Kick
Art Morte
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ebola outbreak Empty Ebola outbreak

Post by Art Morte Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:39 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29516882

BBC wrote:Investigations are under way at a hospital in Madrid after a Spanish nurse became the first person known to have contracted the deadly Ebola virus outside west Africa.

The nurse had treated two Spanish missionaries who died of the disease after being flown home from the region.

Meanwhile, US President Barack Obama has announced plans to screen passengers flying to the United States.

Some 3,400 people have died in the outbreak - mostly in West Africa.

The 40-year-old nurse was part of the Madrid team that treated Spanish priests Manuel Garcia Viejo and Miguel Pajares, who both died of the virus, Spanish officials say.

The nurse began to feel unwell on 30 September, but only sought medical advice on Sunday.

Thomas Duncan, the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the US, is being treated at a Dallas hospital in isolation. He caught the virus in his native Liberia.

Mr Duncan's condition is critical but stable, doctors said on Monday.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/06/nurse-spain-tests-positive-ebola

Guardian wrote:Health authorities said on Monday night that the nurse was in stable condition. She had alerted them to a slight fever on 30 September, said Antonio Alemany from the regional government of Madrid, and checked into a hospital in Alcorcón with a high fever on Sunday. Ebola protocol was immediately activated at the hospital and initial and secondary tests were both positive for the virus.

The patient, who is married with no children, was on holiday when she began showing symptoms, said Alemany.

So, this virus has killed a few thousand in Africa, where countries are struggling to deal with it and new cases emerge daily.

Now that Spanish nurse has become the first person in Europe to catch the virus outside of Africa. She was treating that Spanish priest two weeks ago, then went on holiday, started having symptoms on 30 September , went to hospital (only) on 5 October. What are the chances no one else has contracted the virus from her in that time?

It spreads via bodily fluids.

So, when should we start panicking?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Ebola outbreak Empty Re: Ebola outbreak

Post by Kick Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:52 am

I wouldn't be worried, unless you plan of kissing people with it.

Most Western countries have the correct medical systems to deal with it which will stop any western outbreak.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:07 am

personally i thought there was a lot of negligence from the Immigration and Border security division from U.S. even though people who are not infected with Ebola, they need a proper medical check before they travel. I heard that no signs of Ebola could be found in people unless symptoms appear but still, this should be carefully analyzed by medical experts and bio-hazard, virus microbiologists on what steps to take in order to stop the spreading.

personally i think the people from countries most infected with Ebola shouldn't be allowed to travel.

and we don't even have a medical vaccine for ebola yet right?? its still in test phase.

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:10 am

Kick wrote:I wouldn't be worried, unless you plan of kissing people with it.

Most Western countries have the correct medical systems to deal with it which will stop any western outbreak.

I'm pretty sure the nurse wasn't kissing the patient she was treating hmm

More like wearing overalls, gloves, masks, the whole thing.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:11 am

the worst thing that could happen is the epidemic of Ebola in which in Texas its already happening.

and we don't have a vaccine yet, its still in test phase. Should an infected Texan with no symptoms travel anywhere, this could be really a disaster, it could potentially affect population or areas which is safe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:13 am

Art Morte wrote:

I'm pretty sure the nurse wasn't kissing the patient she was treating hmm

More like wearing overalls, gloves, masks, the whole thing.

ok the reporters from US who were in Ebola infected areas with proper biohazard suit, seemingly protected comes back to US carrying Ebola!!!

a full biohazard protective suit couldn't protect them!!!

so that's why i am worried... this nature and this evolution of the disease.... its just too scary... i thought this is worse than swine flu, SARS..

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:10 am

Swine flu is overrated.

How does Ebola spread?
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:23 pm

So far Ebola only spreads via body fluids. That is, don't get coughed in the face, don get pricked by a needle used to inject an Ebola patients etc. Problem is that Ebola patients bleed and sweat profusely, and if you get any of the stuff into the eye, mouth, some tiny open wound, you have a problem.

A bigger problem would be if there would be some DNA exchange between Ebola and an air-transmittable virus (i.e. influenza) that creates an air-transmittable Ebola virus. So far this hasn't happened yet, though.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Was planning to hibernate anyways

Anyone seen those 'articles' about Ebola patients coming back from the dead? I can't believe people are falling for it.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:55 pm

^^lol

Anyway, Ebola pls stay in West Africa.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Yeah good news is it does not spread through air. Bad news is it has a 70% kill rate and no vaccine yet.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:13 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2783332/Husband-Spanish-nurse-contracted-Ebola-quarantine-health-authorities-admit-DON-T-KNOW-contracted-virus.html

there it is... just when i said it... now another victim infected with Ebola despite protective gear.

WHO should make take situation as the highest level alert.
this could be a serious situation. Already affected victims in US, Europe, also in Asia!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:15 pm

rwo power wrote:So far Ebola only spreads via body fluids. That is, don't get coughed in the face, don get pricked by a needle used to inject an Ebola patients etc. Problem is that Ebola patients bleed and sweat profusely, and if you get any of the stuff into the eye, mouth, some tiny open wound, you have a problem.

A bigger problem would be if there would be some DNA exchange between Ebola and an air-transmittable virus (i.e. influenza) that creates an air-transmittable Ebola virus. So far this hasn't happened yet, though.

well they have been saying that but if even the full protective gear cant protect people then i say this is as serious as it can get.

WHO should be already sounding alarm bell!!!! what baffles me is that WHO has yet to make serious announcement regarding this, than they did with Swine flu

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:51 pm

70% mortality rate basically means you have no chance.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:55 pm

JespSwe wrote:
WHO should be already sounding alarm bell!!!! what baffles me is that WHO has yet to make serious announcement regarding this, than they did with Swine flu

Thats because Swine flu hit parts that matter like Europe and USA. Rolling Eyes

Basically because its contained in a very specific part of the world right now. Its yet to affect 5 countries, Swine flu affected 6/7 continents of the world.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Nishy wrote:
JespSwe wrote:

Thats because Swine flu hit parts that matter like Europe and USA. Rolling Eyes

Basically because its contained in a very specific part of the world right now. Its yet to affect 5 countries, Swine flu affected 6/7 continents of the world.

yea but things like this shouldn't be underestimated. already few microbiologists are calling for CDC to make appropriate actions and banning people from Ebola infected countries to travel to US.

personally i think so far WHO CDC has neglected really badly.

Last edited by JespSwe on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:16 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2783829/Epidemiologist-says-US-stop-flights-Ebola-stricken-West-Africa-prevent-future-outbreaks-America.html

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:16 pm

JespSwe wrote:well they have been saying that but if even the full protective gear cant protect people then i say this is as serious as it can get.
So far it is not known whether the protective gear wasn't compromised. It is pretty easy for a needle to go through the gloves, for example. Moreover, so far they are only using class 2 protective gear and not the heavy duty class 4 protective gear.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:19 pm

rwo power wrote:
JespSwe wrote:well they have been saying that but if even the full protective gear cant protect people then i say this is as serious as it can get.
So far it is not known whether the protective gear wasn't compromised. It is pretty easy for a needle to go through the gloves, for example. Moreover, so far they are only using class 2 protective gear and not the heavy duty class 4 protective gear.

well it is said they wore gears which were not approved by WHO. but still , i thought it was serious enough.

I dont know guys maybe I am japanese, we are really paranoid when it comes to health and disease... lol Very Happy

even with fever we go to hospital... Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:21 pm

I dont see how its going to be contained considering how poor African nations are, Also they are unequipped to handle such high levels of health hazards, Also most people dont give a shit because there country hasn't been affected yet.

Once more countries in Africa start getting it, I feel itll be a global pandemic within 5 years.

Last edited by Nishy on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Nishy wrote:Basically because its contained in a very specific part of the world right now. Its yet to affect 5 countries, Swine flu affected 6/7 continents of the world.
Actually the difference is that swine flu is transmitted via air, which makes it *really* serious, while Ebola is only transmitted via body fluids.

Plus, to put things a bit in perspective - the normal flu (!) kills 15 000 (fifteen thousand!!) people per year in Germany alone. So you should consider the (real) flu (not common cold, btw) a bit more problematic than an infection that is pretty difficult to transmit in comparison.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Swine flu still kills 100 people in India yearly. Though its mostly the elderly and the lower immunity guys ( Diabetes, AIDS etc) that suffer the most.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:30 pm

The main problem with bird flu / swine flu actually isn't that it currently kills a handful of people - the problem is that there is a possibility that there could be a recombination of different influenza viruses within the body of a swine that then could turn out to become a lethal *and* easily transmittable killer (read: Spanish flu revival).
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:38 pm

rwo power wrote:

But that's only because the better gear wasn't available at the Spanish hospital. They had to go with what they had.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:35 pm

rwo power wrote:
Nishy wrote:Basically because its contained in a very specific part of the world right now. Its yet to affect 5 countries, Swine flu affected 6/7 continents of the world.
Actually the difference is that swine flu is transmitted via air, which makes it *really* serious, while Ebola is only transmitted via body fluids.

Plus, to put things a bit in perspective - the normal flu (!) kills 15 000 (fifteen thousand!!) people per year in Germany alone. So you should consider the (real) flu (not common cold, btw) a bit more problematic than an infection that is pretty difficult to transmit in comparison.

Out of how many infected, though? The flu's mortality rate certainly isn't 50% and we have a vaccine available for it, unlike ebola.

The major issue with containing ebola isn't necessarily how it's transmitted, but how long it can be transmitted. The incubation period for the disease can be quite long (up to 21 days) which means it can be hard to detect prior to people traveling to another location AND it remains in the body and communicable for up to 7 weeks after the patient has recovered from it initially... meaning that even nearly 2 months after recovering a person may still be able to pass ebola on to another person via sex or other contact where bodily fluids may be shared.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum: