McLewis
Art Morte
Ganso
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bore off Platini Empty Bore off Platini

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:13 pm

and take this let's give lesser nations a chance to shine in CL crap with you as well.

UCL is the highest calibre of football in club level and it's painful to see teams like Otelul given a straight spot in last 32, or Zagreb, BATE, or Plazen, etc.

That's what EL is for....chuck all those lesser nations team in EL, and give EL winners a CL place for the year after.

Make CL a place for top 8 leagues (PL, La Liga, BL, Calcio, RPL, France, Portugal and Holland)....and increase their participants.

May sound bitter since I am a LFC fan...but I am sure 99% of ppl would prefer a Barca, Milan, Liverpool, PSV group to the current group H

/rant

Back to top Go down

Bore off Platini Empty Re: Bore off Platini

Post by Ganso Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:37 pm

couldn't agree more.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 pm

I disagree, CL shouldn't be elitist. Lesser leagues deserve a chance to get there and their champions deserve the reward of a direct CL spot.

To me it's perfect the way it is, I hope they don't change it one bit.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Art Morte wrote:I disagree, CL shouldn't be elitist. Lesser leagues deserve a chance to get there and their champions deserve the reward of a direct CL spot.

whats the point of getting in CL?getting raped?
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Wouldn't actually be the "Champions" league if only 8 of the 32 teams in the group are actually champions of their respective leagues.

Just sayin'.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:47 pm

Ganso wrote:
Art Morte wrote:I disagree, CL shouldn't be elitist. Lesser leagues deserve a chance to get there and their champions deserve the reward of a direct CL spot.

They are champions of their respective countries. That alone earns them the right to represent that country, for better or worse.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:49 pm

Ganso wrote:

Millions of cash and a helluva lot more exposure to your club? I hadn't heard of Otelul Galati before this season, but am happy to have heard of them now. Plus upsets can happen in football.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:50 pm

McLewis wrote:
Ganso wrote:

They are champions of their respective countries. That alone earns them the right to represent that country, for better or worse.
there is no point on representing their countries though,how many of these weaker teams got past the group stages?its more like a humiliation a la zagreb vs madrid today
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Ganso wrote:
McLewis wrote:
Ganso wrote:

there is no point on representing their countries though,how many of these weaker teams got past the group stages?its more like a humiliation a la zagreb vs madrid today

Irrelevant.

I'll say it again. It's the CHAMPIONS league. These smaller sides are CHAMPIONS of their respective countries.

Doesn't matter how far they get. They have nothing to lose. They know they won't win the title, but they'll still play hard and try for an upset. It's happened before. FC Thun from a few years ago comes to mind. CFR Cluj also upset a few giants as well.

Look at APOEL this year. Thats a great side to watch. They are not hindered by expectations like Porto, whom they've upset just a few weeks ago.

Like I said. This comp is for Champions. Big AND Small.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Completely disagreed. If you want to watch more top league teams just watch the league. Small teams deserve a chance to shine.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:21 pm

I fully agree, if the "It is the CHAMPIONS" argument should be valid all champions should be automatically in the group stages, this is just a 50/50 format atm.
IMO there should be like 4 lesser teams in the competition.
Atm there are Trabzonspor, Otelul, Genk, FC Barcelona, Olympiakos, Bate, Plzen and basically all teams in Group G
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:44 pm

I bet ManUtd will beg to differ that the "small teams" are just there for the raep. Very Happy
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by punkfusion1992 Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:48 pm

lol.... this is so stupid
its better to show the world how good Europe is
why give a team that doesnt deserve a spot
so you are telling me that Liverpool deserve a spot in the UCL over a team that has been top of the league
shouldnt they get a better chance?
Zagreb, Bate, Plzen worked their asses off to reach the group stage show them some respect, cant help if your team cant make it but dont put down the teams that make the champions league unique
punkfusion1992
punkfusion1992
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:52 pm

punkfusion1992 wrote:lol.... this is so stupid
so you are telling me that Liverpool deserve a spot in the UCL over a team that has been top of the league
Zagreb, Bate, Plzen worked their asses off to reach the group stage show them some respect, cant help if your team cant make it but dont put down the teams that make the champions league unique

If by unique you mean teams who lose by double digits every time, I can't see the logic. The team i follow in Denmark are 3 levels above any team other in Denmark, and I find to be aweful that team number 2 in Denmark gets a chance at CL rather than Liverpool, Juventus, Roma or Tottenham Etc.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:55 pm

They should simply get rid of the Champions and League qualification route. If you can't make the final hurdle against the likes of Udinese instead of Sturm Graz then you don't deserve to be in the Champions League. There aren't extra matches, simply a sterner test of their credentials.

Fairytale runs will still exist and teams who deserve to be in this competition will still be there, teams from "lesser" leagues will still make the group stage regularly.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by S32TABLANCA Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Ridiculous.

Just because small countries are not as good as the bigger ones, they are permanently barred from being in the CL. Its the Champions league, the Champs of the smaller countries have more right to be there than the 4th placed of England or whatever. What an elitist point of view.
S32TABLANCA
S32TABLANCA
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by punkfusion1992 Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:58 pm

Freeza wrote:

If by unique you mean teams who lose by double digits every time, I can't see the logic. The team i follow in Denmark are 3 levels above any team other in Denmark, and I find to be aweful that team number 2 in Denmark gets a chance at CL rather than Liverpool, Juventus, Roma or Tottenham Etc.

yeah but it is the UEFA CHAMPIONS League, the original European Cup was made up of only Champions
and i think it is unique because you will always have a team from a country like Cyprus, APOEL doing superbly

dont you want that?
soon you people will be asking for a WC without Asian teams and make it like cricket where you have teams that are mandatory entrants
punkfusion1992
punkfusion1992
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:23 am

Freeza wrote:

Liverpool, Juventus, Roma, Tottenham etc were not good enough to be in Champions League. They did not play well enough in their respective league campaigns and there should not be a reward for that with endorsements and money they ultimately do not deserve. This entitlement/superiority complex among the bigger sides is highly annoying. Teams get to the CL with their hard work on and off the pitch, not because of their pedigree and reputation. The day that happens is the day I stop watching the Champions League.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:38 am

McLewis wrote:
Liverpool, Juventus, Roma, Tottenham etc were not good enough to be in Champions League. They did not play well enough in their respective league campaigns and there should not be a reward for that with endorsements and money they ultimately do not deserve. This entitlement/superiority complex among the bigger sides is highly annoying. Teams get to the CL with their hard work on and off the pitch, not because of their pedigree and reputation. The day that happens is the day I stop watching the Champions League.

I am not saying this champions league format should be changed, but i am quite sure the likes of Liverpool put in lots of hardwork and in most cases more than the teams winning the leagues in lesser known countries. The bigger sides are the bigger sides because of the hard work they put in in the past.

I think a more appropriate argument is definitely the exposure and the chance to earn a lot of big bucks, keep trying to improve and perform better in the CL each year.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:43 am

Beside the fact those smaller teams deserve to be in because they are actually champions, I see no reason we need more teams from the big leagues.

Villareal, Lyon and Valencia are not exactly setting the world alight.

Also, if this were to happen what about APOEL? Look how great they have done.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:48 am

Disagree, I am actually for limiting number of teams in total and giving only 1st and 2nd places right to participate in CL. Good ol days

16 teams in 4 groups, with 1 and 2 places from leagues.
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:57 am

I think the problem of not enough strong matches can be solved by bringing back the second group stage.

Second group stage = win
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:59 am

I think it's fine just the way it is. There are enough exciting matches as it is, choosing one today was hard enough.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:00 am

I like it Zeal, it would be much more fun.

But at the same time, it would mean more games per season for players who already play too many.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:01 am

We were in the CL last time it was 2 group stages Sad

Bring it back and we will qualify again, its a certainty banana
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce