Valkyrja
Firenze
Kaladin
Harmonica
S
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Wayne Rooney appreciation thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Wayne Rooney appreciation thread

Post by The Franchise Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:25 am

Wayne got some explaining to do but he can probably pull it.

Simple kiss on the check and Abe Simpson style nap in the arm chair while them thots took pictures.

I say innocent.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wayne Rooney appreciation thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Wayne Rooney appreciation thread

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:36 pm

he did nothing wrong
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:10 pm

You know, I stick by what I said about hi in the first page of this thread, which essentially boiled down to: the guy was a versatile player and didn't score as much as he probably should have because Fergie used his versatility to really play a supporting striker/AM than an out and out striker.

In retrospect, I wonder how much of that was on Fergie, and how much was on Rooney. He was always a stocky player, but how well did he keep in shape? I don't recall the injuries he had, but what happened to the player he was in the first couple years of United.

Seeing his play at his first couple years (first 4-5 years) in United vs the years he played in the last 5 or 6, it was a stark difference. He was somewhat electric in his first couple years iirc. Did Fergie convert him to play deeper because he no longer possessed the speed he once did, or because he didn't keep himself in top shape? Or was it merely something he asked of Rooney for the benefit of the team?

Arguably, Fergie was always searching for a guy who could play the role that later career Rooney did (hence his buying Berbatov for what was a pretty penny at the time), so it just makes me wonder.

United fans or others have any comment?
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:17 pm

Rooney had a great gas tank and just never really stopped so thats one. The next is that he had a very underrated creative side that was exploited brilliantly in that role.

Naturally, he was rather unorthodox for a striker and lead the line so well along with being comfortable deeper, that it would be silly not to further use that.

SAF generally sacrificed a lot of player traits just for the overall team so it did not benefit his goal-rate but definitely brought out another dimension to him.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:20 pm

But no doubt weight-gain was an factor since he had poor discipline and pissed away his chances of lengthening his career.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:19 pm

CBarca wrote:You know, I stick by what I said about hi in the first page of this thread, which essentially boiled down to: the guy was a versatile player and didn't score as much as he probably should have because Fergie used his versatility to really play a supporting striker/AM than an out and out striker.

In retrospect, I wonder how much of that was on Fergie, and how much was on Rooney. He was always a stocky player, but how well did he keep in shape? I don't recall the injuries he had, but what happened to the player he was in the first couple years of United.

Seeing his play at his first couple years (first 4-5 years) in United vs the years he played in the last 5 or 6, it was a stark difference. He was somewhat electric in his first couple years iirc. Did Fergie convert him to play deeper because he no longer possessed the speed he once did, or because he didn't keep himself in top shape? Or was it merely something he asked of Rooney for the benefit of the team?

Arguably, Fergie was always searching for a guy who could play the role that later career Rooney did (hence his buying Berbatov for what was a pretty penny at the time), so it just makes me wonder.

My honest opinion is that Rooney is probably the best English player i have ever seen in my life. I mean everyone says that he could have gone up another level which is probably true considering his talent but what he achieved despite that is remarkable.

I don't think he was ever a natural 9. He was always a 9.5 and it was just because of his explosiveness he was played upfront because he was that good. I agree he was a great finisher and could have scored 50-100 more if he always played as a 9 but his natural instinct was always to drop deeper. The best United side in my life was where Rooney supported Ronaldo and Tevez. I think that was just his best role in the end. He was the messi before messi.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:22 pm

2010 Rooney was a completely different animal
i agree with Arq, Rooney had an underrated creative side to him that needed exploring so it almost would have been criminal not to drop him deeper at some point and let him have a bigger impact on the game.

the best English PL player of all-time imo
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:38 am

RealGunner wrote:
CBarca wrote:You know, I stick by what I said about hi in the first page of this thread, which essentially boiled down to: the guy was a versatile player and didn't score as much as he probably should have because Fergie used his versatility to really play a supporting striker/AM than an out and out striker.

My honest opinion is that Rooney is probably the best English player i have ever seen in my life. I mean everyone says that he could have gone up another level which is probably true considering his talent but what he achieved despite that is remarkable.

I don't think he was ever a natural 9. He was always a 9.5 and it was just because of his explosiveness he was played upfront because he was that good. I agree he was a great finisher and could have scored 50-100 more if he always played as a 9 but his natural instinct was always to drop deeper. The best United side in my life was where Rooney supported Ronaldo and Tevez. I think that was just his best role in the end. He was the messi before messi.

As Arq said he was remarkably gifted technically and in his creativity and vision given his general build, temperament, and looks, which all seem more like a bulldog.

This is a nice writeup.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:19 am

I mean like every English big star names, Rooney too peaked early and kind of slowed down towards the end. Still a remarkable player mind. One of our greats for sure. The constant overhyping and overplaying never helps. Rashford is going down the same route now sadly it seems. The next in the line is probably Saka. As for the Rooney's case, his smoking and other ill habits contributed. Had he looked after himself a tad better, he would have gone on to become one of the all time greats, such was was his scary potential.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:41 am

I think Rooney didnt quite reach his full potential. He was a great player but he had another level he didnt fully reach.

Maybe some of it was the players he had around him, limiting himself to fit in with the collection of talent Utd had, playing all over the place instead of being selfish and insisting on playing his true position. Add that to, surely not the most dedicated off field stuff and probably that's why he didnt reach what I think he could have.

At his best he was very good, everyone has already explained it well.

But the best Rooney I actually saw was him as a 18-19 year old vs France. He was raw as hell (in a good way), he was tearing Thuram, Gallas, Makelele and whoever came across him, a new one.

I genuinely think, as great as we was in other seasons and probably putting up better statistics in some, the 18-19 Rooney was the best one.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:00 pm

The Franchise wrote:
I genuinely think, as great as we was in other seasons and probably putting up better statistics in some, the 18-19 Rooney was the best one.

It's just funny because you can say the same for Owen lol
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum