Le Samourai
Great Leader Sprucenuce
dmize
izzy
The Franchise
18 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

The Official Dwayne Wade <<<<<< you thread - Page 40 Empty Re: The Official Dwayne Wade <<<<<< you thread

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:30 am

I think the extra year in college can be beneficial in terms of maturing and dealing with having millions of dollars thrown at you. It all depends on the player/person...if you go to a school with a strong coach, I'm sure he can better prepare you for the NBA.

Back to top Go down

The Official Dwayne Wade <<<<<< you thread - Page 40 Empty Re: The Official Dwayne Wade <<<<<< you thread

Post by Freeza Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:36 am

ranDOM 10 wrote:I think the extra year in college can be beneficial in terms of maturing and dealing with having millions of dollars thrown at you. It all depends on the player/person...if you go to a school with a strong coach, I'm sure he can better prepare you for the NBA.
No way in hell should anyone ever give up being a top pick in the draft. Anything can happen in a basketball game (injury and such). Noel lost millions by tearing his knee. And that extra year doesn't help in regards to money, most athletes go broke anyway. If they were smart enough they would put their rookie savings into an account to pay for a university degree, if their basketball career fails. But imo, ambitious basketball players will have no purpose staying in school for multiple years.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:36 am

PEro Antic my boy making us Macedonians proud !
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:38 am

ranDOM 10 wrote:I think the extra year in college can be beneficial in terms of maturing and dealing with having millions of dollars thrown at you. It all depends on the player/person...if you go to a school with a strong coach, I'm sure he can better prepare you for the NBA.

Yeah it depends on the circumstances

for the most part I think I agree with Freeza though

Like Andrew Wiggins has been a bit underwhelming in college but I don't think it would be beneficial for him to stay another year.

Athletic players tend to do better in the NBA than college(ie DeAndre Jordan, Drummond), there's less space with the shorter 3pt line and college, believe it or not it is actually a more physical game(although the new hand check rules have curbed that a bit)
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:40 am

dmize wrote:
LeSwagg James wrote:Embiid per 40 min numbers:

4.9 blocks
3.9 offensive rebounds
9.2 defensive rebounds
68% FGs

Only Olajuwon and Mutombo have posted similar numbers in the past 40 years..

In college?

Cause Olajuwon only averaged 8, 6 and slightly more than 2 blocks a game as a freshman.

Embiid has been talking about staying in school.. :xI don't know how you turn down a top 3 pick and 5-6 mill or w/e though

Yeah Olajuwon didn't do it as a freshman, forgot to state that.. Don't know about Mutombo though, ESPN didn't mention that
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:47 am

There is life after basketball (not saying athletes can't pursue said academics after their career), but I think people should do what feels best for them. If your family is struggling and you've been waiting for this moment, take it and run with it. But I don't think we should dismiss the value of a free college education (keep in mind I am not a person who buys into the current school systems we have in place). Anything can happen in life, but I don't think our decisions should always be based on money and income...just my two cents.

I also tend to play devils advocate when one side of the argument/debate has no voice.

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:50 am

ranDOM 10 wrote:There is life after basketball (not saying athletes can't pursue said academics after their career), but I think people should do what feels best for them. If your family is struggling and you've been waiting for this moment, take it and run with it. But I don't think we should dismiss the value of a free college education (keep in mind I am not a person who buys into the current school systems we have in place). Anything can happen in life, but I don't think our decisions should always be based on money and income...just my two cents.

I also tend to play devils advocate when one side of the argument/debate has no voice.

True, but you can always go back. A lot of NBA players go back during the summers to finish their degree
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:52 am

ranDOM 10 wrote:There is life after basketball (not saying athletes can't pursue said academics after their career), but I think people should do what feels best for them. If your family is struggling and you've been waiting for this moment, take it and run with it. But I don't think we should dismiss the value of a free college education (keep in mind I am not a person who buys into the current school systems we have in place). Anything can happen in life, but I don't think our decisions should always be based on money and income...just my two cents.

That's why I say they should make a savings, and go straight to the pros, and then go to school after they retire, when they've got more time and focus on learning and educating themselves.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:52 am

Yeah you can always put money aside from your first contract in case you ever want to go back to College..

Staying in College makes absolutely no sense to me.. Even if you flop and are out of the league in a few years, you can at least say you played in the NBA

Better than risking a career ending injury in College and ruining your chances of going pro, all for an education that will always be there
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:02 am

Keep in mind you guys are acting as if some of these players have that mindset. Have any of you watched the ESPN 30 for 30 "Broke"? If no, I suggest you watch it. We all thought we were more mature than we were in high school and none of us (maybe a few exceptions) are ready to be responsible with that kind of money. Can you get injured in college and lose millions from the draft? Of course you can. But you can also get that first big contract and get injured in the NBA and if the injury is serious enough, you better have a back up plan. Making one big pay check is only as life changing as you make it and if you're going to "waste it", an extra couple of million wouldn't have helped you either way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:04 am

a lot of athletes are idiots? 2 years instead of 1 won't make them educated scholars. Getting the millions and spending them wisely is the best way to conduct your athletic career.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:06 am

dmize wrote:
True, but you can always go back. A lot of NBA players go back during the summers to finish their degree

I understand that and I think it's pointless to have a kid in school who doesn't want to learn. I don't like the 1 year college rule because it takes away ability for these kids to make their own decision. I just feel like some of you are downplaying what one can learn in college. If you know your skill set earn you millions it would be wise to go study something financial or business oriented.

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:07 am

I don't fault guys who chose to stay back. In fact, sometimes there's a genuine reason there. I mean, I'm sure we can all think of a bunch of lottery picks that came out after one year, got zero burn, and ended up in the D League or in Italy or Spain or somewhere else.

Forgetting the extra what? 5 million you could lose on your rookie contract? You really do give yourself a chance to gain some longevity in the league if you come in ready to contribute.

But that's not exactly for freaks. That's for fringe guys who may or may not make it.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:09 am

So none of you think you can improve your game a lot more staying another year than sitting on the bench all year?

Not the case for everybody obviously but some you can tell that lack general IQ among other things and genuinely struggle coming into the league and just are clearly not ready and waste possible development.

I have definitely seen some over the years that could have definitely done with continuing their development instead of trying to fit into a rotation on limited minutes.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:13 am

And all those High Schoolers that have flopped. LeBron, Kobe, Garnett, Howard, Josh Smith, T-Mac, Jermaine O'neal, Perkins, Jefferson, Bynum, Ellis. Seriously the rate for high schoolers entering the draft is probably relatively more successful, do their ambition and commitment to fulfill their dreams.

Mole no one drafted that highly plays or trains less than they do in college. 30 games is the college season right? while the nba season is 82. There is so much time, and much more times with professionals to improve your game.

Last edited by Freeza on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:13 am

I think some players would be better off improving their game in college - not every high school baller is ready (mentally and physically) for the demands of the NBA. But that seems to be the minority opinion in this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:14 am

Maybe T-Mac would have learned how to win a playoff series if he attended college :coffee:

-------

http://www.goallegacy.net/viewtopic.forum?t=34579

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40