Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

+17
Freeza
Khaled
Dnmac4
Albiceleste
Pedram
H.A.
Kevin_Muscat
bloodless
Mamad
alexjanosik
The Franchise
StrugaRock
Doc
Sushi Master
Mr Nick09
Great Leader Sprucenuce
EarlyPrototype
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:40 pm

I understand that you can never have too many WC players... but this one really befuddles me. You guys already have Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Mascherano, Thiago and even Afellay. Why Cesc? On the other hand, Alves has looked terrible all summer and Abidal+Puyol are not getting younger. If anything, i would have expected a big signing on defense. And it's not like Cesc is 19-21 years old and can wait a year or two as a super-sub... he's going to expect to play a lot now.

Someone enlighten me please.


Last edited by sportsczy on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by EarlyPrototype Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Cesc is a magnificent player but I agree they should be spending on a CB.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo
Posts : 7700
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Pep obsession is a better term tbh.

I dont count the players because they are his friends why would'nt you want your friend playing alongside you?

But Pep is the one that causes this obsession tbh.

Btw i agree.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 68923
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Is Pep running scared or something? that is a very erratic signing by all accounts.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 31539
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:54 pm

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:Is Pep running scared or something? that is a very erratic signing by all accounts.

I would agree if he suddenly wanted him and Barca signed him Because of being scared of Madrid's potential....

But this has been going on for 2 years.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 68923
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:
St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:Is Pep running scared or something? that is a very erratic signing by all accounts.

I would agree if he suddenly wanted him and Barca signed him Because of being scared of Madrid's potential....

But this has been going on for 2 years.

Hmmm... he must have one of Pep's old syringes stashed away.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Sushi Master Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:02 pm

It's also part of the Madrid-Barca dick measuring contest. Oh, you signed Coentrao? We sign Sanchez. Oh, Sahin? Fabregas. etc

It's like the Cold War, but taking out the nukes and the awesome Russian accents.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea
Posts : 9392
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Doc Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Sushi Master wrote:It's also part of the Madrid-Barca dick measuring contest. Oh, you signed Coentrao? We sign Sanchez. Oh, Sahin? Fabregas. etc

It's like the Cold War, but taking out the nukes and the awesome Russian accents.

That sort of thinking I would expect from Laporta but certainly not Rossel. I mirror Mole's thoughts and think this is a Pep obsession going on here and not necessarily Barcelona as a whole. Also, Sahin was a necessity, Fabregas isn't. He really really isn't a necessity...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 15685
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:15 pm

It's important to know that Rosell never wanted cesc, he couldnt care less about him.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 31539
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:18 pm

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:It's important to know that Rosell never wanted cesc, he couldnt care less about him.

I was going to mention this lol, one of the reasons it did'nt happen last year was because Rosell blocked it.

The main reason its taken so long is because theres a split in the Barca heirachy (sp?) over Fabregas, some wanted him at all costs ( Pep Camp) and some did'nt want him( Rosell Camp)

I was in the Rosell Camp Very Happy
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG
Posts : 68923
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by StrugaRock Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Cesc is a great addition to their squad, but they really need to find another Puyol, he is their true leader that organizes their defense perfectly.

Let's be honest, Pique might be top 5/10 CB in the world but he isn't a leader.
StrugaRock
StrugaRock
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo
Posts : 1267
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:
St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:It's important to know that Rosell never wanted cesc, he couldnt care less about him.

I was going to mention this lol, one of the reasons it did'nt happen last year was because Rosell blocked it.

The main reason its taken so long is because theres a split in the Barca heirachy (sp?) over Fabregas, some wanted him at all costs ( Pep Camp) and some did'nt want him( Rosell Camp)

I was in the Rosell Camp Very Happy

smells like it's going to blow up soon, we will be right there to pick up Thiago Laughing

Mazinho knows what's good.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 31539
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Sushi Master Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:21 pm

Doc wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:It's also part of the Madrid-Barca dick measuring contest. Oh, you signed Coentrao? We sign Sanchez. Oh, Sahin? Fabregas. etc

It's like the Cold War, but taking out the nukes and the awesome Russian accents.

That sort of thinking I would expect from Laporta but certainly not Rossel. I mirror Mole's thoughts and think this is a Pep obsession going on here and not necessarily Barcelona as a whole. Also, Sahin was a necessity, Fabregas isn't. He really really isn't a necessity...
Granero, Gago and Lass I guess are considered shit then. Alonso is getting old. Khedira sometimes gets injured. So Sahin's needed.

Keita, Afellay, Thiagod are shit or not good enough. Xavi is getting old. Iniesta can get injured. So Fabregas is needed.

That's only how Barca or Madrid think, though. Most would kill to have those bench players in their first 11.

If Rossel didn't want it, he'd say no. He's club president for something.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea
Posts : 9392
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:22 pm

StrugaRock wrote:Cesc is a great addition to their squad, but they really need to find another Puyol, he is their true leader that organizes their defense perfectly.

Let's be honest, Pique might be top 5/10 CB in the world but he isn't a leader.

What 23 (or he is 24, whatever) is though?

We will see if Pique is a leader or not in a few years time. Thats where players like him improve, because in terms of ability and skills he has surpassed Puyol. Its the intangable things in which he will grow from now on.

But yeah, we arent going to find a replacement for Puyol in terms of leadership or his influence on the team for outside the club.

His skills we might be able to from the outside, but his influence no.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 19651
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Rosell kept underbidding and hoping Arsenal would show some spine and pull Cesc off the table and Cesc would get offended. But Cesc doesn't have a big enough ego and Arsenal showed no spine.

They got him... And cheaply it appears. Arsenal just bent over. So did Cesc.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
Granero, Gago and Lass I guess are considered shit then. Alonso is getting old. Khedira sometimes gets injured. So Sahin's needed.



Granero is not good enough to back up Alonso, that's a fact. Lass wanted out, despite having so much playing time last season, that's his choice. Gago is not only overrated, but he isnt reliable, when you deal with a injury prine player, you have to make tough choices at times. Gago played 3 games with argentina and then went out for a month.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 31539
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Hold on, why is Sahin needed and Cesc not?

Xabi Alonso and Xavi are the same age no?

We have Thaigo, you had Canales.

You have Ozil, we have Iniesta.

Sami K, Busi.

Lass, Mascherano.

Whats the difference?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 19651
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Doc Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:25 pm

I sympathise with the Rosell Camp although Fabregas would yet another headache for everyone that isn't Barcelona.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 15685
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by StrugaRock Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:29 pm

The Franchise wrote:
StrugaRock wrote:Cesc is a great addition to their squad, but they really need to find another Puyol, he is their true leader that organizes their defense perfectly.

Let's be honest, Pique might be top 5/10 CB in the world but he isn't a leader.

What 23 (or he is 24, whatever) is though?

We will see if Pique is a leader or not in a few years time. Thats where players like him improve, because in terms of ability and skills he has surpassed Puyol. Its the intangable things in which he will grow from now on.

But yeah, we arent going to find a replacement for Puyol in terms of leadership or his influence on the team for outside the club.

His skills we might be able to from the outside, but his influence no.

Skill wise Pique may be a bit better than Puyol, but usually defenders become defensive leaders at the age of 27-28 and above, Puyol might be injured/out more often now, so a decent backup would've been much better than Cesc.
StrugaRock
StrugaRock
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo
Posts : 1267
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Doc Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:29 pm

@Dani

Since I said that quip about Fabregas not being needed, think I'll respond to suit. Midfield creativity has never been an issue with Barcelona, can't say the same for Real Madrid. What exactly does Fabregas bring that isn't already there? Granero, Gago nor Kaka haven't made any significant contributions towards Real Madrid midfield issue. Sahin (apparently) fills that obvious void.

My thoughts on it anyway. Also note, please don't confuse not a necessity with wasteful buy...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 15685
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by EarlyPrototype Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:30 pm

The Franchise wrote:Hold on, why is Sahin needed and Cesc not?

Xabi Alonso and Xavi are the same age no?

We have Thaigo, you had Canales.

You have Ozil, we have Iniesta.

Sami K, Busi.

Lass, Mascherano.

Whats the difference?

Canales gone and Lass is going.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo
Posts : 7700
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:30 pm

The Franchise wrote:Hold on, why is Sahin needed and Cesc not?

Xabi Alonso and Xavi are the same age no?

We have Thaigo, you had Canales.

You have Ozil, we have Iniesta.

Sami K, Busi.

Lass, Mascherano.

Whats the difference?

the difference is that Canales isnt as ready as Thiago is, and he isnt staying with us, Thiago isnt moving.

Lass is leaving, Masch is staying.

Imo, it's ok to add depth, you needed it, but a player like Cesc is too big of a player to add in that role. You needed to add number and quality, not superstar cesc. At least that's how i see it.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 31539
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:32 pm

StrugaRock wrote:
The Franchise wrote:
StrugaRock wrote:Cesc is a great addition to their squad, but they really need to find another Puyol, he is their true leader that organizes their defense perfectly.

Let's be honest, Pique might be top 5/10 CB in the world but he isn't a leader.

What 23 (or he is 24, whatever) is though?

We will see if Pique is a leader or not in a few years time. Thats where players like him improve, because in terms of ability and skills he has surpassed Puyol. Its the intangable things in which he will grow from now on.

But yeah, we arent going to find a replacement for Puyol in terms of leadership or his influence on the team for outside the club.

His skills we might be able to from the outside, but his influence no.

Skill wise Pique may be a bit better than Puyol, but usually defenders become defensive leaders at the age of 27-28 and above, Puyol might be injured/out more often now, so a decent backup would've been much better than Cesc.

Yes, without question I believe that. We require a reliable centerback as cover then we do Cesc. Always said that.

Just saying that replacing Puyol isnt possible, not in terms of leadership and influence. Someone like Pique, will have to take up that mantle.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 19651
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:33 pm

The Franchise wrote:Hold on, why is Sahin needed and Cesc not?

Xabi Alonso and Xavi are the same age no?

We have Thaigo, you had Canales.

You have Ozil, we have Iniesta.

Sami K, Busi.

Lass, Mascherano.

Whats the difference?

Gago was perm-injured and was already out the door. We needed someone more reliable.
Canales wanted major minutes, which we don't have to give. He's not developed enough yet. Besides, he plays only AM (cannot play CM for defensive reasons) and he had Ozil + Kaka in front of him there. We were unsuccessful in trying to sell Kaka
Lass also wanted to start because he wants to make the France NT for the Euro. We offered him an extension for more money and he refused.

These 3 players were out the door... 1 because of injury-problems and the 2 others because they wanted to.

We were only left with Xabi, Khedira and Granero... Granero is ok, but not very good. Nice depth player for our lower level opponents. Besides, we want to play more 4-3-3 and we didn't have the parts. So we signed Sahin to become our CM and Coentrao to be the replacement for Lass. We probably wouldn't have signed Coentrao if Altintop weren't injured... that made the Coentrao transaction a must.

With Leon out of favor and on his way out, we also needed another winger = Callejon

Every move we made was because of need.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by The Franchise Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Doc wrote:@Dani

Since I said that quip about Fabregas not being needed, think I'll respond to suit. Midfield creativity has never been an issue with Barcelona, can't say the same for Real Madrid. What exactly does Fabregas bring that isn't already there? Granero, Gago nor Kaka haven't made any significant contributions towards Real Madrid midfield issue. Sahin (apparently) fills that obvious void.

My thoughts on it anyway. Also note, please don't confuse not a necessity with wasteful buy...

Well I ill start by saying I have long since said I dont want Cesc because we dont need him and we shouldnt be spending that amount of money on someone we dont actually need.

As for your point. I understand what your saying, but numbers wise it isnt any difference to Madrid.

We dont need Cesc, but you dont need Sahin either.

Does Sahin bring things you dont have? I am not sure..I think Alonso brings alot of the same qualities.

Do Madrid lack creativity? I am not convinced they do, at least no in terms of player talent. More a system and attacking set of principles I think.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 19651
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Barca fans:  Why the obsession with Cesc by your club? Empty Re: Barca fans: Why the obsession with Cesc by your club?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum