Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point?

+43
Nishankly
LeSwagg James
FennecFox7
Ă–MARz
rwo power
Ali
S
ChollaVille
Red Alert
BeautifulGame
The Verminator
Le Samourai
Sir Psycho
Luca
BarrileteCosmico
zizzle
Khaled
Lex
poolsupporter
baresi
Highburied
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
InvalidComment
xabi
McLewis
TalkingReckless
Abramovich
SuperFloren
Lord Spencer
RED
che
iNFINITY9910
Art Morte
B-Mac
the xcx
Lord Hades
Jay29
Swanhends
izzy
El Chelsea Fuerte
milanfan7
Albiceleste
Great Leader Sprucenuce
47 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point? - Page 3 Empty Re: Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point?

Post by Lex Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:54 am

Manchester City fans. Used to be as rare as Mewtwo in the days when Boro and Wigan dealt out thrashings weekly. Suddenly, they get a rich pimp, they win a trophy by throwing half a billion squid into the team and my FB and Twitter are littered with "Manchester is blue" and "there's only one team in Manchester, and it's not United" etc etc etc

Makes me want to vomit

Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point? - Page 3 Empty Re: Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point?

Post by Lex Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 am

Case in point, how many La Liga fans now follow (or closely monitor) City because Aguero and Silva are there

No need to see a show of hands, we know who you are
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:02 am

When i started supporting Barca i was 9 or 10 years old ( don't know why, but on by School agenda i"99/00" i had the teams that i support written on the cover, Barca was one of them lol Razz, i still don't know why i started supporting them)!

But what i'm sure about that @13 years old, in 2003 i started following Barca news & watching their games regularly! ( note: laliga wasn't broadcasted in my country or @ least i didn't have the channel before 2003../ no internet @home)

In 2003, Barca were 3 seasons without a single trophy, we had just 1 CL & 16 La Liga compared to 21 La Liga & "4" CL we have now!!So i don't think trohpies/Barca form was the reason!!

anyway, Visca el Barca <3

Last edited by Khaledbarca on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:05 am

Have to love how these types of thread tend to bring out people who feel the need to justify their reasons for supporting the team they do. lol
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:06 am

Lex wrote:Case in point, how many La Liga fans now follow (or closely monitor) City because Aguero and Silva are there

No need to see a show of hands, we know who you are

I watched some matches for Man City last season becuz of Yaya & Silva ( both are class players) i enjoy watching these players (add to them Aguero noww!!)
anyway, in EPL i prefer Arsenal becuz i like how they play & i have been following them since 2001.. can't say i'am a fan, cuz when they lose i don't care.. but i prefer Arsenal to win the EPL, same for Roma in Italy & Ajax in Holland!

Khaled
Khaled
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:10 am

most of us were glory hunters / bang wagonners at one point when we started following our teams
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:33 am

bhends wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:I think it's worth noting how 99% of foreign fans tend to support one of the bigger clubs in the league they watch.

Exactly.

Largely because a few years ago, before twitter and facebook, outside of the big teams you could not interact/keep up/see games of the smaller teams

ESPN would only broadcast the marquee games from a North American stand point...they have gotten much better now tho

now with twitter and facebook you can keep up to date with your blackburns, fulhams, evertons etc etc. in real time....I think we will see a lot more growth in teams fan bases outside the big clubs now because of the accessibility, give it a few years

B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:34 am

A non-Brazilian cheering for Brazil :coffee:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:38 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:A non-Brazilian cheering for Brazil :coffee:
FFS, this all day, then on top of that, a non-Brazilian cheering for Brazil, rooting against Argentina. :facepalm:

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:52 am

Portuguese Cheering for Brazil is even more annoying lol :facepalm:

i live in a heavily populated with Portuguese city in Ontario....and its ridiculous

especially during world cups after portugal has been eliminated they are suddenly all half brazilian lol

Last edited by B-Mac MUFC on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:57 am; edited 2 times in total
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:53 am

B-Mac MUFC wrote:
bhends wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:I think it's worth noting how 99% of foreign fans tend to support one of the bigger clubs in the league they watch.

Exactly.

Largely because a few years ago, before twitter and facebook, outside of the big teams you could not interact/keep up/see games of the smaller teams

ESPN would only broadcast the marquee games from a North American stand point...they have gotten much better now tho

now with twitter and facebook you can keep up to date with your blackburns, fulhams, evertons etc etc. in real time....I think we will see a lot more growth in teams fan bases outside the big clubs now because of the accessibility, give it a few years

Meh, whatever the excuse, it doesn't change the fact that there are tons of foreign supporters who throw around the gloryhunting/bandwagon accusations without having a look in the mirror. Even with all the coverage now available, I doubt we'd even see someone from India, for example, supporting a Stoke, Blackburn or West Ham.

Too many people start watching football, supporting a team and develop some elitist attitude towards those who may not know as much. Pretending like they've been supporting the team through generations.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:02 am

I don't understand how this is glory hunting. So should someone who is from a weak footballing country only root for his/her country. I agree that the automatic magnetism Brazil holds do attract band wagoners. It does not mean that anyone who supports Brazil from outside Brazil is a glory hunter.

Although, I agree that if you were from a strong footballing country, you should only root for that country. Which makes the Portuguese who support Brazil pathetic. And by the way, that is mostly a myth.

@Lionel Messi;

So a Brazil fan should root for Argentina for example :facepalm:

By the way I am not a Brazil fan. I am an Italy fan, because Italian teams offered a contract for my father. And because Italians were the nicest people to my grandfather who worked as a servant for an engineering company when he was 8 years old. And got stick from everyone but the Italians and Americans.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:07 am

Lord Spencer wrote:
Although, I agree that if you were from a strong footballing country, you should only root for that country. Which makes the Portuguese who support Brazil pathetic. And by the way, that is mostly a myth.

what is a myth??
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:09 am

That a lot of Portuguese support Brazil. At lease according to the Portuguese people I know. You might know something else.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:14 am

Lord Spencer wrote:That a lot of Portuguese support Brazil. At lease according to the Portuguese people I know. You might know something else.

yes well most of them are decedents of immigrants, i have no doubt that Portuguese people from the homeland do not support Brazil, but the Canadian-ized portuguese people around here are the worst for it. many of them just teenagers who don't have a clue of the history of the country there family is from anyways, they literally are the definition of glory hunters they drive around with a portuguese flag on the window of one side and a brazil flag on the other side....car flags become very popular around here when world cup and euros start.
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:29 am

Lord Spencer wrote:That a lot of Portuguese support Brazil. At lease according to the Portuguese people I know. You might know something else.
The Portuguese immigrants I know in the US support Argentina against Brazil Razz

They apparently think there is some sort of rivalry between Brazil and Portugal, so whatever is bad for Brazil is good for Portugal.

Although my experience seems to differ from the one above in that these are either immigrants or first generation americans.

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:33 am

B-Mac MUFC wrote:Portuguese Cheering for Brazil is even more annoying lol :facepalm:

i live in a heavily populated with Portuguese city in Ontario....and its ridiculous

especially during world cups after portugal has been eliminated they are suddenly all half brazilian lol

Sucks man
I know how it feels, being of Italian descent/Italy supporter just near Toronto myself
So much hate

This one guy told me he hated Italy
I asked him why?
He told me he hates Italy because everyone that was even a tiny bit Italian supports them
I told him thats the point, that is national team play..

He was an Asian Germany supporter who has never seen a bundesliga game in his life so I couldn't take him all that seriously
(I don't condemn him for that, just for using stupid logic and being a hateful prick)

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:38 am

Luca wrote:
B-Mac MUFC wrote:Portuguese Cheering for Brazil is even more annoying lol :facepalm:

Sucks man
I know how it feels, being of Italian descent/Italy supporter just near Toronto myself
So much hate

I asked him why?
He told me he hates Italy because everyone that was even a tiny bit Italian supports them

He was an Asian Germany supporter who has never seen a bundesliga game in his life so I couldn't take him all that seriously
(I don't condemn him for that, just for using stupid logic and being a hateful prick)

haha yes you know how it is here then, the douche-bagery is enormous come world cup time...the good old 4 year fans that come outta the wood work every time a major tournament is on :facepalm:

who bash people who support the country of the ancestors meanwhile they are like indian and support spain or germany or something....as an example

B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:41 am

B-Mac MUFC wrote:
Luca wrote:

Sucks man
So much hate

I asked him why?

haha yes you know how it is here then, the douche-bagery is enormous come world cup time...the good old 4 year fans that come outta the wood work every time a major tournament is on :facepalm:

who bash people who support the country of the ancestors meanwhile they are like indian and support spain or germany or something....as an example

Spot on, world cup and euro time is always bitter sweet in that sense but really I just laugh it all off

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Psycho Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:42 am

I have family in Portugal and I don't mind Portuguese fans supporting Brazil (vice-versa), because at the end of the day were all related, were all familiar with each other, hardly any barriers between the two...

Other than 5 World Cups.. jk

Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:49 am

Lord Spencer wrote:

I don't understand how this is glory hunting. So should someone who is from a weak footballing country only root for his/her country. I agree that the automatic magnetism Brazil holds do attract band wagoners. It does not mean that anyone who supports Brazil from outside Brazil is a glory hunter.

@Lionel Messi;

So a Brazil fan should root for Argentina for example :facepalm:

By the way I am not a Brazil fan. I am an Italy fan, because Italian teams offered a contract for my father. And because Italians were the nicest people to my grandfather who worked as a servant for an engineering company when he was 8 years old. And got stick from everyone but the Italians and Americans.
Not root for them, but not necessarily against us

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:54 am

You know whats more annouying? Fake fans who know nothing about the squads or the sport. During the World Cup especially those glory hunters who go support Brazil for example and yet don't know half of the squad.

A typical answer:

"They have the most cups, they are the best"

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:54 am

B-Mac MUFC wrote:
Luca wrote:

Sucks man
So much hate

I asked him why?

[b]who bash people who support the country of the ancestors meanwhile they are like indian and support spain or germany or something....as an example

Dude just because a guy is Indian he can't support spain without being a bandwagoner.I dont live in India and I dont live in spain but I've supported spain since I was 6. Why? world cup 2002 , Spain vs Ireland , one of the most exciting matches I remeber watching and the first Spain match I pesonally ever watched and the second football match that I can remember.At that time and for 6 years later I was the only guy I knew who suppoted Spain , but today I would get labelled as a bandwagoner by you.

It is not as clearcut as support the country of your ancestors , epecially those of us who live in ultra small countries. A bandwagoner is someone who supports a team because it is winning not someone who supports a winning team.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:25 am

I myself liked Brazil when i was 8yrs old. I liked watching them play in the world cup but i couldn't watch teams like Arsenal on the t.v coz we didn't and still don't have foxtel and i didn't know what the internet was back in the day. In addition i never really liked football too much.

Fastforward to when i turned about 13-14, i decided to watch the CL final between Arsenal and Barce. I knew arsenal were a big club but i didn't know about their history, nor about the shape they were in heading into the nexxt season, nor about what position they were in the table.

After that match i decided to follow them a little, seeing the highlights, who played good and who didn't, how we lined up and what formation and i also checked to see how our competitors were doing.

About two years ago i found out you could watch live matches online so now every weekend and midweek i wake up between 1 and 6:30am to watch arsenal play.

So basically you can support a big club and not be a glory hunter
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:42 am

B-Mac MUFC wrote:
Luca wrote:

Sucks man
So much hate

I asked him why?

Thats a bit rich coming from someone who is supporting United because someone else in his family supported them.Atleast these people u refer to decide for themselves whom to support because of passion not because they had no other choice.

BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:47 am

Poor guy is just supporting Luis. Sad

Arrogant f*ckers. Hopefuly Luis scores a hattrick. Cool
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next