Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point?

+43
Nishankly
LeSwagg James
FennecFox7
Ă–MARz
rwo power
Ali
S
ChollaVille
Red Alert
BeautifulGame
The Verminator
Le Samourai
Sir Psycho
Luca
BarrileteCosmico
zizzle
Khaled
Lex
poolsupporter
baresi
Highburied
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
InvalidComment
xabi
McLewis
TalkingReckless
Abramovich
SuperFloren
Lord Spencer
RED
che
iNFINITY9910
Art Morte
B-Mac
the xcx
Lord Hades
Jay29
Swanhends
izzy
El Chelsea Fuerte
milanfan7
Albiceleste
Great Leader Sprucenuce
47 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point? - Page 4 Empty Re: Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point?

Post by Red Alert Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:47 am

Poor guy is just supporting Luis. Sad

Arrogant f*ckers. Hopefuly Luis scores a hattrick. Cool

Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point? - Page 4 Empty Re: Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point?

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:00 am

I always found this glory hunting bit as nonsense and just a defensive argument used by supporters who just feel they are being inferior.

These are the same fans who dont fill their stadiums to full capacity when Wigan or west brom visit but have sell out capacity when United or Liverpool visit.Isnt this the same glory hunting mentality they accuse others of?

As Mole said u are a true fan if u dont change the team u support and stick with them even when they are going through rough patches.

P.S.

To be fair to them most stoke fans were decent in the forum its just few idiots who slagged of the Liverpool fan as glory hunter from what i read.And u find these idiots in every forum tbh.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:39 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
B-Mac MUFC wrote:
Luca wrote:
B-Mac MUFC wrote:Portuguese Cheering for Brazil is even more annoying lol :facepalm:

i live in a heavily populated with Portuguese city in Ontario....and its ridiculous

especially during world cups after portugal has been eliminated they are suddenly all half brazilian lol

Sucks man
I know how it feels, being of Italian descent/Italy supporter just near Toronto myself
So much hate

This one guy told me he hated Italy
I asked him why?
He told me he hates Italy because everyone that was even a tiny bit Italian supports them
I told him thats the point, that is national team play..

He was an Asian Germany supporter who has never seen a bundesliga game in his life so I couldn't take him all that seriously
(I don't condemn him for that, just for using stupid logic and being a hateful prick)

haha yes you know how it is here then, the douche-bagery is enormous come world cup time...the good old 4 year fans that come outta the wood work every time a major tournament is on :facepalm:

who bash people who support the country of the ancestors meanwhile they are like indian and support spain or germany or something....as an example

Thats a bit rich coming from someone who is supporting United because someone else in his family supported them.Atleast these people u refer to decide for themselves whom to support because of passion not because they had no other choice.

your clearly upset because i said indian in my example, would you feel better if i said Chinese?...chill out br0

and why do you think my family members cheer for them, because they are from the greater manchester area, those being my family roots that is why i support them....again you need to chill it was just an example

and you missed my entire point anyways :coffee:
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:29 am

B-Mac MUFC wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:
B-Mac MUFC wrote:
Luca wrote:
B-Mac MUFC wrote:Portuguese Cheering for Brazil is even more annoying lol :facepalm:

i live in a heavily populated with Portuguese city in Ontario....and its ridiculous

especially during world cups after portugal has been eliminated they are suddenly all half brazilian lol

Sucks man
I know how it feels, being of Italian descent/Italy supporter just near Toronto myself
So much hate

I asked him why?
He told me he hates Italy because everyone that was even a tiny bit Italian supports them

He was an Asian Germany supporter who has never seen a bundesliga game in his life so I couldn't take him all that seriously
(I don't condemn him for that, just for using stupid logic and being a hateful prick)

haha yes you know how it is here then, the douche-bagery is enormous come world cup time...the good old 4 year fans that come outta the wood work every time a major tournament is on :facepalm:

who bash people who support the country of the ancestors meanwhile they are like indian and support spain or germany or something....as an example

Thats a bit rich coming from someone who is supporting United because someone else in his family supported them.Atleast these people u refer to decide for themselves whom to support because of passion not because they had no other choice.

your clearly upset because i said indian in my example, would you feel better if i said Chinese?...chill out br0

and why do you think my family members cheer for them, because they are from the greater manchester area, those being my family roots that is why i support them....again you need to chill it was just an example

No not upset because u used India as an example but think its ok to be a glory hunter supporter of club (support United from Canada anyone?) but its annoying when anyone support Germany or Spain from India or China.

Do u get annoyed the same way when fans from Canada support United despite not from Manchester?

It was a nonsense hypocrisy.Its good as long as its benifit your agenda (United) but its annoying if it doesnt despite being the scenario.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:48 am

Supporting a CLUB based in a country foreign to yours is different than supporting a COUNTRY that is foreign to yours. In my opinion it's kind of weird that some people support a country which they are not from. A club doesn't represent anything but the club, as is evident by the amount of internationals there are in top teams, but a country represents a group of people.

It was hilarious seeing all the Indians dressed in Argie shirts when Argentina arrived at Kolkata. Laughing

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:54 am

BeautifulGame wrote:
B-Mac MUFC wrote:
BeautifulGame wrote:
B-Mac MUFC wrote:
Luca wrote:

Sucks man
So much hate

I asked him why?

No not upset because u used India as an example but think its ok to be a glory hunter supporter of club (support United from Canada anyone?) but its annoying when anyone support Germany or Spain from India or China.

Do u get annoyed the same way when fans from Canada support United despite not from Manchester?

It was a nonsense hypocrisy.Its good as long as its benifit your agenda (United) but its annoying if it doesnt despite being the scenario.

did you miss the part where i said i had problem with them bashing people who support a country of there ancestry, when they are supporting a national team they have no relation to?...

meaning if they supported germany and england lost to germany at last years world cup....and some chinese guy came up to me with a germany jersey and started rubbin it in..... i was making the point that it is just worse when that kinda fan try's to rub it in, when your a decedent of that nation and he is just a guy who picked a powerhouse country cuz his country can't make it.

and no i don't get annoyed when canadians support United what kinda stupid question is that, club and country are completely different things, United doesn't represent a race and a way of life and beliefs of.

you took this way to seriously.....blew it way outta proportion for some reason
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:59 am

True football fans don't rub their victories on their opponent excessively. Unless the opponent is England, then it is fair game (I keed , I keed).
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChollaVille Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:32 am

Immaculate_Mole wrote:Start supporting a club because they are successful and then stop supporting them when they stop being successful....

That's my grandfather :lol!:
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:40 am

english_jewel wrote:Supporting a CLUB based in a country foreign to yours is different than supporting a COUNTRY that is foreign to yours. In my opinion it's kind of weird that some people support a country which they are not from. A club doesn't represent anything but the club, as is evident by the amount of internationals there are in top teams, but a country represents a group of people.

It was hilarious seeing all the Indians dressed in Argie shirts when Argentina arrived at Kolkata. Laughing

Are you aware of the fact that football fans in India show more affinity towards national teams ?That is infact mainly because of the world cups where you get a lot of viewership hence that'll lead to a fan rooting for a particular team..An average indian football fan has always been national team oriented..I have so many friends of mine who dont watch any league games but are fully aware about the national teams and their players..Its only in recent years that the EPL brand has had a huge influence over the fans hence the club support is picking up..

Hell when i was young i cheered Italy in the 2002 world cup cuz i showed a liking for their blue jerseys and i barely knew anything about football or bandwagoning for that matter..So that is wierd according to you ?Sorry jewel but its just reflects on your ignorance..

And obviously you cant recognize the passion of Kolkata football fans..Please educate yourself before giving misinformed opinions such as this..

Last edited by Surag.Blueguy on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:12 am

I supported Arsenal in the 03/04 season when I met Ian Wright and Liam Brady ... they told me I should support Arsenal and I was start struck lol, but I was 7, so I only said I was with Arsenal if anyone asked, started watching regularly in 05 , and as soon as I started they started breaking my heart, next season CL final, etc... but will always be an Arsenal fan till the day I die
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:53 am

english_jewel wrote:Supporting a CLUB based in a country foreign to yours is different than supporting a COUNTRY that is foreign to yours. In my opinion it's kind of weird that some people support a country which they are not from. A club doesn't represent anything but the club, as is evident by the amount of internationals there are in top teams, but a country represents a group of people.

What a load of nonsense.Plenty of clubs represent their culture Ethnicity and their community.Just because the amount of people a club represents is smaller than a country doesnt mean its doesnt have any identity.

How many Barca fans all over the world has any basic knowledge about Catalan movement and their identity.90 % dont have a clue before supporting the club.Anyone who supports a club or country here in most parts of the world are doing it for footballing reasons and has nothing else.So dont bring all this nonsense of representing or identity or stuff like that into this.

And Its not hilarious its just same as fans who dont have anything to do with Barca or Liverpool fans who have no affinity to the local area wearing their shirts in America and South east Asia.Just like anyone who supports Barca or Madrid for footballing reasons most support Spain or Germany for footballing reasons do.Or do u find anyone wearing a Barca shirt hilarious too?

BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:00 pm

bhends wrote:just about everyone here started out as a gloryhunter..
What drew you to your club in the first place? Simple: They were good
Not necessarily. Some people are drawn to a club because it is the club playing for their home town.

At least I have a good NT to support Very Happy
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Dont agree with the notion every is a gloryhunter at some stage.....

I already explained the Newcastle situation and the Barcelona situation started because Bobby Robson was thier manager and my dad always told me it doesnt matter who you support as long stick by them through thick and thin....

The other two teams i enjoy following in thier respecting leagues are Juventus and that was because thier kit reminded me of Newcastle and Dortmund simply because i was attracted to thier yellow and black kit....
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:15 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:

What a load of nonsense.Plenty of clubs represent their culture Ethnicity and their community.Just because the amount of people a club represents is smaller than a country doesnt mean its doesnt have any identity.

How many Barca fans all over the world has any basic knowledge about Catalan movement and their identity.90 % dont have a clue before supporting the club.Anyone who supports a club or country here in most parts of the world are doing it for footballing reasons and has nothing else.So dont bring all this nonsense of representing or identity or stuff like that into this.

And Its not hilarious its just same as fans who dont have anything to do with Barca or Liverpool fans who have no affinity to the local area wearing their shirts in America and South east Asia.Just like anyone who supports Barca or Madrid for footballing reasons most support Spain or Germany for footballing reasons do.Or do u find anyone wearing a Barca shirt hilarious too?

Sometimes supporting your own country is like playing poker without any money.No fun.

To address the issue , you support your country however far they go. Spain is the second team I ever supported and that was because of Morientes , Raul, Hierro and Casillas. Them and Real Madrid got me hooked on football. They didn't have to win the world cup , for me to support them , but I did support them for winning , specifically for beatng Ireland in WC 2002. Glory hunting has nothing to do with ethnicity or nationality , it is about not being loyal to the teams you support orginally.

It is about abandoning those teams the minute they start losing.

For example I started Supporting Real Madrid after their Champions leauge win , when Zidane scored, with all the other glory hunters, I didn't stop supporting them when they didn't win a title for the next five years.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ă–MARz Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Lionel Messi wrote:When you hunt for glory. :coffee:
dont tell me you worked that one out yourself!

Ă–MARz
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:13 am

Lionel messi isn't a glory hunter actually. Just putting that out
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:25 am

Supporting City now. Unless you were a city fan before.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:18 am

I was drawn to my club after Michael Owen scored that goal vs Argentina :facepalm:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:37 am

Sepi wrote:I was drawn to my club after Michael Owen scored that goal vs Argentina :facepalm:

I was drawn to Inter cause I thought Ronaldo was the coolest dude on the planet...which is the same reason most of the Inter board of this forum are now Inter fans...

In reality most of the people on this forum have stories similar to this...Even Che admitted he (at least started out) as a bit of a glory hunter (/hipster), just guessing by his age I'd say the late 90s/Early 00s success period of Valencia probably played a big part in his becoming a Valencia fan....but is anyone going to go call him a gloryhunter now? Hell fking no, cause he's stuck with them ever since...

Im sure plenty of people will come up with stories like "ITS NOT CAUSE THEY WERE WINNING I SWEAR!!" "I JUST LIKE THE COLOR GREEN!!!" "THEIR CREST CAPTIVATED ME!!" "I FELT A MAGICAL CONNECTION!!" when in reality everyone's got the same story here...95% of us became fans of our teams either because they won stuff or because had a player (or players) that we thought were really cool etc etc...i.e gloryhunting

People honestly shouldn't talk about gloryhunting City fans when in reality the same reasons YOU started to support YOUR club are pretty much the exact reasons the next generation of City fans are going to support City..
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:40 am

bhends wrote:
Sepi wrote:I was drawn to my club after Michael Owen scored that goal vs Argentina :facepalm:

I was drawn to Inter cause I thought Ronaldo was the coolest dude on the planet...which is the same reason most of the Inter board of this forum are now Inter fans...

In reality most of the people on this forum have stories similar to this...Even Che admitted he (at least started out) as a bit of a glory hunter (/hipster), just guessing by his age I'd say the late 90s/Early 00s success period of Valencia probably played a big part in his becoming a Valencia fan....but is anyone going to go call him a gloryhunter now? Hell fking no, cause he's stuck with them ever since...

Im sure plenty of people will come up with stories like "ITS NOT CAUSE THEY WERE WINNING I SWEAR!!" "I JUST LIKE THE COLOR GREEN!!!" "THEIR CREST CAPTIVATED ME!!" "I FELT A MAGICAL CONNECTION!!" when in reality everyone's got the same story here...95% of us became fans of our teams either because they won stuff or because had a player (or players) that we thought were really cool etc etc...i.e gloryhunting

People honestly shouldn't talk about gloryhunting City fans when in reality the same reasons YOU started to support YOUR club are pretty much the exact reasons the next generation of City fans are going to support City..

Just touching on that last point you made, it will be interesting to see how City fans embrace this new wave of new fans their marketing team are clearly trying to attract, since they have always given us grief of having so many glory hunters!
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:47 am

Mole nailed it.. The one thing I can't stand is when people call me a glory hunter for supporting Real because of our 9 European Cups, since I wasn't even alive for most of them.. As if I can jump in my time machine and go back in time and celebrate winning it 5 years in a row

If I was so much about glory why not come on this forum and say I'm a Barca fan since they're winning everything right now?? No I'm not taking shots at Barca fans, I'm just saying
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:52 am

All the "Manchester united fans" in my country.

I started supporting LFC in 2004. During that time we only United games on TV, But then coincidentally its was Manu vs Liverpool that day [April i guess] .. Liverpool won 1-0 and i thought Gary Neville was a c*nt.. So LFC it is .. You could in my country you are destined to support a top 4 club in PL.

Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:55 am

Devil-Is-Red wrote:Just touching on that last point you made, it will be interesting to see how City fans embrace this new wave of new fans their marketing team are clearly trying to attract, since they have always given us grief of having so many glory hunters!

I often wonder how local fans feel about longer distance fans...Are Manchester residing United fans bitter towards foreign fans? Barca is often viewed as more than a football club, as a symbol of Catalan pride etc, does that mean Catalunyan (or Catalan?) feel resentment towards people from other parts of Spain cheering on Barca? (Let alone the rest of the world etc) the story goes on and on the same way for all big clubs...I've just never bothered to dig deeply enough for an answer
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:05 am

bhends wrote:
Devil-Is-Red wrote:Just touching on that last point you made, it will be interesting to see how City fans embrace this new wave of new fans their marketing team are clearly trying to attract, since they have always given us grief of having so many glory hunters!

I often wonder how local fans feel about longer distance fans...Are Manchester residing United fans bitter towards foreign fans? Barca is often viewed as more than a football club, as a symbol of Catalan pride etc, does that mean Catalunyan (or Catalan?) feel resentment towards people from other parts of Spain cheering on Barca? (Let alone the rest of the world etc) the story goes on and on the same way for all big clubs...I've just never bothered to dig deeply enough for an answer

I doubt local fans would mind long distance fans as long as they're not just supporting the club when its having success.. It's the glory hunters who they would despise imo.. As long as you have good intentions you should be straight..

Unless its a psycho jealous fan who thinks of their club like a girlfriend and doesn't want anyone having her (in this case the club being very popular and having a lot of fans) lol
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:03 am

bhends wrote:

Like I stated before, times and situations like these often tend to bring supporters out trying to justify their reasons for supporting the club. Whether you started to support them when they were down or winning, it shouldn't make a difference.

Liverpool for example, got a lot of fans after our CL win in 2005. Do I hold it against them and call them glory hunters? Not at all. If anything, I appreciate the fact that outsiders have recognized and acknowledged how well we played.

I don't disagree with Mole's stance, but I think some people do take football a little too seriously. I'm not saying go ahead and jump teams all the time, but those 'die-hard' supporters really need to chill every now and then. Football has never been a part of my family, immediate or distant. The same can be said for millions of foreign fans. The culture could be relatively new for a lot of them. Furthermore, sports like cricket until this last decade were primarily country based as opposed to club based. As such, it takes some getting used to.

Finally, who cares whether someone is a glory hunter or not. My method of dealing with those people is to ignore them.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:05 am

bhends wrote:

It shouldn't matter to be honest. Considering most top teams are not entirely based on a single nationality or ethnicity, it would be stupid for local fans to look down upon foreigners.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next