BarcaLearning
Hapless_Hans
Nishankly
Jay29
55 posters

Page 23 of 23 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23

Go down

Who will reach the final?

WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 23 Vote_lcap46%WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 23 Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 11 ]
WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 23 Vote_lcap54%WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 23 Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 24

WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 23 Empty Re: WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia

Post by breva Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:07 pm

I have no problem with enthusiastic fans singing, nor do I feel it was arrogant. I merely stated that it was not self deprecating. I suspect that some may not know what self-deprecating means. For everyone's information, it means:

"belittling or undervaluing oneself; excessively modest."

I cannot see how the English media and fans were exhibiting self-deprecation.

breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia - Page 23 Empty Re: WC 2018 | Semi-Finals | England vs Croatia

Post by Unique Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 pm

breva wrote:I have no problem with enthusiastic fans singing, nor do I feel it was arrogant. I merely stated that it was not self deprecating. I suspect that some may not know what self-deprecating means. For everyone's information, it means:

dude you got to let it go. This hatred of the English will just give you sleepless nights. There’s no point losing sleep about something you can do nothing about. Laughing
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 pm

breva wrote:I have no problem with enthusiastic fans singing, nor do I feel it was arrogant. I merely stated that it was not self deprecating. I suspect that some may not know what self-deprecating means. For everyone's information, it means:

We've been singing it for years man Laughing

You and others are basically getting annoyed at a massive in-joke.

This world cup has opened my eyes to how little some countries simply don't understand sarcasm, self-deprecating humour or if not that takes themselves way too seriously.

I'm done with this though, if you want to get annoyed at something so harmless then go ahead.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 pm

I will say one thing though, I wish some of you would meet an English person (who isn't a dickhead) irl and talk about football.

You'll quickly realise the large majority of us *bleep* hated the national team before this tournament and have done for close to 2 decades.

Everyone thinks we suck and think we are going to fail every damn time.

This idea we are arrogant and expect to win is absolutely preposterous, you won't find a set of fans who are more negative about their country than us.

Positivity is a hard thing to find since the 90s, come to think of it this would be an awful conversation tbh Laughing but it would open a lot of eyes.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 pm

I mean it's more ironic than self deprecating, but that's why I described it as both in the original post in question.

Football's coming home IS belittling the country and it's footballing achievements. It IS modest because English fans are chanting that they expect *bleep* all from the tournament. Everything that happened after the tournament started was once it entered meme territory.

But I agree with Mole, you can continue on this conversation on semantics if you like (and continue to move the goal posts, too), but I think I've said what I've said and I'll leave it there
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Agreed with that mole

I think spending some time in England helped me understand that a bit (and also that England is a nation where self deprecating humor is very widespread, probably more than anywhere else I've been)
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:10 am

It's how life is Laughing

I couldn't imagine a world where everyone doesn't take the piss out of themselves and others.

Not sure I'd survive tbh, I don't know anything else other than calling myself a moron and calling my best mate a dickhead.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:28 am

Not seeing the issue with Southgate's Brave 11 gaining the admiration of his nation for leading England to a semi-final with, lets be honest, not that great of a team. England played well, the luck of the draw was with them in having a piss-poor group outside of Belgium and benefiting from a second place finish- but none of that is their problem but rather their blessing.

They were the biggest memers of the tournament, they were a bright spot of a great World Cup.

There are FAR worse fans than the proper English lads, especially the ones on this forum who make up the top 1% of our posters [Unique dilutes this statistic on his own, can't wait for him to Google 'dilutes'].

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 am

Luca wrote:Not seeing the issue with Southgate's Brave 11 gaining the admiration of his nation for leading England to a semi-final with, lets be honest, not that great of a team. England played well, the luck of the draw was with them in having a piss-poor group outside of Belgium and benefiting from a second place finish- but none of that is their problem but rather their blessing.

They were the biggest memers of the tournament, they were a bright spot of a great World Cup.

There are FAR worse fans than the proper English lads, especially the ones on this forum who make up the top 1% of our posters [Unique dilutes this statistic on his own, can't wait for him to Google 'dilutes'].
i told you before I don’t give a *bleep* what you or anyone thinks of me. Anyone that visits England can have my full name address and post code and can come and see me and sort out any problems they have with me. But one thing I won’t do and that’s tell people what I think they want to hear to get on the good side of a bunch of internet pussies. Every think I say I mean. And tbh if I said some of the stuff I really think about certain people not only would I get banned for life I could also be arrested for it so you can use your imagination for that. But my offer stands to anyone including you boy.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 am

I think you googled the wrong word hmm

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 am

Luca wrote:I think you googled the wrong word hmm
it’s getting late tonight and I’m off to bed soon but I tell you what if your up for it and would like to talk things over with me I will pm you my phone number tomorrow and you can ring me.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:57 am

Unique wrote:

dude you got to let it go. This hatred of the English will just give you sleepless nights. There’s no point losing sleep about something you can do nothing about. Laughing

Let go of what? The definition of a word in English?
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 am

calm down guys

don't take this too serious

lets have a nice conversation

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:58 am

i told you before I don’t give a *bleep* what you or anyone thinks of me. Anyone that visits England can have my full name address and post code and can come and see me and sort out any problems they have with me. But one thing I won’t do and that’s tell people what I think they want to hear to get on the good side of a bunch of internet pussies. Every think I say I mean. And tbh if I said some of the stuff I really think about certain people not only would I get banned for life I could also be arrested for it so you can use your imagination for that. But my offer stands to anyone including you boy.

imo this is one of the greatest posts GL has ever spawned :bow:
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 23 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23