Great Leader Sprucenuce
Babun
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Croatia Appreciation Thread Empty Croatia Appreciation Thread

Post by Babun Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:35 pm

Quoting myself from the Group D Thread:
Babun wrote:My money is on Croatia beating Argentine comfortably. They have got a goat mitfield with Modric+Rakitic, insider info on how to stop Messi (again Rakitic and Modric), very annoying, hard working and strong in the air forwards. They attack wide which is a big weakness of this Argentinian selection. They also counter with very fast paced players. I don't see how Argentine is supposed to win. It is not about Messi at all, he will hardly see the ball in areas which matter.

Croatia are legit WC title contenders. I thought before the tournament that they had the potential with Modric+Rakitic and a proper backbone of fighters. After 2 games, I am sure now that they are indeed legit contenders. I am also of the opinion Argentina would have lost no matter who they would have fielded today. The gap of quality in defence and midfield was too high. As a Real Madrid fan, I can say that Messi was not at fault at all today, he didn't do anything wrong, he wasn't allowed to do anything today.
The only thing that could be blamed on him is the decision to take the penalty in the Iceland game.
Croatia Appreciation Thread Missi
That game, they had to win no matter what and Messi is to blame for that.
All hail Croatia and master Modric who was playing CM in defending and AM in attack all game cheers cheers cheers
Give credit where it is due :coffee:

Last edited by Babun on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Croatia Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Croatia Appreciation Thread

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:36 pm

They'll flop the first good team they face, don't be deceived by Argentina being utter trash.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by terrance511 Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:36 pm

do u have more of gif like your sig?
terrance511
terrance511
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:They'll flop the first good team they face, don't be deceived by Argentina being utter trash.

Argentina aren't such a bad team like people make them out to be. They were outplayed today or better said, one plays as well as the opponent allows one to. Instead of bashing Argentina for not showing up today, we should give credit to the team which outplayed them. It wasn't an easy match.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 pm

I don’t appreciate your spelling but I do appreciate your vision

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:50 pm

We'll see, i'm leaning towards the side that Argentina are terrible made them look better than they are though.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:We'll see, i'm leaning towards the side that Argentina are terrible made them look better than they are though.

When you gift a team a goal like Argentina did then it’s hard to disagree to be honest. Yet, I quite like Croatia’s team and they play well together

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 pm

I would have to agree with Mole tbh.

They took out Spain convincingly in the Euros too and then proceeded to lose to an underwhelming Portugal. They could choke when it matters. History has shown us that.

They might as well be a dark horse of this tournament at this point though but i'll reserve my judgement about them being a legit WC title contender for now.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:00 pm

S wrote:I would have to agree with Mole tbh.

They took out Spain convincingly in the Euros too and then proceeded to lose to an underwhelming Portugal. They could choke when it matters. History has shown us that.

They might as well be a dark horse of this tournament at this point though but i'll reserve my judgement about them being a legit WC title contender for now.

Portugal were in top form and played the type of game Croatia doesn't suit: counter attacking with deep defence. Prime Pepe and Bruno Alves were clutch defenders.
There are two teams they could lose gainst this time around. I'd say France and Uruguay, the others are doable from their perspective.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Portugal won the euros so that's hardly a blemish on them. They won their euro group with Spain and will win it now with Argentina. Those are very good results from Croatia.

I was on the hype train in the euros and that Portugal game let me down. I've been on the hype train in the WC and its already worth it Molenation

Even if they go out against the next big team, 5-0 so far and a 3-0 vs Argentina is nice.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Luca wrote:
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:We'll see, i'm leaning towards the side that Argentina are terrible made them look better than they are though.

When you gift a team a goal like Argentina did then it’s hard to disagree to be honest. Yet, I quite like Croatia’s team and they play well together

Croatia's aggressive forwards were constantly pressing and causing trouble to Argentine CBs and Caballero, a mistake from Argentina's defence/GK was bound to happen
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm not sure Caballero trying to chip Rebic in a lobbed pass to Mercado was something that 'had' to happen

It's a gifted goal, not to say Croatia didn't have chances before this to make it 1-0, or that the game ended here but it's how I view the play. Thoroughly deserved from Croatia in every way though

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:06 pm

Luca wrote:I'm not sure Caballero trying to chip Rebic in a lobbed pass to Mercado was something that 'had' to happen

It's a gifted goal, not to say Croatia didn't have chances before this to make it 1-0, or that the game ended here but it's how I view the play. Thoroughly deserved from Croatia in every way though

He's got a point in the sense that the backrow was nervous/ erratic due to constant pressure from Croatian forwards. Actually, Messi, Aguero and Meza did some good pressing of their own and forced mistakes in the Croatian half, too. The battle was lost in midfield and defence.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Croatia is all about the midfield. That will keep them in most games and they'll also compete against elite teams. However, I think they have three issues in such a long tournament:
- They're very old and without much depth
- Everything other than the midfield isn't all that good
- They don't have a good scorer. In every tournament, there comes a game where you need a ruthless finisher than can score against the grain of play (we had Griezmann against Germany in the Euro as an example)

Good team. Great to watch. Remains to be seen how good. Not quite ready to make them a contender... because I checked out a couple of Argentina's WC qualifying games and this performance was not an aberration believe it or not.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 pm

They're good, sure, but I agree they'll go out against the first contender they face.

They won because of an own-goal and a penalty vs Nigeria

They won against us because of a keeper mistake, the last 2 goals were scored against us when we went full kamikaze trying get the equalizer

Again not trying to bring them down, but I didn't see anything to suggest they're amazing, they're simply a team with good players that work as a well oiled machine.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:32 am

We're became unstoppable after the Kalinic departure, I want to believe it Molenation
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 am

They completely dominated Nigeria and this Argentina team, both not that bad but not good teams either. I thought their defense would be average is still not sure, in attack they are not spectacular but good threats. They are far from the favourites but good enough to have a slight chance if they continue to perform at this or even higher level.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:56 am

Croatia's path to a potential semi-final doesnt look all that impossible but they're mostly going to be facing defensive minded teams in the knockouts. Pretty certain now they'll face Denmark in the Round of 16 which is potential banana skin for them.

And then maybe one of Uruguay or Portugal in the quarters. IMO its 50-50 against either of these teams.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 am

Crazy that a country of just 4 million people manages to produce better midfielders than Countries like France, Italy, and England. I hope a GL member from the Balkans could shed some light on their grassroots system. hmm

Kovacic, Modric, and Rakitic are the types of players we've been lacking for years.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by BusterLfc Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:23 am

It really does seem that balkan produces only great midfielders, there are good players in other positions but the midfield is so stacked.. Modric, Kovacic, Rakitic, Matic, Milinkovic-Savic, Pjanic
BusterLfc
BusterLfc
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 am

BusterLfc wrote:It really does seem that balkan produces only great midfielders, there are good players in other positions but the midfield is so stacked.. Modric, Kovacic, Rakitic, Matic, Milinkovic-Savic, Pjanic

Former Yugoslavia would've had the best midfield in the World by a landslide. Laughing
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by GRude Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Survey says no eritage no trophy
Croatia just a Dinaric Holland

Never bet on a serial loser or the group stages. Last Champions to dominate from the group stages to the final was 16 years ago.
GRude
GRude
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 pm

A nation of just 4 million people making the final :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:10 pm

:coffee:
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Its more or less cultural and tradition I think where a country tends to produce certain type(s) of players by a result of these factors. They have always been technical as well as very hard working, another football crazy nation from what I understand. Really earned the worlds respect at this WC I think.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next