Should the penalty area be smaller?

4 posters

Go down

Should the penalty area be smaller? Empty Should the penalty area be smaller?

Post by Art Morte Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:52 pm

Imagine you're watching a good, tight game. Both teams look like they could win it. Nothing between them. Or maybe the underdogs are fighting well and looking like getting a result against the bigger team. Then someone gets tripped in the corner of the box, on a play that didn't look like was going to result in a goal, maybe not even a shot. A penalty is given and a goal scored that greatly changes the match. Do you ever then get a feeling that the receiving team got too big a reward? Do you ever feel your excitement and interest in the match - assuming your team's not playing - lessening?

I sometimes do get that feeling. A big chunk of penalties come from situations where there isn't even a clear goal-scoring chance. It feels like luck comes to play too big a part.

So, this got me thinking, should the penalty area be smaller? What if instead of being 16.5 meters to the front and sides of the goal it was, say, 11 meters? I think I'd personally like that more, because a lot of the penalties that are given in the outer ~5 meters of the penalty area are not clear goal-scoring opportunities. Many players also "fish" for penalties in that area, increasing the number of lucky penalties even more.

Thoughts?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Should the penalty area be smaller? Empty Re: Should the penalty area be smaller?

Post by drakefyre Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:55 pm

free kicks?
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Should the penalty area be smaller? Empty Re: Should the penalty area be smaller?

Post by Art Morte Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:11 pm

Free kicks what? They'd work just the same, if the foul's outside the penalty area, you get a free kick there. Maybe a free kick from 12 meters would be a bit weird at first, but it wouldn't be as great a reward as a penalty.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:16 pm

I'm usually against all unnecessary changes, but this is not too bad of an idea.
Maybe 14 yards or so would suffice.

Mind you though it's not just an advantage for the defending team. The GK would have less area where he can handle the ball either.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:26 pm

i dunno. Direct freekicks that close seems weird, the wall would need more people, and considering they'd be standing practically in the 6 yard box, it'll be really crowded. Otoh, ronaldo may start scoring freekicks again if this was the case ..
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:18 am

No, never make changes that benefit defensive football. Football is boring enough as it is now.
I fanything, it should be made bigger. The penalty area is a place were tackling has to be much more mesured, and hence it benefits the attackers. It's the defenders that need to take care and not tackle someone in the box when there's no danger.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum