justdoit_
Lex
donttreadonred
beatrixasdfghjk.
Neutral
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

arsenal close to first trophy in 7 years  Empty arsenal close to first trophy in 7 years

Post by Neutral Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 am

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/02/20/2916970/arsenal-finishing-fourth-is-like-winning-a-trophy-says

Neutral
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

arsenal close to first trophy in 7 years  Empty Re: arsenal close to first trophy in 7 years

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:53 am

Neutral wrote:http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/02/20/2916970/arsenal-finishing-fourth-is-like-winning-a-trophy-says
..:facepalm:.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

arsenal close to first trophy in 7 years  Empty Re: arsenal close to first trophy in 7 years

Post by donttreadonred Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:22 pm

4th place will certainly be an achievement for whichever team gets it. It will be a "victory." However, to compare to winning a trophy is asinine. To compare it to winning a trophy for Arsenal, who will most likely stretch their 6-year trophyless run to 7, is laughable and patronizing to Arsenal supporters.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:26 pm

met·a·phor/ˈmetəˌfôr/
Noun:

~ A figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

~ A thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, esp. something abstract.
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Lex wrote:met·a·phor/ˈmetəˌfôr/
Noun:

~ A figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

~ A thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, esp. something abstract.

So that's how english works. cheers

I guess my years of higher education have utterly failed me.

That doesn't make it any less asinine. Besides, I would think that would be a particular poor comparison for Wenger to use.

BTW, it's not a metaphor. It's a simile.

sim·i·le   [sim-uh-lee]
noun
Definition of SIMILE
: a figure of speech comparing two unlike things that is often introduced by like or as (as in cheeks like roses) — compare metaphor

Examples of SIMILE
“She's as fierce as a tiger” is a simile, but “She's a tiger when she's angry” is a metaphor.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutral Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Noun:

i expected people to actually to read the article first because i know that goal.com manipulates people's quotes for a more interesting headline. ok what he actually said was "The first trophy is to finish in the top four". i still think its funny because he's speaking about winning a trophy.

Neutral
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Emirates Cup?
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Don't know why Arsenal fans neg repped Neutral, when they should be neg repping Wenger or even themselves, for being fooled so long for the french senile-loser.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:00 pm

I think he's the one person who follow's Arsenal who's actually being reasonable. The team they have was never good enough to win anything and many people (including me) have been saying that since before the season.

4th would be a big accomplishment for them especially at the expense of Chelsea.

I mean I see these people wanting to fire Wenger and wondering why there not wining trophies etc and it just blows my mind. There team isn't good enough, it's a really simple thing grasp.

The one thing I will say about Wenger is he needs to stop talking about injuries. This happens every year to Arsenal when will he stop acting like this is some huge surprise and get his training staff fixed?
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:13 pm

free_cat wrote:Don't know why Arsenal fans neg repped Neutral, when they should be neg repping Wenger or even themselves, for being fooled so long for the french senile-loser.

Do us a favour and stick with barcelona ? You don't know anything about Arsenal, or whats happening in the club.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Neutral wrote:
Noun:

i expected people to actually to read the article first because i know that goal.com manipulates people's quotes for a more interesting headline. ok what he actually said was "The first trophy is to finish in the top four". i still think its funny because he's speaking about winning a trophy.

whats funny about it ?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:15 pm

dnmac4 wrote:I think he's the one person who follow's Arsenal who's actually being reasonable. The team they have was never good enough to win anything and many people (including me) have been saying that since before the season.

4th would be a big accomplishment for them especially at the expense of Chelsea.

I mean I see these people wanting to fire Wenger and wondering why there not wining trophies etc and it just blows my mind. There team isn't good enough, it's a really simple thing grasp.

The one thing I will say about Wenger is he needs to stop talking about injuries. This happens every year to Arsenal when will he stop acting like this is some huge surprise and get his training staff fixed?

+1
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:16 pm

"Finizhing zecónd iz better zan a trophie"
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 pm

2nd is better than the FA or Carling cup lol

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 pm

That simile is just a cushion to soften the blow.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:35 pm

we are still going to win cl this season, we will beat AC 5-0 at the emirates.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Finishing 4th is as good as wining the FA cup, and Carling cup. With the team we have and the way we started the season its a miracle we are competing for 4th spot. :coffee:

Thank god Chelsea and Liverpool have been poor this season, or 4th place would have been out of our reach.. cheers

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:41 pm

REWB wrote:we are still going to win cl this season, we will beat AC 5-0 at the emirates.

A man can dream.

Btw, this thread asks for a revival of this song:
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 pm

REWB wrote:we are still going to win cl this season, we will beat AC 5-0 at the emirates.

LOL, We would be lucky if Milan dont score 5 goals this time. eco smile arsenal close to first trophy in 7 years  2276801876 eco smile
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 pm

The feeling when your captain lifts a trophy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm

The Franchise wrote:2nd is better than the FA or Carling cup lol

I reckon that LOL
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:03 pm

:facepalm:
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Financially it's better to finish in CL places than to win a domestic cup, but glory-wise winning a domestic cup is better, imo, than finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th in your league.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Winning FA cup may be but carling cup frankly is a reserve's cup..
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Adit wrote:Winning FA cup may be but carling cup frankly is a reserve's cup..

You underestimate what winning trophies can do it a team's morale.

Remember Arsenal last season ?

Not saying it because Liverpool are in the final, but if we win next weekend, I will celebrate it more than our amazing 08-09 team which finished trophiless.

also as Garry Neville says: "being on the podium and running around a stadium with medals hanging from your neck is a drug"

Success breads success.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2041439/Gary-Neville-Dont-knock-Carling-Cup-lead-great-success.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next