Great Leader Sprucenuce
teamanarchy
Jonathan28
Art Morte
Raptorgunner
Serge Gnabry
13 posters

Go down

Manchester City announce biggest ever loss in English football Empty Manchester City announce biggest ever loss in English football

Post by Serge Gnabry Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:14 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/18/manchester-city-biggest-ever-loss

Manchester City have announced the biggest loss in English football history, £194.5m for the most recent financial year. The loss on that huge scale, bankrolled by the club's oil-rich owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan during the third year since he bought City in 2008, eclipses the previous biggest loss ever made, £141m by Chelsea in 2005, the second year of their ownership by the oil oligarch Roman Abramovich.

City's loss was made principally by buying players to make Roberto Mancini's squad strong enough to top the Premier League, and paying wages beyond the club's own turnover. During the 2010-11 financial year City signed Jérôme Boateng for £10.5m, Edin Dzeko for £27m, David Silva for £26m, Yaya Touré for £24m, Aleksandar Kolarov for £19m, Mario Balotelli for £24m and James Milner for £26m, an extraordinary series of player purchases totalling £156.5m.

Mansour made it clear when he took over that he would spend the fortunes necessary to make City successful, and since June 2010 he has personally poured a further £291m into the club. Added to the £500m Mansour invested up to May 31 2010, he has now spent an unprecedented £800m on the football club, to bankroll the expenditure on transfer fees and wages the club would otherwise not have been able to afford. All the money has gone in as equity, in new shares, making it permanent, not as loans. The net loss City made on their operations, £160.5m, was increased by £34.4m writing off the value of several players signed previously, including the Brazilian striker, Jô.

A loss on such record-breaking scale raises immediate concerns about whether City have any chance of complying with Uefa's "financial fair play" rules, which will apply to clubs in European competitions from the 2014-15 season. Uefa will analyse top clubs' accounts for the three years before that, starting with the current 2011-12 financial year, and the rules allow clubs to lose just €45m (£38.5m) in total over those three years. Uefa's rationale is that such subsidised overspending is relentlessly inflating players' wages throughout European football, which has driven clubs insolvent.

City acknowledged the looming enforcement of financial fair play when releasing their figures, restating that despite this record loss close, they will attempt to comply. Graham Wallace, the club's chief operating office, said the 2010-11 financial year, in which those signings of top players added to the mountainous wage bill already accumulated, will be City's worst.

"Our losses, which we predicted as part of our accelerated investment strategy, will not be repeated on this scale in the future," Wallace promised. "These financial results represent the bottoming out of financial losses at Manchester City before the club is able to move towards a more sustainable position in all aspects of its operations in the years ahead.

"As we undertake the club's commercial transformation, we are cognisant of the incoming Uefa financial fair play regulations and consequently we continue to maintain positive and ongoing dialogue with all appropriate football authorities."

The club's chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, a senior adviser to Mansour's al-Nahyan ruling family and the Abu Dhabi government, also implicitly acknowledged City's need not to depend on such huge subsidy from Mansour in coming years:

"Now that we are witnessing progress, both on and off the pitch, it is more important than ever to work towards achieving our ambition to establish Manchester City as a more successful, sustainable and internationally competitive football club, which remains rooted in the heart of the community it serves," al-Mubarak said.

City are confident that with income having risen 22.5% to £153m during 2010-11, the boost of Champions League football, increased TV and commercial earnings from being successful, the £350m 10-year shirt sponsorship and stadium naming rights deal with Etihad airline and the shedding of players no longer part of Mancini's plans, will draw income and spending closer together. They hope to show Uefa a "trend" towards breaking even by 2014-15 even if the losses have not been sufficiently staunched.

While seeing the need to comply with the rules, privately City are bullish too. Their 6-1 derby victory over United last month highlighted a sudden startling contrast between the Manchester club which has been pumped up by £800m owner investment, and United which, as their latest financial figures revealed this week, has now had £578m drained out by the Glazer family's 2005 debt-laden takeover.

While some clubs, most prominently Arsenal, complain that City's owner-spending is hyper-inflating wages and distorting football, City point out that they have broken no rules – so far at least – and in fact should be credited for investing fortunes in England, and in economically blighted east Manchester, at a time of economic meltdown here and in Europe.
Serge Gnabry
Serge Gnabry
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Manchester City announce biggest ever loss in English football Empty Re: Manchester City announce biggest ever loss in English football

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 pm

While some clubs, most prominently Arsenal, complain that City's owner-spending is hyper-inflating wages and distorting football, City point out that they have broken no rules – so far at least – and in fact should be credited for investing fortunes in England, and in economically blighted east Manchester, at a time of economic meltdown here and in Europe

WTH? only Arsenal lol. Manchester City announce biggest ever loss in English football 2276801876
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Manchester City announce biggest ever loss in English football Empty Re: Manchester City announce biggest ever loss in English football

Post by Art Morte Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:01 pm

It is staggering.

I don't consider myself to be among the loudest critics of City, but I find little positive to say about that figure. £194m, geez.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Manchester City announce biggest ever loss in English football Tumblr_ln5jov6nOR1qe2vfw
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by teamanarchy Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:16 pm

My word...

I'm not surprised
teamanarchy
teamanarchy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ks16152913

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Meanwhile the team they face on Saturday are operating on a profit and only 6 points behind them :coffee:

Spoiler:

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloInter Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Sheikh Mansour is gonna cover all the loss but what about the ffp ??
SoloInter
SoloInter
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:Meanwhile the team they face on Saturday are operating on a profit and only 6 points behind them :coffee:

Spoiler:

You dont know how bad I wan you guys to beat them. :bow: :bow:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:44 pm

"While some clubs, most prominently Arsenal, complain that City's owner-spending is hyper-inflating wages and distorting football, City point out that they have broken no rules – so far at least – and in fact should be credited for investing fortunes in England, and in economically blighted east Manchester, at a time of economic meltdown here and in Europe"

I know people may think I'm nuts for saying this but I actually kind of agree with this statement. If more business' were less concerned about there bottom line and more concerned about making themselves a good member of there community pour lots of money into it and not taking advantage of it and insuring that there going to be there for the next decade then this economic downturn would not have been so brutal.

I know it's a luxury most business' don't have and it's a major competitive advantage over most of the teams you guys root for but they have brought world class talents to the EPL in an age were most were going to La Liga and they are spliting the TV money and therefore basically helping out other teams while hurting theres.

I just don't know why everyone has to be so negative about what there doing, the only person thats losing money and not gaining off of this model is there billionaire owner and I wish more billionaires would take his approach.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:01 pm

SoloInter wrote:Sheikh Mansour is gonna cover all the loss but what about the ffp ??

ffp wont do anything

and most of the loss is because they had to save the local boxing gym: https://goallegacy.forumotion.com/t12247-city-save-local-boxing-club

:coffee:

Last edited by lenear1030 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by che Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:11 pm

dnmac4 wrote:

I just don't know why everyone has to be so negative about what there doing, the only person thats losing money and not gaining off of this model is there billionaire owner and I wish more billionaires would take his approach.

yeah well i wish billionaires would stick to buying bentley fleets and 100m yachts to impress each other and keep their dickmeasuring contests out of football competitions with decades worth of heritage
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:58 pm

che wrote:
dnmac4 wrote:

yeah well i wish billionaires would stick to buying bentley fleets and 100m yachts to impress each other and keep their dickmeasuring contests out of football competitions with decades worth of heritage

I mean you have very right to feel that way but almost the entire EPL is run by these people and to be honest La Liga needs the same kind of people investing in teams in Spain as well. Not to mention Italy too. It's not a bad thing for someone to dump a bunch of there own money into the league you love, all it does is make the league better and healthier and more competitive not to mention is great for whatever town there in as well. Look at Malaga there owner is revitalizing the whole town with his purchase of the club.

In almost every sports league in the world the teams are owned by rich people who's first interest is not making money off of the team they bought. If they do make money, great but they don't really expect to.

The bigger question is, what's the cut off? IF a rich family bought a team 50 years ago and have owned them for the last 50 years how is that any better? It's still a rich guy buying a club or team for the same reason someone would buy one today. It's just really hypocritical thinking as this is how it's been done for almost 100 years. Unless it's a club owned by the fans which is great but impossible for every team to be run that way.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:05 pm

dnmac4 wrote:
While some clubs, most prominently Arsenal, complain that City's owner-spending is hyper-inflating wages and distorting football, City point out that they have broken no rules – so far at least – and in fact should be credited for investing fortunes in England, and in economically blighted east Manchester, at a time of economic meltdown here and in Europe

I know people may think I'm nuts for saying this but I actually kind of agree with this statement. If more business' were less concerned about there bottom line and more concerned about making themselves a good member of there community pour lots of money into it and not taking advantage of it and insuring that there going to be there for the next decade then this economic downturn would not have been so brutal.

It's a fair point in City's favour.

However, it is a bit of an obvious side-effect of the main objective, which is funding Manc City limitlessly.

It's a relatively small number of people who are benefitting from that "extra cash" that Sheikh Mansour is pouring into Manc City FC: Players earning very high wages, agents and other clubs pocketing hefty transfer fees. For a comparison, if it was a supermarket chain that Sheikh Mansour was willing to run in England with £100m+ losses every year, the benefit that "normal" people would get would be, like, a hundred-fold, because it would create a lot of jobs and probably have a little cheaper prices than other supermarket chains, since they'd be losing that £100m every year.

But Manc City FC spending money without limits will, at the end of the day, have a very small effect on (local) society and economy when the figures that are being spent are taken in consideration.

Moreover, it'd be great if Sheikh Mansour had an agreement with himself along the lines "every year 10% of the loss that Manc City make, I will donate to charity".
That would make these enormous losses seem less arrogant, especially in the current economic climate.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:07 pm

To city's defense they are investing money into football unlike glasers who takes away money from it.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Art Morte wrote:
dnmac4 wrote:

It's a fair point in City's favour.

However, it is a bit of an obvious side-effect of the main objective, which is funding Manc City limitlessly.

It's a relatively small number of people who are benefitting from that "extra cash" that Sheikh Mansour is pouring into Manc City FC: Players earning very high wages, agents and other clubs pocketing hefty transfer fees. For a comparison, if it was a supermarket chain that Sheikh Mansour was willing to run in England with £100m+ losses every year, the benefit that "normal" people would get would be, like, a hundred-fold, because it would create a lot of jobs and probably have a little cheaper prices than other supermarket chains, since they'd be losing that £100m every year.

But Manc City FC spending money without limits will, at the end of the day, have a very small effect on (local) society and economy when the figures that are being spent are taken in consideration.

Moreover, it'd be great if Sheikh Mansour had an agreement with himself along the lines "every year 10% of the loss that Manc City make, I will donate to charity".
That would make these enormous losses seem less arrogant, especially in the current economic climate.

That's fine and again I see where some of you are coming from but the undeniable fact is that for the City of Manchester there in no negative affect to what City is doing and only positives. Having 2 teams in the City playing Champions league football brings in tourists who spend money in restaurants and stay in Hotels and go around the City and shop. Any mayor or person that runs a City will tell you having a world class sporting team in your city increases the City's financial status to a huge degree. They will invest around the stadium, they could build a new practice facility and youth facility and on and on.

Now think if every business had owners with the power to do that and instead of pocketing the cash actually went out and did it, I know it's not reasonable but you can't knock it. IT's great for the EPL, the city of Manchester and English football. It just is, the positives out weigh the negatives ten fold.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:28 pm

WOW, I didn't even see the City saves Boxing club thread, here is part of it below. It supports exactly what I'm talking about and this kind of stuff happens all the time.

"When the roof collapsed at Ardwick Boxing Club it looked like a knockout blow had landed on the historic stable.

But thanks to the generosity of kind-hearted bosses at Manchester City, the 114-year-old institution is about to drag itself from the canvas and roar back into life.

Coach Ian Harrison had feared the worst when lead thieves prompted the collapse at their already-dilapidated gym on Palmerston Street.

It had only just been given the green light to reopen after flooding wreaked havoc last winter.

With no money to pay for a new home he was faced with delivering the heartbreaking news to 20 young fighters that they would have to find somewhere else to train.

But City chiefs heard of the club's plight and leapt into action - finding them a new home at a former church on Bosworth Street in the shadows of their own stadium.

And their generosity did not end there. They made the boxing club the first winners of the new Connell Awards, named after the family that founded City and aimed at helping sports clubs in east Manchester, and handed them a cheque for new gear.

Blues staff were also drafted in to spend a day working at the new site and club sponsors were called upon to donate equipment.

As though that was not enough 52-year-old Ian, and ardent United fan, says Blues officials have promised they can move to the club's new planned world-leading training facility when it opens."
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesy Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:17 pm

On a positive note for them, it's not something they really have to worry about.

There's a major difference between losses and debt. Despite all of the money Man City have lost here, they're still in an enviable financial position.

cheesy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:34 pm

dnmac4 wrote:
che wrote:
dnmac4 wrote:

I mean you have very right to feel that way but almost the entire EPL is run by these people and to be honest La Liga needs the same kind of people investing in teams in Spain as well. Not to mention Italy too. It's not a bad thing for someone to dump a bunch of there own money into the league you love, all it does is make the league better and healthier and more competitive not to mention is great for whatever town there in as well. Look at Malaga there owner is revitalizing the whole town with his purchase of the club.

In almost every sports league in the world the teams are owned by rich people who's first interest is not making money off of the team they bought. If they do make money, great but they don't really expect to.

The bigger question is, what's the cut off? IF a rich family bought a team 50 years ago and have owned them for the last 50 years how is that any better? It's still a rich guy buying a club or team for the same reason someone would buy one today. It's just really hypocritical thinking as this is how it's been done for almost 100 years. Unless it's a club owned by the fans which is great but impossible for every team to be run that way.

I agree with this, no one was complaining when Silvio bought AC and turned them into a pwer house where they or how Inter is owned by mors family? It's just bitter people complainng. I'd rather have the sheiks than the Glazers anyday tbh.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloInter Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:43 pm

lenear1030 wrote:
SoloInter wrote:Sheikh Mansour is gonna cover all the loss but what about the ffp ??

ffp wont do anything

and most of the loss is because they had to save the local boxing gym: https://goallegacy.forumotion.com/t12247-city-save-local-boxing-club

:coffee:

Seriously though, i don't understand how are City not caring about the ffp rules and crap. I mean isn't banning a club from participating in the Champions League under Uefa's jurisdiction, so if City go too far with their financial loss then they might face serious consequences !!
SoloInter
SoloInter
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down