M99
Pedram
CBarca
The Demon of Carthage
Freeza
47 posters

Page 42 of 43 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Go down

USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread - Page 42 Empty Re: USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread

Post by Myesyats Wed May 25, 2022 7:21 pm

A cultural/mindset change will take generations and isn’t even guaranteed to succeed tbh. Especially with such resistance from conservative media etc.

Passing a few bills on gun control or assault rifle ban seems way easier and within reach.

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread - Page 42 Empty Re: USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread

Post by The Demon of Carthage Wed May 25, 2022 7:33 pm

Myesyats wrote:Passing a few bills on gun control or assault rifle ban seems way easier and within reach.

Not sure if it's easier, mate.

There have been many bills submitted to close certain loopholes like the Charleston loophole, but the problem is that they can't pass the Senate.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed May 25, 2022 7:40 pm

Myesyats wrote:A cultural/mindset change will take generations and isn’t even guaranteed to succeed tbh. Especially with such resistance from conservative media etc.

Passing a few bills on gun control or assault rifle ban seems way easier and within reach.

the cultural change will come after practical change, usually that's how it happens

but yea like Demon said, Senate is the problem... Steve Kerr, coach of the Golden State Warriors, basically also brought up that point as being the main issue at the moment concerning the topic of gun laws in his emotional speech/rant yesterday in his pre-game interview
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed May 25, 2022 10:46 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:

@mclewis it's this talk of never compromising that will ensure this keeps happening. An attempt of meeting some of the more reasonable ones half-ways through is the best we can hope for at this stage. Whatever deal they can come up with before the elections will be better than after dems lose. And should a miracle happen and the dems win then they can pass a bill with what they really want.

It's all so tiring. I keep hearing that we need to compromise with a side that aren't interested in it. Where are these moderate Republicans knocking down Chris Murphy's door to get something done? Where's Romney, Murkowski, and Collins? He begged all of them, on the Senate floor, to help end this crisis. Crickets. I don't really understand why anyone would continue to extend a hand to a side that continually scoffs at it and then does everything in their power to make us regret ever extending it in the first place.

I mean, did you see what Schumer said today?

That's not compromise. That's a capitulation masquerading as a hail mary.

It's sickening.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu May 26, 2022 12:38 am

Yeah they're not interested. Wasn't expecting anything else. Just saying that you can't shut that door from the get go and you have to be willing to try to engage.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Thu May 26, 2022 6:51 am

When it comes to partisan issues, republicans are extremely non-compromising. I don’t know why they pretend to be the opposite.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu May 26, 2022 12:09 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Yeah they're not interested. Wasn't expecting anything else. Just saying that you can't shut that door from the get go and you have to be willing to try to engage.

If they're not interested, why engage with them?
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu May 26, 2022 9:49 pm

His heart literally broke. Takototsubo cardiomyopathy (Broken Heart Syndrome) is a real thing.

This is despairingly tragic.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 am

Man that's so sad...

@mclewis I think the thing to realize is that the senate only has 48 dems (if we don't count the 2 DINOs, which i don't), so the choice is make the attempt with a 10% success rate or grandstand with a 0% success rate. That's just the cold math of trying to govern with a minority in congress. It would likely he futile, but it's the only choice available.

You would think that given that 9/10 Americans believe in background checks that's at least something that could get enough support. You would think.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Fri May 27, 2022 11:09 am

No windows and only one entrance/exit with armed guards is the conservative solution to this problem Laughing Make sure everyone tramples over each other with one way to escape, nice!

And the worst thing about it is these people won't go to hell because we're already in hell, this is hell
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri May 27, 2022 12:00 pm

The whole setup of the US whats the word elections n the Senate/House, etc. is outdated n no fair n should be change/updated? Seems to be the case for so long but obviously the ppl controling things at the top arent gonna ever do that cos they wanna keep their power?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri May 27, 2022 3:18 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Man that's so sad...

@mclewis I think the thing to realize is that the senate only has 48 dems (if we don't count the 2 DINOs, which i don't), so the choice is make the attempt with a 10% success rate or grandstand with a 0% success rate. That's just the cold math of trying to govern with a minority in congress. It would likely he futile, but it's the only choice available.

You would think that given that 9/10 Americans believe in background checks that's at least something that could get enough support. You would think.

I understand what you're saying. Somewhere deep down, I probably even agree. 10% is better than 0%. That's what logic tells me, as a critical thinker. Emotionally, as a parent, I find that unacceptable though. I find it unfathomable that we think this way when children are dying.

The reality that I keep coming back to is the time to act was after Sandy Hook. Nothing happening after that massacre doomed those kids in Uvalde ultimately. Some of them weren't even born when Sandy Hook occurred. Their lives were on borrowed time from birth due to the failure to act.

You want to know what pisses me off the most about Republicans and Conservatives though? The defeatism. The lack of critical thinking. They either have no solutions at all because they don't believe this problem can be solved or the solutions they do have are so ridiculously delusional and lazily constructed that it makes the fervent belief they have in them almost sympathetic. Almost.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Fri May 27, 2022 5:52 pm

Could the easiest solution be the creation a third party scratch

The current setup of american democracy seems a blatant attempt to maintain status quo on ancient laws. If Trump made it... anybody with a bit of rep and money can do it
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat May 28, 2022 3:24 am

Republicans are an extreme radical right wing, antidemocratic, near authoritarian party with a thinly veiled hatred for the republic, and the more we sugarcoat that, the more we enable them.

With that being said, this shooting won't change shit, and I'm just going to repeat the same things as always. It's the institutions. Incremental progress on "gun legislation" and "the gun lobby" is, like, nice...but until we abolish the Senate and go to something unicameral or parliamentary with proportional representation, we will continue to be held hostage by a political party (terrorist group?) who has rigged the antimajoritarian aspects of our democracy for their own gain.

Obviously I hate Dems too, but they're so far away from being the problem in American politics that it's absolutely fucking laughable when anyone makes a comparison*

*To be sure, Dems are part of the problem. What I mean to say is they aren't part of The Problem. And The Problem is the blatant disregard for democracy in any way shape or form
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat May 28, 2022 3:26 am

Anyway, on a personal level...although the chances of this happening to me are *obviously* very very slim to the point where it makes no real factor in my decision making...it's another reason why I'm finishing out my last week teaching either this week or next year at this time. Fuck this
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat May 28, 2022 3:30 am

Warrior wrote:Could the easiest solution be the creation a third party scratch

The current setup of american democracy seems a blatant attempt to maintain status quo on ancient laws. If Trump made it... anybody with a bit of rep and money can do it

A third party is not possible in American politics. Even if this wasn't a studied phenomenon in politics, it's pretty obvious on the face -- why would Dems or Republican voters hurt their own party by voting for anyone else? Especially when the electoral consequences are so dire?

Dems have lost abortion rights and the supreme Court is coming for much more all due to a few thousand votes in a couple states. Republicans lost the opportunity to install a dictator over a few thousand votes in a couple states
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sat May 28, 2022 6:45 am

Sorry to insist... but you didn't give any details on why it's impossible Laughing

Reading your post above you seem like someone who would vote for a third party, because the other 2 are shit. If there are so many swing states it means a lot of people are not definite republicans or definite democrats, they just vote for the least worst candidate.

In Canada when we don't have a majority government, the third party is very important as it holds the balance of power. How many people have voted republican in 2016-2020 by default because they hate Clinton/Biden but they support abortion rights ? And vice versa for those who hate Trump ? I bet a lot of them don't abide strictly by the philosophy of the party they voted for.

Republican 40%
Democrat 40%
Third party 20%... assuming this third party is on the side of reason it could be a big problem for the republicans

Idk exactly how it works down south but i read you guys about how nothing can change, so i assume the binary system is the main culprit. Makes no sense to divide 300 millions americans in 2 political clans.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sat May 28, 2022 6:58 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_party_(United_States)#Barriers_to_third_party_success

Ah now i see the problem

Grosso modo it needs a billionaire to kickstart the whole thing and make it credible nation wide. Difficult but not impossible to achieve.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat May 28, 2022 9:34 pm

@warrior a lot of states are passing ranked choice voting laws. This is important as it kills the "wasted vote" argument keeping 3rd parties back. Baby steps in that direction.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:39 pm

Another one.

A guy had back surgery, complained of the pain afterwards, follow up with doctor, was still in pain and dissatisfied with doctor, purchased an assault rifle from a local gun vendor as well as a handgun, went to the hospital and shot it up, killing his doctor, another doctor, a receptionist and another patient before killing himself.

He bought those guns within hours of committing that massacre.

How was he able to buy a gun and use it in a massacre within hours?:

Senate Bill 1081 prevents Oklahoma cities and towns from enacting policies that would allow a court or other entity to restrict gun access to people deemed to be an imminent danger.

That bill was signed into law by Oklahoma's governor last year. That effectively means there was no way to stop this shooter from buying a gun, regardless of his mental state. This bill directly lead to the deaths of these 4 people.

Oklahoma is also a free carry state. No permit needed, no training, no safe, and/or no background check needed to buy and own a gun.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:13 pm

Well, clearly everyone at the doctor's office should've been armed to prevent this.

Man, it's heartbreaking how broken the US is.
It's also annoying because it lets Europeans be smug about it, when we should be fixing our own broken-ass countries, and we don't, because they're marginally less broken.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:05 pm

I've been debating a conservative on reddit who literally doesn't see anything wrong with this guy being able to get a gun as quickly as he did. To him, this guy's 2A rights superceded his intentions with the weapon. And that's an absolutely fatalist point of view.

For conservatives, everyone's a law abiding gun owner.....until they flip the fuck out and shoot up a place. Then they become a criminal and should be prosecuted to furthest extent of the law. It's literally that black and white to them. That line is very clear to them. They won't lift a finger to stop anyone from doing anything as long as they don't cross that line. All is permissible, as long as that line isn't crossed. And by the time someone actually does cross it (often those won't even know they have, because they're mentally ill or don't care), it's too late to stop them.

All that's left for conservatives to do is :lament the loss of life, defend not stopping the person from crossing the line, hunker down and dig in until the storm of outrage passes. Rinse and repeat. It's worked well for them for 30+ years.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:50 pm

There's been a lot of mass shooting since the last post in this thread, but I want to highlight this one because it's going to get a lot of play in right wing media. Why?

The shooter was killed by a bystander who was armed.....aka the mythical "good guy with a gun". This guy is going to be an instant, overnight hero of the right-wing. They will lionize him to the heavens.

The problem? It's still a myth. Data shows that this scenario just doesn't happen at anywhere near the levels the NRA (who created the slogan) says it does. In fact, a bystander is 4 times more likely to intervene and stop a mass shooter unarmed or with a weapon other than a gun.

But that won't stop the right wing here. They're going to harp on this singular act of "heroism" and use it ad nauseum, conveniently forgetting what happened in Uvalde and all the other times no one stepped up as well as the times someone did and were killed by the police for it.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:41 pm

I'm only aware of 2 "good guy with a gun" stories and in 1 of them he was killed by the police...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:06 am

Precisely. It's a really dangerous fallacy, especially for Black gun owners who may want to do the right thing. Cops will not care who the actual shooter is in those situations.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:33 pm

Those two examples saved dozens of lives. And the mall guy is being smeared left, right and centre Rolling Eyes
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 42 of 43 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43  Next