Liverpool's Jamie Carragher: Having a foreign manager is 'embarrassing' for England

+13
Jay29
aford92
justdoit_
Sushi Master
Great Leader Sprucenuce
McLewis
Grande_Milano
EarlyPrototype
Magricos
kiranr
Senor Penguin
Art Morte
michael1
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Liverpool's Jamie Carragher: Having a foreign manager is 'embarrassing' for England Empty Liverpool's Jamie Carragher: Having a foreign manager is 'embarrassing' for England

Post by michael1 Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Jamie Carragher does not believe England should appoint another foreign coach to replace Fabio Capello, as he sees it as 'a form of cheating' at international level.

Capello succeeded Steve McClaren following a failed Euro 2008 qualification campaign and has since guided England to the 2010 World Cup while the Italian will wrap up a place at Euro 2012 with victory over Montenegro.

The 65-year-old will retire after the tournament next summer, and Carragher thinks it would be 'embarrassing' to turn to another foreign coach.

“If your manager’s not good enough, that’s your country’s fault," Carragher said, according to the Daily Mirror. "Get a better manager. Do the coaching qualification better.

“I think it’s a form of cheating at international football and to be honest it’s a little bit embarrassing.”

Carragher came out of international retirement to travel to South Africa as part of the England squad which suffered a comprehensive defeat at the hands of Germany after an unconvincing performance in the group stages.

And, rather than lay the blame at Capello's door, the Liverpool defender has insisted more home-grown coaches should get a chance to take charge of the national side.

He added: “I’ve got nothing against Capello - I went with him to the World Cup and got to know him a little bit there - but I just think that’s what international football is.

“I can’t say the World Cup went great under Capello, because it didn’t, but getting a foreign manager is like saying, ‘Well, our keeper’s not good enough, so we’re going to go and get Buffon from Italy’, or whoever it may be.

“Benitez, Houllier, Mourinho - they’ve all got things about them in terms of having won the big trophies. Does that mean English managers don’t get a chance at the Premier League? Look at Chelsea with a 33-year-old manager.

“In years gone by, David Moyes would have got that position, or an up and coming manager who’s done a great job [would], but that doesn’t happen anymore and with the national team it’s about what you’ve achieved, what you’ve got in the locker.”

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2011/10/05/2698289/liverpools-jamie-carragher-having-a-foreign-manager-is

to be honest i couldnt agree more with him.

you wouldnt see any of the other big nations using foreign coaches.

wjat do you guys think, it is time for the fa to put faith in an english manager after capello ?
michael1
michael1
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Liverpool's Jamie Carragher: Having a foreign manager is 'embarrassing' for England Empty Re: Liverpool's Jamie Carragher: Having a foreign manager is 'embarrassing' for England

Post by Art Morte Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 pm

I wouldn't say it's embarassing, but in principle I agree with Jamie.

In NTs all your players have to be from the same country, so why not the manager, too? If and when international football is about putting your domestic talent against that of other nations, I think that should include the manager as well.

FIFA should make it a rule, if you ask me.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Liverpool's Jamie Carragher: Having a foreign manager is 'embarrassing' for England Empty Re: Liverpool's Jamie Carragher: Having a foreign manager is 'embarrassing' for England

Post by Senor Penguin Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 pm

That's embarrassing? I'd say their performances on the pitch and off-pitch scandals are truly embarrassing - not what national background their coach has.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by michael1 Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Art Morte wrote:I wouldn't say it's embarassing, but in principle I agree with Jamie.

In NTs all your players have to be from the same country, so why not the manager, too? If and when international football is about putting your domestic talent against that of other nations, I think that should include the manager as well.

agreed i mean for smaller nations i can kinda understand, but for a country like england as jamie said its embarrasing and shows a lack of pride if u ask me.

honestly i think an english coach is exactly what england needs to reinvigorate them
michael1
michael1
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:20 pm

Art Morte wrote:I wouldn't say it's embarassing, but in principle I agree with Jamie.

What's the difference between having players of different ethnicities and having a coach with a foreign passport?

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by michael1 Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:

What's the difference between having players of different ethnicities and having a coach with a foreign passport?

becuase they players are linked to that country for them to be eligible to play, for instance balotelli born and raised in italy.

he is italian so why shouldnt he play for italy.

im sorry but there 2 different things really.

i mean honestly where talkin about someone who is leading ur country.

a country like england shouldnt be using foreign coaches.

honestly would u ever see spain italy or germany do soemthing like this
michael1
michael1
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:28 pm

if the FA feels there aren't any good English managers available/interested, what can they do but hire foreign coaches....
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:38 pm

michael1 wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:

becuase they players are linked to that country for them to be eligible to play, for instance balotelli born and raised in italy.

I could see Germany doing it but not Spain or Italy. They've got a more nationalistic approach in general.

That the FA decided to choose an Italian manager only reflects the tolerance that exists for multiculturalism in the English society ... but it also reflects the lack of English managers willing to take the job and/or English managers being incompetent for the job.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by michael1 Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:
michael1 wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:

I could see Germany doing it but not Spain or Italy. They've got a more nationalistic approach in general.

That the FA decided to choose an Italian manager only reflects the tolerance that exists for multiculturalism in the English society ... but it also reflects the lack of English managers willing to take the job and/or English managers being incompetent for the job.

nahh i dnt think the germans ever would there just as proud.

i hate when people say it just shows england is more multicultral, no it just shows they dont have faith in there coaches and arent willing to take risks to give their coaches a chance.

besides the players need someone they can comepletely understand/relate to.

i mean capello isnt gonna go on about englans pride as a nation or what not.

there needs to be that english passion from a coach.

i dont know for me a country like england should be able to supply there own coach.

italy took a risk with donadoni, italy has kinda taken a risk with prandelli as he hasnt really won anything but we know he is a top drawer coach.
michael1
michael1
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:52 pm

:facepalm:

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:54 pm

I agree 100%, the manager is part of the team/squad. You might as well take players from other national teams as well. Capello is not even a British citizen and has no relation to England apart from his job. I would prefer an English coach to take over from Capello.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:55 pm

michael1 wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:
michael1 wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:

i hate when people say it just shows england is more multicultral, no it just shows they dont have faith in there coaches and arent willing to take risks to give their coaches a chance.

i dont know for me a country like england should be able to supply there own coach.

italy took a risk with donadoni, italy has kinda taken a risk with prandelli as he hasnt really won anything but we know he is a top drawer coach.
Passion doesn't help much if you're a sucky coach. Capello has the credentials and the passion. The success he had on club level shows that he's passionate about coaching regardless of where he does it. I don't see why he'd be any less passionate about coaching England?

Having said that, I do agree that he's not the right man for England. I just don't believe it has anything to do with the passport that he carries and his supposed lack of passion.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Carragher should be more concerned about how they play. The other countries really don't care about the nationality of England's coach.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by michael1 Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:
michael1 wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:
michael1 wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:

Passion doesn't help much if you're a sucky coach. Capello has the credentials and the passion. The success he had on club level shows that he's passionate about coaching regardless of where he does it. I don't see why he'd be any less passionate about coaching England?

Having said that, I do agree that he's not the right man for England. I just don't believe it has anything to do with the passport that he carries and his supposed lack of passion.

my point is in a short story is that a country like england should be able to supply its own coaches, end of story.

smaller football countries really have no choice england on the other hand have no excuses.

im sorry but for me to coach a big national team, the person should be from there.

no ifs or buts.

if the shoe ends up being on the other foot in the future, i would still take a crap italian coach.

just as i dnt want any foreign billionaires buying into serie a clubs.
michael1
michael1
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Good point on ethnicities. England has people from everywhere playing for NT, so having manager just with foreign passport is not a bad thing
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Clubs like Liverpool should choose English managers then.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Well as we've seen presently and in the past, in countries like Italy, Spain, France, Germany, and the Netherlands....it's practically unthinkable to have a foreigner coach your national side. Now I suppose it's that way because all of those countries have produced some of the best tactical minds in the history of game as well though.

The fact that nations like England have become known for just that speaks volumes about the hopelessly apparent lack of coaching talent. I absolutely agree with Carra when he says " If England don't have a good enough home-grown coach, that's England's problem." He's spot on there.

Yeah Redknapp or Allardyce or Holloway aren't exactly glamorous names, but they're English and they do deserve a shot.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:34 pm

I think one small reason why some countries don't use a foreign manager is language.

If you are not a German football manager, you probably don't speak German. It would make it a little difficult if you had to always speak through an interperter, whether it's to your players, the nation's media or football association.

Whereas most non-British managers do speak some English.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Embarassing?

I'll tell you whats embarassing, the fact we dont have a single good english manager that is whats embarassing !
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:52 pm

michael1 wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:
michael1 wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:
michael1 wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:

my point is in a short story is that a country like england should be able to supply its own coaches, end of story.

smaller football countries really have no choice england on the other hand have no excuses.

im sorry but for me to coach a big national team, the person should be from there.

no ifs or buts.

if the shoe ends up being on the other foot in the future, i would still take a crap italian coach.

just as i dnt want any foreign billionaires buying into serie a clubs.
I agree that England should be better at supplying English coaches but listen ... If Capello happened to get an English passport tomorrow would that suddenly make him more passionate about being English or coaching the national team? And if nationality is synonymous with passion, why do the English players seem so unmotivated and under perform when they play for their country?

Nationality is much more complicated than having some sort of romantic delusional pride just because you happened to be born or choose to live within some geographical lines on a map.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm

How do English fans feel about this anyway ?

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Magricos wrote: How do English fans feel about this anyway ?

I think Carragher is a total cock who is talking out of his ass......

Also it is embarassing that with a population of more than 60 million people that we cant find a decent manager for the national team of our primary sport.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by michael1 Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:23 pm

No ur not gettin my point its not about gettin a passport its only in cases like balotelli born and raised the country means something to them whether it be player or coach when it comes to nationals.

Or for instance ozil is turkish but born an raised in germany he is as german as anyone in that country as much as baloteli is italian.

Its no secret that germany italy brazil and spain recently all have won with there own coaches.

i mean look at argentina they dont have well known coaches but they give them a chance.

Look at maradona tactically not the best coach but the argentine players respected him, he could relate to them, and sure they lost but u could see they wanted to win for him.

Unless ur a small country there is no excuse, yes the players play with no passion regarding england but thats not what were talkin about and thats what im tryin to say only a british coach can really get up em give em half time speeches about what there representing on the field.

Can cappello honestly do that ??

But iv tryed to state my point enough times now lol

michael1
michael1
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Art Morte wrote:I think one small reason why some countries don't use a foreign manager is language.

If you are not a German football manager, you probably don't speak German. It would make it a little difficult if you had to always speak through an interperter, whether it's to your players, the nation's media or football association.

Whereas most non-British managers do speak some English.

Well yeah language is a bit of a barrier, but it's not a particularly tough obstacle to overcome. It's done all the time at club level though.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:55 pm

:lol!: Argentina do have well known coaches and it's not a popularity contest it's about what the coaches do or what the coaches have accomplished or what they intend to.

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next