zigra
sportsczy
Bankz
fatman123
guest_07
28 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

zidane overrated or not? - Page 2 Empty Re: zidane overrated or not?

Post by Lord Awesome Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:38 am

If there are times when Messi or Ronaldo or whichever big player today don't shine (and there's plenty of those) then, of course, there will be times when even the past greats have all stumbled Zidane, Riquelme, Rivaldo, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Pele, Maradona etc, etc, etc. You can't shine all of the time. Everyone's human.

Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:41 am

Lord Awesome wrote:If there are times when Messi or Ronaldo or whichever big player today don't shine (and there's plenty of those) then of course there will be time when the past greats have all stumbled Zidane, Riquelme, Rivaldo, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Pele, Maradona etc, etc, etc. You can't shine all of the time. Everyone's human.

you sure? sometimes i think footballers are robots, the way some fans react to a bad game or 2 and forget the hundreds of good ones
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:49 am

chad4401 wrote:zidane is not overrated calm down hipster

some report mentioned that trezeguet said that zidane was better than pele

maybe that statement is not fall into overrated category, i suppose

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:50 am

Name a player and one could probably name a time when they struggled or did not perform to their regular standards for whatever reason.

Banter is commonplace when this occurs.

This forum is always on edge waiting to deliver that "POS" to such a player.

Managers too.

Last edited by Lord Awesome on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:51 am

there is a myth that said zidane was a consistent player

but the report i read said otherwise

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:01 am

If I had to rate Zidane's consistancy it'd probably be moderate or just hitting above average. Nothing too special. Certainly not his best attribute.

Certainly doesn't blemish Zidane's greatness, tho.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:33 am

Thanks lord awesome
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:39 am

Chad's 'this forum' quote will soon become a GL legend.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:42 am

Nonetheless that is some impressive work guest_07.

Of course you have a lot of time on your hand since you're serving a six times life sentence for the murder of your predecessors.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:47 am

titosantill wrote:wow this "overrated" word again.....its like these days the only questions one sees on past players are "was x overrated"? like every great player was overrated, and those who were good but couldn't quite get the acknowledgement or achievements of those great players become the underrated ones.....people will suggest zidane being overrated and then suggest mendieta, aimar, recoba etc are the underrated ones......zizou was anything but overrated, cut it out....one of the best of his generation

Well you can be one of the best of your generation and overrated at the same time.
Personally I don't really think he's overrated though but then again I don't know how he's rated all over the world either. If general consensus is that Zidane is one of the best players of his generation that's no problem because that's what he is/was.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:52 am

Exactly it's when people take it further and say he's like top 10 ( hell some even take it further Laughing) is when I have a problem.

He clearly was one of the greatest of his generation but below the GOATs.

But anyway I'll leave it there because I promised myself I wouldn't get involved in Zidane debates ever again Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:53 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:Nonetheless that is some impressive work guest_07.

Of course you have a lot of time on your hand since you're serving a six times life sentence for the murder of your predecessors.

actually all of these are not my work, i only brought the thing in order to "open" some others mind

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:30 am

@Pippo
Thumbs up   This is unreal goal too

guest_07 wrote:back to the review segment

Juventus' first major match of the season in Serie A, against Inter Milan. In the match preview, the two French fantasisti -- Zidane, Djorkaeff -- could not be any different. Djorkaeff, Inter's new signing, was in great form. He was very talkative to the press. Zidane, Juve's new signing, was in poor form. Deschamps instructed him to stay away from the press, to "shut up and focus on the game". A quick comparison between Djorkaeff and Zidane:

Character, technique, vision, goal-scoring, endurance, personality are the attributes on hand. Djorkaeff wins, surprisingly. It must be emphasised that this is a big match. There is no love lost between Juventus and Inter. At the time of the match, Inter were undefeated in Serie A.

1996-97 Serie A [Round 6]
20 October, 1996
Juventus 2-0 Inter Milan
Stadio delle Alpi: 28,065 spectators
Referee: Braschi

Juventus win "round one" convincingly. The match was described as a "one-sided encounter", obviously in favour of Juve. A great performance from all Juve players, with [you guessed it...] Zidane being the standout player. Weeks of bad form and media criticism, with people thinking Djorkaeff was better than him -- what does he do? Silences the doubters.

Juve hit the post twice in this match, bringing the total to 11 strikes against woodwork in 6 matches! Truly a mind-boggling statistic. Zidane scored in the match, his first official goal for Juventus. He dedicated the goal to friends and family. Zidane said that this was his best performance yet for Juve, and that it was a beautiful moment. Lippi, again, has nothing but praise for Zidane, as he says "the only thing missing was goal-scoring, to enhance his skill-set. I never had any doubts about his quality".

Inter were awful. Their offside-trap was described as a "comedy of errors". Branca and Zamorano did know "whether if they were at the theatre or playing a football match". Harsh words from a Turin-based paper, it must be said.

Here are some individual highlights from Zidane:

- Great dribbling, creates a good chance for Boksic that was wasted
see min 0.32

- Amazing play to create a clear chance for Boksic that was wasted
see min 4.12

- Superb left-footed goal from outside the box
see min 6.00

In conclusion, a world-class performance from Zidane. In the duel of two French playmakers, Zidane was victorious. You can see where he gets the "big-game player" reputation.

RATINGS

Peruzzi [7]; Torricelli [7] - Ferrara [7] - Montero [7] - Pessotto [7]; Di Livio [7] - Zidane [7.5] - Deschamps [7.5] - Jugovic [7.5]; Boksic [7] - Padovano [7]

Substitutes: Iuliano [n/a], Ametrano [n/a], Vieri [n/a]

Yellow card: Deschamps

the source:
http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/zinedine-zidane-review-1996-2006.2006080/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,30/articleid,0664_01_1996_0287_0038_9002943/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,31/articleid,0664_01_1996_0289_0039_9006591/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,31/articleid,0664_01_1996_0289_0039_9006592/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,28/articleid,0664_01_1996_0290_0030_9008378/anews,true/

Roy Hodgson :facepalm:
What I said , the great Zidane was born after this match

p.s. We got a revenge winning 0-3 in Coppa Italia then , Paul Ince scored :coffee:

guest_07 wrote:zidane overrated or not? - Page 2 38f901648f7ea2e4ac992d59e3e1877b

It's spectacular to watch this old table . Youri I miss you Proud

Last edited by Robespierre on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:34 am

I am surprised the Zidane haters have never reported the old words by Gianni Agnelli (Juve president at that time) about the French
" He is more entertaining than useful "
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:47 am

you never knew with agnelli, he said different things at different times, in different circumstances (like any human being)...the same agnelli when juve signed nedved as zizou's replacement following his departure to madrid described nedved as "more hair, less talent"...(he'd grow to love nedved as time passed, and nedved was a fantastic player in his own right).....not to mention him calling juve icon roberto baggio a drowned rabbit or a wet rabbit or a sinking rabbit (not sure what the translation was) at the USA 94 tournament, before baggio started beasting in the knock out round....one can't always take what agnelli said as law, like all human beings, he was prone to contradictions
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:53 am

titosantill wrote:you never knew with agnelli, he said different things at different times, in different circumstances

Sounds like Gil was Juve's president at the time. hmm Though, his career has certainly gone uphill ever since. From Juve president to GL forum clown. Proud

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:06 am

titosantill wrote:you never knew with agnelli, he said different things at different times, in different circumstances (like any human being)...the same agnelli when juve signed nedved as zizou's replacement following his departure to madrid described nedved as "more hair, less talent"...(he'd grow to love nedved as time passed, and nedved was a fantastic player in his own right).....not to mention him calling juve icon roberto baggio a drowned rabbit or a wet rabbit or a sinking rabbit (not sure what the translation was) at the USA 94 tournament, before baggio started beasting in the knock out round....one can't always take what agnelli said as law, like all human beings, he was prone to contradictions

But infact I don't rate him overrated lol I rate him as one of best player seen by me
Simply it's strange haters didn't underline this Laughing just this. personally I don't have good consideration about the Agnelli so let alone if I rate important what they say ...
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:20 am

Zigra and Great Leader's posts should effectively put this topic to rest by now..zidane, while a great, and one of the very best of his generation (which is highly accurate), is nowhere near the GOATS that people are making him out to be (which is flat-out overating). Top 20 AT BEST, and thats remarkable too, considering the gazillion amount of people that has played the sport..
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:22 am

Great work tho.
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:44 am

The cluelessness in this thread has reached epic proportions... even by GL standards.  Congrats to you

He's considered top 5 by most everyone including the football greats... top 10 by all (and i mean everyone:  media, past greats and present players).  So the fact that GL, who's never seen him play at all probably, means nothing thankfully. To me, it's a question of opinion how you rank the top 10 players... there are some that are definitely top 5 while other are arguably top 5. There is no way in the world though that Zidane is not top 10 by any reasonable standard. He was just that incredible in his prime (which was before Madrid btw; he only joined them at the age of 30).

And you could probably make a montage of 15-20 games where messi was crap this past calendar year alone.  Guess what:  it doesn't make him less great.   That's just football.  You go through ups and downs but the ups far, far outshine the downs.  With the greats, the ups are epic...  you only start the splitting hairs thing when you're ranking the top 10 compared to each other.  And usually, that means comparing the great moments mostly and see who was greatest.

Good job though.  Ignorance is bliss as they say.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:13 am

Yeah well it's nice to have someone around who's certainly not biased in any way. Glad you're here for us bra.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:25 am

I've been going through all of those links you've posted, OP. So according to Italian-based media at the time, Zidane wasn't one of Juve's five best players in the 1996-97 season. And he did not start the first half of the 1997-98 season well. Where does this sound familiar ... oh wait, I know. hmm
Pippo wrote:Zidane was average for a lot of his first season at Juventus. He found it difficult playing many games at the beginning, was awful for the first month of the season and he was called the "weak link" of Juventus' midfield.

He was more prone to have a poor match than a great one. Was poor against the top teams, and was woefully inconsistent - for example going from playing incredibly well against Ajax to looking horrible against Udinese and then Sampdoria.

All his ability was obvious but his performances occasionally matched it. He had the same issues in the first half of his 1997-98 season.

I have no idea how he won the Foreign Footballer of the Year award in 1997. He shouldn't have won the Ballon d'Or in 1998 either. scratch
sportsczy wrote:yeah ok pippo, etc.  Rolling Eyes
Pippo wrote:Glad to see you agree.  Smile

Not surprising to see the usual suspect blinded by his fanboyism. Where were these links 9 months ago when they could have been useful? Rolling Eyes

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:51 am

Didn't Zidane play DM/DLP in his first season at Juve ?
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:12 am

agree with @sportsczy, @valkyrja, true zizou played deeper in midfield in his first year at juve....i for one saw nothing wrong with his juve performance. most critics whilst he was playing were scared of him against their favorite teams, but now he's retired everyone's quick to pull the "overrated" card.....as i said before that word itself is becoming "overrated".....but i guess its a time thing. i expect when cristiano and messi retire, youngsters will call them "overrated" as well, and provide stats on "how they played against crappy defenders and had no competition"......i feel zidane might have even been better tactically at juve than he was at madrid, where a lot of times we seemed to have a free-for-all offense, which often came back to haunt us
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:16 am

Zidane's best season in Madrid was his second. Infact in that year we were the best team by far. Kinda like Barca 10/11. Figo's missed penalty against Juve affects very much the close history of our club.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:28 am

that penalty really bugged me....figo whilst a great player in his own right(and one of my fav players) i never understood why he took our penalties, that little pause he'd make before taking spot kicks always bothered me....zidane missed one pk his whole career (where he slipped and fell in the run up against i think china during a friendly), hell i'd have even preferred hierro, carlos, or ronaldo over mr. 'pause before i shoot' figo taking that pk
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next