Dante
Bellabong
Arquitecto
7 posters

Go down

Silent Hills Empty Silent Hills

Post by Arquitecto Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:39 am

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hills

I'm a huge fan of anything that involves horror. At night before I sleep I write snippets of short horror in my phone notes and study the concepts of horror occasionally in my spare time. Horror of today is a disgrace to what can be produced and comparatively to the golden years of horror. What has happened? Writers and directors have not run out of ideas yet have not used the concept of horror correctly as you see insanely overrated horror pioneers such as Wes Craven, John Carpenter etc as they and others have abused the 'old school' concept of horror and continually inspired films of cheap scares that evolves into overexposure of the horror element, rather than subtle cues and deep fears of the human mind.

Silent Hill within my teen years was one of my favourite games for the reason being it explored a concept of horror to which had me dread starting up the Playstation 2 and continuing forth in its spectral world that triggered fear within you that no video game let alone movie has. The best of them Silent Hill 3, (or two depending on your opinion) did not even need a scary environment to immerse yourself within its macabre, as such were the unfathomable designs and morbid concepts could not match. Dead Space quite simply when properly played was a terrifying game, if properly played yet a graphically outdated Silent Hill even surpassed a technologically impressive Dead Space (with its use of sound, graphic, physics, design).

Somewhere after Silent Hill 4 the creators changed, directors were swapped, Americans came in place of the original Japanese production team and abused the series into a shallow husk of what it was, hence why the series has evolved more into action than its original horrific feats; as this being one of the very few series that I have been involved with, it was quite painful.

Now out of the blue, you have Spanish horror director Guillermo del Toro (who I am a big fan of) and video games' finest creator in Hideo *bleep* Kojima combining to reboot Silent Hill into Silent Hills while throwing a substantial amount of money to provide backbone to the reboot, with a motion captured hollywood actor in the form of Walking Dead's Norman Reedus and using the highly anticipated Fox Engine of Kojima Productions which is bound to have the game a graphical powerhouse.

Kojima wrote:Kojima said, through a translator, that he originally wanted to design the new Silent Hill game--which he is calling Silent Hills--so that it would make you "pee your pants." But after speaking more with del Toro, the pair decided to ramp up the scare-intensity. Now, the studio says you should have an extra pair of pants at the ready when you play the game because, "We are aiming for a game that will make you sh*t your pants."

He went on to explain that there is a danger with making a game that is too scary. For a scary movie or a frightening amusement park ride, people can just close their eyes and wait until it ends. But in the context of games, people will stop playing if they are too scared; but Kojima isn't concerned about this.

"If you don't want to continue playing through the game, so be it. We don't care," he said. "We are aiming for a game that will make you s**t your pants. So please make sure you have a [change of clothes]." Kojima also joked that the limited edition for Silent Hills will come with a pair of pants.

Kojima also speaks about how horror game creators the deepest of horror concepts since most gamers in fact via survey do not enjoy games that are too scary, for obvious reasons as this joint-decision by del Toro and Kojima to ignore that preference is what gives me such faith in this project, aside from the obvious talent working behind it.

Not since Metal Gear Solid 5 I am anticipating a release so much as I genuinely hope this duo can revive a series to which no horror media could replicate.

Here is some more information along with a video of the playable teaser (which gives clue that this will actually be in 1st person rather than third).

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/08/25/what-hideo-kojima-could-bring-to-a-silent-hill-game Thoughts?
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Silent Hills Empty Re: Silent Hills

Post by Bellabong Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:41 am

Throwing big names and big money at something wont make it "good".

So far the only horror game that has made me stop and take a break was Amnesia.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 am

Phritz wrote:Throwing big names and big money at something wont make it "good".

So far the only horror game that has made me stop and take a break was Amnesia.

Amnesia was indeed a good game, but at times felt too much like a video game in design to truly immerse you. Though its concepts of horror were very well nailed and at times was quite scary.

As for your point, it DOES make a difference is the production value is handled by the likes of del Toro and Kojima, who are known to demand such sums to accomplish their vision to which has never failed to succeed. In that respect, it does make a difference.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:44 pm

I am excited too for the Silent Hills , even though i was never a great fan of the franchise. I had played the games back then , although i don't really remember anything anymore . lol

Amnesia is a true horror game from what i remember , though i never finished it. My pc died when i was playing it , lost everything and never got back to it. I certainly will at some point. Yeah i will , sure Laughing

My suggestion for a horror game would be Outlast . Still haven't played the new one , i need to raise my bravery level to play that shit . Laughing

I don't know how popular Outlast is even though it did get a sequel , but with all honesty , it is a very good horror game . Arq i don't know if you have played it but , if you haven't , seriously do . At times you don't even want to play it anymore. I finished the game , although after i had been through 50% and my friends saw how awesome it is , i never got to play it alone again until the end. I don't know how long it would take me to finish it alone lol

What fascinated me in that game was the fact you can't get offensive ; you have no weapons , no magic , no holy light , no anything to protect yourself. You can only run and hide Proud . I also really loved Outlast's first person view and how realistic it seemed when you moved . The background is a bit cliche , but soon enough into the game you won't be thinking about that at all. You only have a camera to record stuff and switch on night-mode and that's it. And the camera needs batteries to work , if you spend it all you're left without eyes in the dark . Good thing is there are enough batteries out there to find , if you are curious enough to explore .. bad thing is , they tend to burn quickly the more you use the cam.

Anyone who likes horror games ought it to himself to play Outlast . I liked it so much that it rekindled my lost affection for horror games , but i couldn't bring myself to play anything with weapons again . I will be playing the sequel soon and of course Silent Hills when it comes out . I suppose i will finish Outlast 2 before SH comes out , so i may have to play Amnesia again .. nice
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:10 am

Dante wrote:I am excited too for the Silent Hills , even though i was never a great fan of the franchise. I had played the games back then , although i don't really remember anything anymore . lol

Amnesia is a true horror game from what i remember , though i never finished it. My pc died when i was playing it , lost everything and never got back to it. I certainly will at some point. Yeah i will , sure Laughing

My suggestion for a horror game would be Outlast . Still haven't played the new one , i need to raise my bravery level to play that shit . Laughing

I don't know how popular Outlast is even though it did get a sequel , but with all honesty , it is a very good horror game . Arq i don't know if you have played it but , if you haven't , seriously do . At times you don't even want to play it anymore. I finished the game , although after i had been through 50% and my friends saw how awesome it is , i never got to play it alone again until the end. I don't know how long it would take me to finish it alone lol

What fascinated me in that game was the fact you can't get offensive ; you have no weapons , no magic , no holy light , no anything to protect yourself. You can only run and hide Proud . I also really loved Outlast's first person view and how realistic it seemed when you moved . The background is a bit cliche , but soon enough into the game you won't be thinking about that at all. You only have a camera to record stuff and switch on night-mode and that's it. And the camera needs batteries to work , if you spend it all you're left without eyes in the dark . Good thing is there are enough batteries out there to find , if you are curious enough to explore .. bad thing is , they tend to burn quickly the more you use the cam.

Anyone who likes horror games ought it to himself to play Outlast . I liked it so much that it rekindled my lost affection for horror games , but i couldn't bring myself to play anything with weapons again . I will be playing the sequel soon and of course Silent Hills when it comes out . I suppose i will finish Outlast 2 before SH comes out , so i may have to play Amnesia again .. nice

Outlast is a great shout, Dante. Have not played it yet I remember seeing that fantastic gameplay trailer from E3 which shows a certain hospital. Thing is, I've chosen not yet to buy a next-gen console for the reason being the distractions it will provide me with given how much there is to play, as even to this day, I enjoy (very good) video games in moderation.

The 'combat' concept of Outlast is similar to what Kojima/del Toro are approaching for Silent Hill as Kojima ponders whether there will be any action at all. I believe in a very minor form of combat to thwart a certain enemy/entity in horror yet the feeling of helplessness and desolation from what approaches you will be increasingly put within next-gen I predict.

Before Silents Hills (a project that will take time) I will definitely play Outlast.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Love me a good horror

Haven't played a Silent Hill game in a very, very long time though.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Will try the demo for it when I get home from work or tomorrow after school.

Not a big fan of horror Laughing
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't think Outlast is next gen , i am sure it isn't ... Outlast 2 probably is , even though i haven't seen the trailer yet because i don't want to get spoiled one frame of it. The first one , was that good.

Trust me , it is unlike anything you have experienced in a horror game so far. The feeling you have when you see them and you understand you cannot protect yourself , you cannot do shit.. you have to play it to understand. The sounds , the places , the threats , the unexpected..

it will scare you , constantly , i promise you this . You know it is just a game , but it will scare you , 100% . I tried to play Resident Evil 6 after that and it wasn't a bad game at all , but the moment i saw the guns and all.. i quickly got bored and ditched it Laughing

As for SH , seriously can't wait for that too. I think it could become an instant classic if they give it the familiar helpless look the first games had . I want to be almost powerless when i play these games , don't want to be a SEAL in a metaphysical world ; where's the scare in that ?

I want to see the stuff and run the fk away without even looking back lol
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:55 pm

I was unsure about Kojima involment at 1st since he's not known for subtle writing but after finish P.T if the game is anything close to that, I'm in. The game also use Fox engine so graphic will be top notch.

As for horror games, it's great they coming back to survival instead of action. The Evil within and Alien Isolation look really promising too.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:26 pm

M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:23 pm

Ooooft I can fap to that
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:51 pm

ffs might get this game Laughing
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:22 pm

M99 wrote:

Dante wrote:I want to see the stuff and run the fk away without even looking back lol

Oh yes . My body is not ready , it will never be.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49 pm

LeVersacci wrote:ffs might get this game Laughing

Download the demo on PS4 and play it after midnight with the lights off. I double dare you.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Dante wrote:I don't think Outlast is next gen , i am sure it isn't ... Outlast 2 probably is , even though i haven't seen the trailer yet because i don't want to get spoiled one frame of it. The first one , was that good.

Trust me , it is unlike anything you have experienced in a horror game so far. The feeling you have when you see them and you understand you cannot protect yourself , you cannot do shit.. you have to play it to understand. The sounds , the places , the threats , the unexpected..

it will scare you , constantly , i promise you this . You know it is just a game , but it will scare you , 100% . I tried to play Resident Evil 6 after that and it wasn't a bad game at all , but the moment i saw the guns and all.. i quickly got bored and ditched it Laughing

As for SH , seriously can't wait for that too. I think it could become an instant classic if they give it the familiar helpless look the first games had . I want to be almost powerless when i play these games , don't want to be a SEAL in a metaphysical world ; where's the scare in that ?

I want to see the stuff and run the fk away without even looking back lol

You see Dante even if it is on current-gen I cannot be playing it knowing that there is a better version on it within next-gen, as otherwise right now I would be playing Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes.

No doubt Outlast looks impressive and to me a defining concept of how horror can transcend into next gen, carrying on from excellent horrors such as Amnesia and Dead Space.

You are right that the feeling of helplessness now dominates your senses compared to if you are equipped with an arsenal to fend of the enemy/entity as this is surely the direction horror will go, especially given the talent being hired to re-define horror in video gaming.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum