Marcelo the best defender and dribbler at Real Madrid, statistically speaking....

+11
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Mr Nick09
hrealmadrid
Doc
paperbackwriter
guest7
Zealous
I-no
Rebaño Sagrado
Turok_TTZ
The Madrid One
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Marcelo the best defender and dribbler at Real Madrid, statistically speaking.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Marcelo the best defender and dribbler at Real Madrid, statistically speaking....

Post by Guest Tue 2 Aug - 15:59:17

Zealous wrote:That post is going to sound a bit weird when he makes the World XI at the FIFA Galla at the end of the year. LOL

You have a point but at the same time you gotta give credit where it's due. The kid had a great year last year.

I agree with you about the "we only want to hear good things about our players" point though Very Happy

Dude... i think Marcelo's going to be the best IF he stays focused. I told you i converted late last year. But his breakthrough has lasted as long as benz' has. Exactly the same amount of time actually. They were both on the brink.

Now, they both have a chance to fulfill their dreams and potential at Madrid. But they're not unbenchable (Ceontrao and Higuain could easily step in for both). Benz still doesn't make the greatest runs in the world and stinks in the air. Marcelo still tends to crash the center of the field and sometimes gets caught out of position defensively. They're both getting better though... Marcelo's a big free spirit. So i don't think he's taking the preseason all that seriously. I'm hoping he gets more disciplined come the Super Cup.

I don't think Mou bought Coentrao just to be a super-sub. In the end, he's also a true backup plan to Marcelo should Marcelo slip.

Back to top Go down

Marcelo the best defender and dribbler at Real Madrid, statistically speaking.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Marcelo the best defender and dribbler at Real Madrid, statistically speaking....

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue 2 Aug - 16:00:25

Doc wrote:
Immaculate_Mole wrote:He's still known as Mehcelo as far as iam concerned :coffee:

First and foremost, Billy Ocean is awesome. Secondly, you'll be surprised how much Madrid fans actually agree to the "meh" part. I, of course, is not one of them...

I mainly brought it up because when first Zealous starting praising him back in the old forums i called him Mehcelo and i stand by it.

He has improved under Mou though :coffee:

And yes Billy Ocean iz da shiznizz Cool
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue 2 Aug - 16:04:34

not as natural as Mehssi
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 2 Aug - 16:05:15

All I'm saying Doc is that there are two big fundamental responsibilities with fullbacks: 1) defend the edge with blood if necessary lol and 2) create width by overlapping the winger. Marcelo is easily talented enough to do both. But he brings a lot more to the table, so he's allowed to roam a bit. IMO, and again it's only IMO, we would be better served if he pushed the defense wide more often. We have the same issue on the right btw.

This preseason and most of last season, we really didn't score because our shape was so fantastic going forward. We relied a lot on individual moments of brilliance and counter attacks. Mou is a brilliant tactician... but i can't call him an offensive genius. He's a defensive one for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue 2 Aug - 16:05:45

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:not as natural as Mehssi

Tbf i was the one that created Mehssi aswell :coffee:

by Immaculate_Mole on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:08 am

Messi motm? lol he was meh tonight he dribbled past players? so what what did he do in the final third ? apart from a few passes not much....

He has a new name Lionel Mehssi :coffee:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue 2 Aug - 16:10:55

do you save that stuff mole? Suspect
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue 2 Aug - 16:17:55

Marcelo is a don
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue 2 Aug - 16:18:18

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:do you save that stuff mole? Suspect

Search engine is a wonderful thing Thumbs up
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 2 Aug - 16:23:01

sportsczy wrote:All I'm saying Doc is that there are two big fundamental responsibilities with fullbacks: 1) defend the edge with blood if necessary lol and 2) create width by overlapping the winger. Marcelo is easily talented enough to do both. But he brings a lot more to the table, so he's allowed to roam a bit. IMO, and again it's only IMO, we would be better served if he pushed the defense wide more often. We have the same issue on the right btw.

This preseason and most of last season, we really didn't score because our shape was so fantastic going forward. We relied a lot on individual moments of brilliance and counter attacks. Mou is a brilliant tactician... but i can't call him an offensive genius. He's a defensive one for sure.

I believe I do get what you're saying and if one think I meant you as one of the many Madrid fans who think he is "meh", I'm not. I just believe what we are seeing is something that Mourinho condones (to an extent). Also, the part about spreading the play more wide, it would actually (in me's own opinion) be beneficial for Xabi who has mastered the diagonal ball to (almost) perfection.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue 2 Aug - 16:51:27

Crimson wrote:
Marcelo - Combined Total 3.2 Key Passes and Successful Dribbles per game

With 2.3 successful dribbles per game, the left-back leads the way for defenders in La Liga (Way ahead of second best Alves with 1.5). Not only that, he made more than any Real Madrid player, just pipping Cristiano Ronaldo on 2.2.

A more than respectable 0.9 key passes, but an understanding of Real’s set-up explains why that number is lower than it should be - he plays on the same flank as Ronaldo, who tends to take over in the attacking third. As a result, Marcelo made 0.4 crosses per game; rather than fire the ball in from out wide, his game is more about linking with Ronaldo down the flank. With 46.9 passes, only Alves saw more of the ball as an attacking full-back in La Liga, and Marcelo was third highest for passes for Madrid (in La Liga), behind Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos.

His shots per game (0.6) figure also suffers, ranking lower than Ramos on the opposite flank. Marcelo found the net on 3 occasions from his 32 appearances; however, his 4 assists could be improved upon, given his attacking capabilities.

Defensively, Marcelo was exceptional- with 3.4 tackles, he was second to Lassana Diarra for Madrid and his 3.7 interceptions was far and away the best for his club; his combined total of 7.1 tackles and interceptions. With 3 Man of the Match awards

He may be the best offensive defender,but he is still growing defensively and still along way from being best defensive.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 Tue 2 Aug - 16:51:30

I've said it before but Marcelo is a Real Madrid legend in the making. He will be the new Roberto Carlos for us.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue 2 Aug - 16:55:11

Doc wrote:
sportsczy wrote:All I'm saying Doc is that there are two big fundamental responsibilities with fullbacks: 1) defend the edge with blood if necessary lol and 2) create width by overlapping the winger. Marcelo is easily talented enough to do both. But he brings a lot more to the table, so he's allowed to roam a bit. IMO, and again it's only IMO, we would be better served if he pushed the defense wide more often. We have the same issue on the right btw.

I believe I do get what you're saying and if one think I meant you as one of the many Madrid fans who think he is "meh", I'm not. I just believe what we are seeing is something that Mourinho condones (to an extent). Also, the part about spreading the play more wide, it would actually (in me's own opinion) be beneficial for Xabi who has mastered the diagonal ball to (almost) perfection.

Doc,I'm with Sportsczy on this. Marcelo can still do his runs but make them to sidelines and do more overlaps. It will stop the over crowding in centre. In my opinion, Marcelo is becoming a little too predicable. I also want to see more overlaps runs on right as well from Ramos or Arbeloa.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 2 Aug - 17:39:49

It's not that I disagree to Czy's opinion as I pretty much agree to the over lapping scheme, I'm just stating what I believe Marcelo's constant cutting inside to be something Mourinho condones. To tell the honest truth, I'm a bit out in the loop as to what exactly Mourinho and Real Madrid have in store primarily the final 3rd. The pre season matches, the players look a bit jumble up when it comes to attacking plays. Maybe it's just pre season and lack of match practice...

Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue 2 Aug - 18:28:16

marcelo had a but of a lull towards the end of the first half of the season and a tiny bit of the beginning of the second half of the season..

other than that marcelo has been fantastic.. if mou was not happy with his play he would have benched him like he has in the past.

now we have coentrao, arbeloa, nacho, and casado playing in preseason and marcelo has yet to be truly benched by any of these.

its speaks volumes-

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue 2 Aug - 18:43:12

deezydeez wrote:marcelo had a but of a lull towards the end of the first half of the season and a tiny bit of the beginning of the second half of the season..

other than that marcelo has been fantastic.. if mou was not happy with his play he would have benched him like he has in the past.

now we have coentrao, arbeloa, nacho, and casado playing in preseason and marcelo has yet to be truly benched by any of these.

its speaks volumes-

We're not saying he shouldn't start. We are just saying there are a few aspects of his game that he can improve upon to truly become a GREAT.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue 2 Aug - 19:49:28

He is getting there. Zealous, your boy makes you proud Very Happy
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2