jibers
EarlyPrototype
Giovanni10
S
Babun
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What's a poacher? Empty What's a poacher?

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:32 am

I think people use 'poacher' as carelessly as English media 'world class players' regarding their 'stars' before every majour international tournament eco smile

Who is a poacher in your eyes ?

How to differentiate them properly?

For example, Cavani, Godmez, Higgy, Falcao and Huntelaar are 'poachers' . Does the term poacher describe them properly? If not, how to call them?

Come on, bright minds of goallegacy, we need to solve basic problems Very Happy

Discuss :lol!:

Last edited by babun1024 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

What's a poacher? Empty Re: What's a poacher?

Post by S Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 am

From what i've observed ,I'm not using any wiki reference or anything ,a poacher is someone who is mostly confined to the box,who does make intelligent runs behind the defense(I'm entirely sure if this is a typical poacher's trait) ,someone who has great positional sense in front of goal and that right place in the right time mentality.

I'm not sure if Cavani can be described as a poacher considering he involves himself substantially in build-up play,constantly drifts out wide and someone who does seem to like the ball at his feet and work with it.So imo he is just more than a poacher.

S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:53 am

Concur with Surag.Blueguy

By definition: Striker that stations himself in the 18 yard box, especially close to the 6 yard box. Predominantly feeds off tap-ins in open play. goals from set-play and finishes off parried shots by goal keepers.

The benchmark for me in the 21st century, Ruud van Nistelrooy during his Manchester United days. So clinical. Obviously his style changed a bit, but strangely he was never able to drop the poacher tag.

Another, although debatable because he was also a solid finisher after being put through 1 on 1, is Inzaghi.

I feel as though poachers are actually a dying breed.. The job actually requires a fair amount of intelligence and awareness. Where as these days strikers are becoming more physical/athletic, speedy and tricky. As Surag said they are likely to involve themselves more in the build-up play than just apply the finishing touch.

Players like Cavani and Higuain are not poachers. That is just ridiculous. The only trait Higuain takes from a poacher is the ability to consistently steal the ball off either the Goal keeper or someone in the back-line, which is hilarious!

Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

http://newsfromthelogcabin.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:55 am

Surag.Blueguy wrote:From what i've observed ,I'm not using any wiki reference or anything ,a poacher is someone who is mostly confined to the box,who does make intelligent runs behind the defense(I'm entirely sure if this is a typical poacher's trait) ,someone who has great positional sense in front of goal and that right place in the right time mentality.

I'm not sure if Cavani can be described as a poacher considering he involves himself substantially in build-up play,constantly drifts out wide and someone who does seem to like the ball at his feet and work with it.So imo he is just more than a poacher.

I know what you mean but by calling Cavani a poacher for example I can't help but feel like the word 'poacher' is downgrading his abilities to goal scoring only. How to differ those types properly? Maybe, we need a new name for them Very Happy
Every striker is a poacher in a sense, some of them excell at it but it doesn't mean their other abilities go downhill or are non existant eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:57 am

VibeTribe wrote:I am not comfortable with your presence on the forum babun since you failed to provide evidence in form of a picture of you and I-no,which is strange as you two didn't seem to have a problem posting pictures before.

You should be banned if you can't prove you two are different people cause that means you made 7 accounts.I don't like you :coffee:

Leave Babun Alone, lol

What's a poacher? Corcker
Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Giovanni10 wrote:..........
Who is Vibetribe again? eco smile I don't know or see anyone by that name... eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:12 pm

A poacher is a player that lives in the 18 yard box and feeds off the players around him. Creates an end product of the build up player mostly through tap ins, but with great efficiency. Not flashy, but they get the job done.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:13 pm

babun1024 wrote:
Surag.Blueguy wrote:From what i've observed ,I'm not using any wiki reference or anything ,a poacher is someone who is mostly confined to the box,who does make intelligent runs behind the defense(I'm entirely sure if this is a typical poacher's trait) ,someone who has great positional sense in front of goal and that right place in the right time mentality.

I know what you mean but by calling Cavani a poacher for example I can't help but feel like the word 'poacher' is downgrading his abilities to goal scoring only. How to differ those types properly? Maybe, we need a new name for them Very Happy
Every striker is a poacher in a sense, some of them excell at it but it doesn't mean their other abilities go downhill or are non existant eco smile

Well yeah i agree.Well its not about downgrading the overall abilities of the striker ,maybe its just down to instincts perhaps ?

Or its just that some have just mastered the art of poaching.

Maybe i am being stupid here but i dont think poaching =/= goal-scoring considering it more emphasizes on the positional sense in front of goal of a particular striker as Giovanni10 aptly says in his definition.

Also most of Cavani's goals cannot be described as "poacher's" goals imo.

New name ?I think all of those strikers you mentioned are basically Centre-forwards.Its just that some possess the ability and thereby have mastered and excelled at poaching which is purely down to their instincts imo.

At present other than RVN and Pippo ,the true typical poacher is Chicarito Hernandez.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:20 pm

poaching is the style a striker uses to score. Instead of creating the goal scoring chance with the ball at his feet. He makes the run into the goalscoring position without the ball and is reliant on a teammate to get the ball to the final position.

You can combine poaching with all the other styles. In fact, every striker i know uses some poaching skills but to varying degrees.

But to be labeled a poacher means that you predominantly rely on this style for your game.

Last edited by sportsczy on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Surag.Blueguy wrote:
babun1024 wrote:

Well yeah i agree.Well its not about downgrading the overall abilities of the striker ,maybe its just down to instincts perhaps ?

Maybe i am being stupid here but i dont think poaching =/= goal-scoring considering it more emphasizes on the positional sense in front of goal of a particular striker as Giovanni10 aptly says in his definition.

New name ?I think all of those strikers you mentioned are basically Centre-forwards.Its just that some possess the ability and thereby have mastered and excelled at poaching which is purely down to their instincts imo.

At present other than RVN and Pippo ,the true typical poacher is Chicarito Hernandez.
Add Huntelaar and Falcao in the mix Very Happy They're your typical old school poachers Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:23 pm

Surag.Blueguy wrote:
babun1024 wrote:

QFT

Definition of a modern poacher: Javier Hernandez

Spot on Surag. Well thats settled, lets close this thread and head to the pub, good job guys! smoking
Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:25 pm

sportsczy wrote:poaching is the style a striker uses to score. Instead of creating the goal scoring chance with the ball at his feet. He makes the run into the goalscoring position without the ball and is reliant on the a teammate to get the ball to the final position.

You can combine poaching with all the other styles. In fact, every striker i know uses some poaching skills but to varying degrees.

But to be labeled a poacher means that you predominantly rely on this style for your game.

That's my problem with the terminology. People in goallegacy label every striker who is profilic in the box poachers Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Short conclusion:

A poacher is a type of striker who scores predominantly in the box using great positional sense, is useless on the ball, makes runs without it behind the defence and is heavily reliant on service from his teammates Very Happy
(Thx to Sportsczy and Surag)

Anything to add? Very Happy

Last edited by babun1024 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Just...wow...
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:31 pm

useless on the ball is a bit harsh no?
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:34 pm

babun1024 wrote:
sportsczy wrote:poaching is the style a striker uses to score. Instead of creating the goal scoring chance with the ball at his feet. He makes the run into the goalscoring position without the ball and is reliant on the a teammate to get the ball to the final position.

That's my problem with the terminology. People in goallegacy label every striker who is profilic in the box poachers Very Happy

Yeah... it has nothing to do with being efficient at goalscoring in the box, although most poachers are very efficient just because they receive the ball in the final position. They're not subject to all the things that could go wrong prior to the ball getting there. Poaching is more about how you get your goalscoring chances.

Strikers who rely on poaching should be stat kings because they do not participate in the setup, and the success and failures that are involved in that part. They either shoot for one of their preferred positions or they don't see the ball.

Like i've said, it's great to have a poacher when you have dominant playmakers around him. But if those playmakers are stopped and that final ball cannot be made, players that predominantly rely on poaching need to be able to shift styles. Very few can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Tapin king, like Cronaldo.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:36 pm

babun1024 wrote:Short conclusion:

A poacher is a type of striker who scores predominantly in the box using great positional sense, is useless on the ball, makes runs without it behind the defence and is heavily reliant on service from his teammates Very Happy
(Thx to Sportsczy and Surag)

Anything to add? Very Happy

and he must short, tan, low cut, mexican, and his name must be funny to say and funny to write.

ex: ChachachaDorito
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:36 pm

not useless on the ball Babun... Players labeled as poachers can be very useful on the ball. But when they are, they're not being poachers. There's no such thing as a 100% poacher. Every striker combines several aspects to his game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:37 pm

EarlyPrototype wrote:useless on the ball is a bit harsh no?
Chica on the ball? Very Happy He is useless Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Maybe Huntelaar has a case.

But Falcao ? scratch I have watched him a number of times last season but he seems to be more than a poacher and along with that he is technically very sound as well as you would expect with South-american Forwards.Correct me if i'm wrong.

I would put Falcao in the same bracket as Cavani imo.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:37 pm

babun1024 wrote:

Godzalo says hi.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Surag.Blueguy wrote:Maybe Huntelaar has a case.

But Falcao ? scratch I have watched him a number of times last season but he seems to be more than a poacher and along with that he is technically very sound as well as you would expect with South-american Forwards.Correct me if i'm wrong.

I would put Falcao in the same bracket as Cavani imo.
No, Cavani's work rate, skills outside the box and on the ball are far superior to Falcao. Falcao is your typical box poacher, of course with great control ( South American) but he participates as much in buildups as Chica= useless Very Happy

Last edited by babun1024 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Sportsczy wrote:Like i've said, it's great to have a poacher when you have dominant playmakers around him. But if those playmakers are stopped and that final ball cannot be made, players that predominantly rely on poaching need to be able to shift styles. Very few can.

Sportsczy's dig on Higuain. :coffee:

banana
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:40 pm

EarlyPrototype wrote:
babun1024 wrote:

Godzalo says hi.
Gonzalo isn't just poacher Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next