Is Mesut Ozil the best player in the PL?

+37
McAgger
chemicalboy99
Robespierre
Le Samourai
El Chelsea Fuerte
El Jefe
futbol
Casciavit
urbaNRoots
DeletedUser#1
Red Alert
Gil
Motogp69
DuringTheWar
Ganso
Mr Nick09
MJ
Forza
Eman
Kamikaze692
FalcaoPunch
Donuts
free_cat
jibers
BarrileteCosmico
Great Leader Sprucenuce
VivaStPauli
LeBéninois
FennecFox7
Kick
Onyx
Valkyrja
M99
Mamad
RealGunner
ExtremistEnigma
3lite
41 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Is Mesut Ozil the best player in the PL? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Mesut Ozil the best player in the PL?

Post by ExtremistEnigma Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:46 am

Natalie Portman wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Ozil has been underwhelming so far? He has had 2 very good games (Sunderland n Norwich) and one excellent game (Napoli), but in rest of the games he's been outplayed by the rest of his own teammates.
u wot m8? He's the best player in PL ffs. Laughing

ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Is Mesut Ozil the best player in the PL? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Mesut Ozil the best player in the PL?

Post by DeletedUser#1 Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:53 am

Not based on his PL displays so far. Aguero and Rooney base on their current forms + overall achievements. Maybe I am just disgusted with him ducking out of that free header yesterday with 10 minutes to go because he was afraid of touching Evans.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Ozil has been good, but based on current form I think the likes of Suarez, Aguero and Rooney have been better.

However, Ozil has been quite good so far.

I personally think Ozil's influence goes a lot farther than just goals and assists. And I believe that's he's one of the main reasons Giroud and Ramsey are doing so well this season.

It's due to the amount of space and movement he creates when he's on the pitch.

Schweinaldo06 pointed it out very well in another thread..

Schweinaldo06 wrote:The thing that you, and a lot of people apparently, don't understand about Ozil is that he is so much more than just the "final pass". His movement in the attacking half opens up incredible amounts of space for others to attack. He acts as a full time release valve for his team. He's ALWAYS open and as soon as he gets the ball, his next movement completely dissipates any pressure that the opposing team might have created. This allows all of his teammates to flourish and even when you claim he "disappears", you'll find that he has his hands all over the game.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:16 pm

His hands all over the game? that's bollocks. I watched Ozil long enough in madrid to know that he is not that type of guy. Ozil is a flow guy, give him touches in the final third and he will keep the flow of the attack going with incisive movements and through balls. He attacks the space in front of him, and that directness makes him wonderful in CA, but he is not the kind of guy to follow the ball and to dictate things. But when he disappears, he disappears, stop the sugarcoating.

I havent watched enough of arsenal to be an expert, but i feel like his impact on arsenal is his ability to facilitate the quick movements arsenal make in the final third, like that wilshere goal. He can initiate that knd of intricate and quick passing to be the defense. At Arsenal he has more relays for that than he ever did in madrid, but that's not technically making the other guys around him better.

There is however something to be said about him playing the "right" passes, and not setting up his teammates to fail, that's something everyone can appreciate i think.

He just got in Arsenal anyway, so let's give him the time to settle and figure it out. When the likes of Walcott returns, his productivity will increase as well. The quicker the play, the better ozil will perform, Walcott will contribute to that with his speed.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Agree with Nick tbh he's spot on.

The thing with Özil is that he's still a young player 25 I think... I don't think he has learned much from his Real Madrid time (well except experience and having the chance to play with great players) I don't think he has added much to his game.

With Wenger it's different. Wenger is not only a football manager he's also a coach, he'll learn Özil many new things he didn't know... I believe his goalscoring record will drastically improve as well as other things.

In the mid term (max 2 years) when Wenger still hasn't signed a striker, I see Özil playing as a false 9 and I like the idea. He plays like a 9 anyway lol and Giroud as a 10.

Something like this (4-3-3):

Chamberlain Özil Walcott
Cazorla Wilshere/Ramsey
DM

And that's where I see great potential, Löw has already played him like this, he was excellent (he could play against Italy as a false 9 as well, watch out) so it could happen even sooner.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Özil doesn't control a game or take it by the scruff of the neck, he floats in and out with brilliance. Against United he was awfully underwhelming. So many misplaced passes and not enough fight like his non-attempt at that header.

He has just played his third big match in the space of the week so I'll forgive him the fatigue but he should look hungrier in the game.

But based on talent if you don't think Özil is in contention you're just mistaken.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Casciavit wrote:

Schweinaldo06 pointed it out very well in another thread..

Schweinaldo06 wrote:The thing that you, and a lot of people apparently, don't understand about Ozil is that he is so much more than just the "final pass". His movement in the attacking half opens up incredible amounts of space for others to attack. He acts as a full time release valve for his team. He's ALWAYS open and as soon as he gets the ball, his next movement completely dissipates any pressure that the opposing team might have created. This allows all of his teammates to flourish and even when you claim he "disappears", you'll find that he has his hands all over the game.
LMAO That guy keeps copy-pasting posts from Redcafe. Laughing

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:04 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Agree with Nick tbh he's spot on.

The thing with Özil is that he's still a young player 25 I think... I don't think he has learned much from his Real Madrid time (well except experience and having the chance to play with great players) I don't think he has added much to his game.

With Wenger it's different. Wenger is not only a football manager he's also a coach, he'll learn Özil many new things he didn't know... I believe his goalscoring record will drastically improve as well as other things.

In the mid term (max 2 years) when Wenger still hasn't signed a striker, I see Özil playing as a false 9 and I like the idea. He plays like a 9 anyway lol and Giroud as a 10.

Chamberlain Özil Walcott
Cazorla Wilshere/Ramsey
DM

And that's where I see great potential, Löw has already played him like this, he was excellent (he could play against Italy as a false 9 as well, watch out) so it could happen even sooner.
That False 9 thing is one of the biggest utopia in modern football, let's me honest, it's not going to happen.

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Jefe Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Suarez > Ozil.

Has just as much if not more talent and a better attitude. Even when things aren't going his way he won't disappear like Ozil did at OT, he'll give 100% to try and make something happen.
El Jefe
El Jefe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Suarez with a better attitude? Laughing

You're right, when he disappears it's not for 90 minutes, it's for 5-10 matches Laughing
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:51 pm

MJGunner wrote:Suarez with a better attitude? Laughing

You're right, when he disappears it's not for 90 minutes, it's for 5-10 matches Laughing
Suarez "on the pitch" attitude is indefinitely better than Ozil.

Only Cristiano Ronaldo and an in-form Rooney have a on-the-pitch attitude as good as Suarez.

Chasing and harassing opposition defenders even if the team is 4-0 up and its injury time of 2nd half. Now that's the right attitude.

That's why a player like Benzema will never realize his potential.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:11 pm

You can't talk about Suarez and ignore his antics. I understand the sentiment and if it was purely about his playing then yes, he's committed but unfortunately the name comes with the baggage and he's just unpredictable. If you have to constantly worry about your best player endangering the team's chances at success by getting himself suspended then you have to take that into consideration.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:14 pm

But regardless he's in contention for most talented.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:41 pm

No

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Jefe Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Suarez' attitude is brilliant. It's so rare to get such a talented player who works so hard for the team, chases everything, challenges for everything, you can see every time something goes wrong how much it frustrates him, but instead of moaning he tries even harder to make something else work. Even when we're playing poorly he'll still be getting around the pitch and trying to make something happen, he'd never lose interest and you could never accuse him of a lack of effort. That's what sets him apart from so many other talented players. The will to win.
El Jefe
El Jefe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Suarez does have a good attitude, he is always ready to sink his teeth into whatever (Whoever) the EPL throws at him.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:50 pm

He was so poor Sunday, the only conclusion I come to is that he was tired. Some of the things Wilshere did he should have been doing all game long.

Second half he was probably the worst player on the pitch, misplaced passes, lethargy, hesitancy.....time to rest.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Think actually he might have been ill. Some of our players had to be dropped because of a virus going around, and ozil I read was also affected
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:10 am

If Suarez ever became available we'd definitely bite. We don't need toothless and passionless players. Hungry players like him are the best especially when they're not mouthy with the media.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by 3lite Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:18 am

Tell me Ozil doesn't have winners DNA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JecXz8Ik-A

Watch this video to understand Ozil's game and he influences the entire pitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfTANf9EDeY

3lite
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:38 pm

I don't think there's much of a debate right now that both Aguero and Suarez are ahead of Mesut 'I go invisible in big games' Oezil.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:30 pm

Suarez is that that a striker must be
he scores, creates and fights until 90'
I don't agree with who says he hasn't a good attitude , he is a leader, he has improved in this.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:Agree with Nick tbh he's spot on.

Chamberlain Özil Walcott
Cazorla Wilshere/Ramsey
DM

That False 9 thing is one of the biggest utopia in modern football, let's me honest, it's not going to happen.

That false 9 thing is just overrated.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:21 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I don't think there's much of a debate right now that both Aguero and Suarez are ahead of Mesut 'I go invisible in big games' Oezil.

Huh? He was so invisible against Napoli, Dortmund, City, Liverpool was he? Or are these not big games anymore?
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:58 am

It's between him and Suarez IMO
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by chemicalboy99 Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:12 am

He has as many assists this season as Pablo Zabaleta so you know he must be good.
chemicalboy99
chemicalboy99
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next