7amood11
aunshi
nichabr
Great Leader Sprucenuce
TheRedStag
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just how good was Platini? Empty Just how good was Platini?

Post by TheRedStag Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Anyone one here old enough to have seen much/any of his career. Just wondering because of the Zidane v Laudrup thread. Where does Platini stand in all of this? His stats/records are brilliant.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Just how good was Platini? Empty Re: Just how good was Platini?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:45 pm

I never really watched him live, but my dad has lot's of tapes of him from many different games for France, Juventus etc etc and i can honestly say i feel today that he is underrated and almost forgetten by people how good he was.

Deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Zidane and Laudrup imo.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:I never really watched him live, but my dad has lot's of tapes of him from many different games for France, Juventus etc etc and i can honestly say i feel today that he is underrated and almost forgetten by people how good he was.

Deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Zidane and Laudrup imo.

That's what I was thinking. There's a possibility that he's the most underrated player of all time?
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:16 pm

hes better than both of them if u ask me...theres players out there that are criminally under-rated/forgotten
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by aunshi Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Would likely be better remembered if he had either faded into a lower profile and not done so much to anger people in his time at UEFA.

Can't really judge him as a player, what I've seen is pretty impressive.

aunshi
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:02 pm

2 consecutive Ballon d'Ors are an indicator of just how great Platini was. One of the all time greats, I must say.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Opinions of Juve fans needed please.

edit: 7amood in before me
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:09 pm

Not really underrated probably on thsi forum but I remember people use to say Zizou was the next Platini.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Platini can be argued to have been better than both of Zidane and Laudrup. Of course you can dispute that, but let's just say they're all in the same league.

Platini was incredible.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:30 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:Platini can be argued to have been better than both of Zidane and Laudrup. Of course you can dispute that, but let's just say they're all in the same league.

whatever he said .
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Magricos wrote: Not really underrated probably on thsi forum but I remember people use to say Zizou was the next Platini.

Pretty much this. I can't remember Platini ever being cast as underrated. What I feel is happening though is a few of us aren't seeing Platini as the legendary footballer he was but more the UEFA president who isn't the most liked person nowadays and is being associated with Blatter.

But underrated, nope. He has been a highly rated footballer for as long as I could remember. Never seen beyond tapes and videos though, you know, a bit before my time...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Doc wrote:
Magricos wrote: Not really underrated probably on thsi forum but I remember people use to say Zizou was the next Platini.

Pretty much this. I can't remember Platini ever being cast as underrated. What I feel is happening though is a few of us aren't seeing Platini as the legendary footballer he was but more the UEFA president who isn't the most liked person nowadays and is being associated with Blatter.

But underrated, nope. He has been a highly rated footballer for as long as I could remember. Never seen beyond tapes and videos though, you know, a bit before my time...

Maybe I needed to be clearer about what I meant by underrated.

I think we all know he was an extremely talented footballer so in that sense he is not underrated.

When discussing the all time greats though, his name doesn't come up very often, which it probably should.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Come to think of it, I can't remember writing Platini's name in any "All time great list" I've ever done so I must say I have been guilty of "underrating" his greatness. So I agree, a few of us (including myself) tend to either ignore or forget that he is, in fact, one of the greatest players to play the game.

Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Doc wrote:Come to think of it, I can't remember writing Platini's name in any "All time great list" I've ever done so I must say I have been guilty of "underrating" his greatness. So I agree, a few of us (including myself) tend to either ignore or forget that he is, in fact, one of the greatest players to play the game.

Exactly my point. And its not as if the gamefootball is as stacked with all-time great mid-fielders. The forwards get all the credit.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FilipeFerreira Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:54 pm

I don't know how good he was, but he certainly is the most garbage UEFA president ever.

Just how good was Platini? Michael-platini-226x300
FilipeFerreira
FilipeFerreira
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : FC Porto

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Greatest Through Baller Of All Time after Zico. Genius on the ptich, off the pitch; Golden Shirt/facepalm
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by weeble8604 Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:24 am

7amood11 wrote:2 consecutive Ballon d'Ors are an indicator of just how great Platini was. One of the all time greats, I must say.

3 straight
weeble8604
weeble8604
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by gkamtu Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 am

i dont think if zizzou have consercutive bellon d'Or..i cant judge platini coz am not in his era but imo zizzou is best MF ever....congrats zidane..
gkamtu
gkamtu
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:38 am

weeble8604 wrote:
7amood11 wrote:2 consecutive Ballon d'Ors are an indicator of just how great Platini was. One of the all time greats, I must say.

3 straight

Even better... He even got 3rd place twice.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MacPhisto/MirrorBallMan Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:39 am

weeble8604 wrote:

3 straight

Yes it was 3.

1983, 1984, 1985.

He scored 103 goals for Juventus in 222 games in the attacking midfield role.

Classy, cool, confident, cunning, clever.

Here's an article I found on him:

This is Platini summed up in an image...
Just how good was Platini? Tumblr_ldf4gp72eH1qbk94e

Sometimes a picture truly does speak a thousand words and when discussing the class, style and nonchalant grace of ease that was Michel Platini in his pomp, this picture taken during the 1985 Intercontinental Cup Final - is truly one of those images.

While the previously discussed 1996 triumph in the same competition announced the arrival of Alessandro Del Piero onto the world stage, the iconic number ten of the 80's was already a truly global star. By the time the Juventus reached Tokyo that year he was a three time Balon d'Or winner and had just been named World Player of the Year for the second succesive season, part of the 'carré magique' that led France to European Championship glory the previous summer and on his way to a hat-trick of Serie A top scorers titles (pause to reflect on the fact he played in midfield!) he was, beyond question and without peer, the best player in the world.

No, this triumph, on penalties over Copa Libertadores holders Argentinos Juniors, was not one of personal triumph or the coronation of a new hero, this victory was about the club and its fans gaining deserved recognition for their truly remarkable team. This confirmation should have come earlier that same year when, after a trophy laden eight years which saw Giovanni Trapattoni's men win every trophy available to them, they once again reached the European Cup Final. Runners up in 1983, the 'cup with the big ears' had become an obsession for this team, desperate to prove it belonged in the same breath as the other dominant sides of the era.

That 1985 final will never be remembered for football but instead for the indelible stain it left on a game (and two clubs) still marred by the tragedy of Heysel today. Thirty nine people who set off filled with hope went to watch a football match and never returned home, the game only going ahead to prevent further crowd trouble. No other clubs first European Cup victory can ever be so overshadowed.

Liverpool captain Phil Neal and Juve legend Gaetano Scirea addressed the crowd to appeal for calm before kick off. A one-nil victory, courtesy of a Platini penalty and Juventus celebrated the emptiest of wins on the field in front of their fans. Many players have denied knowledge of exactly what happened, but the events prior to kick-off will forever be rightly remembered ahead of the victory.

So it was to the Intercontinental Cup the players and supporters looked to, both to honour those lost and to truly claim their place among the greats. Their talismanic French star leading them with his usual majestic touches and having one of those unforgettable moments that all true icons have. Pele has his 'rounding the keeper' moment against Uruguay in 1970 and Platini matched the Brazilian here, taking three touches - never letting the ball hit the ground - before volleying it into the net. It was ruled out by the German referee, prompting Platini to simply lay on the turf in defiance, his disbelief at being denied a sumptuous goal clearly visible.

He did eventually get a goal - as did Michael Laudrup - in the 2-2 draw, and he added the winning penalty in the shootout but this was not a victory solely about Michel Platini. This was a victory for the Old Lady of Juventus, her fans and indeed for football.

MacPhisto/MirrorBallMan
MacPhisto/MirrorBallMan
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:38 am

As people have stated his class was felt at club level, however what's also been neglected is the incredible effect on the French national team. France hadn't been internationally relevant for twenty years and Platini was the leader of them team on the pitch as he took them to the semi-finals of the World Cup and won the European Championships.

Italian parents. :coffee:
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Raffy Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:52 am

Raffy
Raffy
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by :{Mr.Mustachio! Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:38 am

That Juventus side in general is under-valued and largely forgotten, Heysel made most people just want to forget that time in it's entirety.
:{Mr.Mustachio!
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:54 am

:{Mr.Mustachio! wrote:That Juventus side in general is under-valued and largely forgotten, Heysel made most people just want to forget that time in it's entirety.

Platini, Gentile, Scirea, Cabrini, Boniek, Rossi that was one hell of team.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by :{Mr.Mustachio! Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:04 am

milanista99 wrote:
:{Mr.Mustachio! wrote:That Juventus side in general is under-valued and largely forgotten, Heysel made most people just want to forget that time in it's entirety.

Platini, Gentile, Scirea, Cabrini, Boniek, Rossi that was one hell of team.

Zoff, Tardelli...

It was great, and these players were in the midst of some very strong teams and players.

But they are always missed from 'greatest' lists, Platini and Scirea especially deserve to be ever present on them!
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next