Chumlum
Great Leader Sprucenuce
El Gunner
Jay29
14 posters

Go down

Arsenal 4 - 1 Newcastle Empty Arsenal 4 - 1 Newcastle

Post by Jay29 Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:45 pm

A rare exciting performance from us at home against an in-form yet still somehow very average Newcastle team. Both sides were depleted due to absurdly long injury lists, but we at least had our most effective attacking players available to help us break down the Newcastle bus.

In fairness, they didn't park it for the whole game. They had periods of good possession and tried to get back into the game, but seemed to lack the quality to produce a good chance in open play. Our make-shift backline stood up quite well to whatever they threw at us, especially Bellerin and Gibbs, who stopped Newcastle from getting in crosses. Doing that practically cut off half their threat.

Going forward we were the most fluid I've seen us be in a long time. Alexis and Giroud linked up very well throughout the night, while Welbeck played very well without scoring (thouguh he did have a seemingly fair goal ruled out for a minor amount of physical contact). With pacey ball carriers like Bellerin, Chamberlain, Alexis and Welbeck in the team we looked threatening, especially on the counter attack. Very few times tonight did we have to pass it side-to-side for ages in front of all eleven Newcastle players.

Our first three goals were excellent in different ways: the first was quite direct with just four passes involved, leading to an excellent cross and header; the second was a slick passing move resulting in a classy finish; the third was a quick counter attack. It's this sort of attacking variety that we were so excited to see at the start of the season. If only we could see it more often.

I was worried about set-pieces with only one centre back in the team and I was proved right when Ayoze scored. Nothing new to say about that, really. We suck at defending set-pieces on the best of the days, so it's hardly going to get better with smaller players in the team.

Cazorla's panenka wrapped up a comfortable win for us. We're now level on points with Southampton in fifth and two points behind West Ham in fourth and United in third. Hopefully Liverpool can take some points off them tomorrow. Back to back 4-1 wins should do our confidence some good going into a tough run of games against Liverpool, QPR, Southampton and West Ham in a short space of time, but I'm remaining cautious. We haven't been able to muster up a real run of form this season, and we lose players to injury every week.

Tonigth, at least, I've got no complaints. Shame about the goal we conceded but overall it was a fun performance and a great scoreline.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 4 - 1 Newcastle Empty Re: Arsenal 4 - 1 Newcastle

Post by El Gunner Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:17 pm

Yeah nice win for us today.
We weren't really magnificent, but we created chances and we took them well. Giroud had two very class goals. Good to have him back! Cazorla is returning to his best in the last few weeks and that's promising for us, we need a midfielder performing for us at the moment.
Newcastle were really poor imo. It's sort of becoming a trend when we play them at home.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:19 pm

Because we are poor, a few fluke results doesn't change that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Solid performance all around.

Welbeck was unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet with that early shot that IMO was wrongly disqualified. (If that's a legit "foul," then football simply can't be a contact sport at this point, can it?)

Although we shouldn't have such a makeshift back four, they deserve credit for doing pretty well under the circumstances. Though the goal they gave away was pretty ugly.

Ayoze - impressive young player. If he keeps developing like this I think Newcastle will make a lot of money off him in 2016.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:08 pm

on the Champions League draw…

Arsene: "We have been well served in the recent years. Maybe I will go to church over the weekend."

rofl rofl
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:32 pm

main Man Giroud always does well vs Newcastle

but Alexis had one of his best performances
with combination of attributes he offers

cant read too much into some stuff with all players both side missing

we could absorb pressure and keep the ball better last season when leading and seeing games out

now much better equipped to counter attack though
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:02 pm

Great performance and just the win we needed. Well done everyone. :bow:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:29 pm

5 wins out of our last 6 is very good, the fact that we lost to Stoke in that run is what pisses on the parade but we've got some momentum in the side, at least.

Debuchy was infinitely better than Monreal at CB. Aggressive, better aerially, reminded me of Sagna there too. And getting to see Bellerin go on those blistering runs was awesome. He's getting better and better, crossing is clearly a strongpoint of his.

Quick and fluid performance wrinkled by a reminder that we always skip set piece practice at training but another win in style is welcome.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:00 pm

great performance imo. seems like its being downplayed a bit. Newcastle may have been poor but I think we could've beat anyone playing like that.

That's the tempo we need to play at going forward.

Very happy with how Giroud has looked since his return. He's clearly been working hard on the training ground which is great to see.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Razz
Arsenal 4 - 1 Newcastle B4xlIO4IMAElyEU
:whistle:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:49 am

Newcastle didn't defend or attack

Mole's view of Pardew shines through.

Had he just parked, we would have gotten frustrated and they could have hit us on the counter and got a result. But he played us away just like they played Chelsea at home. Not good enough. The majority of managers seem to have figured us out but they came unprepared on how to handle our honestly really predictable gameplan
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:32 am

RealGunner wrote:on the Champions League draw…

Arsene: "We have been well served in the recent years. Maybe I will go to church over the weekend."

rofl rofl

Come to think of it we all need to go to church today.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:43 am

VendettaRed07 wrote:Newcastle didn't defend or attack

Had he just parked, we would have gotten frustrated and they could have hit us on the counter and got a result. But he played us away just like they played Chelsea at home. Not good enough. The majority of managers seem to have figured us out but they came unprepared on how to handle our honestly really predictable gameplan

... and this is why I don't find myself too excited by the win or the scoreline or the performance.

I was telling MJ, Ali and Anjl yesterday - this wasn't some tactical masterclass humiliating a Guradiola or a Mourinho or a SAF side; it was the bare minimum we would expect from a home game. More so after all the money we've been spending. In the context of recent crap performances, this looked good - but don't get used to that mediocrity! We are better than that!

Therefore, my feeling was that the One AW chants were more a vindictive statement of fans who support Wenger, in response to those bunch of retards who hurled abuses after Stoke. This was hardly a performance which merited so much love and adulation.

We even had a customary defensive lapse which spoilt our clean sheet ffs.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:23 am

VendettaRed07 wrote:Newcastle didn't defend or attack

Proud
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:48 am

Enjoy the win myself, wont take anything from it, found it easier this way to expect Arsenal this season. I like our front three, has both pace and height.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Also, two up front ftw - might see that Giround-Walcott combo.

Its also the only way I can see Walcott coming back into the squad with Sanchez being irreplaceable on the right.

Might not be the best way to square up to Madrid but certainly our best option for breaking down scrubs who park the bus.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:21 am

Sanchez is so much more dominant on the left. I can't wait for a front three with both theo and alexis
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:40 am

I hope you mean Theo-Giroud-Alexis and not Theo-Welbeck-Alexis. The latter is pacy, but not balanced.

Also will be interesting to see if Özil goes back to the center. If yes, and if these guys stay injury free for the remaining half the season, we could finish quite strongly and maybe even grab a cup somewhere.

I would very much like to retain the FA Cup, for a start.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:41 am

Ofcourse, there will be questions of what happens to the other mids. Rotation is key and hope AW does that.

Here's to a lot of Ifs and Hopes.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:46 am

"grab a cup somewhere" Laughing well, it's not like we got much choice other than the FA Cup
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:53 am

El Gunner wrote:"grab a cup somewhere" Laughing well, it's not like we got much choice other than the FA Cup

FFS Champions League Razz

Funnier stuff has happened before Laughing

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:46 am

Was at the Emirates for this.

Fantastic performance and fantastic result.

5 wins in the last 6 games and still have many players to return, too.

Need to win a 'big' game now though, and win at Anfield.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down