BarcaLearning
Casciavit
BarrileteCosmico
Cruijf
El Gunner
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

El Gunner's Top 20 Most Impressive Footballers of his lifetime - Page 2 Empty Re: El Gunner's Top 20 Most Impressive Footballers of his lifetime

Post by El Gunner Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:59 pm

the most incredible thing in this video is the coach smoking a cigar in the dugout Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvpvvbaL8qU

El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

El Gunner's Top 20 Most Impressive Footballers of his lifetime - Page 2 Empty Re: El Gunner's Top 20 Most Impressive Footballers of his lifetime

Post by futbol_bill Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:20 pm

Lol, I have to laugh at you guys looking up old videos. In the 50s and early 60s, we mostly had to listen to radio or attend live. Some TV coverage, but it was really grainy and poor. Television sets rare, and mostly it was restricted to one channel.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:00 am

speaking of radio... it reminds me that i had to listen to a BBC Sports Five Life coverage we got on Saturdays to follow the games for a stretch during 2007/08 because unfortunately my family was going thru a bit of tough time that we couldn't pay our TV subscription

Also means i missed out a lot on watching that fantastic Arsenal team that season
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:52 am

El Gunner wrote:
BarcaLearning wrote:Never watched Juve much despite knowing them consistently making runs in the CL n dominating Serie A for long periods during that later 90s to mid 00s ish era? Despite Del Piero being great, he was mostly just a sub for Italy? A big no.9 + Totti were always preferred iirc. There were some players like that, real entertaining skillful flair players but prolly werent as impactful n consistent overall perhaps?

don't know about in the 90s, but yea from what i can remember during the mid 00s he was simply excess to requirements for Italy. Italy played a certain physical and organised system which he just didn't fit into... old school 4-4-2, with every single player except maybe for the guy up top needing to be hardworking runners. Totti played in his position, and i think he was preferred because he was more physical and more efficient than Del Piero - while having the ability of giving more or less the same attacking output.

Del Piero was more the flair type of 10/supporting striker willing to take chances and wanting to find pockets of spaces in the final third to make something happen. He would have been perfect for Spain during that time, for instance, as he could have done that job for Morientes, and then maybe for Villa and Torres up until 2008 before the era of false 9s and 4-3-3 offshoots.

It wasn't a matter of style, physicality, nor was he always a sub. Del Piero is in the all time cap list and in the top 5 al tome goalscorers for the national team.

Back then all the lineups included at least one trequartista, sometimes even two. Its simply it was a time of absolutely stacked Italy attacks. So he always rotated, either as a sub or as a starter. He came up at the end of Baggio's reign, and just before Totti's. 3 GOATs of the role.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:41 pm

oh wow, Kun Aguero knows ball! I couldnt have said it any better
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:30 pm

That's a solid list, EG.

I respect the subjectivity up front as well.

I much prefer lists like this over the so-called "best" lists, which can be extremely hard to define and just lead to bad faith debate.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2