has declined a bit, but still our best and reliable at NT level.
Jones (Liverpool) - Good keeper, I agree he doesn't get enough game-time.
Matt Ryan (Central Coast Mariners) - Promising prospect, give him 5 years and we'll see where he's at.

RB:
Wilkshire- Great player and our future captain. Very underrated. Could play for most EPL teams comfortably.
Williams- Also very promising and we should find ways to use him more. He's finally ready to play a big role. Versatile, can play CB and DM as well.
North- Rubbish, get him out of the squad.
(Untested options: Ivan Franjic (Roar)- Much more of a genuine fullback than North.

CB:
Neill- You've been harsh. He's still the reason why our defence is our strength. Great organiser and still very reliable for us. We need to find a replacement, they are huge shoes to fill.
Spiranovic- Good player, and its a huge plus he's good on the ball. Makes some huge errors at times though. Needs to watch players like Pique and learn.
Ognenovski- Good player, but he's too old to be making the next WC.
De Vere- I'd like to see him in the squad pronto, very promising.
Milligan- Don't really rate him...
Lowry- From Aston Villa... haven't seen much of him... sounds promising though.

LB:
Zullo- Needs to work on his defence a lot, but a good prospect
Carney- Surprisingly steps up for NT, but Zullo pips him for me
(Untested options: Jason Davidson (Heracles)- Showed promise in Portugal and earned a move to the Eredivisie. Very promising considering he's just 20.

CM:
Valeri- Keeps it simple, probably our best DM. Passes well, holds his position.
Jedinak- Has a great presence, but I don't see us moving forward with him. Lacks good passing.
Kilkenny- Very good passer, made a dumb move to leave Leeds for Bristol... Stagnated his career.
Herd- Very promising, was going to get his chance with NT before an injury. One for the future, hopefully shows he can start.
Bresciano- Old, but a good playmaker. Played one great game to get his name back amongst it, but I question whether he really should be there.
Sarota- Young, but looks pretty ordinary.
Paartaluu- If he was young, I'd be excited, but he isn't. Better to give young guys chances instead.
(Future options: Terry Antonis)

Wings/AMs:
Cahill- Declining but still quality... difficult to fit him in the starting XI though. Could be best as an impact sub.
Oar- Talented, but given little chances. Needs to keep working overseas. He's one of our best prospects.
Rukavystsya- Very quick, which is a weapon we lack. I would keep him in the squad, could be useful.
Kewell- Getting old, but still has a great touch and experience. I would keep him in the squad for now.
Emerton- He's getting past it, but plays best for the NT. Hard to keep him out.
Troisi- Looks a decent option, not great though.
Holman- Our best player and plays on a different level really.
McKay- Versatile and very hardworking. Has a great cross, but looking forward we need different options.
Nichols- Good young player, should get his chances in the future.
(Future options: Mustafa Amini)

FWDs:
Brosque- Much improved and has shown he's a good option.
Kennedy- Combines well with Holman, but severely limits our play.
Thompson- Doesn't really deserve to be back in the mix. Decent player, but he's not the future is he.
Kruse- Promising young player, but not good enough yet.
Leckie- Hopefully he gets a loan... promising player.
Burns- Probably will always be on the fringes, has some quality though...
(Future options: Kerem Bulut- Oz's Mario Balotelli... needs to mature a lot, but has loads of talent. A genuine striker, which is what we lack)
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:35 am

I agree generally with what you've said. Although, we will have to agree to disagree on Neill. For me, his repeated failure to handle quick attackers is a serious drawback. He does have some useful tackling and leadership qualities. Also, I acknowledge that my line-up and evaluations are somewhat radical, but I'm thinking more towards who will play at the WC, than who should start right now. Good points on Ogenovski and Bresciano though. It's difficult to see them being in Brazil, but they are still pivotal parts of the team.

Your starting XI?
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Forza Rossoneri wrote:I agree generally with what you've said. Although, we will have to agree to disagree on Neill. For me, his repeated failure to handle quick attackers is a serious drawback. He does have some useful tackling and leadership qualities. Also, I acknowledge that my line-up and evaluations are somewhat radical, but I'm thinking more towards who will play at the WC, than who should start right now. Good points on Ogenovski and Bresciano though. It's difficult to see them being in Brazil, but they are still pivotal parts of the team.

Your starting XI?

Other than the WC vs Germany, when has our defence failed miserably? Neill is key our defence, so he must be doing something right. I think we're capable of keeping any team in the world out for 90 minutes. We have a very stubborn, organised defence.

Starting XI? Is very difficult, because a few positions there are no clear choices. Mainly in the attack.

Based on Holger's recent choices... I think this is probably our starting XI:

Schwarzer
Wilkshire - Neill - Spiranovic - Zullo
Valeri - Jedinak
Kewell - Holman - McKay
Kennedy

Looking to the WC... I would like to see Williams come into the team and play right back or DM. Wilkshire can also play DM and is a better passer than Jedinak, so I wouldn't mind seeing him given a shot there. Herd should ideally get some chances as well. Rukavytsya has some qualities we lack, so I think he could be useful.

Maybe something like:

Schwarzer/Federici
Williams - Neill - Spiranovic - Zullo
Wilkshire - Valeri/Herd
Rukavytsa - Kewell - Holman
Brosque

I would love to see something like this. Cahill off the bench.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Just a question, how much Socceroos do you watch? Its just weird that you're writing off guys like Schwarzer and Neill when over the years they have saved us and continue to do so. Neill is such a good organiser.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 am

BarcaKizz wrote:Just a question, how much Socceroos do you watch? Its just weird that you're writing off guys like Schwarzer and Neill when over the years they have saved us and continue to do so. Neill is such a good organiser.
A decent amount, not every single game. I did see our two most recent performances v Denmark and Oman though.

I'm not writing off Neill, it's just that I think we need to find a better replacement come 2014. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Schwarzer is an absolute beast, but he's probably not going to make the WC. He will be 40 in a few months. We need to train up a reliable deputy. What if Schwarzer retires after the qualifiers?

I am curious as to why you've left Kewell in your team for the WC?

We need to integrate a younger generation of players into our team instead of playing veterans all the time.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:31 am

I dont watch many Socceroos game (although im way more excited for the Japan game then any Euro games) ive watched a fair few Fulham games and Schwarzer has is still an absoute animal for them and even though he will retire soon imo he should always be picked when fit.
Hopefuly if we can qualify for the WC before our last qualifier so we can give someone like Langerak some game time
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:52 am

For me, coming back to Australia and watching a few games, Bres is good to have as he provides that extra security with domianting the midfield and his passing is better than most of the Australian team but he won't go to WC. Neill is essential in the defense and he is constantly a good performer for us. He is well organised and is a main reason why our defense stays when players like Spar or Ogeon make errors. I would like to see him at WC for sure. It just his leadership, his organisation in defense and his touch on the ball that makes him so vital for the Socceroos. Ogen is getting old and Sparnovik is good if not better replacement but as I said, he something makes errors that Neill and other have to cover up. I would like Carney to be on the left though Zullo will be the future LB for us though his defense needs to improve. Too use to being a winger...
Schawz may not go all the way but at least we have decent replacements in Langervak, Federcici, Jones and Coe. For me, Federicic is going to be the man replacing Schwz and with him being in the English Premier League next season, he will experience what it is like to play with the 'greats'. Jones need more game time and I find with Doni and Reina ahead of him, that he won't get much game time at all. He needs to move somewhere where he can get game time. As for Kewell, well he definately is a constant performer for the Australia though with him moving to England, I can sense him getting injuried regularly with more game time.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:15 am

I wish I was an Australian-Catalan Sad. Living between Girona and Sydney... thats like my dream. Pale :bow: You've also gotta be like the only Spaniard who follows the A-League.

Btw... nice spelling and grammar there :bow: lol. Were you on a phone or something?

Bresch is good... but really old... My hope is Herd is a good passer, because we haven't managed to replace Culina, who was our best passer for about 5 years (Bresch also there too) and playing top class football at PSV. Nobody seems to want to use Kilkenny, who I would think is our best CM passer. Jedinak is just a physical beast... offers little more, Milligan is trash... Valeri is functional, but needs a playmaker with him.

Something I'd like him to try is Wilkshire in the CM. He's played there before and was ace. He's one of our best players and better on the ball than all our CMs so I'd love to see him there. Williams is also good enough to cover RB for him.

CM is our weakness atm. Our defence normally works reasonably, even if it has a donkey like North in there.

I pretty much stand by the team I posted above... with Cahill, Kewell and maybe someone else battling for that final XI spot. I really want us to use Rukavytsya more.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:41 am

Kizz! Im officially back in Australia, we bought the place, that I was discussing about. Indeed CM is a problem and I find that we need to be looking at the future and our fate in the WC. Bres has been the best playmaker we have at the moment and well we cannot rely on him to perform at the top level at the WC. imo, Carle will be suited towards Brazil conditions and has the ability to play as a CM. Bres is too old and well Carle is 5 or so years younger than him so I feel that he can do the job well! Jedinak and Wilshere I feel don't have skill to play as a good playmaker like Bres or Carle imo and should be left in their 'preferred' positions. In the friendlies from now till the WC, Oiesk needs to be looking at possibilites of players going to the WC and that includes another defender for Oesgn and Niell. I feel that these two players may not go 'all the way' and we need someone who can play at the international level, they obviously don't need to perform at the same levels like Niell but need to be capable of playing at international level. Definately Oiesk needs to sort out CM role as Bres won't go to Brazil. Attack is another worry. We have a good attacker who is playing in South America who wants to play for the Socceroos apparently through the numerous sources I have read (World Game, SMH, Daily Mail etc.) and I feel if he is good as Kennedy if not better, we need to take interest before Chile do. Ruka (the fast attacker) probably won't suit Brazil conditions therefore he probably won't start most games (mainly come on like a Tello figure). Cahill, Kewell, Bres, Niell, Oeogn are definately players we need to find replacements and thats a start! Lets hope Oiesek agrees with me!
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:09 am

I also think part of our problem is that we aren't bringing young blokes who can replace the links of Bres, Kewell, Niell, Cahill, Emerton etc. Holger said he was during his first press conference though so far, we have not. Borta needs to come in. We cannot waste talent like what he produces. See how young U-20 bloke who is playing for Spurs is like... Oegs and Niell we cannot rely on as I said though our replacements aren't satisfying. We may need to bring in Milligan. Sparinovic and Milligan. Reminds me of a Puyol-Mascherano combo at the back.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:51 am

Thought the Socceroos were quite average last night against a weak Iraq. Without a creative midfield or playmaker (No Bresciano and obviously no one trusts Nicky Carle either), we were lacking the creativity, the final pass. Our link up play was good at times with Kruse, Holman, Mackay and Cahill but no final pass between any of these players meaning not many chances being created. Robbie Kruse was MOTM tbh. Looks like the next Harry Kewell with all the skill he possess as well as the ability to skip past his man, make good passes/crosses, the mobility and agility to work in tight spaces and harass the opposition. Great player and has to be a starter for the Socceroos every game. He is the killer weapon we have been lacking for some quite time. Holman was great on the left hand side with Mackay with the attacking runs from LWB. Both had great games. Spiranovic was brilliant as well. Needs to be starting instead of Oegonoski. Younger, quicker, better in the air, strong and so much better passing from the back. With an aging backline, Matthew is the player that we need to regenerate our backline. If he plays those games against much harder oppositions, he can be heading into Europe. Really am excited for his future with the Socceroos and hopefully he can continue to play as he is the way to grow. I love Holger's 4-2-3-1. So much better than the 4-4-1-1 with either Cahill, Kewell or Holman as the man behind the CF however there are problems. Valeri and Jedinak are the right pairing in the DM's positions however Valeri apparently isn't getting minutes with his Italian B side which is worrying. Seria A is bad enoguh for me though the second division is probably even twice as bad as the A league. If Valeri can start for his team week in and week out, how is he suppose to succeed with the Socceroos? Both holding mids and strong, good position wise and decent passers so if they both can play great on a consistent basis with their respected clubs then the base of our midfield will be fine. The upper midfield is the problem for me. We need a playmaker who can play that final pass and be the heart of the midfield who can keep possession for his team. Cahill isn't that player, Bresciano or Carle are those options. Both can do those three elements that stated. Bresciano however cannot play a full 90 minutes for Australia barely even 60 which is a worry. We need someone who can keep control throughout the entire game. Nicky Carle then could be that option though it seems that either Holger or Pim Verback have any confidence in him for some reason which is ridiculous. Carle has been the best and consistent playmaker in the A-League imo for some quite time... Probably now moving off where maybe he can attract the national coach's attention and hopefully he will as he is a key if we are to create chances throughout an entire game. Kruse and Holman need to be both playing as they are playing in good professional teams, both playing very well for their teams. This means Cahill goes unless you put him up front which is a shame as he is literally the only one who is good with the team (Thompson is the other option but he is on the bench...).
Mackay was good though when he gets tested by harder teams do we know that he is the right person for LB.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:57 am

I'm a bit biased, but Vidosic and Cassio are better options in their respective positions compared to who the Socceroos have atm.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:33 am

I was going to comment but been very busy. I'll keep it brief.

Firstly, I don't think so Forza... Vidosic is a fringe Socceroo and is definitely no better than players in his position. I kinda like him and he's performed decently at times. He deserves to be in contention for a squad spot, but he needs to maintain a high level and really dominate if he's going to break in from the A-League. I do believe he can do it though.

Cassio? He's a natural left back which helps and he may edge Davidson and Zullo, but we need to look to the future so these guys need chances. For now McKay is my pick though. Might not be a natural LB but he's a better player than Cassio for sure. He's performed well for the Socceroos and earned his spot. I'd also rather him there and have a more attacking player on the wing.

I like this line-up, but I think we lack a couple of things... Mainly a playmaker at CM or AM. Valeri, Jedinak, Cahill triangle has got about as much creativity as a commerce student.

Desperately need a replacement for Culina. I don't really like Jedinak so I'd remove him and I'd like to see us try a few players... One option for me is pushing Wilkshire there and using Williams at RB. Otherwise we should try guys like Herd and Kilkenny. Kilkenny has proven to be a good passer, but has never gotten a decent chance.

I would then like to shift Holman into a central position because he's our most creative attacking threat.

We have some good wingers, but we gotta start giving more opps to guys like Oar and Rukavytsya.

Brosque has been consistently good over the past 2 years and I think he deserves the #9 positon.

My main issue though has been depth... Dunno why we keep picking guys like North and leave out Williams. Is Williams injured? The guy is a gun. One of our best young players at the moment and we pick North, a completely useless washed up player.

I'd like to see this:

Schwarzer
Wilkshire Neill Spiro McKay
Kilkenny Valeri
Kruse Holman Oar/Ruka
Brosque

Then depth of: Langerak, Federici, Williams, McGowan, De Vere, Zullo/Davidson, Jedinak, Sarota/Bresch, Leckie, Cahill, Richie Porta

Highlighted guys who didn't make this squad.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ausbaz Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:01 am

No Herd ? scratch

Kid was playing in the BPL ffs and can't get into our NT

And Williams needs to start playing! BOTH of them have a great potential.
Hell, Rhys is probably the best Australian midfielder atm.

ausbaz
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:17 am

ausbaz wrote:No Herd ? scratch

Have you watched much of Williams for club? I havent.

You think he's best at DM, RB or CB? If he's better than Valeri on the ball we should get him in there pronto. Valeri-Williams (Jedinak is a thug).

Herd was picked a while ago but got injured... I think he'll break in b4 World Cup at least.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 am

McKay is not a natural LB and shouldn't be in that position. It's an invalid comparison to say that McKay is a better attacking-mid than Cassio and hence should start over Cassio at LB.

Kilkenny-Valeri is a weak point.

Troisi should also be in the team.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by ausbaz Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:44 am

BarcaKizz wrote:
ausbaz wrote:No Herd ? scratch

Have you watched much of Williams for club? I havent.

You think he's best at DM, RB or CB? If he's better than Valeri on the ball we should get him in there pronto. Valeri-Williams (Jedinak is a thug).

Herd was picked a while ago but got injured... I think he'll break in b4 World Cup at least.

He's a natural championship player, strong and hard with a fair bit of quality too and I watched a few games of him last season and from what i saw he deserves the spot over any of our midfielders. Hell, he rejected an 8mill transer from someone in the PL (I forget) to stay with Borough. He has the armband now there to. If he gets a good run, future captain.

ausbaz
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:43 am

Richie Porta stats (last 10 club games):
10 starts - 10 goals

Since his move to Dubai: 6 (6 goals)

... Still can't get a call-up. Holger says its 'complicated' because he was selected for Uruguay as a youth, but this doesn't make sense to me as youth football changes nothing.

Anyway squad for friendly against Korea:

Eli BABALJ FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd, SERBIA
Aziz BEHICH Melbourne Heart FC, AUSTRALIA
Alex BROSQUE Al-Ain Club, UAE
James HOLLAND FK Austria Vienna, AUSTRIA
Mathew LECKIE FSV Frankfurt 1899, GERMANY
Ryan McGOWAN Heart of Midlothian FC, SCOTLAND
Matthew McKAY Busan I Park, KOREA REPUBLIC
Lucas NEILL Al-Wasl Sports Club, UAE
Tommy OAR FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS
Tom ROGIC Central Coast Mariners FC, AUSTRALIA
Nikita RUKAVYTSYA FSV Mainz 05, GERMANY
Mathew Ryan Central Coast Mariners FC, AUSTRALIA -
Adam SAROTA FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS
Mark SCHWARZER Fulham FC, ENGLAND
Matthew SPIRANOVIC Al Arabi, QATAR
Archie THOMPSON Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA
Michael THWAITE Perth Glory FC, AUSTRALIA
Carl VALERI U.S. Sassuolo Calcio, ITALY
Luke WILKSHIRE FK Dinamo Moscow, RUSSIA

Bit experimental, great to see Rogic there... He is a star. What a player, huge talent.

Surprised Vidosic isn't there.

Would rather they picked De Vere than Thwaite.

Oar should start this one and I hope Ryan starts in goals...

Team I'd like to see:

Ryan
Wilkshire Neill Spiro McKay
Sarota Valeri
Rukavytsya Rogic Oar
Brosque
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Why no Langerak or Troisi?

Oar and Sarota :bow:
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:45 am

After the East-Asian Qualifiers and friendlies we have played. I would really love to see Holger play this:
-------------------Schwarzer--------------------
Wilshere--Cronwhaite--Spiranovic--Behich
----------Jednaik-------------Holland------------
--------Kruse----------Rogic----------Holman--
-----------------------Porta-----------------------

Niell has to go soon as I cannot trust him to lead our backline in the world cup. Cronwhaite and Spiranovic are both tall players who can win aerial battles. Spiranovic can play from the back whilst Cronwhaite is quite good winning and tackling. Cronwhaite has got no composure though and may lose that bit of composure on and off the ball. Still better than Niell imo. Behich has proven to be a very good attacking fullback and has shown in the A-League good defensive player as well. Valeri isn't getting any game time therefore take him out and place a ball distributor box-to-box midfielder to help Rogic create opportunities. Arron Mooy can also play that position if needed and provides more creativity than Holland. Jedanik is simply a ball winner and destroyer.
I was thinking Ruka but both Holman and Kruse have proven their worth and Ruka and his pace/acceleration can be used off the bench to change a game. Porta may not ever come and if he may never get into the 'system' that the Socceroos carry out. Don't particularly like Brosque tbh. Holds the ball well and a decent head but doesn't get into enough attacking positions or positions that can provide a dangerous threat for a chance on goal.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:20 am

Dunno about Cornflakes... What has he done? Played in those joke qualifiers. I think I'd rather see more chances for McGowan and Williams. Atm though, we still need Neill. Spiranovic isn't ready to lead the line.

Rukavytsya was really impressive against Korea and I think he deserves a few starts. Rogic should start being called regularly, if only for the bench. I'd move Holman central.

Random note... My Socceroos Fifa team in 2014 is:

Federici
Wilkshire McGowan Spiranovic Zullo
Williams Herd
Rukavytsya Holman Troisi
Kruse
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:34 am

Cornflakes is not Socceroos quality. I've seen him play many times. He was usually benched at Adelaide.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:55 am

Been thinking over what's been said and yeah your probably right. Been watching Cronwhaite since he was called up and actually since he went away from Australian shores and he has been below par. I think Holger will now be thinking overall about his side for the WC and sticking with the players he reckons will achieve the best result at Brazil. Niell has and will be a big part of Holgers defensive set up and well you said it right Kizz, Spiranovic, Cronwhaite, Oegs, Thwaite etc. are all not ready to lead the back line especially in such an important tournament due mainly because of the constant changes in the back line. Shane Lowry from Millwall of the Championships has definately caught my attention as well as other Socceroos fans. A future leader who has composure, reads the plays very well and decent on the ball. Has the speed of an average fullback (mainly because Millwall tend to play him there...) which is DEFINATELY all our centre backs that Australia have used lack... Our best performing centre back (when he plays there) and as I said a future leader of the back line alongside Spiranovic etc.
Wilshere looks to be our number 1 right back and Holger is set to use him in every game leading up to WC. Don't mind really as he has plenty of experience. His two replacements in McGowan (who has been play since the start of the season with Hearts) and Rhys Williams are quick good each presenting their trades in both attack and defense.
Kizz you mention Zullo at left back and tbh he seems better than Carney though he hasn't had much if at any minutes on the pitch in Holland since returning back to injury... Needs to fight for that starting spot. I have a few problems with him. First his height... He is quite short and doesn't have a good leap on him (like Masch) therefore doesn't have a chance against any tallish opposition. Plus he is like Marcelo. Only attacks, can't defend well. Aziz Behich impressed me in those silly qualifiers and has shown with Heart he can beat a defender and leave him for dead whilst solid in defense. He isn't much taller than Zullo though he has a better jump on him. Due to the fact that Zullo plays in a much better league than Behich gives me the feeling why Zullo may be considered a better option than Behich.
Midfield is interesting... The rising of Mooy, Holland and Herd to fight for the DLP role (if Holger plays 4-2-3-1). Mooy has found his feet very quickly since returning back to A-League and IMO is the best creative midfielder in Australia. Controls the play well, great link up player, defends well and ball distribution is great and will be a key in Brazil. Hopefully next season may move back to England to get more experience against better opposition... Holland and Herd on the other hand have been playing in better leagues for a longer time than Mooy and have been performing well in Holland and England. All three show can play the DLP role well enough though holland and Herd seem to be the go unless Mooy goes any time soon...
Up front is as trouble. Brosque holds the ball well but has no pace, heading accuracy is terrible and most Socceroos games he is anonymous and a waste of space. Thompson is a set sub. Nothing much when he starts... Troisi eh Kizz? Wasn't impressed when he was at the A League mainly because he had no pace and skill... Don't know where he is but hopefully he is improving and developing as a player... Kruse and Holman is a must as they perform week in week Putin top leagues against quality opposition... The question is who is going to play the 10 role. Rogic seems to be a big hit with the Mariners but he is young and maybe a big stage like the WC may overwhelm him especially with little playing time with the Socceroos... His creativity and link up play with the DLP will be much needed if we are to create chances... Something we seem not to do at all in the WCQs...

We play Romania in a friendly in Spain on the 7th of Feb so that will be interesting how Holger approaches this game and how our boys perform against a decent opposition...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 am

I ended the WC on Fifa just losing the semi to Brazil and then the 3rd place match to Spain. Sad but also Smile

In the end I had changed my team to:

Federici
Williams McGowan Spiro Wilkshire
Jedinak/Mooy Herd
Leckie Amini Troisi
Kruse

Ruka the impact sub with +90 pace.

Nice comments Sanchez. Very cool that you've seen some of Lowry. Can he be used before 2014 you think? I'd like some of these guys in the squad rather than the likes of North, Thwaite and Milligan.

McGowan and Williams can both play CB as well as RB and I'd love them in the squad. In fact, it's an abomination Williams keeps missing call up. He was superb last year for us. Can play 3 positions too...

At LB, I think it should be between Davidson, Zullo and anyone else we can find lol. Agree on Zullo... Hopefully Davidson can come good. Has a little bit more to him physically and defensively. I'd like to see him get a few more chances. Otherwise McKay hasn't been too bad there.

No 10 I would have Holman, because our other players aren't ready and he's easily our most influential. Thus he needs to be more central and see more ball. Then I'd like Ruka and Kruse flanking him.

Up front, well unless they look elsewhere the best we have now is Brosque and he has been scoring plenty in Saudi.

We need to groom Rogic for the 10 with bench appearances etc and we can't forget Amini. Oar needs to be there too as he proved his quality again against Korea.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next