Pirlo fan: Xavi and Pirlo are both great, but Pirlo is better
Xavi fan: Xavi and Pirlo are both great, but Xavi is better

PHASE III
Pirlo fan: Pirlo is the best by far, Xavi is crap
Xavi fan: Xavi is the best by far, Pirlo is crap

-

-

-

All I have to say is that it's such a shame it had to come to this childish bickering, let's just all agree Xavi is better and move on. :coffee:

I strongly disagree with you
You have changed my mind, Pirlo is better

touche drinking

billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Pirlo - Page 12 Empty Re: Xavi vs Pirlo

Post by alexjanosik Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Diego Armando Maradona wrote:Hmm, much as i like iniesta i'd seriously question whether he's better than giresse, i really doubt hes "significantly" better. I doubt xavi a whole lot better than him either, if it all. As for messi and platini, whilst messi may end up a better player overall, id rather have platini in midfield as his passing was simply on another level. Tigana and fernandez may not get in, but tigana in particular was still an excellent player

what i like about that french midfield is its diversity, it has tigerish determination at its base with tigana and fernandez, a little midfield maestro in the xavi mould with giresse, and a pure visionary with platini who is probably in the top 5 best passers of football history. The barcelona midfield has much less range, and only slightly better at ball retention

And what you say about the brazil 82 midfield is pure speculation. Any proof or evidence to back up your claims that they would be chasing shadows? i doubt it

The question is not about which midfield you think has more diversity and which midfield you like more consequently.The question is which midfield is the best.
Secondly what do you mean when you say the Barca midfield has much less range?I hope you mean they have less diversity.
Cause if you mean passing range,you couldnt be more wrong.Each of the Barca quartet is an elite passer and any pass anyone in the French midfield could make,the Barca midfield can make just as well if not better.And barring Platini,the Barca quartet are player for player clearly better passers.
When it comes to Platini Xavi has proved that he is his equal(imo Xavi is a better passer than Platini but lets not go there).
you say that the Barca midfield is only slightly better at ball retention.Again far from the truth.I have seen matches of the French NT from the 84 Euro and I dont recall them dominating possession 70% in every single game.Nowhere close.And they also didnt have to deal with the kind of pressing the Barca midfield does.The Barca midfield sometimes has to deal with relentless pressing and they manage possession upwards of 60%.
Dont think the French midfield would have been able to do the same under relentless pressing.

On the Brazil trio,I will my reasons why I think they will be chasing shadows.
Firstly I have watched Brazil matches from the 82 WC and the pressing was non existent.In short Falcao and Scocrates had complete freedom and space in the midfield and final third to pass it around as they pleased.
I can only imagine the massacre Xavi,Iniesta and Busquets would cause if provided such freedom and space.
The Barca trio manage to do what they do against far more compact,discliplined midfields who sometimes hound them mercilessly on the ball.The Brazil trio(based on what I saw in the 82 WC) didnt have to face this.
My second reason is to do with what the respective midfields do off the ball.
When the Barca midfield lose the ball,they work as a team to get the ball back.They close down space,hound the opposition player as a team and win the ball back within seconds.The Brazil midfield didnt have this quality.
Falcao,Socrates and Zico were elite players but didnt have anywhere near the same work ethic and collective disclipline without the ball.So if they lose the ball they would take far more time to win it back than the Barca midfield.
For the above 2 reasons(and others) I believe the Brazil midfield would be chasing shadows all game long.I see the Barca midfield enjoying possession upwards of 65%.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotes Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:30 am

Poor Vagi...
haven't been able to give a single assist little more a goal & is now being subbed off for playing badly vs Portugal...
Cotes
Cotes
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:40 am

Spain played better when Xavi came off lolololol
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 am

that's true... although I feel that it was due toPortugal getting tired to be fair...
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:08 am

billy_gr wrote:that's true... although I feel that it was due toPortugal getting tired to be fair...

Yeah I just wanted to say that because I might not get another chance to Razz
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:13 am

i hate you.... eco smile
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:42 am

Alonso seemed to be bumping into Xavi and Busquests and Xavi had to cover for him at points and had more pressure on him building play. He played well though not excellent...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RQ12 Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:23 pm

There are:
Midfielder - Xavi, Busquest, Ozil, Sneijder etc
Sublime Midfielder - Iniesta, Nedved
Greatest Midfielder - Zidane
Then there is - Pirlo, that is all.

RQ12
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:31 pm

After this final, someone should do a collection of ownages in this thread. Very Happy
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:39 pm

free_cat wrote:After this final, someone should do a collection of ownages in this thread. Very Happy

:facepalm: One game riddled with incredibly stupid mistakes from Prandelli and playing with a man down. The odds were stacked against Pirlo from the start.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:42 pm

7amood11 wrote:
free_cat wrote:After this final, someone should do a collection of ownages in this thread. Very Happy

:facepalm: One game riddled with incredibly stupid mistakes from Prandelli and playing with a man down. The odds were stacked against Pirlo from the start.

Whatever the reason man, Pirlo was nowhere at Xavi's level. And I'm no neutral: I was supporting Italy.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:47 pm

This game doesnt change my mind whatsover. For me Xav is the superior of the two but that doesnt change that, imo, Pirlo is close..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:48 pm

lool pirlo didnt get outclassed, but come on xavi is just a better players than pirlo, even though they are both great. xavi is like pirlo on steroids, he is so quick on the ball its amazing.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:49 pm

In this game Pirlo did get outclassed, that was there for everyone to see....

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm

free_cat wrote:
7amood11 wrote:

Whatever the reason man, Pirlo was nowhere at Xavi's level. And I'm no neutral: I was supporting Italy.

I agree that Xavi was far better than Pirlo tonight. But when a coach plays with a silly formation and you're a man down, it's hard for anything else to happen.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:02 pm

The formation was ok and it was the formation everyone expected and no one said anything against it before the game (neither you). And before Italy was reduced to 10 men, Xavi was much better than Pirlo too.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MrDeeds Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:07 pm

free_cat wrote:
7amood11 wrote:

You mean on the final? when Italy had the ball when they were 11?

Besides, Pirlo's Euro still shits on Xavi's.

MrDeeds
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 pm

are we done judging from just one turnament?
both sides?

please...
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:39 pm

The fact that we have to deal every single Clasico with Xavi-Iniesta midfield partnership deserves a trophy on its own :bow:
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:06 pm

Irish_Catalan_Scouser wrote:Xavi for me although Pirlo is also a proper BOSS
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:58 am

What a performance from Xavi.MOM by a country mile.
And it was even more impressive considering that he was doing 2 jobs.
Notice how he was always shielding Pirlo from receving the ball.Whenever the defender had the ball he would shield Pirlo from receiving the ball.He even asked Fab to the do the same on a few occasions.This meant that Pirlo had to drop to the defensive line to get the ball and he was utterly useless.
Xavi was also the go to man in midfield.Notice how the 2 times players made a run,he picked them out.Thats what he has been missing all tournament.Still an immense performance.One of the greatest big game players of all time.Every single time a final or big game comes around Xavi steps up.
Atleast a couple of levels above Pirlo and this game proved that.Completely kept Pirlo in his pocket and dominated the game too.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Xavi faced Pirlo twice in Euro2012... In both matches, he was the better player #enoughsaid (athough Xavi is not playing in his favorite position)
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by buddytaller Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Pirlo is still the better player, he didn't have his best game yesterday, but if the two players were to switch sides ie. Xavi in Italy and Pirlo in Spain, I'm sure Pirlo would have had the Man of the match award.

All in all I think Pirlo had the better tournament of the two, he guided an inferior Italy squad to the finals, putting in some exhilarating performances along the way.

Xavi was disappointing till the final game, he was particularly poor against Portugal, his game moved up a notch in the final when he decided not to go for the safe back and sideways passes but instead went for the killer through passes.
buddytaller
buddytaller
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Eivindo Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:54 pm

this thread is such a lol, all barca and spain fan boys will say the obvious thing, and vice versa. Why the insane need to compare different players? I get it, to trollollo.

Once can rarely compare to different players properly, cause they play for different teams with different formations with different strengths. Why not just enjoy great players!
Eivindo
Eivindo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:13 pm

alexjanosik wrote:What a performance from Xavi.MOM by a country mile.
And it was even more impressive considering that he was doing 2 jobs.
Notice how he was always shielding Pirlo from receving the ball.Whenever the defender had the ball he would shield Pirlo from receiving the ball.He even asked Fab to the do the same on a few occasions.This meant that Pirlo had to drop to the defensive line to get the ball and he was utterly useless.
Xavi was also the go to man in midfield.Notice how the 2 times players made a run,he picked them out.Thats what he has been missing all tournament.Still an immense performance.One of the greatest big game players of all time.Every single time a final or big game comes around Xavi steps up.
Atleast a couple of levels above Pirlo and this game proved that.Completely kept Pirlo in his pocket and dominated the game too.

He only pressed Pirlo deep once yet Pirlo's job was to play deep as it is in the 4132. And no he wasn't dominated as before the injury of Motta he did all he could to distribute the play yet sadly this formation an fatigue had taken the toll on the players. Very very similar things have happened to Xavi as well along with the fact that it's incredibly easily to dominate a demotivated and fatigued italia down to 10 men.

Iniesta was MOTM and had more influence.

Khaled wrote:Xavi faced Pirlo twice in Euro2012... In both matches, he was the better player #enoughsaid (athough Xavi is not playing in his favorite position)

Is every post of yours this bad? Laughing

#Fail
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down