Great Leader Sprucenuce
Robespierre
S
Firenze
Art Morte
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Biggest positive surprises of the season Empty Biggest positive surprises of the season

Post by Art Morte Wed May 16, 2018 7:17 pm

I don't like being too positive, but I thought I'd follow up the flops thread with a positive surprises thread.

And notice the wording, not necessarily the best players, but players who did surprisingly well.

From the Prem:

Trent Alexander Arnold Schwarzenegger II: A 19-yo who capped his fine season off by going to the World Cup. Had Clyne not been injured, AA would probably on loan at Ipswich, so a very fat silver lining there.

Andrew Robertson: Another Liverpool full-back who had a real breakthrough season. Rumours going around that he'll be used a make-weight to bring Suarez back to Anfield and be the long-term Marcelo replacement.

Mo Salah: Just wow.

Nick Pope: The Burnley keeper will be qualifying for the Europa League and got a WC call-up.

Richarlison: Arrived to the PL like a boss with 5 goals and 8 assists.

Pascal Gross: But trust the Germans do it better, unless it's winning wars; Gross recorded 7 goals and 8 assists in his debut season at Brighton.

Marko Arnautovic: 11 goals and 7 assists in an ailing West Ham attack assured their regrettable survival.

Wenger: Actually finally left (or was sacked respectfully).

Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Biggest positive surprises of the season Empty Re: Biggest positive surprises of the season

Post by Firenze Wed May 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Ashley Young's emergence as an elite LB at the not so young age of 32

Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Biggest positive surprises of the season Empty Re: Biggest positive surprises of the season

Post by S Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Man United managing to finish in CL spots

Not sure I'm supposed to be positively surprised by this though
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Stop bringing your pettiness in this thread ffs. I'm genuinely curious about other leagues like Serie A and France. Think Arte managed to cover most of the PL standouts.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 pm

I didn't expect Skriniar was so good.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Firenze wrote:Ashley Young's emergence as an elite LB at the not so young age of 32

That happened before this season. Was a continuation much like Valencia's move to full-back.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed May 16, 2018 7:44 pm

I really dislike his name, I don't know how to pronounce it

not too surprising to me as the eastern bloc countries produce great CB's IMO

I wonder if Inter will be able to keep him? I already see some links from rubbish sources, but clubs are at least aware of him in a market where good CB's are scarce
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed May 16, 2018 7:44 pm

Ok.

Asamoah for Juve although its more down to Sandro being completely useless this season.

Roma making Champions league semi-final in EDF's first season just after losing club legend Totti the previous year

Lazio scoring like 90 goals in Serie A with Immobile scoring a 3rd of them

Skriniar becoming an important figure in Inter's defense in only his first year (i am just surprised by this)

etc etc
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed May 16, 2018 7:51 pm

Mo Diame becoming a dominant midfielder after Lascelles punched him in the face is probably my biggest personal surprise tbh.

The rest pretty much held to form.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed May 16, 2018 8:23 pm

-Under for Roma, out performed many of their established forwards.
-Alisson, also for Roma, been the best keeper in Italy by some distance, after losing Szczesny who was a top keeper the season before
-Torreira, in the first half of the season especially, Sampdoria were in the top 4 hunt in large part due to him
-Skriniar, he's been one of the best defenders in Serie A
-Luis Alberto, so vital to Lazio's amazing attack. He's probably one of the less talked about protagonists

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed May 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Mo Diame becoming a dominant midfielder after Lascelles punched him in the face is probably my biggest personal surprise tbh.

The rest pretty much held to form.

I don't think anyone's going to remember this, but I used to hype Mo Diame and Nzonzi when they were still at West Ham and Stoke respectively. Been taking some real pleasure from both of them going on to some under-the-radar / underrated careers since then.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 pm

It's honestly really a funny one, he was pretty much a guy who would last 10 minutes and look like he would collapse.

Unreal level of un-fitness, but since Lascelles got in his face and basically told him to be better he's basically been our best player and the reason we ended the season really strong.

He's honestly looked like Yaya at times Laughing definitely the most shocking aspect of our season tbh as I pretty much accepted he was never really going to offer anything.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed May 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:It's honestly really a funny one, he was pretty much a guy who would last 10 minutes and look like he would collapse.

Unreal level of un-fitness, but since Lascelles got in his face and basically told him to be better he's basically been our best player and the reason we ended the season really strong.

He's honestly looked like Yaya at times Laughing definitely the most shocking aspect of our season tbh as I pretty much accepted he was never really going to offer anything.

That is what got me to hype him up in the first place. He's got that uncanny side-step under pressure that I don't see any Brexit lads have. Looks built like a train, but then he's gone off tracks and past you. I always thought he was a poor man's Yaya and am really pleased for him to come back up from the Championship and be a Premier League force again.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Alisson, Skriniar, Cristante, Luis Alberto, Immobile

Roma making the CL semi

Udinese in the relegation fight to the last matchday

90 point team as runner up

Last edited by rincon on Wed May 16, 2018 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Wed May 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Griezmann performing in a final.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed May 16, 2018 10:06 pm

rincon wrote:Luis Alberto

I saw him being involved in plenty of Lazio goals when checking the score on Livescore on weekends, but I've never actually watched him play since he left Liverpool. Did he have a good season in the sense of cementing his place at Lazio or a good season in the sense of attracting offers from other clubs?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed May 16, 2018 10:08 pm

Suso and Luis Alberto are some of the best attacking talents in Serie A lol, kinda wild tbh.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed May 16, 2018 10:08 pm

Art Morte wrote:

I saw him being involved in plenty of Lazio goals when checking the score on Livescore on weekends, but I've never actually watched him play since he left Liverpool. Did he have a good season in the sense of cementing his place at Lazio or a good season in the sense of attracting offers from other clubs?

It's a bit difficult to distinguish between the two. Lazio plays basically one way, and that's forward in a very atypical Italian way. Immobile gets a lot of the praise because of the amount of goals he scores and after that it's about Sergej because of the hype, Luis Alberto goes a bit under the radar but has just been class for Lazio this season. He creates, scores and makes the attack tick

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed May 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Firenze wrote:Suso and Luis Alberto are some of the best attacking talents in Serie A lol, kinda wild tbh.

Suso is a scrub. The poorest version of Robben with the one move except he isn't half as good at it. Luis Alberto has been much better.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Firenze wrote:Suso and Luis Alberto are some of the best attacking talents in Serie A lol, kinda wild tbh.

You need to step up. This is Unique level trolling now

Even a Milan version of Tye(if ever there's one) wouldnt rate Suso
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Luca wrote:
Art Morte wrote:

It's a bit difficult to distinguish between the two. Lazio plays basically one way, and that's forward in a very atypical Italian way. Immobile gets a lot of the praise because of the amount of goals he scores and after that it's about Sergej because of the hype, Luis Alberto goes a bit under the radar but has just been class for Lazio this season. He creates, scores and makes the attack tick

All right, happy for him. Seemed like a nice lad at Liverpool, only perhaps too nice. I guess he must have added some arrogance to his game to have the season he's had.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 pm

Suso was getting considerable hype last season and you know it. Maybe he declined a lot this season back to his true level, but don't pretend he wasn't well rated the year before.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed May 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Mattia De Sciglio i was positively surprised to watch being average, instead of extremely bad as he was before.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed May 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Art Morte wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the question. He had a great season. After a completely pointless first season where he barely even got into the team he said he got serious about football and hired a mental coach. The result was a sharp player always on point.

Very incisive and direct. His play-making made Lazio a lot more dangerous than expected during Anderson's injury. Even when Anderson came back Luis was doing too well and didn't lose his protagonism.

Lazio's attacking play does open up the possibilities for a playmaker to shine as players are always making runs and Immobile is in extraterrestrial form for them. Luis's through balls allowed it though so it worked very well.

Last edited by rincon on Wed May 16, 2018 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed May 16, 2018 10:19 pm

I'll always have a soft spot for players that can score goals like this. Not the fastest, not the strongest, but creative and smart enough to make it happen on the field

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next