Milantildeath
red&blacklegion
IzzyC08
IrasMaldinista
Giovanni10
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Preference between Aquilani and Montolivo Empty Preference between Aquilani and Montolivo

Post by Giovanni10 Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:12 pm

As I frequently watch Ac Milan games and consider them my second favourite side, I've found the lack of a notable signing this window a bit concerning (Although I know Milan have a habit of coming in with late big offers before windows close)

Today though I noticed transfer speculation increasing concerning the Ac Milan, Fiorentina, Aquilani, Montolivo debacle. As I understand it, if Aquilani goes to Milan than Fiorentina will keep Montolivo. There also exists the possibility that if Montolivo goes to Milan, his gap at Fiorentina will be filled by Aquilani.

My question is: What would Milan fans in this section prefer, obtaining Aquilani or Montolivo?

I believe Aquilani to actually possess more technical ability than Montolivo but the down-side is that Aquilani is always an injury concern. Both have great abilities in their own right, thats what makes it such a difficult choice....
Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

http://newsfromthelogcabin.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Preference between Aquilani and Montolivo Empty Re: Preference between Aquilani and Montolivo

Post by IrasMaldinista Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:33 pm

The difference between the two players, despite many similarities, is huge.

Montolivo is a leader, a composed and confident regista who's able to dictate play, and while his style of play is really nice and smooth, he's not that gifted physically.

Aquilani, on the other hand, is Italian Football's most talented midfielder of the last few years, one who could easily have been Italy's main guy in the middle since the World Cup, but he is the ultimate ruined-by-injury example.

While Montolivo's mental power and tactical awareness could slot him in as a starter in any team in the world, Aquilani who's even one year older than Monty is still just a kid, one who needs constant direction both from the bench and from teammates.

Montolivo is such an energetic player, he's been very successful as Viola's defensive midfielder so far and as Italy's playmaker received an 8.0 from Goal.com, so it's obvious that he's an out-and-out midfielder, no matter what.

But while Montolivo is a classic midfielder, Aquilani is quite the modern type. Equipped with a nuclear right-foot and good ability on the ball, he has that ability to make a surprising difference in a given game.

Aquilani is faster, more attack-minded, more creative but less precise, with a better idea of how to send a player through. But he is like Cassano, he needs a small team to thrive in.

If I were to choose, anyway, I would go with Montolivo.

You see, Milan need players of high spirit, durability and precision.
Montolivo is able to guarantee 50 games a season, he can replace Van Bommel and fill both LCAM and RCM roles, while in total emergency could feature behind the attackers.

Aquilani can play between 0 to 50 games, he doesn't have much of a fixed position on the pitch but he sure can make us tick, he can be such a creative force on the left of our midfield trio.

I consider them almost equal, but my sense tells me Ricky Monty is a safer option.
IrasMaldinista
IrasMaldinista
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Preference between Aquilani and Montolivo Empty Re: Preference between Aquilani and Montolivo

Post by IzzyC08 Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Montolivo he has the same amount of creativity and more pace. What we truly need is a little more dynamism in the midfield. Although Aquilani would be a pretty good grab as well.
IzzyC08
IzzyC08
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:19 pm

I have a poor first full impression of Montolivo from when I saw him playing for la Nazionale during the World Cup last year, completely ineffectual. Once they brought on Pirlo the whole NT was galvanised but by then it was already to late.

I have seen him only in patches for Fiorentina and I must say that this improved my opinion of him. He has an amazing range of passing and that long range shot technique is second to none.

Everyone knows though what Aquilani can bring on a good day, that incomparable inventiveness in central midfield that (as previously mentioned by Iras ) trumps Monto's creativity.

The fact remains though, Aquilani is a wild-card because who knows how many "good" days he can produce, while Monto will give you day in day out high quality consistency.

It is close, but to choose, Montolivo is the better option.
Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by red&blacklegion Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I wish we could get both since next year Gattuso Ambro Seedorf are gonna be too old!
red&blacklegion
red&blacklegion
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Milantildeath Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:04 pm

Montolivo is less injury prone, and also can strike a great shot from distance
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:47 pm

montolivo for sure
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 pm

neither if it were my choice both are over-rated and dont deserve a spot at milan...
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:56 pm

nichabr wrote:neither if it were my choice both are over-rated and dont deserve a spot at milan...
we need some italian blood though
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:55 pm

seem like italian milan fans want aquilani.Really dont know who we should go far,italians know them more than we non-italians do.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:31 am

I have to say if it was my choice, I'd go for Monty. Aquilani's career was destroyed when he went to Liverpool. He's too injury prone and inconsistent IMO to deserve a place in our starting XI. Whoever we buy needs to be reliable and consistent. Someone we can count on to get the job done. Aquilani would have a hard time even making the starting XI, let alone performing.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:48 am

trust me ...take montolivo ...Aquilani blows how and cold to damn much
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by IzzyC08 Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:14 am

DeviAngel wrote:trust me ...take montolivo ...Aquilani blows how and cold to damn much
Thanks for the warning although I know all too well about his inconsistencies. That's the main reason I've never liked Aquilani.
IzzyC08
IzzyC08
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:28 am

Ganso wrote:
nichabr wrote:neither if it were my choice both are over-rated and dont deserve a spot at milan...

Over half our squad is Italian though
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:33 am

Milantildeath wrote:Montolivo is less injury prone, and also can strike a great shot from distance

Alberto would have something to say about that...

BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:34 am

Granted, Aquilani can be very underwhelming and very injury-prone

But I think many Milan fans are against Aquilani and are for Montolivo because Riccardo is so reminiscent of Andrea Pirlo.
I think the similar characteristics (their hairstyle included) is playing a considerable factor here
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Aquillani is the type of player who will be a complete genius in one game, meh in the next three games and then get injured for a month He blows hot and cold a lot and is very injury prone. It is clear that next season we are aiming for the treble, and to seriously compete in all three competitions our players need to have good fitness (Pato Sad)

Montolivo though inconsistent is a very good player with an impressive range of passing and a great long ranger and has much better fitness than Aquillani, will be the perfect addition to our midfield and will be invaluable our league winning objective. For me Montolivo would be the better option.

And also people are forgetting, Aquillani is valued at 17 million by Liverpool, that's why Juventus did not buy him outright while Montolivo has only one year left in his contract and is valued at 10-12 million, so not only will Montolivo be a better option but a cheaper one too.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:59 pm

BiasedMilanFan3 wrote:
Ganso wrote:

Over half our squad is Italian though
a pretty old one...
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by IzzyC08 Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Montolivo doesn't even resemble Pirlo to me. Aquilani is more like Pirlo than Montolivo has ever been IMO.
IzzyC08
IzzyC08
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm

I would be content with either of them. Monto is a fine player , though. Would really like him at Milan
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by shamr9pato Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

can i pick both??
shamr9pato
shamr9pato
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:52 pm

shamr9pato wrote:can i pick both??

maybe in the playstation Laughing
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:52 pm

ACMRox wrote:I have to say if it was my choice, I'd go for Monty. Aquilani's career was destroyed when he went to Liverpool. He's too injury prone and inconsistent IMO to deserve a place in our starting XI. Whoever we buy needs to be reliable and consistent. Someone we can count on to get the job done. Aquilani would have a hard time even making the starting XI, let alone performing.

Not sure how we ruined Aquilani.He came to us injured and having never started 20 leagues in his career.He spent 7-8 months recovering from injury that season.When he got fit towards the end of season played regularly for the last 2 months which isnt much admittedly.Then last season he was sent on loan to juve.

Its unfair to say we can destroy his career considering he basically spent 3 months in Liverpool as a fit player.If anything we improved his fitness considering he has not injured since being attended by Liverpool medical staff.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:58 pm

milanista99 wrote:Aquillani is the type of player who will be a complete genius in one game, meh in the next three games and then get injured for a month He blows hot and cold a lot and is very injury prone. It is clear that next season we are aiming for the treble, and to seriously compete in all three competitions our players need to have good fitness (Pato Sad)

Montolivo though inconsistent is a very good player with an impressive range of passing and a great long ranger and has much better fitness than Aquillani, will be the perfect addition to our midfield and will be invaluable our league winning objective. For me Montolivo would be the better option.

And also people are forgetting, Aquillani is valued at 17 million by Liverpool, that's why Juventus did not buy him outright while Montolivo has only one year left in his contract and is valued at 10-12 million, so not only will Montolivo be a better option but a cheaper one too.

Acc. to his Agent we will accept an offer of 10-12mil though his Agent talk a lot of trash often that has to be said.And Juve only offered us 6mil which was derisory th say the least.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Giovanni10 Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:39 pm

Wow, I did not expect when I made this thread that there would be such a unanimous preference for Montolivo. I suppose the Serie A fans on here no better than to label someone like Montolivo underrated, as they've watched on numerous occasions how devastating he has been in the league.

I suppose from outside the league, English, Spanish football fans would probably have a higher opinion of Aquilani, purely because they've had more exposure to him.
Giovanni10
Giovanni10
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum