zigra
sportsczy
Bankz
fatman123
guest_07
28 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

zidane overrated or not? Empty zidane overrated or not?

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:10 am

lets see the review on zidane at other website per match from 1996-2006:

1996-97 Serie A [Round 1]
8 September, 1996
Reggiana 1-1 Juventus
Mapei Stadium: 17,302 spectators
Referee: Stefano Farina​

Juventus draw the first match of the season against Reggiana. Juventus were very unlucky in this match to not win. Lippi says that Juventus created a sea of chances, whereas Reggiana scored from their only shot attempt. Juventus hit the crossbar two times.​

Boksic missed the best chance to win, and he was seen as a scapegoat -- Lippi was quick to his defence, saying that Vieri and Del Piero missed chances to score as well. Boksic assisted Vieri's goal in the 7th minute -- Zidane began the play, giving the ball to Boksic who centred the ball for Vieri to score without problem. In the 40th minute, Del Piero hit the post from a pass by Zidane.​

It is noted how Zidane is slow, but he knows how to play for the team and recovers many balls, like Paulo Sousa -- a former Juventus player. Lippi has nothing but praise for Zidane, saying how Zidane played a great game. However, he says that Del Piero did good, but must improve.​

Peruzzi was funnily given a "not applicable" rating. Why? He was not guilty for the conceded goal, but did absolutely nothing for the rest of the match, according to the report.

RATINGS​

Peruzzi [n/a]; Torricelli [6] - Ferrara [6] - Montero [6.5] - Pessotto [6.5]; Jugovic [6.5] - Zidane [6.5] - Deschamps [6]; Boksic [6] - Vieri [6] - Del Piero [6.5]​

Substitutes: Tacchinardi [n/a], Di Livio [6], Amoruso [6]​

Yellow cards: Montero​

the source:
http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/zinedine-zidane-review-1996-2006.2006080/#post-30340358

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,29/articleid,0659_01_1996_0248_0029_13741225/anews,true/

Last edited by guest_07 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

zidane overrated or not? Empty Re: zidane overrated or not?

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:15 am

1996-97 Serie A [Round 2]
15 September, 1996
Juventus 2-1 Cagliari
Stadio delle Alpi: 27,832 spectators
Referee: Gennaro Borriello

Juventus win their second match of the season against Cagliari. Juventus hit the crossbar two times like they did against Reggiana. Zidane was awful in this match, tied with Amoruso as the worst player for Juventus.

Amoruso was preferred to Vieri for this encounter, and while Boksic-Del Piero-Amoruso connected well enough, it was expected for Zidane to show imagination and creativity in the final third. He didn't. Zidane was described to have a presence that was "so fluctuating, so anonymous". His individual rating was described as "A bad day. These things happen. He could not get himself into the game, let alone leave his mark on the team." He was removed at 45 minutes for Di Livio.

The referee, Borriello, had a woeful performance. The critical point being a clear penalty denied for Cagliari, which could have made the score 2-2. Another incident was referred to for Juventus, but not as clear as the one for Cagliari.

In another article, Zidane was described as "a portrait of a disapponting man". It was said that Zidane would alternate flashes of class to long pauses in the match where he would wander around, not getting into the heart of the game.

Zidane has no excuses for his performance: "It was not my day, that seems clear. I was tired, my legs were weak, at this time three matches in a week is too much [Zidane played against Manchester United in the EC earlier in the week]. Lippi did the right thing by replacing me. I am the first to realise that I am not helping the team."

RATINGS

Peruzzi [6]; Porrini [6] - Ferrara [6.5] - Montero [6] - Pessotto [6]; Conte [7] - Zidane [5] - Deschamps [6]; Del Piero [7] - Boksic [7] - Amoruso [5]

Substitutes: Di Livio [6.5] - Jugovic [n/a] - Iuliano [n/a]

Yellow cards: Amoruso, Boksic

the source:
http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/zinedine-zidane-review-1996-2006.2006080/#post-30340358

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,27/articleid,0660_01_1996_0255_0027_8910300/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,32/articleid,0660_01_1996_0256_0034_8911386/

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:25 am

1996-97 Serie A [Round 3]
22 September, 1996
Perugia 1-2 Juventus
Stadio Renato Curi: 12,114 spectators
Referee: Cesari

Juventus win their third match of the season against Perugia. Zidane gets sent off for two yellow cards, which ruins an otherwise decent performance. As it states in the report, Zidane did well until he was sent off in the 75th minute.

A funny description about Zidane, where in front of the defenders Ferrara and Montero, Zidane covered the defence "like a veil of vanilla sugar [what?]". In the 2nd minute, Zidane took a free-kick from the left side of the field that hit the post. In the 48th minute, Zidane was presented with a good opportunity in front of goal but took too long to shoot.

Again, there is controversy with the referee. A regular goal by Perugia was disallowed for "offside", and a penalty for Perugia was not given. Matrecano's red card for Perugia was described as "absurd" by his coach.

Zidane says that his second yellow card was unfair. Lippi continues to defend Zidane, saying that Juventus struggled not only due to errors by Zidane, but by errors of the entire team. Zidane also says that compared to Ligue 1, the Serie A is more physical and more rigorous tactically.

Lippi says Zidane will rest against Fiorentina. [He does]

Edit: Zidane does not rest, he is suspended. I interpreted Lippi's comment wrong, forgetting that Zidane got a red card.

RATINGS

Peruzzi [7.5]; Porrini [6] - Ferrara [5.5] - Montero [6.5] - Pessotto [6]; Conte [5.5] - Zidane [5] - Deschamps [6]; Amoruso [5] - Boksic [6] - Del Piero [7]

Substitutes: Torricelli [6.5], Jugovic [6], Padovano [7]

Yellow cards: Ferrara, Montero, Boksic, Zidane x2

Red card: Zidane

the source:

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,27/articleid,0660_01_1996_0262_0029_13533601/anews,true/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,29/articleid,0660_01_1996_0262_0031_13533872/anews,true/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,27/articleid,0661_01_1996_0263_0031_8921076/

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:31 am

1996-97 Serie A [Round 5]
13 October, 1996
Vicenza 2-1 Juventus
Stadio Romeo Menti: 12,353 spectators
Referee: Boggi

Juventus lose for the first time in Serie A. Juventus were missing several players, including Peruzzi, Conte, Del Piero, and Boksic. Juventus play a 4-4-2 for the first time this season, with Zidane's nominal position being "left midfield". Juventus hit the post twice, bringing their total tally this season to nine -- after five games!

Juventus struggled a lot. The 4-4-2 did not work at all. Earlier that week, Zidane made a comment to the press about how he wanted to play more forward to replace Del Piero, as Del Piero was out. But Lippi changed the formation instead of accommodating the wishes of Zidane.

The report states that Zidane teetered on the left and centre of midfield, "turning on and off" -- I assume that refers to him zoning out of the match like he was criticised of in previous matches. In the 46', Zidane took a corner which was deflected by Padovano onto Ferrara, who scored. It is stated that Zidane's touches of the ball were fantastic, but he was lacking elsewhere.

More referee controversy, oddly. As per the report, two penalties for Vicenza were not given, whereas Juventus were not given one penalty. The referee was awarded a mark of 5; that was how poor he was.

In another article, Zidane's form at the beginning of the season was described as "floating like a cork at the mercy of the waves".

RATINGS

Rampulla [6]; Porrini [5] - Ferrara [6.5] - Montero [5] - Pessotto [6]; Di Livio [6.5] - Deschamps [5.5] - Jugovic [7] - Zidane [5.5]; Padovano [6] - Amoruso [5]

Substitutes: Torricelli [6], Tacchinardi [4], Vieri [5]

Yellow cards: Jugovic, Zidane, Padovano

Red card: Tacchinardi

the source:

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,29/articleid,0663_01_1996_0283_0031_8997486/anews,true/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,30/articleid,0662_01_1996_0272_0034_15479013/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,30/articleid,0662_01_1996_0272_0034_15479013/

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:16 am

Without doubt, the answer is maybe
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:49 am

Zizou was a fancy-inconsistent player who happened to be devastatingly clutch in the most important moments.
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:03 pm

And i know nobody here saw him play, let alone play in his prime years... so i'm sure you're all experts Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:04 pm

Depends. I'm not sure how he's really rated by the majority of the fans and experts. There seems to be a big group that rates him as a top5 player of all time though and that's overrating him for sure.

sportsczy wrote:And i know nobody here saw him play, let alone play in his prime years... so i'm sure you're all experts Laughing

Yes because Zidane played in a whole different era when none of us were born yet....... :coffee:
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:18 pm

sportsczy wrote:And i know nobody here saw him play, let alone play in his prime years... so i'm sure you're all experts Laughing

how can you be so sure there is nobody that ever saw him played in live

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:20 pm

@sports how do you know nobody saw him play? How old is he? Or did he play in the 70's generation? Pls, only say what u know instead of embarassing yourself.
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:30 pm

lol
I wrote it alreay in another thread , maybe the thread Zidane Rivaldo
simply Zidane had a scrub impact in Serie A , so at beginning most pundits thought Djorkaeff ( :bow: ) was the best French among two ( both signed in 96 97 , Djorkaeff was our star and he had his best season in career , scored a legendary goal against Roma , the most beautiful in Inter story) .
Then in November Zidane scored an amazing goal against Inter (Juve won 2-0 ) and his history changed.
Changed. I am Italian and so I know it.
Serie a is a hard league , even great players can struggling to adapt
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:09 pm

Robespierre wrote:scored a legendary goal against Roma , the most beautiful in Inter story) .
I like this one better. :coffee:

On topic, that review is exceptional. Well-researched and extremely comprehensive. I feel like it echoes many of the things I said about Zidane a few months ago. Obviously that timeline will not fit the false narrative and it will hurt some of his most ardent fanboys.

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Meh, I know my truth. The great man was an exceptional legendary footballer who I enjoyed seeing play every chance I got. You guys could argue technicalities to your heart's content.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:43 pm

back to the review segment

Juventus' first major match of the season in Serie A, against Inter Milan. In the match preview, the two French fantasisti -- Zidane, Djorkaeff -- could not be any different. Djorkaeff, Inter's new signing, was in great form. He was very talkative to the press. Zidane, Juve's new signing, was in poor form. Deschamps instructed him to stay away from the press, to "shut up and focus on the game". A quick comparison between Djorkaeff and Zidane:

zidane overrated or not? 38f901648f7ea2e4ac992d59e3e1877b

Character, technique, vision, goal-scoring, endurance, personality are the attributes on hand. Djorkaeff wins, surprisingly. It must be emphasised that this is a big match. There is no love lost between Juventus and Inter. At the time of the match, Inter were undefeated in Serie A.

1996-97 Serie A [Round 6]
20 October, 1996
Juventus 2-0 Inter Milan
Stadio delle Alpi: 28,065 spectators
Referee: Braschi

Juventus win "round one" convincingly. The match was described as a "one-sided encounter", obviously in favour of Juve. A great performance from all Juve players, with [you guessed it...] Zidane being the standout player. Weeks of bad form and media criticism, with people thinking Djorkaeff was better than him -- what does he do? Silences the doubters.

Juve hit the post twice in this match, bringing the total to 11 strikes against woodwork in 6 matches! Truly a mind-boggling statistic. Zidane scored in the match, his first official goal for Juventus. He dedicated the goal to friends and family. Zidane said that this was his best performance yet for Juve, and that it was a beautiful moment. Lippi, again, has nothing but praise for Zidane, as he says "the only thing missing was goal-scoring, to enhance his skill-set. I never had any doubts about his quality".

Inter were awful. Their offside-trap was described as a "comedy of errors". Branca and Zamorano did know "whether if they were at the theatre or playing a football match". Harsh words from a Turin-based paper, it must be said.

Here are some individual highlights from Zidane:

- Great dribbling, creates a good chance for Boksic that was wasted
see min 0.32

- Amazing play to create a clear chance for Boksic that was wasted
see min 4.12

- Superb left-footed goal from outside the box
see min 6.00

In conclusion, a world-class performance from Zidane. In the duel of two French playmakers, Zidane was victorious. You can see where he gets the "big-game player" reputation.

RATINGS

Peruzzi [7]; Torricelli [7] - Ferrara [7] - Montero [7] - Pessotto [7]; Di Livio [7] - Zidane [7.5] - Deschamps [7.5] - Jugovic [7.5]; Boksic [7] - Padovano [7]

Substitutes: Iuliano [n/a], Ametrano [n/a], Vieri [n/a]

Yellow card: Deschamps

the source:
http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/zinedine-zidane-review-1996-2006.2006080/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,30/articleid,0664_01_1996_0287_0038_9002943/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,31/articleid,0664_01_1996_0289_0039_9006591/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,31/articleid,0664_01_1996_0289_0039_9006592/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,28/articleid,0664_01_1996_0290_0030_9008378/anews,true/

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:50 pm

1996-97 Serie A [Round 7]
27 October, 1996
Roma 1-1 Juventus
Stadio Olimpico: 38,816 spectators
Referee: Bazzoli

Juventus were on pace for a win until a 93' Delvecchio goal spoiled the day. It continued the trend of Juve not winning at the Olimpico for 6 years. It was a relatively average day for almost every Juve player except Peruzzi and Zidane.

Juve dominated the match -- Delvecchio's late equaliser was described as "the joke that could cost first place in the standings". Boksic assisted Padovano's goal in the 59' to make the score 1-0. Zidane was outstanding in this match: the report states that the form of Zidane has improved since the change to a 4-4-2, with Zidane on the left side of midfield. Zidane is free to create and is not restricted by a central position on the pitch when played as a left midfielder in a 4-4-2.

Zidane's individual rating describes him as growing "leaps and bounds", and that he was the man of the match, just like against Inter. Del Piero was a late substitute in this match -- I assume that as he is the "talisman" of Juve, once he returns to the starting eleven, they will return to 4-3-3. This is only an educated guess.

Edit: Another article after the match talks about Zidane in Del Piero's absence. In Del Piero's absence, Zidane finally rose from anonymity to become an "irreplaceable player" for Juve. Lippi already announced that with Del Piero's return, a return to the 4-3-3 will indeed happen [my educated guess was correct]. Interestingly enough, the article states a "random fact": Zidane is better without Del Piero. No one will admit to it, but it is not a coincidence that Zidane has played much better without Del Piero.

RATINGS

Peruzzi [7.5]; Torricelli [6.5] - Ferrara [5.5] - Montero [6.5] - Pessotto [6]; Di Livio [7] - Zidane [7.5] - Deschamps [5.5] - Jugovic [6.5]; Boksic [6] - Padovano [6.5]

Substitutes: Iuliano [n/a], Del Piero [n/a]

Yellow card: Ferrara

the source:

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,29/articleid,0665_01_1996_0296_0035_9021165/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,29/articleid,0665_01_1996_0296_0035_9021165/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,28/articleid,0665_01_1996_0298_0030_9023528/

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm

1996-97 Serie A [Round 8]
3 November, 1996
Juventus 1-1 Napoli
Stadio delle Alpi: 28,178 spectators
Referee: Pellegrino

Very underwhelming performance from Juve on this day. Napoli played strong defensively, the report stated Juve were "squashed like an unrecogniseable jelly against the intelligent wall prepared by Simoni [Napoli coach]". Napoli played a strict marking system: Colonna marking Padovano, Baldini marking Boksic, Crasson on Del Piero, and Ayala as the spare man.

It was a poor performance overall from every Juve player, including Zidane. His goal does not excuse an otherwise average performance, as per the report. His goal was an opportunistic one, due to a goalkeeper error from a set piece; but it was a brilliantly taken volley.

see min 1.24

After the goal, the crowd at the delle Alpi serenaded Zidane with a chant they used for Platini.

RATINGS

Peruzzi [6.5]; Torricelli [5] - Ferrara [6] - Montero [5] - Di Livio [6]; Jugovic [5] - Deschamps [6] - Zidane [6]; Del Piero [5.5] - Boksic [5] - Padovano [5.5]

Substitutes: Lombardo [5.5], Porrini [6], Amoruso [5.5]

Yellow cards: Ferrara, Del Piero, Deschamps, Montero

the source:

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,27/articleid,0666_01_1996_0304_0027_9037253/

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:01 pm

1996-97 Serie A [Round 9]
17 November, 1996
Juventus 0-0 Milan
Stadio delle Alpi: 28,718 spectators
Referee: Collina

Quite simply, a goalkeeping masterclass. I refer to the subheadline, which states "[A] show from Peruzzi and Rossi". Juve hit the post in this match; that was the closest any team got to a goal.

Zidane never got into the full flow of the match. He was initially promising, but it faded out throughout the match and he was guilty of idling on the ball too much. According to the report, his over-use of the ball "shook Lippi". Zidane kept slowing the play down, trying to bring the match to his own speed but he did not excel at this.

Lippi was criticised for leaving Del Piero on the bench, substituting him on for Zidane in the 85th minute. Lippi said that Juventus will not play with three strikers and Zidane anymore. Instead, it will be two strikers and Zidane, for balance. Lippi says that Juve cannot afford to play three strikers, Zidane, and Di Livio.

I believe this is the beginning of Zidane playing as a trequartista in the 4-3-1-2. I could be wrong -- again, this is just an educated guess.

RATINGS

Peruzzi [7.5]; Torricelli [6.5] - Tacchinardi [6.5] - Porrini [6] - Iuliano [5.5]; Di Livio [7] - Zidane [6] - Deschamps [6.5] - Jugovic [6]; Boksic [6.5] - Vieri [5]

Substitutes: Del Piero [n/a], Padovano [5.5]

Yellow cards: Iuliano, Zidane, Jugovic

the source:

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,28/articleid,0668_01_1996_0318_0030_14206766/anews,true/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,28/articleid,0668_01_1996_0318_0030_9063111/

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,27/articleid,0668_01_1996_0319_0031_9063781/

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:45 pm

wow this "overrated" word again.....its like these days the only questions one sees on past players are "was x overrated"? like every great player was overrated, and those who were good but couldn't quite get the acknowledgement or achievements of those great players become the underrated ones.....people will suggest zidane being overrated and then suggest mendieta, aimar, recoba etc are the underrated ones......zizou was anything but overrated, cut it out....one of the best of his generation
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:03 pm

lmao this forum with the usual hipster logic, i doubt a lot of you actually watched zidane(me included), when half you jokers don't even watch current players and still form an opinion on them as fact rofl
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:12 pm

1996-97 Serie A [Round 10]
1 December, 1996
Juventus 1-0 Bologna
Stadio delle Alpi: 28,178 spectators
Referee: Ceccarini

A good win for Juventus. Bologna did not test the Juventus team at all, but Juve required some magic to pull out the win. Who other than Zidane?

In the report, it states that Zidane was "playing under the moon" for a period of time. However, at the 51', Del Piero was fouled on the edge of the box. After a dummy from Del Piero, Zidane scored a free-kick in a way that was compared to Michel Platini. Shortly afterwards, a Bologna player received a red card and Juve dominated the rest of the match.

In the 87', Zidane crossed it to Boksic, who headed the ball and the Bologna goalkeeper made a save that received thunderous applause. Zidane was heavily praised in his individual rating, with one comment stating that "Lippi has transformed him into a complete player".

Zidane's goal:

RATINGS

Peruzzi [n/a]; Porrini [6] - Ferrara [6.5] - Montero [7.5] - Dimas [7]; Di Livio [7] - Tacchinardi [6] - Zidane [7] - Jugovic [6]; Boksic [7] - Del Piero [6]

Substitutes: Iuliano [n/a], Lombardo [6]

Yellow cards: Tacchinardi, Iuliano

the source:
http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/zinedine-zidane-review-1996-2006.2006080/page-2

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,29/articleid,0670_01_1996_0331_0033_14046232/anews,true/

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:18 pm

1996-97 Serie A [Round 11]
8 December, 1996
Sampdoria 0-1 Juventus
Stadio Luigi Ferraris: 19,050 spectators
Referee: Braschi

A lone Ciro Ferrara goal sealed the victory for Juventus. It was a well-taken strike from a poorly taken corner by Zidane. It was an outstanding display from Zidane, creating two good chances [apart from the assist] for Del Piero and Padovano.

Zidane's dribbling was described as "pure magic", although it was mentioned that he should not "fall in love" with the ball. Zidane was involved in all the key attacking moments for Juve: in the 35', a beautiful counter-attack of Zidane-Del Piero-Dimas led to a cross from Dimas to Zidane, who was stopped by Pesaresi, the Samp defender. In the 60', Zidane played a ball through to Del Piero, who might have been fouled by either Mihajlovic or Pesaresi [the referee received a 7 rating, so I assume he made the right decision to not award a penalty]. In the 65', Juve had another counter-attack but Zidane overplayed it. In the 88', Zidane played Padovano through on goal but he missed the chance.

All in all, a great performance from Zidane. Here is the video of Ferrara's goal assist by a poor look like corner kick by Zidane:

RATINGS

Peruzzi [6.5]; Torricelli [6.5] - Ferrara [7.5] - Montero [7.5] - Dimas [6]; Di Livio [6.5] - Deschamps [7.5] - Zidane [7] - Jugovic [6]; Boksic [5] - Del Piero [6]

Substitutes: Lombardo [n/a], Tacchinardi [n/a], Padovano [5]

Yellow cards: Ferrara, Zidane, Deschamps

the source:
http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/zinedine-zidane-review-1996-2006.2006080/page-2

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,29/articleid,0671_01_1996_0338_0033_9131285/

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:31 pm

1996-97 Serie A [Round 12]
11 December, 1996
Udinese 1-4 Juventus
Stadio Friuli: 8,352 spectators
Referee: Treossi

If someone were to look at the score, they would assume that this was a rout in favour of Juve. It was nothing like that. Just as a glimpse to see how deceiving the scoreline was, Angelo Peruzzi, Juve's goalkeeper, was described as "superman" for his efforts in goal before he injured himself.

It is stated in the report that Juve have hit the post 17 times in total this season, after 12 matches. Boksic scored an offside goal to make it 1:0, and Del Piero's goal for 3:0 was a dubious penalty.

Zidane played well, but he did not stand out in this match. He was described as being "the heart of the attack" in his individual rating -- looking at his surrounding midfielders, it does look like he was given a great creative burden. If he made any assists they were not noted in the report. I could not find a clip on Youtube of the match, either.

RATINGS

Peruzzi [8]; Torricelli [6.5] - Ferrara [6.5] - Porrini [6.5] - Iuliano [6]; Di Livio [7] - Deschamps [7] - Zidane [6.5] - Tacchinardi [6]; Boksic [7] - Del Piero [6.5]

Substitutes: Rampulla [6.5], Lombardo [n/a]

Yellow cards: Porrini, Torricelli, Iuliano, Rampulla

the source:

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/component/option,com_lastampa/task,search/mod,libera/action,viewer/Itemid,3/page,33/articleid,0671_01_1996_0341_0037_9135378/

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:35 pm

zidane is not overrated calm down hipster
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Now I'm starting to think this is spamming. hmm

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:38 pm

If there are times when Messi or Ronaldo or whichever big player today don't shine (and there's plenty of those) then, of course, there will be times when even the past greats have all stumbled Zidane, Riquelme, Rivaldo, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Pele, Maradona etc, etc, etc. You can't shine all of the time. Everyone's human.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next