Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point?

+43
Nishankly
LeSwagg James
FennecFox7
ÖMARz
rwo power
Ali
S
ChollaVille
Red Alert
BeautifulGame
The Verminator
Le Samourai
Sir Psycho
Luca
BarrileteCosmico
zizzle
Khaled
Lex
poolsupporter
baresi
Highburied
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
InvalidComment
xabi
McLewis
TalkingReckless
Abramovich
SuperFloren
Lord Spencer
RED
che
iNFINITY9910
Art Morte
B-Mac
the xcx
Lord Hades
Jay29
Swanhends
izzy
El Chelsea Fuerte
milanfan7
Albiceleste
Great Leader Sprucenuce
47 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point? Empty Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point?

Post by Guest Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:15 pm

so there is this tradition, that before each game....a Liverpool fan goes to forums of opposition team and asks them questions about their club, us, and the game, which looks like an interview and makes a good reading pre-game. For the upcoming game vs Stoke, this 16 year old from Amsterdam, went to Stoke forums and very politely made a thread about it and shared his questions for "Spying Kop". However, I just read some of the responses to the thread, and how he's being called a c*nt for being a glory hunter, being accused of having no identity since he is Dutch and supports an English team, multiple users have asked him why doesn't he support Tranmere Rovers or Stockport instead...and half of the posters in that thread are ripping this 16 year old dude a new one because they see him as a glory hunter, supporting a big club instead of likes of Stoke.

Is it really glory hunting though? Why doesn't a random dude from Arizona don't go supporting Fulham or Chievo for example. Let's say he indeed is a glory hunter (though I can't see how since in 16 years of his existence he's probably only seen the dominance of United and Fergie, and now Barca), what do glory hunters gain from chasing glory. Glory of association? In real life (and not the forums), do you really go around and mock and piss off friends who support opposition team when your team wins something meaningful? Is it the main reason you support the team, so you could express it as personal success when glory times come?

Or is it just blind hatred of relatively mid-table and smaller teams towards bigger sides and their fan base that result in the "Support your local club you glory hunting c*nt" argument

Back to top Go down

Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point? Empty Re: Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Start supporting a club because they are successful and then stop supporting them when they stop being successful....
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point? Empty Re: Glory Hunting || How do you define it and what is the point?

Post by Albiceleste Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:19 pm

When you hunt for glory. :coffee:

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by milanfan7 Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:Start supporting a club because they are successful and then stop supporting them when they stop being successful....
This. I can't say that I didn't start supporting Milan when they were winning,because I did,but I didn't stop supporting them when they(we) were going through some rough time. This it the main reason why I respect arsenal fans more than others.
milanfan7
milanfan7
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:Start supporting a club because they are successful and then stop supporting them when they stop being successful....

Definition of a gloryhunter. You nailed it.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Milanfan7 wrote:This. I can't say that I didn't start supporting Milan when they were winning,because I did,but I didn't stop supporting them when they(we) were going through some rough time.This it the main reason why I respect arsenal fans more than others.

Oh you dog you. Wink
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:35 pm

just about everyone here started out as a gloryhunter..

if your team got relegated tomorrow you'd still support them...but thats because you've been supporting them for 10 years

What drew you to your club in the first place? Simple: They were good

No one stumbles across fox soccer channel and is immediately drawn to Fulham.. they are drawn to teams that win and that have star/famous players, simple as
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:38 pm

I started supporting Newcastle because i liked the name and the badge so no not really.....

I was 3 or 4 lol i did'nt understand things like winning and such like.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Yes, it was just a convenient coincidence that the beginning of your support coincided with the time of Andy Cole/Alan Shearer, when Newcastle was a top 5 team in the EPL...
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:45 pm

I've been on a Stoke forum before. A large percentage of their fans were cretins - when we went their last year, a lot of them wanted to abuse Aaron Ramsey during the game because of the broken leg incident. Disturbing stuff.

Anyway, Mole was pretty much spot on with the definition of a glory hunter. You don't actually see them that often; mostly it's the young fans than jump ship onto another successful club. Let's face it, the reason why we started supporting these clubs in the first place is because they were successful.

There is weight to the argument of fans of smaller clubs being the ones to instigate the glory hunting argument. I'm sure most of them feel they are better supporters since they've stuck with their team through not-so-good times, and they feel contempt for the fans of bigger teams who don't quite have to go through the same thing. And there are some fans of bigger clubs who act pompous when they're successful.

That doesn't justify their malicious behaviour of course. Who you support is your choice, at the end of the day. Football is a sport meant to be enjoyed.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Sepi wrote:so there is this tradition, that before each game....a Liverpool fan goes to forums of opposition team and asks them questions about their club, us, and the game, which looks like an interview and makes a good reading pre-game. For the upcoming game vs Stoke, this 16 year old from Amsterdam, went to Stoke forums and very politely made a thread about it and shared his questions for "Spying Kop". However, I just read some of the responses to the thread, and how he's being called a c*nt for being a glory hunter, being accused of having no identity since he is Dutch and supports an English team, multiple users have asked him why doesn't he support Tranmere Rovers or Stockport instead...and half of the posters in that thread are ripping this 16 year old dude a new one because they see him as a glory hunter, supporting a big club instead of likes of Stoke.

I bet he was in a British forum. For example in BBC 606, it was impossible to say that you were living in a country anything other than England because according to them that automatically meant you were a gloryhunter because you didn't support the local club, because you don't go to matches and therefore I'm a better fan than you blah blah

They just say that to make themselves be the only small 'good' supporting lads out of a multi-million fan base, yet they compare fan bases to see who's club is bigger than who's. Laughing

Or it's used by fans of smaller clubs because they think that they're doing a big favor to the world by supporting a small club rather than a big club and therefore you can't talk to them because they support a sh1tty club.

All in all an international forum is filled with more understanding people, like this one. :king:

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Sorry but do you people honestly think its just a coincidence that this forum is about 95% full of people who support traditional power clubs?

And the 5% who don't support a power club, in all likelihood either:
A) Lived and/or have family directly descendant from the City of the team they support
or B) Started supporting the team during a period of success..

Lets be real here...
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Lionel Messi wrote:When you hunt for glory. :coffee:

you would know that well wouldnt you :coffee:
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:49 pm

diptiman wrote:

You had to do it.... :facepalm:
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:51 pm

yo guys, dont feed the troll.
Moles statement pretty much summed it up.
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:51 pm

bhends wrote:Sorry but do you people honestly think its just a coincidence that this forum is about 95% full of people who support traditional power clubs?

A) Lived and/or have family directly descendant from the City of the team they support

Lets be real here...

So your definition of a gloryhunter is anyone who supports a big club? Because I don't see anyone here denying that if their club didn't have the magnificent history and/or weren't going through a successful period currently, they wouldn't be supporting their respective club now.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:54 pm

bhends wrote:Sorry but do you people honestly think its just a coincidence that this forum is about 95% full of people who support traditional power clubs?

Lets be real here...

Well in all honsety, i'm more passionate about Crystal Palace than Madrid.
But that's just me.
Palace fan by birth, inherited being a Madrid fan from family.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:57 pm

bhends wrote:Yes, it was just a convenient coincidence that the beginning of your support coincided with the time of Andy Cole/Alan Shearer, when Newcastle was a top 5 team in the EPL...

First ever NUFC game i saw was a 1-1 draw with Manchester Utd the thing that i remembered was the badge and the name i was nearly 4 years old ffs you dont take notice of league tables and how succesful a club is when you are 4 Laughing

And besides glory hunting over a side that has'nt won anything since the 60s? :facepalm:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:00 pm

in addition to this....start supporting a club, when you were known to support a different one before

myself personally, i started supporting United at a young age, my family are all from England, me and my sister essentially are the only was born in Canada in the family....my Uncles all are United supporters, so I was really groomed into one and had no other choice lol I grew up watching games in pubs from about 5 years old....I went on a old trafford tour at the age of 9 on a visit to family and from then on it has just grown into a never ending love

and as for supporting my local club, i do support Toronto FC (never made playoffs)
and in the other sports if you know anything about them, Toronto Maple Leafs (hockey), Toronto Blue Jays (Baseball)...and if you know anything about these teams, glory hunters do not support them haha (Leafs last Stanley Cup 1967, haven't made playoffs in 7 years...Blue Jays last world series 1993, haven't made playoffs since 1993)

Last edited by B-Mac MUFC on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:
bhends wrote:Yes, it was just a convenient coincidence that the beginning of your support coincided with the time of Andy Cole/Alan Shearer, when Newcastle was a top 5 team in the EPL...

First ever NUFC game i saw was a 1-1 draw with Manchester Utd the thing that i remembered was the badge and the name i was nearly 4 years old ffs you dont take notice of league tables and how succesful a club is when you are 4 Laughing

And besides glory hunting over a side that has'nt won anything since the 60s? :facepalm:

And you still support Newcastle...certainly not a top 4 side now are they...I don't see what the problem is.

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:05 pm

diptiman wrote:

:brickwall:

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:22 pm

I don't think a little bit of gloryhunting is a negative thing when you first start supporting a club outside your local area.

I started supporting Liverpool in the early 2000's because of Sami Hyypiä playing there. So why not Bolton Wanderers where another Finn Jussi Jääskeläinen has been playing in goal for years? Because Liverpool were the bigger team, more exciting, playing constantly in Europe and all that. So yeah, I'd definately say that there was a little bit of gloryhunting involved when I began supporting LFC.

But I don't think that's a negative thing, it's rather natural, especially when you're in your 'teens. Gloryhunting gets bad if it gets to a point Mole described, where you start changing your support towards clubs that are currently the best.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:54 pm

Mole said it in one sentence Razz

if u want to know more.. go ask Huntsman Wink
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

http://twitter.com/iNFINITY9910

Back to top Go down

Post by che Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Lets be real here...

QFT

i'll gladly admit i'm somewhat of a glory hunter (though probably a lot less than most people on this forum :coffee:), in addition to being a hipster because i don't support any of the spanish main stream teams... now excuse me, i'm going to buy a macbook and grow an ironic beard
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Basically everything that Mole and Bhends said.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next