RealGunner
Lord Spencer
26 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Games Discussion - Page 23 Empty Re: General Games Discussion

Post by Firenze Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Thimmy wrote:
Firenze wrote:anyone getting SHenmue 3? tempted and I've never played the first 2. May watch a story recap on YT. Reckon it'll be fairly cheap after a month though tbh.

I bought the first two during a drought and played the first one for a few hours until I got bored. It’s one of those games where, considering the technical limitations during the time of it’s release, it’s really understandable that people thought it was amazing. It also had tons of charm at the time, and that’s easy to notice with it’s distinctive, cheesy, early 90s atmosphere and soundtrack - in a sense, it reminds me a bit of Mortal Kombat. It hasn’t stood the test of time, though. I grew bored of it quite fast, and some of the mechanics in the game were just frustratingly clunky and unpolished.

I’m sure people who feel sentimental and nostalgic about the original games will be a lot more forgiving towards Shenmue 3’s possible limitations and shortcomings, but it doesn’t look like a game that I’ll enjoy playing.

yeah I got that impression (and have read similar comments from people that like you, played the recent releases) I think I'm willing to check it out for cheap when I'm bored but not at release. Yakuza looks like it took the formula and is better in every way tbh.

Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Firenze wrote:
Thimmy wrote:
Firenze wrote:anyone getting SHenmue 3? tempted and I've never played the first 2. May watch a story recap on YT. Reckon it'll be fairly cheap after a month though tbh.

I bought the first two during a drought and played the first one for a few hours until I got bored. It’s one of those games where, considering the technical limitations during the time of it’s release, it’s really understandable that people thought it was amazing. It also had tons of charm at the time, and that’s easy to notice with it’s distinctive, cheesy, early 90s atmosphere and soundtrack - in a sense, it reminds me a bit of Mortal Kombat. It hasn’t stood the test of time, though. I grew bored of it quite fast, and some of the mechanics in the game were just frustratingly clunky and unpolished.

I’m sure people who feel sentimental and nostalgic about the original games will be a lot more forgiving towards Shenmue 3’s possible limitations and shortcomings, but it doesn’t look like a game that I’ll enjoy playing.

yeah I got that impression (and have read similar comments from people that like you, played the recent releases) I think I'm willing to check it out for cheap when I'm bored but not at release. Yakuza looks like it took the formula and is better in every way tbh.

Yakuza is an improvement in most ways. Shenmue actually allows you to interact with more objects, though. You can open up pretty much every drawer in the game, input phone numbers manually, interact with people in most stores you can see, even if they’re not relevant to anything. Shenmue is much more like a life simulator.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Firenze wrote:apparently they removed the feature to trade pokemon with randoms, you have to have someones friend code btw

so any of you playing day 1? and getting sword? I've got Shield coming and there are a few pokemon I want from Sword, but I won't worry about that until I finish the story.

I'm getting it day 1, but i'm not playing day 1 most likely.

Fallen Order comes out the same day and considering it's basically GOW Star Wars i'm more hyped for that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Been playing Fallen Order for a few hours so i have a good idea now of what it is.

There's bonfire type system from Souls in here, you die you lose all your XP and go to the meditation point and have to kill the person that killed you to get your XP back. (You usually get health too)

When you heal at these points enemies respawn.

There's a stamina bar and it's heavy on parrying (difficulty level changes the window of parries) so i can see why the devs mentioned Sekiro but i haven't played the game to really know how far that comparison goes.

It's a heavy Metroidvania, more so than the more recent GOW. There's lots of hidden paths and things to find as well as hidden bosses.

But there's more platforming and puzzles(probably more like Uncharted )than any of those games i described, i think it's a great game(combat wise probably my favourite since GOW) anyone who enjoys 3rd person action games or Metroidvanias will love it.

Unless of course you despise aspects of one of those things to offset your enjoyment of the other.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Sounds good. I might pick it up when on sale.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:26 am

I wouldn’t be awfully surprised if it will be on a discount in PS Store’s usual «12 days of christmas» advent sale thing.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buL5UtyuLuI&feature=youtu.be

86 on Opencritic so far.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:54 am

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-14-star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-review-solid-combat-mired-in-shallow-storytelling-and-technical-problems

Poor story, content gets boring after 10 hours, no fast travel. Reckon I need to rethink purchasing this.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:03 am

Based on what I've played fast travel isn't necessary, can't really comment on the story or the 10 hours thing.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:18 pm

If it’s only from 6 to 10 hours long, I’m thinking I probably made a good choice in not getting it immediately. I haven’t even finished The Outer Worlds, anyway.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Thimmy wrote:If it’s only from 6 to 10 hours long, I’m thinking I probably made a good choice in not getting it immediately. I haven’t even finished The Outer Worlds, anyway.

Nah their review says their in their opinion that it gets stale after that amount of time (i can't confirm or deny as i haven't played enough) it's much longer than that.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Thimmy wrote:If it’s only from 6 to 10 hours long, I’m thinking I probably made a good choice in not getting it immediately. I haven’t even finished The Outer Worlds, anyway.

Nah their review says their in their opinion that it gets stale after that amount of time (i can't confirm or deny as i haven't played enough) it's much longer than that.

Sadly it is short (from 6 to 10 hours) and graphics feel a bit outdated." ..
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:23 pm

They must have speed runned it or something because it isn't close to that Laughing

Also ignoring the fact it's metroidvania means your incentivised to explore, this is why i don't like Reviews. They feel rushed to meet a deadline.

Not telling you to buy it but you won't finish it in 6-10 hours.

Most of the reviews say they spent around 20-25 hours and haven't found all the hidden secrets etc which is more accurate to my experience.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:19 am

I might get it at some point, I’m just not all that hyped for it right now. I just couldn’t help but notice that one reviewer claimed it was 6-10 hours long. That’s awfully short. Money isn’t really an issue for me when it comes to buying games, but that doesn’t mean I’ll pay full price if something suggests that the experience isn’t worth it Razz it better be a damn good game if the experience is less than 10 hours long. Just sayin’.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:27 am

But it's not....

You really should do more research than just reading one review when evaluating a purchase.

I honestly have no idea how this person did it in 6-10 hours, but it's not even close to that. As i already pointed out most reviews are claiming they've played for 20-25 hours with more to go to 100% it.

Which as i said is more in line with my personal experience, I'm pretty close to 10 hours now and I'm absolutely nowhere close.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:48 am

I get it, it’s not that short. I haven’t even contemplated getting the game for now, and so I won’t do any research on it beyond the curiosity that lead me to read some of it’s shallow reviews. I’m just saying, if it had been that short, then I probably wouldn’t ever consider getting the game - bar some TLoU- level content.

It won’t surprise me if it’s included in the PS Store Christmas sale or january sale, and I might get it then considering I don’t have anything else to play once I eventually finish playing through The Outer Worlds.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:29 am

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=60145

Main Story
15 Hours

Main + Extras
18½ Hours

Completionist
30 Hours

Fastest
8 Hours

-------

Someone must have found glitches to speed run it. 6-10 hours for a star wars game is quite unrealistic. 15 sounds about right
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:36 am

I imagine they just skipped the optional content.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Even if you skip the optional content i still can't fathom it tbh, they must be literally running past every enemy they don't have to kill.

Which if that's how they played it i question the validity of their review to begin with, they're basically playing like 30% of the game.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:23 pm

It’s one of the top, positive, critic reviews on Metacritic Razz
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:57 pm

So despite the mixed reviews I bought the game  Very Happy

I'm only 4 hours into the game but everything is going smoothly. Graphics are slick, voice acting is decent and gameplay is challenging. So far I don't mind the story either, even though it is very Disney. And the music, wow, it is so Star Wars and I love it.

Why did I buy it? A couple of reasons. First, the graphics look amazing and I wanted to test my PC rig. Also I wanted to send a message to EA for the positive step they've taken in releasing a single player game with no micro-transactions (as far as I can tell) and also releasing it on multiple PC storefronts. I know if one company doesn't need charity it is EA but I think if enough people buy this game, they might start releasing some well-polished single player games in the future.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:39 pm

I wouldn't particularly call the reviews mixed, if mid 80s to 90s for the large majority of reviews is considered mixed there's a significant problem with how reviews are done in the gaming industry which needs fixing.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Thimmy wrote:It’s one of the top, positive, critic reviews on Metacritic Razz

Don't really care how positive or negative it is tbh.

It's the fact it represents a experience which 95% (maybe more ) of people won't have.

It's like completing Witcher 3 in 30 hours, which if a review did that to me would be a very bad review.

In this instance their not just ignoring side content but rushing through the game to finish it as fast as possible ( it's the only way to finish it that quickly)

It's borderline speed running, take it from someone who is actually playing the game completing it that fast unless you trying to ignore fights is practically impossible.

It just doesn't represent an experience the large majority of people will have, where as the reviews like Gamespot's who state they played 22 hours with more to go to 100% it are more consistent with the experience most people are having.

It doesn't really matter if they scored it 10/10 but to say it's 6-10 hours long is completely misleading.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:02 pm

On the game: I find path finding to be the most frustrating part of this game, and the map doesn't really help. Literally been running around in circles the past 20 minutes...
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:32 pm

The reviews are mostly positive, from what I can tell. I did make the argument a couple of years ago, that the low-to-mid 80s range was starting to become viewed as mediocre due to the increasingly inflated ratings that were being given to the games released by the top, Triple A studios. I based that suggestion on a pretty wide range of comments and reviews I’d read online at the time. I believe the common consensus on here was that it wasn’t true at all hmm

Mole: Fair enough. The short game claim was debunked a while ago now. I quoted the comment in order to get your opinion on the game’s length, not because I’m a religious follower of whichever publication it was that wrote the review Razz
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Finished the game at 100%, with all the secrets, chests etc. in 17 hours.

Very good game, recommended but short and perhaps not worth the full price for the average gamer. Definitely pick it up when it is on sale especially if you're a Star Wars fan. I am not, and have never watched any of the movies, but I thoroughly enjoyed this game and has prompted me to watch the film series.

The puzzles and platforming was very Tomb Raider-esque which I have always enjoyed.

Big big thumbs up to Respawn and EA for this game, didn't encounter a single game-breaking bug and only a few minor ones.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next