drakefyre
Red Alert
RedOranje
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
12 posters

Go down

Football Players & military service Empty Football Players & military service

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Just been reading that Park Chu-young will only be able to play for Arsenal for 2 years before having to return home to do 2 years national service.

We will eventually have the same issue with Dong-Won. It got me thinking about other players who have had the same issue.

I remember reading years ago about a goal keeper who served in some special forces. Forgot his name, I think he was from one of the Scandanavian countries.

Anyway what other notable players have had to do the same ?.
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Football Players & military service Empty Re: Football Players & military service

Post by RedOranje Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Football Players & military service Everton5_1938542i

Tim Howard? Playing for Everton is basically the same as being stuck in a foxhole...
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Football Players & military service Empty Re: Football Players & military service

Post by Red Alert Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:22 pm

:lol!:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Bert Trautmann
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by :{Mr.Mustachio! Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:57 pm

In Italy National service was compulsory untill not so long ago; the generation of ADP, Totti etc all did it.

I once read somewhere that a former Livorno (Livorno is notoriously Anti-Facist, infact it's very much Comunist in outlook) captain was a leader in the Italian resistance and was actually killed fighting in the Second World war if I remember correctly.

Not sure if it's true or his name. Wigglesworth may though.
:{Mr.Mustachio!
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:13 pm

It was wigglesworth himself ...
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by :{Mr.Mustachio! Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Also, Giampiero Boniperti was in the Alpini.
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:53 pm

GyansDancingBoots wrote:Just been reading that Park Chu-young will only be able to play for Arsenal for 2 years before having to return home to do 2 years national service.

We will eventually have the same issue with Dong-Won. It got me thinking about other players who have had the same issue.

I remember reading years ago about a goal keeper who served in some special forces. Forgot his name, I think he was from one of the Scandanavian countries.

Anyway what other notable players have had to do the same ?.

if South Korea does good in Olympics they both might be exempt....Dong-Won will be in the olympic squad if they qualify.....Park could be on one of the 3 over age people...

because the 2004 team was which included Man U's Park
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:59 pm

I LoL'd at this tweet...

#Arsenal agree deal to send Sebastian Squilacci to the South Korean army to serve the two year national service on behalf of Chu Young Park
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:05 pm

highburied wrote:I LoL'd at this tweet...

#Arsenal agree deal to send Sebastian Squilacci to the South Korean army to serve the two year national service on behalf of Chu Young Park
Only for him to mysteriously disappear on the border of the DMZ in a routine patrol...
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:23 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
highburied wrote:I LoL'd at this tweet...

Only for him to mysteriously disappear on the border of the DMZ in a routine patrol...

Hahahaha, amazing.

Leave it to Arsenal to buy TWO players who have to leave for military service. As if regular injuries weren't enough.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:45 pm

highburied wrote:It was wigglesworth himself ...
Are you the real highburied? Very Happy How are you doing mate? Very Happy I missed our fights :lol!:
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Serge Gnabry Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 pm

2 years is a long time.
German players had to do the same (until we got rid of conscription this year).

They had the possibility to do social work instead of Bundeswehr though. Still, when they were not busy with school, games and training they had to work at hospitals or nursing homes. Pretty stressful.

I know that a kid from Hansa Rostock was helping clean the buttocks of old guys at my great-grandma's nursing home here in Rostock. Very Happy
Serge Gnabry
Serge Gnabry
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by ChollaVille Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:12 pm

That was big problem in Ex-Yugoslavia.
FK "Partizan" was military club, and if some player did not wanna to sign for them, he had to stop his career and go to army. LOL
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:23 pm

babun1024 wrote:
highburied wrote:It was wigglesworth himself ...
Are you the real highburied? Very Happy How are you doing mate? Very Happy I missed our fights :lol!:

No the old highburied died in an accident.. in the same time i was in the hospital needed a heart... before he past away took his heart and replaced with mine... so i became a gunner automatically and i love some weird stuff ... its kinda strange isnt it?
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down