Kaladin
CBarca
RealGunner
Hapless_Hans
Firenze
49 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

BREXIT Premier League 17-18 Discussion Part 7 - Page 2 Empty Re: BREXIT Premier League 17-18 Discussion Part 7

Post by Luca Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Don't let Conte fool you with this line of reasoning.

He was also the same guy who said that Juventus couldn't afford to compete in the CL, to paraphrase, couldn't afford to eat at the restaurant. Allegri took that team to the CL final in his first season.

And who was Conte denied at Juventus? He inherited a 7th place team that spent a boatload in its first season and even snagged a player like Vidal on the cheap before signing Pogba the next season.

Also, to call Juventus or Chelsea a "poverty" club is an injustice to clubs that literally are unable to sign a single player without selling an existing one. Neither fall into the category.

Conte also beat a Belgium team convincingly with Eder and Pelle up front. Nice when it works, also a nice cop out when it doesn't go to plan

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

BREXIT Premier League 17-18 Discussion Part 7 - Page 2 Empty Re: BREXIT Premier League 17-18 Discussion Part 7

Post by sportsczy Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Well it's true that neither Juve nor Chelsea are competing to buy elite players... Chelsea could actually. Not sure why they don't anymore. Juve... you have Serie A realities you need to deal with and ownership who cannot spend casually.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:19 pm

sportsczy wrote:Well it's true that neither Juve nor Chelsea are competing to buy elite players... Chelsea could actually. Not sure why they don't anymore. Juve... you have Serie A realities you need to deal with and ownership who cannot spend casually.

How much more do we really need to spend? I think you're well out of your depth here

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:22 pm

Chelsea got smart pretty quickly not to continue spending on the market. they built policy that could have delivered courtois, salah, De bruyne, and hazard in the same team.

They continue to spend smart, very well ran club in my opinion
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:28 pm

I don't see what is wrong with what Conte said, he is just explaining how he likely has had transfer targets turned down. That happens with every manager, you ask for the moon and then you settle for something below what you wanted.

Austerity doesn't mean poverty, it just means strict, which was true of Juve who have repeatedly sold a star to reinvest. Recently, Chelsea have had an even lower relative net spend. 15/16: 2m, 16/17: 24m, 17/18: 3m

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:Chelsea got smart pretty quickly not to continue spending on the market. they built policy that could have delivered courtois, salah, De bruyne, and hazard in the same team.

They continue to spend smart, very well ran club in my opinion

60m Morata
35m Danny f'n Drinkwater
25m Zappacosta
36m Bakayoko
31m on Rudiger

that's the complete opposite of smart spending IMO

sure they recouped 60m later from selling Diego Costa but still that's a lot of money on average lads

95% of these teenagers they mass buy have never turned into anything either and they have like 50 of them on loan at a time

but yeah I thank Mou for ostracizing De Bruyne and Salah, that would be a scary team Proud
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:36 pm

vanDEEZ wrote:I don't see what is wrong with what Conte said, he is just explaining how he likely has had transfer targets turned down. That happens with every manager, you ask for the moon and then you settle for something below what you wanted.

Austerity doesn't mean poverty, it just means strict, which was true of Juve who have repeatedly sold a star to reinvest. Recently, Chelsea have had an even lower relative net spend. 15/16: 2m, 16/17: 24m, 17/18: 3m

Which actually isn't true of Conte's Juve

It was Allegri who managed the departures of Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba, Bonucci and co.

I can also bet with some certainty that Morata, Rudiger, Zappacosta, Alonso, the pursuit of Alex Sandro, the current pursuit of Vidal are all heavily Conte influenced moves

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:08 am

Italian Mourinho
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:36 am

Arsene Wenger said he would have gone home and “committed suicide” had Chelsea nicked it at the end.

Good guy Morata :bow:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:37 am

Nishankly wrote:That game is going to be either Liverpool smashing City or City tearing Liverpool to shreds, No other ways about it.

Back onto this game, Conte clearly needs additions, They have no one to trust in that team to turn up. They will lose pace for sure imo.

The two best attacking teams in the league.

0-0 written all over it tbh
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:53 am

We were indeed running an austerity program when Conte was here. His first summer saw a large injection of cash and after that there was almost no money. He keep asking for players who we couldn't sign. We didn't/couldn't sign anyone over 25m. No one left, no one expensive came. He complained too much about it towards the end, sounded like he does now.

Funny thing is he left the moment our finances were about to recover and we started spending big, to go to Chelsea right after they stop indulging managers Laughing

Last edited by rincon on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:58 am

Luca wrote:
vanDEEZ wrote:I don't see what is wrong with what Conte said, he is just explaining how he likely has had transfer targets turned down. That happens with every manager, you ask for the moon and then you settle for something below what you wanted.

Which actually isn't true of Conte's Juve

It was Allegri who managed the departures of Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba, Bonucci and co.

I can also bet with some certainty that Morata, Rudiger, Zappacosta, Alonso, the pursuit of Alex Sandro, the current pursuit of Vidal are all heavily Conte influenced moves

Rudiger was like third choice after they failed to sign Koulibaly and Manolas (who he wanted). Same for Morata. Alex Sandro, Koulibaly/Manolas and Belotti were his. Most likely not David Luiz, Rudiger, Drinkwater, Bakayoko. Definitely selling Matic to a rival was not him either.

It seems he'll be bound for a club like PSG in the near future.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:53 am

Hardly poverty options Rincon. Nor were they exactly cheap signings.

All I’m saying is, their team isn’t near what a poverty team is to me.

Some of their signings may be considered lesser to their standard but I don’t remember this really being concerning until Morata missed a couple 1v1s.

Out of that list, Belotti is the only one with a release clause who would’ve been inclined if they were to meet it. Napoli didn’t sell any key figures and we know that. Alex Sandro wanted to say or else he certainly would’ve been at Chelsea. And between Manolas and Rudiger, that’s just how it went.

Zappacosta, given how late he was signed is probably demonstrative of a more panicked signing but has he been that poor?

I think they’re just feeling the sting of freezing out Luiz, and losing Matic and Diego Costa who have been key players for Chelsea over the last few seasons and were not adequately replaced. Morata, Bakayoko and Rudiger versus Diego Costa, Matic and David Luiz? Pretty easy comparison.

At the time, Juventus spent for what it could. We still made great signings considering our position but these projects take time. It’s not comparable to Chelsea right now in my opinion. Excluding the Prem money, Chelsea were already in much better shape than Juve was at the time, even if they had a really down season before Conte.

This is just why I rate Allegri higher. He carries himself differently and brought us to new heights that Conte lacked the vision to achieve.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 am

I don't agree with Conte nor like all his complaining. I'm just pointing things out.

Chelsea spent a bunch of money on bad signings. Most people called it.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:12 am

Do agree with rincon(rarely agree with him tbh)

Based on my observations of watching/following Juve a bit, Conte dint spend much at Juve except for his 1st season.

Agree with his Chelsea assessment too
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 am

Small event today as Spurs host West Ham. Ez Spurs win tonight.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:25 am

rincon wrote:I don't agree with Conte nor like all his complaining. I'm just pointing things out.

Chelsea spent a bunch of money on bad signings. Most people called it.

I agree that they spent money poorly but that's not the same as saying he wasn't able to do what he wanted signing wise. Every one of those signings, to me, scream of a Conte signing.

At Juve, the situation was not comparable at the time for obvious reasons. I was merely pointing out that he was not the guy who had to figure out who to deal with key departures, he didn't have any, all that actually began once he left- Pirlo, Pogba, Vidal, Bonucci, Tevez, Morata and etc.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Wilshere - "I’ve been dairy & gluten free now for 6 weeks. I think I look better. I’ve certainly lost a little bit of weight. I’m leaner & probably fitter as well. I feel I can last longer. At the end [against Chelsea] when we scored the second goal I thought ‘Come on, we can go again’ I felt good"

Laughing I guess if he feels better then that's good, but LMAO at "cutting out gluten". No clue about whether cutting out dairy is good or not.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Gluten free diet is a thing. Federer does it too.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:27 pm

Carroll on the bench wtf
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Nishankly wrote:Carroll on the bench wtf
he can only manage 6 games per season.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Can't believe im watching this tonight, Make me proud tonight @GOAT league
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:46 pm

RealGunner wrote:Gluten free diet is a thing. Federer does it too.

Scientifically it does absolutely zero for the body unless you have celiac disease. In fact, the diet is more harmful than healthy.

Like I said, if it makes him feel better fair enough, but it's a placebo. Athletes aren't smart people Laughing
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 pm

lets hope west ham can get a result tonight.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 pm

How is Kane receiving every ball at his feet within the West Ham Box. Unreal scrubness from West Ham.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Unique wrote:lets hope west ham can get a result tonight.

See, Unique has the right idea. Worried about his 4th place rivals, unlike Nishankly thinking they're going to finish 2nd. Proud
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next