I Have Mono
justdoit_
jcsc13
Lord Awesome
Rebaño Sagrado
67 posters

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

USA USA USA!!! - Page 8 Empty Re: USA USA USA!!!

Post by Busby Babe Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:49 am

But isn't it different knees? I think he's just had terrible, terrible luck

Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:04 am

Yeah, huge news that Julian Green has decided to be the key to Bayern's eventual domination of the U.S. market.

I have heard nothing but good things in regards to Greens potential and ability as a player, but he is still a kid. However, this does guarantee that he goes to Brazil.

So who gets pushed out? I think it's most likely Shea given recent events and the fact that Bayern has been experimenting with Green on the left wing instead of forward where he dominated in the Regionlista. His future is still at forward, but they are trying to develop him into the complete forward needed for Pep's system. Obviously, he isn't scoring for fun anymore, but he has been quite the provider.

I am legitimately excited about this news, but I still feel bad that he is just going to parachute in and take a spot from someone who has been in the mix trying to make the squad for years.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Tue May 13, 2014 12:42 am

On top of news that Gedion Zelalem is making it a priority to get his citizenship and play for the USMNT :bow:

Jurgen has announced his 30 man squad for the pre-World Cup warm up games which will lead to his 23 man squad (no idea why he is waiting so long).

GOALKEEPERS (3): Tim Howard (Everton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), and Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (11): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

For me the only issues are the names in red in that some of them don't deserve the call up and some are just a wasted spot given what we need them to do or who else is available.

Plus, I am legitimately surprised that: Eddie Johnson and Tim Ream didn't get a call up.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue May 13, 2014 12:49 am

You have issues with Davis, Evans, Gonzalez, and Edu but not Julian Green or Yedlin?  scratch 
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Tue May 13, 2014 1:10 am

RedOranje wrote:You have issues with Davis, Evans, Gonzalez, and Edu but not Julian Green or Yedlin?  scratch 

Yedlin, I can't defend, I just like the kid and would rather use a player that actually will be a part of our team going forward. I will note that I would actually prefer Lichaj in this position if he was healthy.

I don't have a problem with Evans, but he isn't a natural RB, he doesn't even feature at RB for Seattle. He also isn't good enough to fill in at any other position so he doesn't fit the "utility" which Jurgen likes from other players. I basically just don't see the point. I would not be shocked if he made it given the consistency of his performances, he deserves it honestly, but I would not take him.

In regards to Davis, while he is great at set pieces which will be key in a World Cup format where historically 60% of goals come from dead ball situations, but for me it is the same as Evans due to his lack of utility.

Green, like it or not, with lack of EJ or Shea means we have to take him to Brazil. This is mainly because we have no legit threats at LM/LW unless we move Fabian Johnson out of the back line which is less than ideal given our defensive frailty.

Jurgen essentially got what he wanted by who he invited, making it look like he will have no other choice but take Green to Brazil. I am actually impressed, because I don't see anyone else actually calling him out on it in the blogosphere.

Gonzalez just pisses me off. I was on his bandwagon for him to get a look by Jurgen, but he has just consistently gotten worse and worse (can't marshall his box, gets beat in the air, etc.) to the point I do not see the point why he even gets called in over a guy like Ream who can cover LB/CB/DM and has done everything right for Bolton this season.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Tue May 13, 2014 10:21 am

Where are Lichaj and Onyewu?
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Xifio Tue May 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Von Trapps! yeah!

a little suprised by EJ being left out of the prelim squad ...

I'd almost argue for Yedlin's inclusion based on pure pace -- or, conversely, based on eliminating potentially being beaten for pure pace by German or Portuguese wingers ... it's not an argument I particularly like, but there it is ...

I guess the pace argument then applies to Joshua Gatt too; TBH, I was half-expecting Klinsmann to give him a look in the "David Odonkor" role ...
Xifio
Xifio
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed May 14, 2014 3:31 am

BusterLfc wrote:Where are Lichaj and Onyewu?

In regards to Onyewu, see his "clutch" performance against Ukraine. He played himself out of the squad. Although if Gonzalez can make the squad, why not?

Lichaj is still injured and got called up late in the qualifying window. He became my favorite at RB with his performances this season, but I think Jurgen highly underrates the Championship given his treatment of Tim Ream and others.

Xifio wrote:Von Trapps! yeah!

a little suprised by EJ being left out of the prelim squad ...

I'd almost argue for Yedlin's inclusion based on pure pace -- or, conversely, based on eliminating potentially being beaten for pure pace by German or Portuguese wingers ... it's not an argument I particularly like, but there it is ...

I guess the pace argument then applies to Joshua Gatt too; TBH, I was half-expecting Klinsmann to give him a look in the "David Odonkor" role ...

Gatt tore his ACL again, so yeah, not very fast at the moment.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Xifio Wed May 14, 2014 3:07 pm

didn't know he had a new injury ... :\
Xifio
Xifio
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Thu May 15, 2014 3:55 am

Yeah, unfortunate, seen him play for the USMNT once and he did a great job. Then tore his ACL and haven't seen him since...
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun May 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Here are just a few thoughts on the USMNT 23-man roster, and I promise not to rant about Landon Donovan, too much…

GOALKEEPERS:
Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS:
LB: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach)
CB: Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)
RB: Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
MIDFIELDERS:
CM: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas),
RM: Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes),
LM: Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Julian Green (Bayern Munich)
FORWARDS:
Jozy Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
There are some very interesting contradictions and implications from this roster.
1.) This team appears to be set-up to populate a 4-4-2 formation.

If you examine the squad (as I have broken it down above), you begin to see a pattern. He has clearly set-up the squad with a 4-4-2 in mind. Klinsmann appears to have chosen two players (a “starter” and a “back-up”) for each role in a 4-4-2, with the potential for both a diamond and flat-four variations. This goes a long way toward explaining his selection process and high-profile decisions.

Klinsmann’s clear delineation between defense, midfield, and forwards seemed an unnecessary clarification for a man who had taken the “easy way out” by selecting a 30-man roster before the preparatory training camp. This distinction not only helps to shed light on the actical approach, but also helps to explain some of the more high-profile decisions.

When viewed in this light, Donovan’s exclusion is somewhat understandable. Klinsmann stated that he saw Donovan as a “striker” and listed him as such when releasing the 30-man roster. The long and short of it is that Donovan is not a better striker (in a 4-4-2) than any of the included players. The likely starters, Altidore and Dempsey, both have far more experience and success playing as true forwards. The harsh reality is that we will likely see the US defending with 9 men behind the ball for long stretches of the group stage. When we do get possession, the goal will be to quickly find the forward outlet (Altidore) and hope he can hold-up play and lay the ball off to the late runner(s), Dempsey and the wide players.

2.) Klinsmann has gone with an odd mix of youth and experience…

I can certainly understand a youth-first policy, especially considering the cruel group the US was drawn into and Klinsmann’s contract extension through the next world cup cycle. It’s possible he sees this as a very public learning experience for the next generation of Us players. There is some serious talent coming through the pipeline, and Klinsmann might just view this as an opportunity to blood that talent at the highest stage. However, that’s not the whole story. He’s also chosen a few “experience” inclusions, such as Wondolowski and Brad Davis. Granted, these players could be very useful inclusions in the squad. But, they seem to contradict his policy on bringing in some of the younger generation. Some of the odd decisions include:
John Brooks over Clarence Goodson
Deandre Yedlin over Brad Evans and Michael Parkhurst
Chris Wondolowski over Terrence Boyd
Brad Davis over Joe Corona

On the whole, it seems like Klinsmann wanted to go with a future-oriented approach, but lost his nerve in several decisions (the Donovan exclusion excepted).

3.) In summary, I’m worried that there is a very small window for the perception-of-success/validation of Klinsmann’s selection. Should the US fail to get out of the group stage, his selections will likely be credited with not having the impact needed, and the question will be raised whether some more-experienced players (e.g. Donovan) would not have helped, even in a squad-role. Should the US somehow escape the group stage, it’s unlikely that the “bubble-players” will be credited. Far more likely, it will be the old stand-bys (Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore, etc.) that are credited with the accomplishment. In reality, one of the “bubble-players”/youth-inclusions needs to have the tournament of his career to validate Klinsmann’s decisions. With this in mind, it’s hard to see why Klinsmann made the decisions he did, as the window for “success” is so small. He has, quite brazenly, staked his reputation to the performances of several young, inconsistent players.

USA USA USA!!! - Page 8 022812-Soccer-Jurgen-Klinsmann-PROJECT-RUNAWAY-JW-PI_20120228174117897_660_320
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Mon May 26, 2014 6:34 pm

I agree, I did not understand some of Jurgen's decisions in terms of squad selection given that he historically he seemed to value above all utility of position.

I personally would not have taken John Brooks or Omar Gonzalez. Instead I would have brought Parkhurst and Goodson. Parkhurst is a superior defender to Brooks/Gonzalez and has the added utility of being able to cover all positions on the back line. Goodson just commands his box better than Gonzalez and is actually capable of winning the aerial duels that Gonzalez was brought in to stop, but never did (though neither is elite at defending the aerial duels).

I still do not understand bringing Wondo, in that he is a poacher by trade, and while he has done well in transition against weaker sides if we put him out there I doubt he will ever see the ball. Eddie Johnson is a douche, but at least he can play the entire front line for us, and I would have preferred his speed coming off the bench at the end of a game.

I always liked Joe Corona and I really have no idea how he didn't make the squad given that he seemed to be good enough and had that little bit extra that could possibly come through and take him to the next level. I always considered him to be our "next" Donovan, but I do not know what happened given that I viewed him much like Mix in that he was just a great utility player.

The selection of Brad Davis does not bother me in that it is a "realistic" selection by Jurgen knowing that the majority of goals in the tournament will be a result of dead ball situations. Davis is good defensively and can deliver a better ball off of set pieces off the left. Obviously there are much better overall players available, but for once Jurgen seemed to be pragmatic in his selection given the realities of tournament football.

I agree Jurgen is setting us up for a 4/4/2 or a very defensive 4/3/3, but if he runs with the 4/4/2 I think we are going to get crushed given that most likely that means he intends to have Dempsey do the one thing he has never done well which is collect the ball in the midfield and be the outlet for transition. If he favored Johannsson in that underneath role I think it could work, but we all know by now Jurgen is not going to bench his captain.

I see us running (4/4/2, functionally more of a 4-4-1-1):
--------Altidore --- Dempsey-------
F. Johnson---Bradley---Jones--Zusi
Beasley---Besler---Cameron-Chandler
-----------Howard------------------

What I would prefer to see (though this only makes me realize more how poor Jurgen's squad selection was, and how weak our LW/LM is going into the World Cup):
-----------Altidore---------------
---Zusi----Dempsey------Mix----
-----------Bradley--------------
-----------Beckerman-----------
Johnson--Besler--Cameron--Chandler
------------Howard----------------
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Tue May 27, 2014 3:17 am

Weak? I think zusi is a great player and really underrated.. Really knows how to play with the team and pass well. Although he is a bit slow
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Wed May 28, 2014 4:40 am

Watching this game there are some players who play great but their are some who just are killing the team chemistry. Its the same players who cant make a 6 yard pass. Defense is solid though
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed May 28, 2014 4:56 am

I thought Michael Bradley could be the number 10 focal point of the mid and offense. But he can't. Just awful there. This is the worst I've seen him play since the gold cup 2011, where he was awful.

Also I don't care what altidores role is or whatever he is awful. I'm tired of hearing how he has to start. If he plays this bad and doesn't score in any of the pre World Cup games then he is a waste of a starting spot
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Wed May 28, 2014 9:55 pm

In regards to Zusi, I don't have an issue with him at all, I love the guy...however outside of some temporary inversions he has never done well on the left side of the pitch for the USMNT. No idea why, but it is just reality.

I am not willing to say that after one bad game that Bradley can't be the focal point, because this was just a WTF game. The pitch was small, the wind was so bad Howard could of launched half field throws, and why the hell did no one have any tactical discipline?

I am not sure exactly what Jurgen was trying to accomplish other than confusing us all with his tactics and selections. I really felt like I was watching a pick up soccer game where instead of playing their specific roles everyone wanted to abandon their spots and be the first one to score a goal. Does Jurgen honestly think even if we run a diamond it would ever occupy a space that high up the pitch?

I am getting more and more tired of Jurgen's shtick, but he better get it right by Ghana.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen Wed May 28, 2014 11:33 pm

Wondo was absolute garbage last night, Johansonn would have had a hat trick if he started
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Thu May 29, 2014 1:02 am

I don't agree that Wondo is garbage. However, I agree, I have no idea why Wondo was brought on for Dempsey when you have a like for like sub available in Johannsson.

Personally, the issue with Altidore and Wondo is that they each do one thing well, but don't offer everything the team needs. You have Altidore who has good hold up play but doesn't offer much else given his current form, and then you have Wondo who runs the channels really well but can't hold up the ball.

I have no idea why Johannsson hasn't gotten a look as the starter given that he is technically gifted and should be able to do both.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen Thu May 29, 2014 1:20 am

Motogp69 wrote:I don't agree that Wondo is garbage. However, I agree, I have no idea why Wondo was brought on for Dempsey when you have a like for like sub available in Johannsson.

Personally, the issue with Altidore and Wondo is that they each do one thing well, but don't offer everything the team needs. You have Altidore who has good hold up play but doesn't offer much else given his current form, and then you have Wondo who runs the channels really well but can't hold up the ball.

I have no idea why Johannsson hasn't gotten a look as the starter given that he is technically gifted and should be able to do both.
I don't understand how he made the team over a far and away more clinical striker than Landon. Unfortunately all of the strikers have to be compared because of the controversy around Landon, but that being said I have never thought that Wondo should have a ticket to Brazil. Adding that with his play yesterday makes it hard for me to view a way that he is anything more than last striker off of the bench, especially since we left better strikers out of the roster.
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu May 29, 2014 1:28 am

Yeah I thought Wondo wasn't too bad. He had chances at least. Sure he botched them.. But at least he had chances that at least looked atleast somewhat dangerous.. Where as altidore did nothing. I'm tired of USA fans saying how anyone with intelligence knows why he gets the auto start but it's all such BS. The wy he plays isn't making anyone around him better. Isn't winning headers, running into space and can't make a clean pass to his striking partner whenever he is able to hold up the ball for a split second before losing it.

Wondo, Johannsson and Dempsey are all way ahead of altidore right now. They've all out performed him for about a year now and it hasn't even been close. Juergen needs to be more consistent with players earning their spots. We can't hand altidore the starting spot just because he has some supposed mythical abilities that no one else possesses
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen Thu May 29, 2014 1:38 am

I don't understand why he and Altidore are in the squad, I though Altidore's disaster of a season with Sunderland would have ruined his WC chances, but I also think Jurgen should have used that game to determine the 23 man roster if it was at all possible to delay naming the 23-man squad.
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 am

Agreed that he should have waited. The only reason he announced it before this game is because he already made the decision to cut Donovan and wanted to dedicate all three games to figuring out team chemistry as is
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen Thu May 29, 2014 1:57 am

VendettaRed07 wrote:Agreed that he should have waited. The only reason he announced it before this game is because he already made the decision to cut Donovan and wanted to dedicate all three games to figuring out team chemistry as is
Quote do post: 1217414
True, I hope the players man up, and that Dempsey's injury doesn't turn into anything major.
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu May 29, 2014 7:46 pm

No way Parkhurst or anyone is better than Gonzalez at CB. The only advantage I see in Parkhurst over OG is his ability to cover positions in the backline but other than that OG beats him everywhere else more or less. Cameron is another I'd pair with Gonzalez at CB. Both ar more or less similar and are Technically apt when they coming out of the box to start play.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Fri May 30, 2014 2:44 am

Parkhurst is the most technically adept defender we have in this player pool. There is a reason he can slot into every position in the back line with ease.

Gonzalez was an absolute stud for the Galaxy and I couldn't wait for him to finally get a chance with the national team. However, since his first cap he has been absolute shit. I literally have no idea how they allow him to put on a national team jersey. He can't command his box, he is flat footed, and can't even win the aerial duels he was brought in to deal with.

So again, how is Gonzalez better than Parkhurst? Never mind that, for *bleep* sake, how is Gonzalez better than Goodson or Brooks?
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:15 am

Goodson is much slower than OG and Brooks is not at OG's level yet. I think Klinsmann finally did some justice putting him on the first team.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum