34 posters

Page 4 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Go down

Maths- Gym for Brainiacs  - Page 4 Empty Re: Maths- Gym for Brainiacs

Post by Lord Hades Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Kamina wrote:
Lord Hades wrote:
Kamina wrote:Next question, goallegacy troll edition eco smile

Once upon the time, GL had 200 members to start off with. Among them were trolls and non trolls. Trolls, if asked whether they are one, they never said the truth eco smile Non trolls, of course, always stated the truth. Seeing each other posting everyday, all the 200 knew among themselves who is a troll and who isn't eco smile
Redoranje tried to find out how many trolls were present in those days. He made a survey:

1.) He asked, "how many trolls are in GL?", the first one answered " there's at least one troll in GL", the second one said " there're at least 2 trolls in GL" and so on, the last one said " there're at least 200 trolls in GL"...
How many trolls did Redoranje find with his survey? eco smile
(junior high level)

2). Redoranje wasn't satisfied with his first survey. He started a new one with the question " how many trolls are exactly present in GL?"
Again, the first one answered " there's exactly one troll in GL", the second " there're exactly 2 trolls in GL" and so on, the 200th said " there're exactly 200 trolls in GL" eco smile
What were Redoranje's results from his improved survey? eco smile
( logic question, everyone who could count up to 200 is able to answer theoretically)

Lord Hades, if you know the answer, PM me
eco smile

if trolls were asked that were they trolls they would lie right? but redoranje just asked them how many troll are there . so they would also speak the truth right? so the last one said there at least 200 trolls in gl .. assuming that he is speaking the truth 200 is the right answer since ther arent more than 200 members? for the first question?
No Very Happy To which question do you refer, to the first or second one? eco smile Your assumption should be, there's at least one troll and one non troll. This way, you can't get 200 trolls even if you wanted to eco smile

was referring to the first question..

Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:58 am

Lord Hades wrote:

was referring to the first question..
You no solve anything? eco smile The answer is really easy, you don't need complex statistical data, just common sense eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Kamina wrote:
halamadrid2 wrote:wow i just found this thread and i love maths

However, This is friggin statistics i hate that... give me pure maths and ill do it

ill guess for the first one you gonna have to use 0.5 somewhere since there are only two outcomes troll and non-trolls and the maximum number of posters are 200... i think this will help you solve it

For you,
F(t)=36*e^t /(1+e^t) is a function which describes the bread area mildew covers in time t (t in days).
When does the mildew spread the fastest?
(senior high level)

Post answer and why eco smile

fastest means t(time) has to be infinity

so if t is infinity e^t has to be 1

so 36(1)/1+(1)=18

F(t)=18
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:55 pm

halamadrid2 wrote:
Kamina wrote:

However, This is friggin statistics i hate that... give me pure maths and ill do it

ill guess for the first one you gonna have to use 0.5 somewhere since there are only two outcomes troll and non-trolls and the maximum number of posters are 200... i think this will help you solve it

For you,
F(t)=36*e^t /(1+e^t) is a function which describes the bread area mildew covers in time t (t in days).
(senior high level)

so 36(1)/1+(1)=18

F(t)=18
Right approach and right answer but I didn't ask for that eco smile The question was WHEN does the mildew spread the fastest and not how much of bread area it will cover? eco smile
You're very close to the answer eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:26 am

Kamina wrote:
halamadrid2 wrote:
Kamina wrote:

For you,
(senior high level)

so 36(1)/1+(1)=18

F(t)=18
Right approach and right answer but I didn't ask for that eco smile The question was WHEN does the mildew spread the fastest and not how much of bread area it will cover? eco smile

after 15 seconds?

edit: right at the start, 0 seconds it has the fastest spread rate then it decelerates.
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:59 am

Kamina wrote:Next question:

Franchise , alexjanosik and friends from Farca section meet RM section in a goallegacy brawl eco smile
Franchise says to Jack Daniels: Come over to us and we'll overwelm them with doubled number of posters.
Jack Daniles answers to Franchise: Come over to our side, this way each side will have equal number of posters. The discussion will be active and balanced=> what the forum needs eco smile

The question, how many posters participate in the GL brawl from Farca and Real Madrid section? eco smile

P.S. junior high level eco smile

Again, answer and justify why eco smile

Dani;s group = 7.

JD's group = 5.

x+1 = 2(y-1)
x-1 = y+1

Solve the two equations. Very Happy
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:18 am

Once upon the time, GL had 200 members to start off with. Among them were trolls and non trolls. Trolls, if asked whether they are one, they never said the truth eco smile Non trolls, of course, always stated the truth. Seeing each other posting everyday, all the 200 knew among themselves who is a troll and who isn't eco smile
Redoranje tried to find out how many trolls were present in those days. He made a survey:

1.) He asked, "how many trolls are in GL?", the first one answered " there's at least one troll in GL", the second one said " there're at least 2 trolls in GL" and so on, the last one said " there're at least 200 trolls in GL"...
(junior high level)

2). Redoranje wasn't satisfied with his first survey. He started a new one with the question " how many trolls are exactly present in GL?"
Again, the first one answered " there's exactly one troll in GL", the second " there're exactly 2 trolls in GL" and so on, the 200th said " there're exactly 200 trolls in GL" eco smile
( logic question, everyone who could count up to 200 is able to answer theoretically)

eco smile

Is the first survey 100 trolls and the second survey 199 trolls?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:21 am

kiranr wrote:

(junior high level)

eco smile

Is the first survey 100 trolls and the second survey 199 trolls?
Right on but you didn't explain the solution so the answer is incomplete eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:22 am

spanky489 wrote:
Kamina wrote:
halamadrid2 wrote:
Kamina wrote:

For you,
(senior high level)

so 36(1)/1+(1)=18

F(t)=18

after 15 seconds?

edit: right at the start, 0 seconds it has the fastest spread rate then it decelerates.
Right answer but where is the solution? eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:23 am

Unsolved mystery:

What's between mountain and valley?

requirements: none eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:35 am

Kamina wrote:

For you,
(senior high level)

Question for everybody except LH and Halamadrid2:

When the first derivative of the function = 0. That is when the mildew will spread the fastest.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:55 am

Kamina wrote:
Right on but you didn't explain the solution so the answer is incomplete eco smile

Wanted to make sure i had the answer right first Very Happy

Should be solved by induction.

In the first survey, take 2 posters.

There is alteast 1 troll and 1 non troll. Trolls will always lie and non trolls will never lie.

By those conditions, the second poster is lying and hence is a troll, which makes the first one a non troll.

Then take 3 posters. The 3rd poster is lying which makes him a troll. Hence the first poster is speaking the truth and is a non troll. The second one says there are atleast 2 trolls. We already know first is not a troll and the third is a troll which means the second one is either counting himself or the first one. We already know the first one is not a troll and the second one if a troll will never say he is a troll. Hence his statement is also a lie and has to be a troll. Hence there are two trolls and 1 non troll.

If you then take 4 posters, the last one is a troll which makes the first one a non troll. Then you take the third poster who says there are atleast 3 trolls which means he is counting himself too as we already know the first is not a troll. But as per the condition, this is not possible, hence he is lying and is a troll. This makes the second one a non troll.

Follow this logic for 200 and you get 100.

The second survey is more complicated. The last one is always lying anyway, so he is troll. By induction, if you take 3 posters, the first one might be saying the truth, which makes the second one's statement false and hence a troll which inturn makes the first one's statement false and a troll. So as the first one and the third one are trolls, the second one is a non troll.

If you take four posters, then the fourth will always be a troll. If the first one is saying the truth, then second one and the third must be lying which makes the first one's statement false and hence is a troll. If the second one is stating the truth, the third one must be lying and hence a troll which inturn makes the second poster's statement a lie and hence a troll. That leaves the third poster's statement to be the truth.

Follow this logic to 200 and you get 199.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:07 am

Kamina wrote:
spanky489 wrote:
after 15 seconds?

Right answer but where is the solution? eco smile

Spanky is right. When the first derivative = 1 and not 0, the mildew spread will be the fastest. Scratch my earlier answer. Smile
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:09 am

Well done with the first two questions Thumbs up We have our very own indian eco smile

Question for everybody:

Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:44 am

A little bit geometry eco smile
Maths- Gym for Brainiacs  - Page 4 Rtsely
You're given a square. One side is divided into 3 even pieces and the other in 4 ( see in the pic, viva MS Paint eco smile). If you connect two ends like in the pic, you'll get a plane angle. The question, what angle is it? eco smile

requirements: junior high school
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:00 am

Kamina wrote:A little bit geometry eco smile
You're given a square. One side is divided into 3 even pieces and the other in 4 ( see in the pic, viva MS Paint eco smile). If you connect two ends like in the pic, you'll get a plane angle. The question, what angle is it? eco smile

Great drawing Very Happy

kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:02 am

Kamina wrote:Well done with the first two questions Thumbs up We have our very own indian eco smile

Question for everybody:

What is the answer/solution for the question you asked Hala?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:16 am

kiranr wrote:
Kamina wrote:Well done with the first two questions Thumbs up We have our very own indian eco smile

Question for everybody:

What is the answer/solution for the question you asked Hala?
Complete answer? You have to find the first derivative and equal it to zero:
F(t)=36*e^t /(1+e^t)

f(t)= (36*e^t*(1+e^t)-36*e^t*e^t)/(1+e^t)²=36e^t*(1+e^t-e^t)/(1+e^t)²=36e^t/(1+e^t)²
As you see the first derivative can't possibly be zero at any point given. You have to prove that the derivative is steadily decreasing by looking at limis t-> infinity. You'll get 0 which means in return that the starting point was the time when the mildew spread the fastest, t=0 eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:34 pm

Kamina wrote:
halamadrid2 wrote:
Kamina wrote:

For you,
(senior high level)

so 36(1)/1+(1)=18

F(t)=18

ohh ok, understood it wrong blasphemy...anyways spanky solved it before me

in that next one does it mean what angle as in 90, 180, 360 etc???
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:49 pm

ok i am not very good with this...

that top triangle has two equal division... i.e. its a right angle therefore the top corner is 90 degrees

the bottom one is a right angle as well so it has 90 degrees angle on the bottom hand corner

since the top triangle is double the size of the bottom triangle the the angle on the left side of alfa has to be double that of the right but still less that the middle

so if you equal the left hand 30 and the right hand 15....90-45=45 therefore alfa has to be 45 degrees... i guess
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:05 pm

halamadrid2 wrote:

that top triangle has two equal division... i.e. its a right angle therefore the top corner is 90 degrees

the bottom one is a right angle as well so it has 90 degrees angle on the bottom hand corner

since the top triangle is double the size of the bottom triangle the the angle on the left side of alfa has to be double that of the right but still less that the middle

so if you equal the left hand 30 and the right hand 15....90-45=45 therefore alfa has to be 45 degrees... i guess
Hala, the worthy disciple eco smile Great job on solving the problem geometrically Thumbs up

A question, do you have any idea how to solve it through calculation? eco smile You don't need to solve it that way but just give a hint how it could be solved through calculation if you get the idea eco smile
For future reference write 90 degree as 90° that way you can avoud writing degree all the time for angles eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:20 pm

Mole visited the thread and was annoyed eco smile

He proposed a question which doesn't require any knowledge in maths:[/color]

Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:09 am

Kamina wrote:
halamadrid2 wrote:

Hala, the worthy disciple eco smile Great job on solving the problem geometrically Thumbs up

A question, do you have any idea how to solve it through calculation? eco smile You don't need to solve it that way but just give a hint how it could be solved through calculation if you get the idea eco smile
For future reference write 90 degree as 90° that way you can avoud writing degree all the time for angles eco smile

pi / 2 - arctg(2/3) - arctg(1/4) = answer = around 43 degrees
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 am

spanky489 wrote:
Kamina wrote:
halamadrid2 wrote:

pi / 2 - arctg(2/3) - arctg(1/4) = answer = around 43 degrees
There's a way to get 45° exactly eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:11 am

Fun and somewhat logical question:

How would a mathematician catch a lion in an instant in a desert if he's got a 4x4 meter cage ? eco smile

requirements: sense of humor and some basic knowledge in maths theorie eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:03 pm

lol i actually dont know babun... was thinking of 1/2 sine something but my mind has just gone blank... could you show us

Kamina wrote:Mole visited the thread and was annoyed eco smile

He proposed a question which doesn't require any knowledge in maths:[/color]

grass i suppose or mud
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down