Casciavit
BusterLfc
urbaNRoots
Nishankly
BORUSSIA!!
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fernando Torres was never that great of a striker, he was a one season wonder - Page 2 Empty Re: Fernando Torres was never that great of a striker, he was a one season wonder

Post by titosantill Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:07 pm

its a tough one because you don't see pundits going around calling torres the goat or top 5 ever, so hard to say overrated. and when he was at his lowest he wasn't getting the "underrated" or "you need to be technically astute about football to understand his game" type love that footballers who are experiencing terrible seasons get. when he was terrible he got crucified for it and rightly so. btw, for all the skill berbatov had, a very similar ilk to ibra; unlike ibra, i don't think berba fulfilled his potential

titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Fernando Torres was never that great of a striker, he was a one season wonder - Page 2 Empty Re: Fernando Torres was never that great of a striker, he was a one season wonder

Post by rincon Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Thimmy wrote:
Firenze wrote:Even during his prime he wasn't Villa lvl.

He's definitely above an Adebayor, but below a Berbatov. I think he's pretty well rated though tbh, most view him as someone who was elite for a brief period of time and then became utterly shit after injuries.

I disagree. During his prime, Fernando Torres was widely considered to be the most elite striker in the world, and he was discussed quite a lot on here. His peak may have been short-lived, but I don't recall anyone disagreeing that he was the top performer in his position at the time.

Maybe only in the PL and that's if we want to disregard Drogba.

During his peak Zlatan Ibrahimovic was alive. As were Eto, Villa, and others.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Physical specimen with very good technique. Lost confidence and ability due to injury. However during his prime he was definitely one of the most feared players out there so even if his term was short he certainly made a mark on people's mind. I know many kids who grew up ideolozing Torres., He was more than a world class player , he was a poster boy as well.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:20 pm

rincon wrote:
Thimmy wrote:
Firenze wrote:Even during his prime he wasn't Villa lvl.

He's definitely above an Adebayor, but below a Berbatov. I think he's pretty well rated though tbh, most view him as someone who was elite for a brief period of time and then became utterly shit after injuries.

I disagree. During his prime, Fernando Torres was widely considered to be the most elite striker in the world, and he was discussed quite a lot on here. His peak may have been short-lived, but I don't recall anyone disagreeing that he was the top performer in his position at the time.

So was Alfredo Di Stefano. Good talk.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Thimmy wrote:
rincon wrote:
Thimmy wrote:

So was Alfredo Di Stefano. Good talk.

I think Di Stefano's peak was a bit before that. While the players I mentioned were all out there been better than Torres while he was peaking.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:24 pm

I mean, how is it even debatable that Villa, Ibra and Eto were better than Torres?

Villa outperformed him so much, and so visibly since they shared the NT, that it shouldn't even be a conversation.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:12 pm

rincon wrote:I mean, how is it even debatable that Villa, Ibra and Eto were better than Torres?

Villa outperformed him so much, and so visibly since they shared the NT, that it shouldn't even be a conversation.

It's not debatable. Those guys were/are much much much better.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:44 pm

The thing to remember here is that scoring 1 in 2 was considered a great return just 10 years ago. Now because of a more open game, because of Ronaldo and Messi's record breaking exploits, because of VAR making it easier to score, etc, it's no longer as impressive.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:36 pm

Nishankly wrote:We've had far more important players jump ship in far worse ways each year after that, how can we be bitter lmao

Only Suarez and now Salah have been more important than him lol. And only Sterling moved to a direct rival.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:45 pm

rincon wrote:I mean, how is it even debatable that Villa, Ibra and Eto were better than Torres?

I don't know whether or not it's intentional, but I swear, every time you and Freeza reply to my posts, whether it's about politics or whatever, I find myself having to counter an argument that makes no sense according to my intended argument. I can't tell whether or not you're trolling. I said in my initial post that I disagree that Torres is overrated, and that is still my one and only argument. He was widely considered to be the top striker in the world when he was at his absolute best, and considering that, I find it odd that people are now saying he was overrated. I don't remember how the other players you mentioned performed during the same time, or how close to their peak form they were, but it doesn't matter - point stands, Torres was legit when he was at his best. I'm pretty sure mr. smallest penis in the universe, Sports, even agreed at the time that he was the top striker in the world. In that moment, anyway. Everyone seems to have rated him appropriately low before and after, so I don't know where the Torres vs Ibra, Villa, Drogba, Eto'o argument came from. Do you mean that they all peaked at the same time? Like the title says, he was largely a one season wonder, but I disagree that he was never 'that great of a striker'. That said, 'great striker' can be interpreted in different ways.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:19 am

Calma with the overreaction. As usual, read your own post. You replied to Firenze saying that he was the most elite striker in the world and the top performer in his position. That's the post I replied to and quoted, also using one of the same examples Firenze used, Villa. It's not our fault that you dont remember the great strikers at the time when claiming he was the best one.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:03 am

M99 wrote:
Nishankly wrote:We've had far more important players jump ship in far worse ways each year after that, how can we be bitter lmao

Only Suarez and now Salah have been more important than him lol. And only Sterling moved to a direct rival.

Torres was shit at Liverpool at that time, he wasn't important at all.
We sold a finished player for 50m (then record PL transfer), I don't know how can anyone be mad at that kind of move. I was surprised Chelsea offered that kind of money for a player that's been out of form for so long.
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:45 pm

sportsczy wrote:He's right. Berbatov was a beast.

Torres at his top was better, of course. Berbatov might edge him in his career overall, I think it's debatable. I'd put them around the same level.

Different strikers though. But I appreciate the love for Berbatov here, he was incredible. Never seen such a technically gifted striker in my life

Still, this thread is ridiculous, Torres in his prime was the striker no one wanted to be up against. He was a terror for the defense with his speed and finishing, not to mention he could get up in the air and score headers as well. Linked very well with another striker or AM. As mentioned, injuries were his downfall, we all know this by now. That's not a dent on his ability at the top though, one of the best strikers in the world and he had all the tools to make defenses fear going up against him
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:47 pm

No man.  The Berbatov of Leverkusen and the Spurs was unbelievable.  He just lost his way at Man U.

His skill level was the closest thing to Ibra.  Unbelievable technique.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:21 pm

He's the last CF to break into the Ballon d'Or shortlist during the Messi-Ronaldo era.

He wasn't consistent, but at his speak, he was unplayable. I do agree that he's not among the very best CFs in history, but calling him a one-season wonder is a little harsh as he clearly delivered for more than just one.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 pm

The Demon of Carthage wrote:He's the last CF to break into the Ballon d'Or shortlist during the Messi-Ronaldo era.

He wasn't consistent, but at his speak, he was unplayable. I do agree that he's not among the very best CFs in history, but calling him a one-season wonder is a little harsh as he clearly delivered for more than just one.
Thumbs up
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:01 pm

CBarca wrote:
sportsczy wrote:He's right. Berbatov was a beast.

Torres at his top was better, of course. Berbatov might edge him in his career overall, I think it's debatable. I'd put them around the same level.

Different strikers though. But I appreciate the love for Berbatov here, he was incredible. Never seen such a technically gifted striker in my life
No way Berbatov was more technically gifted than Ibra
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 pm

The Demon of Carthage wrote:He's the last CF to break into the Ballon d'Or shortlist during the Messi-Ronaldo era.

This is not really an argument. The BdO is a popularity contest, not a statement of quality.

In any case, being a one season wonder and being a BdO nominee are not mutually exclusive.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:47 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Art Morte wrote:Well here goes: I think Torres, Alonso, Carragher and Rafa are all a bit overrated.

Why don't you go ahead and post this at all the other oh-so-great Liverpool forums you're frequenting when you're bored with us? The young, lively ones with the better intercoursetraffic ?
See what they say?

But no, if you want to be yourself, you come crawling back, because you know damn well we're the only  ones that love you as you are

I thought we had an understanding on this, some of my needs have to be satisfied elsewhere.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 pm

My Av is Torres and Gerrard ffs.

They guy was amazing for 1 year but then he never lived up, we still talk about him like its 2008 even though he's had years after that. Overrated and doesn't deserve it because LFC won nothing with him
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2