+5
S
Tifoso Romanista
fatman123
Lex
dostoevsky
9 posters

Go down

Lippi confirmed as the new coach of Guangzhou Evergrande Empty Lippi confirmed as the new coach of Guangzhou Evergrande

Post by dostoevsky Thu May 17, 2012 11:58 am

Chinese champions Guangzhou Evergrande have officially announced former Italy World Cup-winning boss Marcello Lippi as the club's new coach.

The 60-year-old Italian, who hasn't coached since the Azzurri's failed 2010 World Cup campaign, was unveiled at a club press conference in Guangzhou on Thursday afternoon following Lee Jang-Soo's sacking on Tuesday evening.

Lippi, who has been linked with Guangzhou for the past few months, admitted there had been contact between the two parties since February.

"We first contacted each other four months ago. The president Xu Jiayin and vice president Liu Yongzhuo showed a huge desire to co-operate," Lippi said at the press conference.

"I have seen several games of the club in the Chinese Super League and AFC Champions League. I have remembered their numbers and performances, and soon I will know their names for sure. I also persuaded many of my coaching staff to come to China with me."

Lippi has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract with the big-spending Guangzhou and will be joined by assistant Narciso Pezzotti and a handful of other Italian coaches.

"I appreciate the support of Guangzhou Evergrande and I have seen many fans wearing our red shirt in Guangzhou city," he added.

"I am glad to see that kind of passion. And in the afternoon,I will go to the pitch and start my mission as the coach."

Lippi also paid tribute to the axed Lee, who guided the club to the 2011 Chinese title and top spot in Group H in the AFC Champions League.

"I have to say thank you to the former coach Lee Jang-Soo. With his hard work the club improved a lot in the past two years," Lippi said.

"With the groundwork he has left, we can be more successful with my biggest passion and professional abilities. I want to bring the modern Italian football style to China."

The Italian also wasn't keen to discuss the financial side of his contract, after rumours the deal was worth €10 million a season, and insisted he was in Guangzhou to change Chinese football.

"I don't like to talk about the question of money, it is the same in my whole career," he said. "I can only tell you the amount the club provides me is very satisfactory, and reaches the leading levels in Europe. I just came here to change Chinese football."

Owner Xu Jiayin said the club has the utmost faith in their new coach, as they strive to become one of the top clubs in Asia.

"I have enough faith in Lippi. He has the world-class football philosphy and charm. I am sure he will bring the club into a new level," Xu said.

Lippi will be joined by new Paraguay international signing Lucas Barrios in Guangzhou when the former Borussia Dortmund striker officially links up with the club on June 1.

Barrios and Lippi are significant acquisitions, this will represent a very significant development for Asian football at large, however hopefully the Chinese national team will stand as a beneficiary of such projects as well. It would be highly disappointing if it fails to take advantage of and stimulate grass roots football, however it's a great opportunity with someone such as Lippi entering the arena for the club to start a renewable project, though it remains to be seen how they will supplement the team and the effects it will have on the rest of the league.

Thoughts?
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Lippi confirmed as the new coach of Guangzhou Evergrande Empty Re: Lippi confirmed as the new coach of Guangzhou Evergrande

Post by Lex Thu May 17, 2012 12:04 pm

If Lippi really thinks people are going to buy his "i came here to change Chinese football" malarky, he must think we're utterly spastic
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Lippi confirmed as the new coach of Guangzhou Evergrande Empty Re: Lippi confirmed as the new coach of Guangzhou Evergrande

Post by fatman123 Thu May 17, 2012 12:13 pm

i didnt know Barrios went to China :facepalm: what a tool
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Thu May 17, 2012 5:09 pm

:lol!: after 2010 he is not wanted in any team in Italy but China , lmao
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu May 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Maybe he can take his pony Iaquinta with him too hmm
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Thu May 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Surag wrote:Maybe he can take his pony Iaquinta with him too hmm

Iaquinta is no pony, he'd be Italy's best CF if it wasn't for his constant injuries.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu May 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Grosso to Guangzhou basically a done deal then
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Sure he was the best CF when he took him to South Africa in 2010 ahead of Cassano ,Miccoli,Balotelli etc.

And then play him on the wing Laughing

Lippi has always had this fetish for Iaquinta and playing him on the wing in a 4-3-3 even though he is not naturally a wide player..
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Fri May 18, 2012 5:57 am

To be fair, before injuries finally destroyed Iaquinta he was a wonderful combination of speed and strength when utilised correctly and he played some great games under Lippi in such a role, however he'd been rendered completely immobile by the time the World Cup rolled around and Lippi just couldn't admit that his once great team was dead and he needed to cast out his veterans in exchange for players closer to their prime.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Fri May 18, 2012 6:00 am

Lex wrote:If Lippi really thinks people are going to buy his "i came here to change Chinese football" malarky, he must think we're utterly spastic
"I came here to buy Chinese football" you mean.

Shit, how many goals will Barrios rack up in that league?

Although I can't really complain. Sugar daddy clubs in China are better than 0 decent clubs at all.

Why doesn't someone buy a club in Japan? They have a sweet league.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Fri May 18, 2012 6:03 am

Anyway, even if Lippi's last project was a disaster, with a set of players he's not emotionally attached to begin with I believe he's an excellent investment. Bringing players such as Barrios risks making them above the team, however a manager such as Lippi eliminates such problems. They could bring anyone in from across the world, no name's going to intimidate Lippi and that firm and steady hand at the helm's just as necessary as the additions they make on the pitch to ensuring their money isn't wasted in fruitless ventures.

Can't hurt to get 10 million a year whilst you do this as well :coffee:
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Fri May 18, 2012 6:04 am

Lippi's what, 64? This is the only case of the "he sold out to finance his future" arguement makes sence.

Those 10m could pretty much nicely retire you.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Fri May 18, 2012 6:10 am

I doubt Lippi needs anything to retire and if he does I'm not sure where everything he has earned has gone, however he probably is legitimately interested in continuing his managerial career without the intense pressure of a national team or a European league.

He likely doesn't want his last job to go down as leading Italy to one of their worst results of all time, however he may not feel he has the energy to make up for this at the highest levels.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri May 18, 2012 6:31 am

ran out of cigars? smoking
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down