Glory
Firenze
Great Leader Sprucenuce
42 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

RIP Johan Cruyff  - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Johan Cruyff

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Casciavit wrote:Last month he said his battle was going well, and it was like he was 2-0 up at half time. pale

Sadly, Cruyff's cancer battle apparently was coached by Louis van Gaal Neutral

Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Johan Cruyff has a very special way of looking at soccer, and an equally distinctive way of talking about it.

It was Cruyff’s vision on the field that made him one of the greatest players of all time—seeing passes that no one else could see, but also being aware of the ebb and flow of a game and knowing how to control it. So when Cruyff talks, people listen.

A Cruyff quote grabs your attention not just for its insight, but also for the supreme certainty with which he delivers it. He may seem arrogant, but that’s only because he thinks he knows everything.

The 25 quotes below, taken from throughout Cruyff’s days as a player, then coach, then pundit, offer a window into the way Cruyff sees soccer—and they just might change the way you see the game.

1. Technique is not being able to juggle a ball 1000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is passing the ball with one touch, with the right speed, at the right foot of your team mate.

2. Someone who has juggled the ball in the air during a game, after which four defenders of the opponent get the time to run back, that’s the player people think is great. I say he has to go to a circus.

3. Choose the best player for every position, and you’ll end up not with a strong XI, but with 11 strong 1’s.

4. In my teams, the goalie is the first attacker, and the striker the first defender.

5. Why couldn’t you beat a richer club? I’ve never seen a bag of money score a goal.

6. I always threw the ball in, because then if I got the ball back, I was the only player unmarked.
7. I’m ex-player, ex-technical director, ex-coach, ex-manager, ex-honorary president. A nice list that once again shows that everything comes to an end.

8. Players that aren’t true leaders but try to be, always bash other players after a mistake. True leaders on the pitch already assume others will make mistakes.

9. What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.

10. There’s only one moment in which you can arrive in time. If you’re not there, you’re either too early or too late.

11. Before I make a mistake, I don’t make that mistake.
12. When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average … So, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines wether you’re a good player or not.

13. After you’ve won something, you’re no longer 100 percent, but 90 percent. It’s like a bottle of carbonated water where the cap is removed for a short while. Afterwards there’s a little less gas inside.

14. There is only one ball, so you need to have it.

15. I’m not religious. In Spain all 22 players make the sign of the cross before they enter the pitch. If it works all matches must therefore end in a draw.

16. We must make sure their worst players get the ball the most. You’ll get it back in no time.
17. If you have the ball you must make the field as big as possible, and if you don’t have the ball you must make it as small as possible.

18. Every professional golfer has a seperate coach for his drives, for approaches, for putting. In football we have one coach for 15 players. This is absurd.

19. Surviving the first round is never my aim. Ideally, I’d be in one group with Brazil, Argentina and Germany. Then I’d have lost two rivals after the first round. That’s how I think. Idealisitic.

20. Players today can only shoot with their laces. I could shoot with the inside, laces, and outside of both feet. In other words, I was six times better than today’s players.

21. Quality without results is pointless. Results without quality is boring.
22. There are very few players who know what to do when they’re not marked. So sometimes you tell a player: that attacker is very good, but don’t mark him.

23. I find it terrible when talents are rejected based on computer stats. Based on the criteria at Ajax now I would have been rejected. When I was 15, I couldn’t kick a ball 15 meters with my left and maybe 20 with my right. My qualities technique and vision, are not detectable by a computer.

24. Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.

25. If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.

Ignore the soccer parts lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:24 pm

RIP, he was one of the most iconic footballers of all time.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:26 pm

Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan01 Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:21 pm

I don't know what to say - This hurts!!! RIP Johan!

footyfan01
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:22 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Casciavit wrote:Last month he said his battle was going well, and it was like he was 2-0 up at half time. pale

Sadly, Cruyff's cancer battle apparently was coached by Louis van Gaal Neutral
man that's not funny
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:

Johan Cruyff has a very special way of looking at soccer, and an equally distinctive way of talking about it.

It was Cruyff’s vision on the field that made him one of the greatest players of all time—seeing passes that no one else could see, but also being aware of the ebb and flow of a game and knowing how to control it. So when Cruyff talks, people listen.

A Cruyff quote grabs your attention not just for its insight, but also for the supreme certainty with which he delivers it. He may seem arrogant, but that’s only because he thinks he knows everything.

The 25 quotes below, taken from throughout Cruyff’s days as a player, then coach, then pundit, offer a window into the way Cruyff sees soccer—and they just might change the way you see the game.

1. Technique is not being able to juggle a ball 1000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is passing the ball with one touch, with the right speed, at the right foot of your team mate.

2. Someone who has juggled the ball in the air during a game, after which four defenders of the opponent get the time to run back, that’s the player people think is great. I say he has to go to a circus.

3. Choose the best player for every position, and you’ll end up not with a strong XI, but with 11 strong 1’s.

4. In my teams, the goalie is the first attacker, and the striker the first defender.

5. Why couldn’t you beat a richer club? I’ve never seen a bag of money score a goal.

6. I always threw the ball in, because then if I got the ball back, I was the only player unmarked.
7. I’m ex-player, ex-technical director, ex-coach, ex-manager, ex-honorary president. A nice list that once again shows that everything comes to an end.

8. Players that aren’t true leaders but try to be, always bash other players after a mistake. True leaders on the pitch already assume others will make mistakes.

9. What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.

10. There’s only one moment in which you can arrive in time. If you’re not there, you’re either too early or too late.

11. Before I make a mistake, I don’t make that mistake.
12. When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average … So, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines wether you’re a good player or not.

13. After you’ve won something, you’re no longer 100 percent, but 90 percent. It’s like a bottle of carbonated water where the cap is removed for a short while. Afterwards there’s a little less gas inside.

14. There is only one ball, so you need to have it.

15. I’m not religious. In Spain all 22 players make the sign of the cross before they enter the pitch. If it works all matches must therefore end in a draw.

16. We must make sure their worst players get the ball the most. You’ll get it back in no time.
17. If you have the ball you must make the field as big as possible, and if you don’t have the ball you must make it as small as possible.

18. Every professional golfer has a seperate coach for his drives, for approaches, for putting. In football we have one coach for 15 players. This is absurd.

19. Surviving the first round is never my aim. Ideally, I’d be in one group with Brazil, Argentina and Germany. Then I’d have lost two rivals after the first round. That’s how I think. Idealisitic.

20. Players today can only shoot with their laces. I could shoot with the inside, laces, and outside of both feet. In other words, I was six times better than today’s players.

21. Quality without results is pointless. Results without quality is boring.
22. There are very few players who know what to do when they’re not marked. So sometimes you tell a player: that attacker is very good, but don’t mark him.

23. I find it terrible when talents are rejected based on computer stats. Based on the criteria at Ajax now I would have been rejected. When I was 15, I couldn’t kick a ball 15 meters with my left and maybe 20 with my right. My qualities technique and vision, are not detectable by a computer.

24. Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.

25. If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.

Ignore the soccer parts lol.
:bow: :bow:
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Damn, devastating news to wake up to.

He's undoubtedly one of the greatest footballers all time.

Rest in piece, sweet prince.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:58 pm

RIP the ultimate Creator

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:06 pm

Rest in power; very saddened by the news Sad
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:36 pm

Terrible news. I knew he had cancer but it still shocked and saddened me. I would say he is the most influential individual in the history of sport. He is among the greatest ever in both aspects of the game. RIP.

M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by zenmaster Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:45 pm

RIP.

What a Legend. The legacy will continue.
zenmaster
zenmaster
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:45 pm

The Cruyff Turn!

https://i.imgur.com/fnXNdbx.gif

:bow:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Johan is alive and well. Death can't kill legends.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:54 pm

As an all time great, I actually rate Cruyff higher than both Maradona and Pele.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:27 pm

Don't call me James wrote:As an all time great, I actually rate Cruyff higher than both Maradona and Pele.

Dunno about Pele but I always rated him higher than Maradona and have said so many times and it's not just a case of being nice to a legend who just died sadly.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Cruyff is the most influential footballer of all time, if not the best (I think that distinction belongs to Messi). He was not only a revolutionary player, but a revolutionary mind and laid the foundation for so much of modern football's success.

He has been taken way too early. It's very sad, and the first time I've shed tears at the passing of a celebrity/sports figure.

RIP Cruyff. Your legacy truly does make you immortal.

RIP Johan Cruyff  - Page 2 Ceuqm1hwqaeyxac
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:09 pm

You can find some great Cruyff quotes @Cruyff_Quotes on twitter. Some of my favorites:

"I'm always harder with best ones. Absurd thing would be to tighten those who can't give you more than what they already gave you."

"Football is played with the head (brain) and the feet and when age means you can’t do much with the feet, the head remains."

"People should be able to play in different positions on field. So it's important everyone listens during a tactical conversation. The left winger can't go to sleep when Michels talks about the right-back."

"Defending corners? Solution was 'War of Nerves'. It involved risk. I ordered the attackers to remain in their forward positions."

"Pressuring high limits the amount of running players must do. When you win back the ball, there are 30m to goal rather than 80."

"In a team that plays defensively, the distance to goal for an attacker quickly becomes 50 metres. Defenders have to work less because of that and attackers have to run more. Because I play attacking football, my attackers only have to run 15 metres, unless they're stupid or sleeping."

"I never saw two winners of a cup or league. So, how do other 16-17 teams have a good season? By giving the fans a fantastic time."

"So what's defending? It's a matter of how much space I must defend. If I've to defend the whole garden, I'm the worst defender. If I've to defend this small area, I'm the best defender. Everything is about meters, that's all."

"After you’ve won something, you’re no longer 100%, but 90%. It’s like a bottle of carbonated water where the cap is removed for a short while. Afterwards there’s little less gas inside."

"I am convinced that you have to do it like I do. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be doing it this way."

Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Investors buy 14 Ajax shares at a time in tribute to Johan Cruyff, briefly boost club market value to €160m
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:02 pm

Crying or Very sad
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:57 pm

Thanks to him Barca is what it is now

RIP legend
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:09 pm

As far as I'm concerned he may be the single most influential person in football
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:36 pm

He is football himself.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:45 pm

Incredibly saddened by this.

Legend falls short in describing what he is to this sport. It's an inadequate term full stop. He is transcendent. He embodied everything great and beautiful about this game.

He'll be forever missed by us all. Rest in Peace, 14.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by footyfan01 Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:05 pm

Honestly he was a visionary - I look at what he said - Before the WC he said play Kuyt @ RB & in the end LVG ended up playing him & Kuyt was good.

When Cryuff said this people thought that he was bad!

footyfan01
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:18 pm

On a old interview of Pep on Cruyff

Guardiola said on Cruyff, “Johan is the most influential person in European football in the last 40 or 50 years there is no single person who has changed the mentality and style of play of two impressive clubs such as Ajax & FC Barcelona such as him. Johan made as massive contribution as a player and manager at both clubs.”

”The current Barcelona team that has dominated European and World football the last 15 years cannot be separated by the arrival of Johan Cruyff.

“Would we be able to understand the current Barcelona style of play without Cruyff? Impossible. Naturally we have players such as Messi , Xavi and Iniesta but they are attached to the idea that Johan Cruyff set up.

”There is nobody who has given so much as a player and a manager Johan changed the mentality of Barcelona and Catalonia and the Spanish league. He helped us to understand the game more.

”Yes we appreciate him for the trophies that he won us and there are also other managers that have won more in their career than him for example me, Capello, Sacchi and Mourinho we become judged on the trophies that we win but for him it is his legacy with his style of play that he set up.

”You come somewhere and introduce an idea and maintain it for 20 years that can only be the work of an absolute genius with a strong idea of where you want to go and even in the bad times to continue to play the same way.

”It is thanks to Johan Cruyff that Barcelona are where they are today also the influence that he had on me in my career as a footballer he was one of the most important people in my life on a professional level.

“He was generous in about thinking of others and dedicating his time to them in terms of his knowledge and opinion. I have been very lucky to have him as my manager and a friend ”.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next