Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Name Your All Time XI - Page 2 Empty Re: Name Your All Time XI

Post by Albiceleste Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:08 am

Sushi Master wrote:Definitely sexy but I was extremely deceived in that final Sad
I cried Crying or Very sad Ayala No

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:05 pm

No, Ballack was not better than Zidane. But its difficult fidning a formation to fit everyone into and it having a chance of working.

The question for me was Zidane and Rivaldo, and the Brazilian hardly ever wins that battle (which isnt really reflective of their overall abilities) so I went with Rivaldo.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 pm

The Franchise wrote:No, Ballack was not better than Zidane. But its difficult fidning a formation to fit everyone into and it having a chance of working.

The question for me was Zidane and Rivaldo, and the Brazilian hardly ever wins that battle (which isnt really reflective of their overall abilities) so I went with Rivaldo.

Didnt know you rate Ballack that highly.I do too.One of my favorite players ever.Wanted to include him but then our midfield is the best I have ever seen so couldnt change it.

Just one question.Is Messi on the right a good idea?Since he is so much better in the center.
And finally the billion dollar question.Who will the attack be built around?
Messi,Ronaldo,Rivaldo or Ronnie hmm

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kabarca Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:14 pm

_______________kahn______________
___Alves____Puyol__nesta___zambrotta
_____Xavi______Davids_____Scholes__
________Del Pero______Rivaldo_______
_______________Messi______________

Tooke me a while to decide between Cafu and Alves but I finally went with my heart and chose Dani, I would of also have put Iniesta there but I wanted to inculde as less players from the current barca team as I could.
kabarca
kabarca
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:26 pm

I do rate him Alex, he was a great player.

Messi wouldnt be on the right really. It would be like when he plays almost second striker behind Ibra, but Ronaldo and Ibra there is a gulf in movement, class, speed and so on so I see it working. He starts off right of center, but when he looks to receieve the ball and comes center for that, thats when Rivaldo can make a trademark run down the right channel, effectively swapping positions when Messi moves. Rivaldo was very dangerous in that inside right position because he could open himself onto that fantastic left foot of his.

I duno who the attack would be built around. Ronaldo is the most likely to just fit in, in his peak years he didnt involve himself in the play so much and was content in making runs.

Rivaldo and Ronaldinho combined excellently with him for Brazil in 02, it was fanastically free flowing and nobody really "controlled" the attack. That sort of shared team play is what I look for.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:36 pm

This is the kind of movement I have in mind, Messi retriving the ball and charging through the middle and Rivaldo uses the space moving across from center to right.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:42 pm

I tried this and couldn't do it

I could not decided between the likes of Ronaldo/Raul/Baggio/Rivaldo/Buta/Figo/Messi/Seedorf/ADP/Dinho/Becks/Shearer/Cantona/Batitusta

Even more of a mess in midfield with Scholes/Xavi/Makalele/Redondo/Viera/Pirlo

Or Defence? Baresi/Hierro/Sanchis/Maldini/Cannavaro/Nesta/Cafu/Carlos/Cole/Puyol

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:46 pm

I spent at least 10 minutes on each of if Ballack should be in or not, how to configure the midfield, Maldini leftback or centerback lol
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:47 pm

The Franchise wrote:I spent at least 10 minutes on each of if Ballack should be in or not, how to configure the midfield, Maldini leftback or centerback lol

Are we trying to make these teams try and work as well together as possible?

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:06 pm

_LMG_10_ wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Buffon
Alves Thuram Nesta Maldini
Ballack Xavi
Messi
Rivaldo Ronaldino
Ronaldo

Subs: Carlos, Puyol, Schmeichel, Henry, Makelele, Iniesta and Eto'o

I am thinking all our teams will be pretty similar Razz

I can't believe u guys rate ballack higher than Zidane. Or is it that he doesn't fit in the particular formation?

Yep i am trying to fill as many players as possible while mantaining a system that IMO works and Zidane would only work instead of Messi and IMO Messi is better.

It is hard Crim, the amount of players i left out is ridiculous tbh it pained me to leave Shearer out but all bias aside i couldnt in good conscience say he was better then Ronaldo Laughing

BTW i find it funny mine and Dani's is almost identical except he had Carlos instead of Thuram Razz
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:07 pm

--------------Casillas
------Nesta---Hyypia---Maldini
Cafu----------Makelele----------Carlos
---------Redondo----Pirlo
---------------Zidane
---------------Ronaldo

My attempt at not my very favourite players but a team that will work I think

Cafu and Carlos providing the width and pace of the team but also able to contribute in defence

Nesta, Maldini and Hyypia the heart of the defence with Hyypia's height greatly helping in defence or attack of set pieces.

Makelele in his own role protecting the back three even further (not that they need it) and cleaning up all the mess while not giving up the ball.

Two superb players on the ball in Pirlo and Redondo able to take the game up the pitch in support of Zidane and Ronaldo.

Zidane to do as he does best with the room to do it and Ronaldo to finish everything he receives.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Crimson wrote:
The Franchise wrote:I spent at least 10 minutes on each of if Ballack should be in or not, how to configure the midfield, Maldini leftback or centerback lol

Are we trying to make these teams try and work as well together as possible?

Yeah, the best mix of best players plus it having some realistic chance of working on the pitch. Well, thats how I do these things anyway.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:15 pm

Indeed Mole, great minds lol

Crim, very solid and realistic team. Only question is, if Ronaldo doesnt score, does anyone?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:16 pm

The Franchise wrote:Indeed Mole, great minds lol

Crim, very solid and realistic team. Only question is, if Ronaldo doesnt score, does anyone?

haha prob not O.O

But then again neither does the other team muahahahahaha

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:58 pm

The Franchise wrote:I do rate him Alex, he was a great player.

Messi wouldnt be on the right really. It would be like when he plays almost second striker behind Ibra, but Ronaldo and Ibra there is a gulf in movement, class, speed and so on so I see it working. He starts off right of center, but when he looks to receieve the ball and comes center for that, thats when Rivaldo can make a trademark run down the right channel, effectively swapping positions when Messi moves. Rivaldo was very dangerous in that inside right position because he could open himself onto that fantastic left foot of his.

I duno who the attack would be built around. Ronaldo is the most likely to just fit in, in his peak years he didnt involve himself in the play so much and was content in making runs.

Rivaldo and Ronaldinho combined excellently with him for Brazil in 02, it was fanastically free flowing and nobody really "controlled" the attack. That sort of shared team play is what I look for.

Not letting you off dani.Who will be THE MAN in attack?
Time for dani on the spot. Thumbs up

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Crimson wrote:--------------Casillas
---------------Zidane
---------------Ronaldo

Cafu and Carlos providing the width and pace of the team but also able to contribute in defence

Nesta, Maldini and Hyypia the heart of the defence with Hyypia's height greatly helping in defence or attack of set pieces.

Makelele in his own role protecting the back three even further (not that they need it) and cleaning up all the mess while not giving up the ball.

Two superb players on the ball in Pirlo and Redondo able to take the game up the pitch in support of Zidane and Ronaldo.

Zidane to do as he does best with the room to do it and Ronaldo to finish everything he receives.

You really like your 3-5-2,dont you?
JJust one question.
What happens say if a team like Barca presses right up.
Your fullbacks will be forced to drop deep and defend.And they will be pinned in there.
The lack of width other than the fullbacks means that the game will be played in your half.
And with just Ronaldo upfront the counter attacking option too is not that great.
How do you plan to solve that?

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Buffon
Zanetti Costacurta Nesta Maldini
Busquets
Xavi Pirlo
Messi
Ronaldo Henry
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:17 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
---------------Zidane
---------------Ronaldo

JJust one question.
Your fullbacks will be forced to drop deep and defend.And they will be pinned in there.
The lack of width other than the fullbacks means that the game will be played in your half.
And with just Ronaldo upfront the counter attacking option too is not that great.

Yeah I love defensive football

Even for a team like Barcelona I don't see Pirlo/Redondo and Make being pinned in their own half. They are some of the hardest people to get the ball off and some of the best for recovering it as well, so even if the WB's are pinned down the outlet in the middle is still open especially with Zidane who was notorious for coming deep.

So even if width isn't an option straight down the middle will work, now in saying that if the midfield recovers then the wb's just have to run down the line to receive a diagonal pass and then pass straight back in.

Think the way Ronaldo smacked Man Utd about in 2003, alot of the passes were from very deep. So that option I see is still widely available as well.

The ability to be able to hit on the counter I think is alot more dangerous than it seems with my team.

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Crimson wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
---------------Zidane
---------------Ronaldo

JJust one question.

Even for a team like Barcelona I don't see Pirlo/Redondo and Make being pinned in their own half. They are some of the hardest people to get the ball off and some of the best for recovering it as well, so even if the WB's are pinned down the outlet in the middle is still open especially with Zidane who was notorious for coming deep.

So even if width isn't an option straight down the middle will work, now in saying that if the midfield recovers then the wb's just have to run down the line to receive a diagonal pass and then pass straight back in.

Think the way Ronaldo smacked Man Utd about in 2003, alot of the passes were from very deep. So that option I see is still widely available as well.

The ability to be able to hit on the counter I think is alot more dangerous than it seems with my team.

Interesting reply.Lets continue the discussion.
I am talking about the hypothetical scenario if your team faces this Barca team.
Pirlo and Reedondo are excellent at keeping the ball but I still think we will dominate possession comfortably and here is why.
Valencia are the team who average the most possession against and the reason they do so is because they press relentlessly from the front.
Now here in lies the problem with your team.
There is no one to press from the front.Theres just Ronaldo and he wont be able to do much.Even if count ZZidane still its just 2 and wont work.
Your fullbacks wont come up and press cause that will leave you exposed at the back.
Say one of Redondo or Pirlo comes in to press,we pass it around at the back and then play it in to Xavi or Iniesta leaving you outnumbered in midfield.
So your team doesnt press and we build comfortably from the back.
Now you say that Zidane willl drop back once the ball is in midfield.
Now that creates another problem.It will mean just Ronaldo up top and he will be easily outnumbered.So Zidane will have to stay up.
That means our midfield plus Alves and Messi against your midfield.
And our midfield will win that battle.

Now if suppose you win the ball and the WB's spring.Your midfield passes a diagonal ball and they in turn cross it back in.
Since you are basically playing with Ronaldo up top,dont think it would be an effective option.
Since Zidane has dropped deep,he wont make it in the box in time.
It will be our defenders plus Busquets against Ronaldo.

Dont get me wrong.I think yours is a terrific team.Your team will dominate possession against every other team and so the wingbacks can comfortably jjoin in and provide width.Zidane will be closer to Ronaldo who in turn wont be isolated.
But against this Barca,your team wont see much possession and will be troubled because of the factors I mentioned above.
I will suggest playing Messi instead of Zidane.The combination of Messi and Ronaldo will prove much more of a threat in a counter attack than a Zidane and Ronaldo combination.
If you play Messi I would say your team stands more of a chance against this Barca.
Its just my opinion.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:55 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
Crimson wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:
---------------Zidane
---------------Ronaldo

JJust one question.

Interesting reply.Lets continue the discussion.
I am talking about the hypothetical scenario if your team faces this Barca team.
Pirlo and Reedondo are excellent at keeping the ball but I still think we will dominate possession comfortably and here is why.
Valencia are the team who average the most possession against and the reason they do so is because they press relentlessly from the front.
Now here in lies the problem with your team.
There is no one to press from the front.Theres just Ronaldo and he wont be able to do much.Even if count ZZidane still its just 2 and wont work.
Your fullbacks wont come up and press cause that will leave you exposed at the back.
Say one of Redondo or Pirlo comes in to press,we pass it around at the back and then play it in to Xavi or Iniesta leaving you outnumbered in midfield.
So your team doesnt press and we build comfortably from the back.
Now you say that Zidane willl drop back once the ball is in midfield.
Now that creates another problem.It will mean just Ronaldo up top and he will be easily outnumbered.So Zidane will have to stay up.
That means our midfield plus Alves and Messi against your midfield.
And our midfield will win that battle.

Now if suppose you win the ball and the WB's spring.Your midfield passes a diagonal ball and they in turn cross it back in.
Since you are basically playing with Ronaldo up top,dont think it would be an effective option.
Since Zidane has dropped deep,he wont make it in the box in time.
It will be our defenders plus Busquets against Ronaldo.

Dont get me wrong.I think yours is a terrific team.Your team will dominate possession against every other team and so the wingbacks can comfortably jjoin in and provide width.Zidane will be closer to Ronaldo who in turn wont be isolated.
But against this Barca,your team wont see much possession and will be troubled because of the factors I mentioned above.
I will suggest playing Messi instead of Zidane.The combination of Messi and Ronaldo will prove much more of a threat in a counter attack than a Zidane and Ronaldo combination.
If you play Messi I would say your team stands more of a chance against this Barca.
Its just my opinion.

Well thats your opinion

I think Makelele and Redondo can disrupt the play of Xavi and Iniesta enough to cause more than enough problems for this current Barcelona

If I was the coach I would tell the team to press until your back in your defensive half then allow you that space and that possession. The thing with my team is that every player can play deep and every player is excellent at bringing the ball from deep into attack even Ronaldo (well everyone knows that) and while I think Messi is excellent I think Zidane is much better at controlling the tempo of a game which is what I want.

Now with that in mind back to this Barce pinning my WB's back, if Di Maria can cause troubles for Alves I have no doubt in my mind that Carlos could and as for Abidal on the other side I've seen Marcelo have some impressive performances on that side on the attack, but this isn't Marcelo this is Cafu a much more dynamic and complete player. I am not worried about our WBs being caught out of position with Make and my 3 CB's.

The ability to win the ball back and bring it forward as a team with either Zidane/Redondo/Ronaldo or the two never stop running WBs will cause more than enough trouble even if we are giving up more of the ball to Barcelona. Not to mention the pin point passing of Pirlo/Zidane and Redondo to Ronaldo running from deep.

I have seen Barcelona more than enough times get caught out at the back and the holes they leave behind coming forward to think that this team would have more than a chance at exploiting that

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:25 pm

It's great to see so many replies. Thanks to all who posted.

BTW it of course includes those players who you have seen on TV. I couldn't have made this thread otherwise since I have never seen a football game live in a stadium. Sad

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
---------------Zidane
---------------Ronaldo

JJust one question.

How would you press right up against that lineup?

If you use the wide players to pin back the wingbacks you'd still be left with 1 or 2 players trying to close down 3 centerbacks? Unless you would push another midfield forward and leave yourself at a numerical disadvantage in midfield?
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:32 pm

billy_gr wrote:All at their prime

Buffon
Thuram, Puyol, Nesta, Maldini

Davids, Makelele, Xavi

Messi Henry Ronaldinho

amazing I've made the 11 before reading yours... not far away huh?

True but I am a little surprised at your use of two DMs.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next